• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro-GAF: explain yourself! (peanut butter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eidan

Today I learn that there are actually people out there who hate peanut butter, probably one of the only perfect things in this world.

Nutella is nice, but it's too sweet and awful for you.

What's the story? If not peanut butter, then what the heck do you put on bread with your jelly?

Jelly? Its called Jam fella. We just have jam in a sandwich. I don't even butter my bread.

Most people I know just like toast with butter on it. Hardly anyone has the time to fuck around with extra stuff. Wake-up, bathroom routine, stuff something in your mouth and go.

Personally I hate peanut butter, mainly because I dislike peanuts.

IceCold

Wait, are you claiming you've never spread some jam on a buttered piece of toast? It's delicious.

Pretty sure that was sarcasm. We have plenty of bakeries in the US. Some better than others, just like in Europe.

Nah they are better on average and a lot more numerous. Some European cities have bakeries in practically every street corner, and they are all full of people and all amazing.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Nah they are better on average and a lot more numerous. Some European cities have bakeries in practically every street corner, and they are all full of people and all amazing.

We have bakeries here too. Some of them even staffed by Europeans! A lot has changed in the colonies over the years! Numerous, for sure. Depending on the town here we may not even have a real one.

hym

Banned
They have real Nutella there.

jbeSdKr64x9Olu.jpg

Klocker

What the hell kind of misinformation is this?

How does peanut butter help control cholesterol?

In one long-term study among women with type 2 diabetes; 45 percent were in lower risk for cardiovascular disease and heart attack when they had at least five servings of peanut butter. Not only did it control blood sugar with its dual combo of protein and unsaturated fat; . it also filled you up 2 hours longer than a low-fiber, high-carb snackAccording to the doctors at health.harvard.edu, 1 serving (about 2 tablespoons) has 3.3 grams of saturated fat, 12.3 grams of unsaturated fat, or about 80% unsaturated fat, fiber, vitamins, minerals (including 200 milligrams of potassium), and other nutrients.Unsalted peanut butter, with 5 milligrams of sodium, has a terrific potassium-to-sodium ratio.

Peanuts are rich in plant compounds called sterols, one of potent cholesterol buster. The sterol not only manages the heart, but it may also keep you away colon, prostate, and breast cancers.

Another antioxidant compound that works for a healthy heart is resveratrol. Along with sterols, peanut butter is also a rich source of resveratrol.
Did you know that another primary source of resveratrol is red wine?

Many are skeptical about including peanut butter because of the saturated fat in it. Studies have shown that saturated fat isn't all bad and deadly. Saturated fat aids the body to create the HDL and the LDL. Incorporating it in moderation is OK.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsl...peanut-butter-healthy-if-it-has-saturated-fat

IceCold

We have bakeries here too. Some of them even staffed by Europeans! A lot has changed in the colonies over the years! Numerous, for sure. Depending on the town here we may not even have a real one.

Supermarkets aren't bakeries brah. But hey, you have the Cake Boss.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Dutch kids love them some peanut butter. The real stuff, with chunks.

It's no match for this shit though. That's right. Chocolate sprinkles and flakes, motherfucker.

vlokken-of-hagelslagdrrkw.png

Well, he's Welsh.

The shittiest chocolate combined with the worst PB America has to offer should be still delicious by Welsh standards.

Shots fired!

Oh snap!

As an American I sure do hear a lot of shit-taking about Welsh cuisine, but British cuisine also.

I realize that they are somewhat different cultures, but is the food THAT different?

Half the British cuisine I tried while stationed there was god-awful. That is a running stereotype in America: the Brits have abysmal cuisine. That's why you see French, Italian, German, etc. restaurants in the US but never British ones. The stereotype isn't true, obviously, but a lot of what they serve really is an acquired taste.

Having said that, the British candy I tried craps all over American candy. A lot of the stuff they have is a bit more subtle, and less of a sugary explosion in your mouth. My favorite was wine gums, which I still try tracking down here in the US.

What is this you're doing here? Do you try to get people to take up smoking too?

Haha. It's war. Everyone over there was already a smoker (except me and one other guy). Considering the amount of calories we were burning and our stress levels, I think a few chocolate bars were the least of our concerns. I was far more concerned about showering in fecal matter, breathing in burning toxic chemical refuse, walking through blinding dust storms, and being exposed to depleted uranium. I'll eat my Reece's glady, thank you! :)

Addi

We never had peanut butter in France when I grew up, but here in Norway where I live now it's a bit more usual. I think it's because the food here is much more bread based. Peanut butter in a baguette? Seems weird. Charcuterie, cheese or nutella seems more french. I eat peanut butter sometimes (after training etc), but the kind we have here is a bit too salty. I'd rather eat unsalted nuts. And yeah, peanut butter is kind of kiddy.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
While you children argue about which of peanut butter and nutella is less terrible, I'll be here enjoying some glorious Dulce de Leche.

Jezbollah

Half the British cuisine I tried while stationed there was god-awful. That is a running stereotype in America: the Brits have abysmal cuisine. That's why you see French, Italian, German, etc. restaurants in the US but never British ones. The stereotype isn't true, obviously, but a lot of what they serve really is an acquired taste.

I think you're being more than fair with that statement. However if there are two dishes that is British and is heavenly (when prepared correctly), they are fish & chips and a Sunday Roast Beef dinner. The latter is sublime with a home-made horseradish sauce. Going to have that with the family for Christmas. Godlike.

Dutch kids love them some peanut butter. The real stuff, with chunks.

It's no match for this shit though. That's right. Chocolate sprinkles and flakes, motherfucker.

vlokken-of-hagelslagdrrkw.png

Oh man that looks delicious. I love PB but my sweet tooth for chocolate easily overrides it. Is it literally just chocolate sprinkles on bread? I must try this.

I eat a ton of it because I'm trying to put on weight.

I don't see why it's disgusting.

Has anyone mentioned peanut butter with celery yet? So good.

Almighty

Sunday Roast Beef dinner is sublime with a home-made horseradish sauce. Going to have that with the family for Christmas. Godlike.

That does sound good I will have to try it now. Time to find a recipe for the horseradish sauce on the interwebs.

7threst

Oh man that looks delicious. I love PB but my sweet tooth for chocolate easily overrides it. Is it literally just chocolate sprinkles on bread? I must try this.

It's part of a basic Dutch breakfast and lunch hehe. Wel call them "Chocolade vlokken" (flakes) and "hagelslag" (sprinkles).

Did anyone else's elementary school have a little George Washington Carver poster for you to read while standing in the lunch line?

Danielsan

Pro tip to Americans in this thread. Europe isn't a country with a singular culture. As stated before in this thread. The Dutch love peanut butter and we have the best fucking peanut butter in the world : Calvé Pindakaas!

Pro tip to Americans in this thread. Europe isn't a country with a singular culture. As stated before in this thread. The Dutch love peanut butter and we have the best fucking peanut butter in the world : Calvé Pindakaas!
I take back all my zwarte troll posts and support the dutch in their use of peanut butter. The rest of Europe should be ashamed.

Peanut butter is for plebs and the uncouth. For the last 10 years or so I've replaced my peanut butter consumption (which, admittedly, I enjoyed) with pistachio and almond butter. So much tastier and healthier.

6161444966_2148805ae4.jpg

braves01

Banned
Peanut butter is for plebs and the uncouth. For the last 10 years or so I've replaced my peanut butter consumption (which, admittedly, I enjoyed) with pistachio and almond butter. So much tastier and healthier.

I might be able to get behind this. Any of you silly Euros do the cinnamon and sugar combo on your toast?

It's part of a basic Dutch breakfast and lunch hehe. Wel call them "Chocolade vlokken" (flakes) and "hagelslag" (sprinkles).

Well the Dutch know what's up. You guys appreciate PB and have awesome looking chocolate sprinkled bread that you can have for breakfast AND lunch! Win-Win.

Holy shit that looks delicious. Anywhere to get that in the UK?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Well the Dutch know what's up. You guys appreciate PB and have awesome looking chocolate sprinkled bread that you can have for breakfast AND lunch! Win-Win.

Also, when you make a sandwich with peanut butter, then sprinkle on some chocolate sprinkles/flakes, it tastes like a M&M sandwich. I used to love that as a kid.

7threst

Also, when you make a sandwich with peanut butter, then sprinkle on some chocolate sprinkles/flakes, it tastes like a M&M sandwich. I used to love that as a kid.

Haha, I just wanted to post this! I used to get that as a treat from my mom when I was a kid :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom