• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro Wii U at 299.99€/349.99€ confirmed for France

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Horrible price.

350 € = 450 $

You're new to this, aren't you?
Prices do include tax whereas they don't in the US. And the $1=1€ rate has been here as far back as I can remember.

I just expected less because that's what happened with the 3DS ($250 => 220€). Oh well, I'm sure Amazon will save us.

Haunted

Expected, although I was secretly hoping for a sensible conversion at 250/300. Oh well.

Definitely not a launch purchase, will evaluate when MH3G is out.

good luck selling that in our economy

Considering how gaming was flourishing during worst part of crisis (2008) I really don't think economy plays that big part when it comes to home console sales. Also it really boggles my mind that some say that 299€/$ launch price is somehow abnormally high. Inflation adjusted probably pretty much same as Wii and way less than PS2 and PS1.

SJRB

Gold Member
And the tradition of sticking it to Europe continues.

Because face it, why convert your prices when you can just as easily change $ into € and grub a bunch of extra money?

Games have been doing this for years, it's disgusting. And developers and publishers complain why their games aren't selling. Well maybe you should consider not trying to sell your game for € 65 goddamn euros, you assholes.

blixa

Banned
I read up on exchange rates, and they aren't 1:1, or even close. So you're saying that 350 Euro makes sense for something that is 350 USD?

Europe is getting fleeced.

they are not meant to be 1:1, that's the thing getting overlooked/misinterpreted.
don't compare the dollar to euro, is all.

JMPerona

Now I want to see that Euro prices transformed in swedish krona. Hope is something like 2999kr and 3499kr. No more.

Haunted

they are not meant to be 1:1, that's the thing getting overlooked/misinterpreted.
don't compare the dollar to euro, is all.
You're exactly right, Dollar and Euro prices aren't meant to be 1:1. That's why people complain about that in here. :p

Yes but USA and Japan will still have the system for a bit cheaper. The tax isn't that big in the US especially. IIRC it accounted for 10-15 dollars in my 3DS bundle purchase.

Yeah but you can't compare the after tax price because that's not really in Nintendo's hands

350 euro with 20% VAT is 292 euro without tax, which is $377 dollars. Not 100% sure of the tax rate but $27 difference is not that massive

Let's not forget we Europeans can't use fancy services like Hulu or Netflix on those devices. Once I saw the US price it was obvious we'd get screwed again. Bullshit.
634798639221257881.jpg

That's the "thing" this gen (at least since 2010 when those media services started to pop). :/

I have absolutely no interest in these service as I can't use them. It's games only for me (as is on X360 and PS3).

From what I've seen, Wii U is an interesting piece of hardware with OK games but at this price point, especially in EU, it's just not worth it. :/
I'm afraid what will it cost here in Croatia, probably around 2500-3500HRK, that's 336 - 471 EUR.

I'll skip it for sure. I have tons of great games to play on X360/PS3/PC and I want to see Wii U succeed. But I don't know how it can in this market and at that price.

That's it.

jimi_dini

"Screw Europe" conversion rate. Thank you Nintendo
grrrrr

The only thing worse than this is the Australian price, poor EatChildren :p

But at least we don't get some broken piece of shit backward compatibility via software for 600EUR (thank you Sony, fuck you too)

Coen

Exactly as expected. I actually feel the deluxe edition is a nice value for money proposition. I'm hoping for some deals.

ozfunghi

Funny thing is, i was expecting it to be 299, without a pack-in game, without even a HDMI cable, and with only 8/16GB storage, let alone the 10% DLC deal. And they gave us exactly that... but also a second bundle for 50 more, with all those things, and now i feel tricked and ripped off because i NEED to buy the black bundle, lol.

jimi_dini

There's preorders already up for £210/£250. That seems very likely as the normal price at this point, it won't sell for more than that.

If they really sell it for that price: "Hello UK preorder"

where did I put that UK power adapter, that I already purchased for my good ol' Gamecube?

dino1980

Now I want to see that Euro prices transformed in swedish krona. Hope is something like 2999kr and 3499kr. No more.

If its any higher its just ridiculous as a price for a WiiU. I was hoping it would be somewhere around area of 2200-2400kr for the basic pack.

NeoRausch

German Amazon now has the official pack shot for the premium edition for 349.99€ with launch 30.11.

white standart not in sight. but i guess it will be 299.99€

i'll get premium....cause i'm coolsual!

Copenap

It's neither terrible nor unexpected but might be enough for me to not get it Day 1. I wish they would just remove Nintendoland from the premium pack and make it 299€. I will wait what the retailers will offer in the upcoming weeks before I make a decision.

Taker666

There's preorders already up for £210/£250. That seems very likely as the normal price at this point, it won't sell for more than that.

At 1 branch of 1 retailer...and an online store that doesn't off a pre-order price guarantee as far as I can see. I really wouldn't bank on it.

I'd love to be wrong.

Foshy

14IEy.png

299$ (281 Francs) = 299€ (362 Francs) = 399 Swiss Francs.

349$ (328 Francs) = 349€ (423 Francs) = 499 Francs.

Brilliant conversion.

jimi_dini

that's the route I went with PS3 way back when...only to end up with that stupid British power plug

You know that you can just plug in some generic power cable and it will work?
You can even do this to an Asian PS3 and it will still work.

What I pre-ordered at weeks ago, pretty satisfied with 350 EUR for the premium considering the pack in.

300 EUR seems to be a good deal for the people not caring about Nintendoland (majority of GAF?).

Faut apprendre à convertir les mecs :/

350.00 USD = 271.068 EUR
1 USD = 0.774481 EUR
That's not how it works:

350.00 USD + 68.60 USD (19.6% - french sales tax) = 418.60 USD = 324.16 EUR

So 25 EUR mark-up in that case.

Wow and I thought we had it bad....
Then again you're probably getting a better pay anyway
Nope, average wage in the US is far higher than in most EU countries.

NeoRausch

14IEy.png

299$ (281 Francs) = 299€ (362 Francs) = 399 Swiss Francs.

349$ (328 Francs) = 349€ (423 Francs) = 499 Francs.

Brilliant conversion.

hooorriii sheit!

that's what you get for not joining our rape conversion money! HA!

....were all fucked.... :(

Will buy in amazon, this guys are going to have problems if other stores lower their prices like what happened with the 3DS before launching. Some stores had it lower than others.

I know places like Media Markt are going to sell it more cheap, just as they always have done for videogames.

With the crisis and the new tax, few people can buy at that price in Spain. I hope they are more intelligent here.

Top Bottom