• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro Wii U at 299.99€/349.99€ confirmed for France

14IEy.png

299$ (281 Francs) = 299€ (362 Francs) = 399 Swiss Francs.

349$ (328 Francs) = 349€ (423 Francs) = 499 Francs.

Brilliant conversion.
Well you guys DO earn much more than us EU folk and you did devalue the Francs vs the EUR (set a minimum price) when your Schoggi was getting too expensive for the Eurozone :p.

German Amazon now has the official pack shot for the premium edition for 349.99€ with launch 30.11.

white standart not in sight. but i guess it will be 299.99€

i'll get premium....cause i'm coolsual!
High
price
five!

Better get 1 job to afford that
I LOLed. Yeah, working pays off you guys.

"Screw Europe" conversion rate. Thank you Nintendo
grrrrr

The only thing worse than this is the Australian price, poor EatChildren :p

But at least we don't get some broken piece of shit backward compatibility via software for 600EUR (thank you Sony, fuck you too)

Its not nintendos fault, its the fucking european law.
They implemented this so there could be price wars but the only thing they accomplshed is stores buffing up the prices.
So fuck europe.

blixa

Banned
You're exactly right, Dollar and Euro prices aren't meant to be 1:1. That's why people complain about that in here. :p

don't know if you're sarcastic or not, but an example would be;

person A, an american with a salary of 2000 united states dollars per month, paying 349 usd for the wii u = 17.5 % of the total monthly salary.
person B, a european with a salary of 2000 euro per month, paying 349 euro for the wii u = 17.5 % of the total monthly salary.

the price is fair and adjusted.
DO NOT COMPARE BY CONVERTING THE CURRENCY!!

jimi_dini

let's all buy from amazon.uk then

*secures his copy before raving Europeans storm the site*

It's quite funny in other cases.
Titanic Blu-Ray LE that got released 3 days ago, got sold out on amazon.co.uk within a very short time and was 45pounds.

The SAME LE gets released tomorrow in France and Germany. Whereas in France it's 40EUR (!!! which means cheaper than UK) and in Germany it's 60EUR.

And the really funny thing is: languages included lists French+English for France and German+English for Germany, but actually both BluRays are identical - they include all the languages (typical fox release). The UK however only included English.

I think the Basic pack is totally serviceable. I would prefer the black WiiU, but I don't think that's worth the additional 50 bucks. Just waiting for Amazon to open pre-orders for the Basic pack now.

I know, and I did. But with Nintendo, I don't think they'll go generic.
I bought my Wii from Amazon UK 2 years ago and bought a third party power cord from amazon fr marketplace. IIRC, the power cord + a third party component cable cost me 12€. (which was a lot compared to the 65€ black Friday wii lol)

NeoRausch

man.....

i don't wanna give the local mom and pop store guy a blowjob.... but he can get me hardware earlier and cheaper....

what to do?!

edit:
no wait! he's married to that thai girl!!!

what to do waht to do!?!?!?!?!?

Guinness

Neo Member
Facebook Auchan :

Nous sommes en train de vous concocter une offre de Réservation CANON Pour le lancement de la WII U !!! Surtout ne la reservez pas ailleurs sinon vous allez être déçus ;) Notre annonce officielle sera faite la semaine prochaine alors soyez connecté. Les bons plans c'est chez Hypergames que cela se passe !

Wait & see, but now I'm hyped

Koren

Don't prices in France include tax while the US prices don't? That'd pretty much account for a large amount of the price difference..
They do. 299€ is exactly 250€ excludind VAT (19.6%), which means ~$320

Yes, there's a small premium in Europe, that can be understood (more complex translation and distribution issues). Not welcome, but nowhere as bad as most depict it.

Not that expensive when I remember buying my PS3 599€ with no games and one controller.

I already had my mind settled but i think it's a descent price tag for a such innovative system. You seriously thought that the price could have been less than PS3 / Xbox 360 prices?!? Come on...

At least i'm agree with the point that buying this in Micromania is really stupid.... you can have like 20 to 50€ less almost anywhere else.

Price will drop after like two months anyway, just like the 3DS. Always get burned buying a Nintendo device at launch, not too many games at launch and price drops in the future. Going to wait it out.

Its not nintendos fault, its the fucking european law.
They implemented this so there could be price wars but the only thing they accomplshed is stores buffing up the prices.
So fuck europe.
What European law?

*cries in his wallet*

nah, kidding. my gaming "konto" is a but stressed by my new tv but Premium edition is GOOOOOOO!!!!!
Haha, I know that feeling, having just refurbished the kitchen and bought a new A+++ refrigerator in the process. Energy savings will cover WiiU costs (or so I am told).

person A, an american with a salary of 2000 united states dollars per month, paying 349 usd for the wii u = 17.5 % of the total monthly salary.
person B, a european with a salary of 2000 euro per month, paying 349 euro for the wii u = 17.5 % of the total monthly salary.

Average wages in the US are higher.

At least you get free healthcare, guys.

Just wait until the South of Rio Grande price!
Health care is never free. Ours (Germany) is just mandatory and the employer is obliged to pay a part.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Will wait for MediaMarkt or similar store chain in Austria to announce their prices

Our local retailers will up the price for atleast 25 € or even more...

Fdkn

Average in Spain is ~1300€/month and dropping

i said it was an example. the numbers may be wrong, but that doesn't take away the gist of it.
There is a mark-up for the Eurozone countries AND average wages are lower, thus we pay more of our monthly salary. Would only work out if it was the other way around.

Fixing prices. Nintendo was already fine for doing it before. Thats why 3ds and wiiU is stores putting their own prices.
Nope, they advised publishers to prevent sale of goods from other (lower priced) EU countries. You can set a RRP just fine.

kingkaiser

i said it was an example. the numbers may be wrong, but that doesn't take away the gist of it.

yeah sure, the net income in europe is way lower than in the US because of social security contributions, cost of living is way higher...but whatever these negligibleness don't take away the gist of your naive miscalculation...

blixa

Banned
totally out of context and off topic.

not at all. also, i didn't take into account other costs, so the american wage being higher on the average is completely moot.

a lot of people in here are comparing it with the usd, but the only thing should be whether one does think it is expensive or not in general.. which there -- of course -- are plenty with that opinion.

blixa

Banned
yeah sure, the net income in europe is way lower than in the US because of social security contributions, cost of living is way higher...but whatever these negligibleness don't take away the gist of your naive miscalculation...

read above. (various fees not in the calculation -- admittedly stupid)

Boerseun

Banned
The pricing is realistic. Nintendo absolutely need to make a profit on their products. Video games is their core business. Unlike Microsoft they don't have a PC software monopoly to fall back on and unlike Sony they're not willing to risk all and go bankrupt for the sake of short term gains. I'll be there, day one.

NeoRausch

not at all. also, i didn't take into account other costs, so the american wage being higher on the average is completely moot.

a lot of people in here are comparing it with the usd, but the only thing should be whether one does think it is expensive or not in general.. which there -- of course -- are plenty with that opinion.

ohha! sorry dude! i just missplaced e period there! og post was:

totally out of context and off topic, but your name and my avatar make perfect sense together! *awesonenauts!*

that's what i meant. because that guy in my avatar is also called "blixa". you post was pretty good, and technical true.

sorry about the missunderstanding.

US households also have more disposable income.

8bit

Knows the Score
14IEy.png

299$ (281 Francs) = 299€ (362 Francs) = 399 Swiss Francs.

349$ (328 Francs) = 349€ (423 Francs) = 499 Francs.

Brilliant conversion.

It won't be that expensive, hardware is usually cheaper here compared to everywhere else in Europe. (I preordered a Black Wii-U from amazon.de for ~300 € earlier today though as the tax was removed on checkout.)

SHarris78

Before all this pricing craziness, I would have been ok with the console (including Nintendoland) costing £280, and buying ZombiU at launch for £40. I've ordered the pack containing this exact combo for just £5 more, so i'm not too dissapointed (been saving for this for a while!).

Oops, meant for the UK thread

Top Bottom