• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: COD: Advanced Warfare's campaign runs more smoothly on XB1 than on PS4

The gap can't close since the hardware is already set in stone.
The only way the gap will close is if dev decide to half-ass the PS4 version which looks to be what happened here in the Campaign. XB1 was probably their lead platform and they focused too much on that. They had 3 years though so its not like this was a launch title....

You're calling the PS4 version half-assed just because they were able to get better FPS out of a dynamic resolution method on XO versus static resolution on PS4?

Yikes...

cakely

I have a ps4 and xb1, and only buy games for xb1. The ps4 just lacks games and both look the same to me.

To recap: You only buy games for the Xbox One. You don't buy games for the Playstation 4, because it lacks games. When you compare the games you bought for your Xbox One with the games that you didn't buy for your Playstation 4, they look the same to you.

I have a ps4 and xb1, and only buy games for xb1. The ps4 just lacks games and both look the same to me.

Mugatu-Coffee-Spit-Zoolander-Will-Ferrell.gif

spwolf

They'll be doing a full face-off later.
Gotta get those clicks.

i had to read it twice to find where they wrote how MP is locked to lower res in XB1 and locked to 60 fps on PS4.

If someone didnt write it here, I would have never found it, thats how much importance they gave to the MP part of COD... which is... hilarious.

pixlexic

Banned
great port to xbone .. its actually a lot better than i was expecting.

maybe ms did send the tech wizards to help with this?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Again, because people seem to have short term memories, the PS4's performance metrics tally up around the same framerates of the 360 COD's. The digital foundry coined 'perceptual fps' holds up well to the point where Sledgehammer probably thought the trade off for superior IQ was fine, which it is.

The XB1's dynamic framebuffer for a more consistent 60fps is the outlier of all COD's so far, and they probably wanted to avoid the 900p moniker for their #1 sponsored MS title.

If it was just drops to 50-55 I can see that. Performance demands vary greatly in a bit cinematic linear game like this.

But 40 is too much. Should have enabled the adaptive resolution on ps4 for frames below 50fps.

nOoblet16

That's surprising. Is this the first time a COD campaign has not been at 60 fps?

On the contrary this is the first COD that has had the single player running this close to 60 with frames ranging in high 50s most of the time (or almost a locked 60 for Xbone), all COD games up until now dropped frames like crazy in SP. The last gen COD games ran worse much worse than this on 360 (which ran better than PS3).

MP on the other hand has always fared better and was locked 60 in BO2 for both console and Ghosts was locked 60 on Xbone. DF doesn't states it but it could be locked 60 here too (for MP)

Quotient

Bottom line they focused on getting MP solid (with PS4 enjoying usual resolution advantage) then settled for mostly solid SP since no one's really going to bother hugely with the occasional issue in that (whether PS4 or XB1 since neither is totally solid)..

This is odd. So on the PS4 they got MP at 1080p and a solid 60fps, but unable to do the same with SP (frame-rate drops), and the Xbox one version is the inverse.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I'm fine with 1080p with a few drops to 50/55 here and there, I prefer it over the X1's dynamic sub 1080p resolution solution. Drops to 40 fps is gross though.

RexNovis

Banned
Again, because people seem to have short term memories, the PS4's performance metrics tally up around the same framerates of the 360 COD's. The digital foundry coined 'perceptual fps' holds up well to the point where Sledgehammer probably thought the trade off for superior IQ was fine, which it is.

The XB1's dynamic framebuffer for a more consistent 60fps is the outlier of all COD's so far, and they probably wanted to avoid the 900p moniker for their #1 sponsored MS title.

This is the explanation that makes the most sense to me. This is clearly not an issue of parity or paying to decrease performance on PS4 its an issue of extra development focus and time being applied to their marketing partner in order to avoid another PR buzzword. The situation with AC:U is different because it is directly implied that the PS4 version was help to 900p because the XB1 couldn't achieve a higher resolution. While I think a reasonable argument could be made for anti consumer shenanigans with AC:U its not really applicable here.

That said I've only noticed a single framerate drop so far during the first mission when I threw a radar grenade. Aside from the annoying stutter whenever the game autosaves its been completely smooth for me since then over the roughly 2 and a half hours I've played in the campaign.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If it was just drops to 50-55 I can see that. Performance demands vary greatly in a bit cinematic linear game like this.

But 40 is too much. Should have enabled the adaptive resolution on ps4 for frames below 50fps.

Its not 40fps, its very high 40, basically 50, occurring for only a few seconds after intensive effects on screen.

If you've played a 360 COD, they are very smooth and basically the same way people have been ideally playing COD for years on console, this is basically like that except with superior IQ and effects.

MavFan619

Banned
I certainly noticed campaign wasn't as steady as mp on the PS4 version. However it's not game breaking levels of bad for me at all, more annoying (and where I'm at less prevelant so far as well) than a hindrance. MP feels fine though. I'm getting an Xbone this week and even with this news I still would have purchased for my PS4 for the native 1080p mp at 60fps.

Well since MP is the main draw (by a considerable margin) for me and I imagine most of the Call of Duty fanbase..
PS4: 1080p 60fps >>> Xone: 1360x1080 (static non dynamic) 60fps
Still gonna wait for the full face off for confirmation of the above though.

RyudBoy

So the tearing could be unnoticeable, but quarter second framerate drops couldn't be.

OK.

A dip in the FPS affects gameplay. Doesn't matter how long the duration may be, it could happen at a crucial moment and it'll throw you off. Tearing that appears at the top of the screen that isn't noticeable unless you're looking for it does not affect gameplay.

But OK.

I can spot screen tearing wherever it's happening. I'll take the no screen tearing version one.

If you say so.

After finishing the campaign, I can honestly say I didn't notice any major dips in the campaign.

Feels and plays great.

And that my friend is because 50 - 60 fps is smooth to all but the more demanding pc gamers out there. Seriously laughable if any console owners find that kind of performance unacceptable all of a sudden. Personally I would be happy if all games ran like that or better on consoles.

xtradi

Banned
This is the explanation that makes the most sense to me. This is clearly not an issue of parity or paying to decrease performance on PS4 its an issue of extra development focus and time being applied to their marketing partner in order to avoid another PR buzzword. The situation with AC:U is different because it is directly implied that the PS4 version was help to 900p because the XB1 couldn't achieve a higher resolution. While I think a reasonable argument could be made for anti consumer shenanigans with AC:U its not really applicable here.

That said I've only noticed a single framerate drop so far during the first mission when I threw a radar grenade. Aside from the annoying stutter whenever the game autosaves its been completely smooth for me since then over the roughly 2 and a half hours I've played in the campaign.

This is good news, maybe next COD will have solid 60 fps with NO screen tearing.

Chobel

All that is nice Chobel, but when we already have more than a few people in here talking about things being fishy and money, what you're saying holds little weight. If there was a dynamic resolution on PS4 many people would be upset, period.

If there are already people talking about "parity" even when the PS4 always has a higher resolution, then obviously there would be more outrage if the resolution was lessened. Any "rational" person would clearly realize that.

Here is where I disagree with you, you assume the fuss about it will be big but I'm telling you it won't any more big than what happened at Diablo 3. And the outrage is happening because the 60fps-ish in PS4 and that's what people value in CoD: solid 60 fps, if the frame rate was the same in both versions + dynamic resolution also in both versions (with PS4 resolution higher in most of the time) I assure you the outrage will be a lot less than this.

Also, when the thread is about the campaign that is exactly what I discussed. There is no issue with what I posted. Maybe you don't like that I didn't bring up the MP in my post because it doesn't suit the angle you're trying to spin, but nearly everyone knows that they are both 60 FPS and the PS4 has the higher resolution in MP.

It would be kind of pointless for me to mention that information at this point and I actually referred to the dynamic upscale anyway which makes that a moot point.

Spinning? In case you missed it this thread is about DF article as whole, only the title talks about the campaign, the article about more than just framerate in campaign. And no, not everyone knows about MP, multiple people here ask about the MP resolution and framerate. And many of them assumes this is for the whole game.
And like I said when people discuss parity they talk about the game as whole not just some part of it and miss the most important part of it : MP.
Some will see it as it an improvement and others won't judging by this thread, but it's undeniable that one of those sides is more vocal than the other and that is what matters.

Here's another part I disagree with, because I think most people care about MP more, and we already have game that used dynamic resolution Wolfenstein that didn't have any fuss about it.

Finally, nowhere in my post did I state that the ACU situation and this would be exactly the same if that happened.

I'm just saying that there would be skepticism with that being so recent. People have been saying "let's see what happens with other games with Xbox marketing deals after ACU."

Some skepticism will always happen, but you make it sound like everyone will be skeptic about dynamic resolution in least important mode in CoD games. ACU controversy happened because the dev said the both versions have the "same specs" to avoid debate and stuff, this is not the same case at all, there is no same spec here, the game would have been solid 60 fps in 1080p in most of the time, and in MP mode the most important mode the game will be 1080p all the time and Xbone version will 1080p zero time.
There was anger for Diablo III/Destiny even though it wasn't literal parity either. You may not care about it being fully 1080p all the time, but others do and you need to get over it.

Just look at how many people said frame rate is more important than resolution or that they won't buy a game that is less than 1080p because it wasn't made for their TV.

The question is how many others? In Diablo 3 the fuss wasn't that big you're portraying it to be. I'll give you Destiny, however bungie guy said there will be full parity, but at release date even though the versions almost had total parity (Xbone version had some stutter in rare occasions) the fuss about it was minimal.

"Just look at how many people..." These people get ridiculed for saying that every time they do it, and they barely represent anything, not even minority.

Then why isn't that feature more standard instead of so many games unable to maintain their target framerates?

I think it's going to start becoming standard this gen. We already saw it on Wolfenstein, now we're seeing it here.

It's a fairly decent compromise.

So the tearing could be unnoticeable, but quarter second framerate drops couldn't be.

OK.

Well, to be fair, developers implement solutions where only near-the-top screen tearing is the only tearing allowed and the reason they do that is most people aren't prone to notice that type of tearing.

To recap: You only buy games for the Xbox One. You don't buy games for the Playstation 4, because it lacks games. When you compare the games you bought for your Xbox One with the games that you didn't buy for your Playstation 4, they look the same to you.

Lol, same thing I thought. Some people cannot finish a thought without getting blinded by their own narrative.

killatopak

Well since MP is the main draw (by a considerable margin) for me and I imagine most of the Call of Duty fanbase..
PS4: 1080p 60fps >>> Xone: 1360x1080 (static non dynamic) 60fps
Still gonna wait for the full face off for confirmation of the above though.
It's already confirmed.
I think I'd care more about IQ than fps drops in a single player mode.
Yeah. MP is another story though.

That all depends what your definition of "runs better" is.

If you mean FPS, Xbox One runs better.
If you mean resolution, PS4 runs better.

In the campaign. In the multiplayer:

PS4: 1080p/60fps
Xbox One:1360x1080p (locked)/60 fps

So yes, overall the PS4 version "runs better".

Here is where I disagree with you, you assume the fuss about it will be big but I'm telling you it won't any more big than what happened at Diablo 3. And the outrage is happening because the 60fps-ish in PS4 and that's what people value in CoD: solid 60 fps, if the frame rate was the same in both versions + dynamic resolution also in both versions (with PS4 resolution higher in most of the time) I assure you the outrage will be a lot less than this.

Spinning? In case you missed it this thread is about DF article as whole, only the title talks about the campaign, the article about more than just framerate in campaign. And no, not everyone knows about MP, multiple people here ask about the MP resolution and framerate. And many of them assumes this is for the whole game.
And like I said when people discuss parity they talk about the game as whole not just some part of it and miss the most important part of it : MP.

Here's another part I disagree with, because I think most people care about MP more, and we already have game that used dynamic resolution Wolfenstein that didn't have any fuss about it.

Some skepticism will always happen, but you make it sound like everyone will be skeptic about dynamic resolution in least important mode in CoD games. ACU controversy happened because the dev said the both versions have the "same specs" to avoid debate and stuff, this is not the same case at all, there is no same spec here, the game would have been solid 60 fps in 1080p in most of the time, and in MP mode the most important mode the game will be 1080p all the time and Xbone version will 1080p zero time.

The question is how many others? In Diablo 3 the fuss wasn't that big you're portraying it to be. I'll give you Destiny, however bungie guy said there will be full parity, but at release date even though the versions almost had total parity (Xbone version had some stutter in rare occasions) the fuss about it was minimal.

"Just look at how many people..." These people get ridiculed for saying that every time they do it, and they barely represent anything, not even minority.

There seems to a very strong vocal
Minority that values 1080p over locked 60 FPS. I could quote a long line of posts if you wish, but would I prefer to use my time more productively.

The reason Wolfenstein had no backlash is because there was no marketing deal and no instance of "parity" before that to make people skeptical like there has been now with D3, Destiny and ACU.

There is a clear difference between how things were then and how they are now and if you can't see that, then I don't even know what to say.

Also, Destiny and D3 were always 1080p on PS4 even though there was "parity", if this wasn't the case for AW I believe it would be bigger than those scenarios.

I'm sure some would believe that the PS4 is just being held back whether it is actually true or not due to the nature of the situation.

Also, I never said it would be everyone, " I said some will care about it and others won't." Of course I don't think that everyone will. Not everyone cared about ACU either or thought that it was forced by Microsoft, but I believe that the outcry would be bigger than the current scenario we have here. I find it funny that you actually believe that "they won't even represent a minority", but I won't hold that over your head. I also don't see those individuals getting constantly ridiculed either, but sure.

It might not be as big as the ACU thread because that one had awful PR, but I think it would be bad because of the line of events that happened before it leading to a lot of skepticism, not necessarily whether it's a bad or good thing for the game (as that varies from person to person).

I don't know why you keep saying that I said it's the same situation either, when I never said that. I mean anyone with half a brain knows that there would be a difference in PR so you're not really telling me anything there. Even without the PR, the ACU situation still would've been big. The horrible PR just inflated it even more.

Also, I missed nothing. By the time that I posted that(10th page), pretty much everyone already knew about the difference in the multiplayer resolution and many knew about it long before this thread when Sledgehammer themselves talked about it.

The only "new" news was how the campaigns ran and that's what I discussed because that is what was relevant at the time that I posted. You replying to my post saying that I should mention multiplayer when I already mentioned the dynamic scaling effectively accomplished nothing and makes it seem like you're just trying to start an argument.

We both have our stance on the matter and that's fine. I really disagree with what you're saying, but I'd rather be playing Sunset or AW right now than banter over a scenario that will never happen.

I never intended for this to be a hot topic anyway until you quoted me for whatever reason. There was no issue with the post.

In the campaign. In the multiplayer:

PS4: 1080p/60fps
Xbox One:1360x1080p (locked)/60 fps

So yes, overall the PS4 version "runs better".

XBO:

-constant 60 fps
-variable resolution
-black crush
-screen tearing

1/4

PS4:

-full 1080p
-no screen tearing
-no crushed blacks
-fairly constant 60 fps (locked in MP)

3/4

Winner seems obvious to me.

system11

A dip in the FPS affects gameplay. Doesn't matter how long the duration may be, it could happen at a crucial moment and it'll throw you off. Tearing that appears at the top of the screen that isn't noticeable unless you're looking for it does not affect gameplay.

But OK.

Have you actually played it? I have.

The FPS drops are being *vastly* overstated by everyone, some people even seem to think it's a true average. Reality: a couple of set piece animations, once or twice on heavy affects for a couple of frames. It's a non issue, they're not even worth mentioning on either system. And the Xbox One is clearly not locked at 60 either like people have said, you can see that with even a cursory glance at the DF video, so it's more like "the XB1 version drops a few frames less than the PS4, on those rare occasions where any drops happen at all".

So no discussion of the actual networks for a game thats primarily multiplayer? Crazy how people can be saying that "cod for the x platform is better because of these graphical features" when you're ignoring any connection discussion.

Top Bottom