• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: COD: Advanced Warfare's campaign runs more smoothly on XB1 than on PS4

Bgamer90

Banned
A lot of people in this thread:

there_is_no_need_to_be_upset-4390.gif

It's just games.

It's really amazing. "I care more about this aspect of games and so should everyone else" probably sums up more than half of the posts in here.

BigDug13

Ok, I would wait for the full break down before we start acting like this game has a consistant fluctuating framerate. They say it happens in a couple of intense scenes and don't even hint at the Xbox One is rock solid at all...

And you completely leave out the fact that both appear to be solid in multiplayer, with one running at native 1080p and the other never hitting 1080p at all. It's COD, multiplayer is going to have much longer legs than single player and how the game runs in multiplayer is paramount to anything else....

I don't understand what you're trying to argue here. I was saying that during these rare instances of framerate drops, a variable resolution would have kicked in if they had went with the same solution on PS4, and then 99% of the time it would still be 1080p. Not sure how a variable resolution would have been a worse situation than this when it still wouldn't kick in except in extremely rare circumstances. And is better than framerate dips.

Why would I need to mention multiplayer when I was merely suggesting a solution for PS4 to avoid the extremely rare framerate dips?

GenericUser

As long as it holds up the 60 fps in multiplayer, I'm good. Don't think I'll touch the single player at all and even if I do ... this only sounds like a minor, minor inconvenience.

Bgamer90

Banned
I don't understand what you're trying to argue here. I was saying that during these rare instances of framerate drops, a variable resolution would have kicked in if they had went with the same solution on PS4, and then 99% of the time it would still be 1080p.

Yeah, you perfectly summed up why I don't see how anyone could be against it. The PS4 version would stay at 1080p more than the XB1 version due to the system being more powerful.

Cyborg

I don't understand what you're trying to argue here. I was saying that during these rare instances of framerate drops, a variable resolution would have kicked in if they had went with the same solution on PS4, and then 99% of the time it would still be 1080p.

Indeed a strange choice from Sledge!

I wonder how it works out, percentage wise, between losing 20 fps out of 60 versus 1920x1080 to 1360x1080 lol

Most likely there'd be more resolution drops on XO than framerate drops on PS4, but the real question is how noticeable are each of them by the player while the game is in motion.

MercuryLS

Banned
As long as it holds up the 60 fps in multiplayer, I'm good. Don't think I'll touch the single player at all and even if I do ... this only sounds like a minor, minor inconvenience.

I played through the SP and noticed drops twice, if it was dropping a few frames here and there it was noticeable to me. It's the best technical performance I've ever seen from a COD title and the visuals are fantastic and super sharp. I think it's the best looking PS4 game I've seen so far, it's very impressive. Locked 60 would be ideal no doubt, but dropping from 60 to 50/55 is, to me at least, not noticeable. The two times I noticed it I imagine it dropped a lot lower than that.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
So the PS4 version has more variety of assets compared to XBox One? (like the guy who gets pulled out of the jeep around 04:00 in the Euro gamer's comparison video)

Ombala

Well the PS4 version is superior in mp with 1080p no crushed blacks and no tearing and 60fps, I know what version I will spend my Money on.
I usually play the campain once and then forget about it.

I also thought they would fix the random stutters in Ghosts on PS4, but that never happened.

Think the hardware being superior is leading to less optimization on the PS4 and more on the X1, I don't think the studios prioritize PS4 because "meh, it's going to run good without much issues", then proceed to pretty much just leave it because it's "good enough". I got the feeling that was going to start being the trend and sold my PS4 for an Xbone.

The PS4 shouldn't be doing 1080p because the effort to put in optimization and cutbacks to maintain 60fps isn't there at all, and I understand why, its kind of pointless and a waste of money, but graphical performance hickups drives me personally, insane, hence I'm going for hardware where devs are forced to optimize.

So your response to this is to support such shoddy practices? Many other studios don't have this issue; conveniently enough it tends to usually side with MS co-marketing campaign.

Alienous

As I'm aware Call of Duty's FPS has dipped during certain moment of the campaign for years now.

That said it shows how a variable resolution as opposed to a variable framerate might be a cool thing for consistent gameplay.

Derpcrawler

Seriously. I'll take an insignificant, unnoticeable drop in framerate over resolution that degrades as action picks up.

Because drops to mid 40s FPS is unnoticeable. Right...
Granted many other CoD games on past gen tanked to mid 40s in campaign or smoke spam in MP.

Not sure about multiplayer, need to wait for more detailed analysis, but Ghosts on PS4 was shit tier when it came to framerate. I mainly played Extinction and it often tanked into 30s.

I would take more stable frame rate over resolution any day, if games would give me option to reduce IQ and effects to run at 60FPS, I would do so, on both PS4 and XB1.

Mastperf

It's hard to tell these days.

I think the only reason they didn't implement dynamic resolution scaling on PS4 is that they didn't think it necessary due to how rarely it drops. Not everyone is dark10x :p
That and the fact it's the campaign where it will likely be played once or twice and forgotten about by most. They seem to have spent their time on multi where the most time will be spent and dlc will be sold.

It looks pretty damn good considering it's (mostly) 60fps.

For what it's worth, I just completed the campaign and I could count the noticeable, sustained frame drop moments on one hand. Threat grenades are really the only thing that are annoying, they cause a split second dip every now and then than can be disorienting.

funkypie

Banned
The YouTube ps4 video of the multiplayer looked like it was dropping frames into the 50s. Was watching the 60fps one, am i wrong?

amardilo

Crud!

I normally wait for Digital Foundry to do a comparison before I make my purchase on the Xbox One or PS4 but I got caught up in the hype and positive reviews of CoD:AW that I bought the PS4 version just because they said it was a constant 1080p (where as the Xbox One version wasn't) so I assumed that would be the version I would want.

I guess I should have waited. Oh well it's not too bad but I would have liked the better frame rate over the higher resolution.

Raist

Banned
Looking at the vids, aren't the more pronounced frame drops on the PS4 basically V-sync kicking in? The average graph is a bit misleading that way, looking at frame time it looks like it's basically one frame dropping. It sometimes happens several times in a row, hence the average dropping a lot.

It looks pretty damn good considering it's (mostly) 60fps.

Surely not best looking PS4 game. But yeah, probably best looking 60FPS game.

Dehnus

This genuinely raises a question why they went for 1080p if drops are that prominent. Why not a dynamic resolution on ps4 too? Would be used less often than on xbox I'm sure, but framerate should be king.
People would whine about parity then. Start petitions, send death threats, etc.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Crud!

I normally wait for Digital Foundry to do a comparison before I make my purchase on the Xbox One or PS4 but I got caught up in the hype and positive reviews of CoD:AW that I bought the PS4 version just because they said it was a constant 1080p (where as the Xbox One version wasn't) so I assumed that would be the version I would want.

I guess I should have waited. Oh well it's not too bad but I would have liked the better frame rate over the higher resolution.
It's not as if the frame-rate on PS4 is anything approaching bad, though. The dips are minor and ultimately much less than the dips normally encountered in a CoD campaign on consoles. Hardly a big deal.

nOoblet16

It's worth keeping in mind that the Xbone version does not hit 1080P often, ie. only when there is nothing going on. This is different from Wolfenstein/Rage/Blops2 where they drop the resolution for a second to save the frames, here it's sub 1080P most of the time with increases to 1080P when there is nothing on screen or very few characters.

Also the drop to high 40s did not happen frequently it was more like a one or two cases where it recovered within a second rather than actually staying at that framerate like the older COD tittles (none of them were even close to maintaining a performance like PS4 version of AW in SP mode). Also it very rarely drops below 55 and it is at 60 most of the time, all this based on the hectic first level and in my opinion that is a very good performance for a tittle that aims 60FPS, while pushing this much in visuals. Calling it inconsistent is the same as saying TLoU had an inconsistent framerate due to it dropping to 48 once.

Beside this is only the Single Player.

Cod mp always drops to the 50s. There is no such cod that is locked at 60 fps. That's a myth.

You are wrong, BO2 MP was locked 60 on both consoles and so was Ghosts on Xbone time. This is certainly not a myth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIY7zCssueY

Ghosts PS3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAfQKYsW_mA

Ghosts Xbox 360
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1H06lzO7bI

Ghosts Xbone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRoApJPchtY

How about Advanced Warfare on Xbone? (Don't have tests for PS4 but that's probably constant 60 too in MP)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6vXkBp_86o

I'm normally in the "framerate is king" camp but I think Sledgehammer made the right call with the PS4 version given the fact that the dips are infrequent and only in singleplayer.

BeforeJam

Neo Member
The thing is, 1360 to 1920 is far lower than the power gap between PS4 and Xbox One. The 560 line gap doesn't explain why the PS4 version has drops. It should still be able to run the game at a constant 60 even without the dynamic scaling thing if the Xbox can do it with it.

It's worth keeping in mind that the Xbone version does not hit 1080P often, ie. only when there is nothing going on. This is different from Wolfenstein/Rage/Blops2 where they drop the resolution for a second to save the frames, here it's sub 1080P most of the time with increases to 1080P when there is nothing on screen or very few characters.

Also the drop to high 40s did not happen frequently it was more like a one or two cases where it recovered within a second rather than actually staying at that framerate like the older COD tittles (none of them were even close to maintaining a performance like PS4 version of AW in SP mode). Also it very rarely drops below 55 and it is at 60 most of the time, all this based on the hectic first level and in my opinion that is a very good performance for a tittle that aims 60FPS, while pushing this much in visuals. Calling it inconsistent is the same as saying TLoU had an inconsistent framerate due to it dropping to 48 once.

Beside this is only the Single Player.

You are wrong, BO2 MP was locked 60 on both consoles and so was Ghosts on Xbone time to check up on your facts and myths.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIY7zCssueY
Seen frame drop

Ghosts PS3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAfQKYsW_mA
Seen frame drop
Ghosts Xbox 360
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1H06lzO7bI
Seen frame drop
Ghosts Xbone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRoApJPchtY

How about Advanced Warfare on Xbone? (Don't have tests for PS4 but that's probably constant 60 too in MP)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6vXkBp_86o

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-performance-drops-on-cod-ghosts-patch

Ghost took a framerate hit after patch. It might have not been a myth for a tiny bit. It does drop frames now.

EGM1966

Unless it's only made possible by ESRAM. Could that be the reason?
What? Nonsense! They didn't bother with variable frame rate because they decided the dips were so minor it wasn't worth it.

The PS4 already has a game with variable resolution - Wolfenstein.

The XB1 variable resolution is merely to let the game get closer to PS4 during quiet moments in SP. The rest of the time, unlike the PS4, it needs to be lower resolution to be playable.

In MP as I read it XB1 doesn't use the variable resolution it's fixed to the lower resolution all the time vs PS4 rendering native 1080p.

A lot of people are falling over to try and spin this as something it isn't regarding the two consoles.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Lets see...

XBO

-constant 60 fps
-variable resolution
-black crush
-screen tearing

1/4

PS4

-almost constant 60 fps (locked 60 in MP according to preliminary reports)
-full 1080p
-no black crush
-no screen tearing

3/4

XBO wins?, nope... not really.

Oh but you forgot a few things:

XBO
- Yoshi likes the controller more than the dual shock
- MS is co-marketing partner
- Xbox One starts with X, PlayStation 4 with 4, X>P
- Xbox One is number one, PlayStation 4 only number four. So XBO wins

All of these are in favour of XBO, so it's really 5/8 vs. 3/8. XBO wins.

wachie

XBO

So you like to respond to the (Eurogamer) analysis findings with your opinions?

Trying too hard.

Riky

$MSFT
I'm almost certain Ghosts on X1 was fixed again, played it a lot and the framerate seemed back to the locked 60.

Ape

Banned

XBO

Hmm. Compelling...

Karatechop250

Neo Member

XBO

How can you disagree with Yoshi ? On a serious note lets all just team up against Wii U people and how bad this game would perform on it.

Top Bottom