• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

I'm still sticking by my prediction from along time ago, 1080p @ s30fps for cinematic games and 720p @ 60 fps for games that thrive on performance likw CoD, 3d fighters, dmc(lol) etc

Orayn

I'm excited, I just hope devs survive with these specs lol.

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that hardware power and budget are disjoint. Budgets have been going up because of large inefficient dev teams, the need to check as many boxes as possible, and spending silly amounts on marketing.

why are people thinking 1080p is out of the question?

it's going to happen, but it's all up to the developers. there's not going to be a mandatory requirement.

we had 1080p games in this gen. they weren't amazing, but we had it. what makes you think it's not going to happen next gen.

a dev needs to pick a target to run @.. 60hz or 30hz and then see what they can pump out. if they can achieve 1080p, they'll do it... if they need to drop the resolution down a bit... they'll do that. we will see 720p 30fps @ the bare MINIMUM for sure. after that, it's all on the dev. i expect to see a bunch of 1080p games at full spec and also not at full spec (ie:1280*1080p or something like that)

It's not, people are stupid. Not many games today push past 1gig for vram, and these things run at 1080p, 60fps, with everything on.

But my W7 is currently running at 1.5GB and that's with a shitload of stuff on background that Xbox won't surely have on.

I'm sure they'll have plenty of functions to run. If a Kinect 2.0 is true, it would need a bit of power with the much higher resolution. Also rumors include lots of media features.

I don't know, just seems dumb on MS's part. I'd rather they went with less for the OS.

coldfoot

Banned
There are 360 interim resolutions (with 16:9 aspect ratio)
between 720p and 1080p. A smart way to develop would be to target a desired framerate and then render at the highest resolution that will still meet it as both consoles will definitely have scalers to do a high quality upscale/downscale to your TV's resolution.

Ryoku

And the FLOPS debate arises yet again, lol.

That aside, the specs spell a great future for video games' graphical fidelity.
I'm inclined to believe that since the consoles are essentially pseudo-PCs at this point, that development for PCs will be easier and will, hopefully, result in better ports for PC.

This still won't stop Ubisoft from releasing the PC version of their games ~1 month later, lol.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
But my W7 is currently running at 1.5GB and that's with a shitload of stuff on background that Xbox won't surely have on.

I still expect Kinect integration to take up some of this number.

Mikey Jr.

Trophies were a copy. A lot of that however was the direction of the industry.
Do you think MS didn't take from the industry when they joined? Co'mon.

MS have brought PC functionality to consoles. Their biggest innovation has been digital, where I'd say Sony remains behind.

I'm comparing 360 versus ps3 purely. Like I said, xbox os is above and beyond the ps3. That is a fact.

Sony makes great games. I am a sony console person through and through. I get the other consoles to play their exclusives. But I am also a realist. MS adds shit to their OS thats makes it better, and Sony really doesn't. They stagnate, possibly because of hardware?

Thats why I said Sony should just add the 8gb to the PS4. 720 is gonna come out with some cool shit, Sony fans will, as usual, ask for it as well, but won't get it because the OS ram is so paltry.

Neo C.

Why launch at $500? Nothing in these boxes that we know of warrants it, and don't you think it would be a bad idea to put the main SKU at a price that really hurt PS3's early years? Times have changed. Heck, I'm not even sure if $400 would mean selling at a loss.

It depends on whether they want to include HDD or SSD. Personally, I think Nintendo did the right thing (flash), but if MS and/or Sony want to use the RAM efficiently, perhaps it's wise not to rely on the blu-ray drive alone.

King_Moc

Banned
why are people thinking 1080p is out of the question?

it's going to happen, but it's all up to the developers. there's not going to be a mandatory requirement.

we had 1080p games in this gen. they weren't amazing, but we had it. what makes you think it's not going to happen next gen.

a dev needs to pick a target to run @.. 60hz or 30hz and then see what they can pump out. if they can achieve 1080p, they'll do it... if they need to drop the resolution down a bit... they'll do that. we will see 720p 30fps @ the bare MINIMUM for sure. after that, it's all on the dev. i expect to see a bunch of 1080p games at full spec and also not at full spec (ie:1280*1080p or something like that)

Most HD TV's back when the 360/PS3 came out were most likely 720p. Nowadays, 1080p is almost all you can buy, leading me to think they'll target 1080p. I just finally finished Uncharted 2 after deserted PS3/360 for a couple of years, and it didn't look pretty blown up to 3x the resolution.

Having said that, i don't plan on buying either of these, so i hope they go 720p, so that i get better graphics on the PC.

I'm still sticking by my prediction from along time ago, 1080p @ s30fps for cinematic games and 720p @ 60 fps for games that thrive on performance likw CoD, 3d fighters, dmc(lol) etc

1080p will probably mean variable vertical resolution (1280x1080 and up) like in Wipeout. In crazy situations where the framerate would go down you really don't need the full 1920x1080 res.

Eideka

Banned
Most HD TV's back when the 360/PS3 came out were most likely 720p. Nowadays, 1080p is almost all you can buy, leading me to think they'll target 1080p. I just finally finished Uncharted 2 after deserted PS3/360 for a couple of years, and it didn't look pretty blown up to 3x the resolution.

Having said that, i don't plan on buying either of these, so i hope they go 720p, so that i get better graphics on the PC.

You will get better graphics regardless, going by those specs it won't take a monster PC to run multiplats better.

Just as predicted.

With MSAA turned on I'm assuming?
I hope. Oh, I plan on upgrading for next-gen...GTX 770 here I come !

it's been suggested by insiders / people with sensitive insider info that the ram allocation mentioned in the article is wrong.

I hope that's true, but if it isn't, I fully expect some mind blowing stuff from the os. game recording, editing recordings, in game video chat, party video chat, multitasking, streaming gameplay online or to select friends and stuff I can't even think about just yet.

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
We also have hard data on Orbis's memory set-up. It features 4GB of GDDR5 - the ultra-fast RAM that typically ships with the latest PC graphics cards - with 512MB reserved for the operating system. This is in stark contrast to the much slower DDR3 that Durango will almost certainly ship with. Microsoft looks set to be using an offshoot of eDRAM technology connected to the graphics core to offset the bandwidth issues the use of DDR3 incurs. Volume of RAM is the key element in Durango's favour - there'll be 8GB in total, with a significant amount (two sources we've spoken to suggest 3GB in total) reserved for the OS.

Right. So the PS4 has 4GB of super fast "oh shit" RAM whilst the Xbox 3 has double the amount at 8GB but a much slower variant? Then sacrifices 3GB of it for "entertainment" capabilities? Intriguing. I just read the entire article and from what I can derive it honestly looks like a repeat of the "HD twins" scenario we faced this generation. It looks like both machines are about equal with the PS4 having a slight power advantage. Ergo the exact same situation we faced last time. It's exciting to see the leaks come out but equally frustrating in that there's not enough concrete information out there to answer the question of "Which console is going to be more powerful?".

I'm not that technically proficient with specs but my understanding is that the machines are about on par. Sony with a slight edge. It looks like history will repeat itself. I think it would have been more interesting if the machines were vastly different from each other in terms of power; but then again if they're using standard PC components then similar specifications should be expected. One more thing that's possible to derive is that it looks like Microsoft's console is going to be cheaper. Sony appears to be yet again going for something more "exotic" though evidently no way near to the extent they went to last time. I would expect the Xbox 3 to come out at a reasonable "mass market" price with the PS4 being slightly more expensive due to cost.

It honestly appears to be a repeat of this generation at this point. The signs are all there. The next generation is going to be one hell of a fight.

So many people taking conclusions. What happens when what we thought we knew, is no longer real.

Personally I have my decision already made, but it's weird that so many people are using rumors to justify theirs.

It has already been pointed that the article gets multiple things wrong.

Fuck me. Now I'm depressed. Wipeout in PS4 would've been GODLY.

Imagine it in next gen Sony's VR. Lord hold me

I'm comparing 360 versus ps3 purely. Like I said, xbox os is above and beyond the ps3. That is a fact.

Sony makes great games. I am a sony console person through and through. I get the other consoles to play their exclusives. But I am also a realist. MS adds shit to their OS thats makes it better, and Sony really doesn't. They stagnate, possibly because of hardware?

Thats why I said Sony should just add the 8gb to the PS4. 720 is gonna come out with some cool shit, Sony fans will, as usual, ask for it as well, but won't get it because the OS ram is so paltry.

I don't think you have to worry about the Orbis OS not having enough memory to do all the stuff you want it to do while it's running games.

Sony have learned their lesson. They're not stupid.

LeleSocho

Banned
I don't like that the GPU is gimped from it's standard reference and while i like that the OS only takes 512MB on ps4 i don't like that what remains for games is an odd number like 3.5GB

So many people taking conclusions. What happens when what we thought we knew, is no longer real.

Personally I have my decision already made, but it's weird that so many people are using rumors to justify theirs.

It has already been pointed that the article gets multiple things wrong.

AFAIK the only thing wrong is the GPU type. Not mobile. Which is better for both consoles. Not sure what other things are there.

But the rumors show the directions that both companies are going, someone might have a preference of one over the other.

720p won't require that many tflops.

And there we go:p Immediately setting the bar at 720p 30 fps (and no AA)
That is why these specs are dissapointing.

@ the 1080p discussion : I'll be really dissapointed if devs don't aim for 1080p.
Upscaling sucks, lcd tech sucks at displaying upscaled content too, polygons rendered at lower res produce way more jaggies, fine background details produce moiree effect at low res too.
Now that the very basic amount of ram and grunt is there it would be stupid not to go for 1080p.

Go ask in the screenshot or pc threads how many gaffers with midrange or low end cards and 1080p monitors play their games at 720p just so they can up their settings a bit more ingame.
NOBODY
The only reason anyone would ever want to lower their resolution is to salvage a low framerate.

1080p will probably mean variable vertical resolution (1280x1080 and up) like in Wipeout. In crazy situations where the framerate would go down you really don't need the full 1920x1080 res.

That would be fine by me. Better than frame rate dropping whenever the situation falls out of being the best possible case, which is half of the time in some games, and games will always be trying to overdo it regardless of hardware.

Eideka

Banned
Can use is different than uses, the recommended spec is 1GB VRAM. PC devs are very good at selling new hardware.

The recommended specs are not supposed to get you very far...You should know that by now.

The high performance specs are where it's at, even then I will take their word over yours. A GTX680 has only 2048 gb of VRAM and I know that it won't cut it for max settings + 4XMSAA.

Xp worked fine with 512mb. No need for more if it's well optimized

I don't care much about the OS at all, but if Sony had 4GB GDDR5 for games and 3GB GDDR3 for OS and out of devs hands that would be much better as games would benefit from an extra 512MBs of fast RAM.

What would 3GBs DDR3 cost sony anyways? Serious question, I have no idea how much RAM cost, but I think people have been saying GDDR3 RAM is pretty cheap?

It was explained in another PS4 RAM thread that you just can't tack on significantly slower DDR3 for RAM stuff. It's not a good design and it would be a major headache for everyone.

I think that's if they split the memory for games like the PS3? I was talking about OS using the slow, cheap RAM and games getting all the available fast RAM. Shouldn't be much of an issue, but I'm in no position to argue that.

thuway

The only point in contention I have with the Eurogamer article is it mentioning "7970m". You cannot just take an off the shelf part and apply the logic of performance. These parts are HIGHLY customized and the base part shares similarities, but the modifications can take it to a whole other level.

Can use is different than uses, the recommended spec is 1GB VRAM. PC devs are very good at selling new hardware.

I already showed him that he was wrong, the guy meant RAM in general, not VRAM. Someone showed the editor took 2.2GB of ram. Those always use more ram than actual games.

B.O.O.M

What game can possibly use all that RAM?

SSM, GG, ND, MM, Evolution, Sucker Punch will surely show us...and I for one am hyped as hell for those games :D

jmmvTNrEFMURe.jpg

damn

The only point in contention I have with the Eurogamer article is it mentioning "7970m". You cannot just take an off the shelf part and apply the logic of performance. These parts are HIGHLY customized and the base part shares similarities, but the modifications can take it to a whole other level.
so the only wrong thing worth pointing out is the gpu? Which is a lot better in actuality? I'll take it.

Eideka

Banned
I already showed him that he was wrong, the guy meant RAM in general, not VRAM. Someone showed the editor took 2.2GB of ram. Those always use more ram than actual games.

I don't know about that, that sounds weird.

In any case Crysis 3-level visuals are to be expected at launch, that should be possible.

AFAIK the only thing wrong is the GPU type. Not mobile. Which is better for both consoles. Not sure what other things are there.

But the rumors show the directions that both companies are going, someone might have a preference of one over the other.

Yeah but AFAIK in the case of people like us means a whole lot. Ilherre for example has pointed to bandwidth in another post. We don't know much about the so called "secret sauce" in both consoles, we don't know specifically which GPUs are in, how they have been altered, OS reserve etc

We are only seeing half of the picture yet. And no amount of AFAIK from people like us is gonna change that fact.

Yeah. It's shortsighted. It's good if all you do is game but I want multitasking. 512MB is good at the start but what about 5 years for now? What if a Durango feature really blows up and Sony can't compete.

That´s exactly what i have been saying. And if Durango´s OS and software feature obliterate Orbis then Sony will have very little maneuverability to do, and will be fucked feature wise. It´s very short sighted of Sony to only put 512MB of RAM to the OS. Very short sighted.

To me it seemed like they reverse engineered the 800mhz 1.8tflops rumour to fit an available card although i do beleieve mobile gpu has been mentioned in a previous rumour.

What if that coprocessor in PS4 is modern Cell that will give backward compability and cover slow GPU ass. Plus Cell can be used for physics calculation (like Agea Physics Processing Unit).

Top Bottom