• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

Ponn

Banned
Yea, and in US, they'll just shove all the components in an empty AR-15's magazine. It's going to make for a great handheld.

Sony: "We will kill the competition!" They could have models walking through JC Penny with them.

Ok joke done.

just some random thought: MS will be the only one to NOT have a tablet controller, in order to push Surface tablets to help built their "ecosystem", maybe even some sort of program where 720 adopters have special offerings on Surface.

720 will ship with a traditional controller + in-built Kinect.

Agree with all this, exactly what I see happening. I'm not quite sure how Kinect got popular and i'm not entirely sure its as popular as MS thinks it is, just more or less shoved down peoples throat. Still they are going to push it even harder out the gate with Durango and will be their focus, games second no matter what they may say. Make no mistake MS intent from the very beginning even with the OG Xbox was to trojan horse their way into the living room and take over.

Derrick01

Banned
i don't know if this has been said already but apparently there is a press tour in london tomorrow. yosp just tweeted about landing there and he also tweeted it will be an exciting week! one of the writers from eurogamer tweeted the following

@ManuelStanislao
@stoneman_laura it’s an huge press tour where the major Sony’s developers show their new games to the press for the first time.

Nice. Hope we get some damn game leaks instead of just system stuff.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think this rhetoric where one machine is more powerful than the other needs to end. There is a very big wrench in comparing things apples to apples. Performance is now dependant on engines who favour bandwith versus memory or higher polygon count over texture variety.

I agree with you, I was just trying to explain why Proelite's latest power comment was interesting to people who didn't know. I've been pretty vocal about wanting hardware parity for a long time, although I have to admit I can't help but get a little excited at the prospect of Orbis being a bit more powerful given some of the port jobs PS3 owners got this gen. Looking back I think Proelite was commenting on which would be the best choice for a one console gamer and not in terms of power, which would also make sense considering Sony's first party output.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Rumoured GPU flops: 1.2TF of which 50%= 600GF add on to 1.2TF= 1.8TF. Is that not how it's done?

My maths is crap.

well, it's a little more interesting than just FLOPS. rumours suggest durango will house 32MB of eDRAM which would roughly translate to 100 GB/S of bandwidth. this would mean each frame can contain a maximum of 3.3GBs of data at 30FPS or half that at 60FPS.

while modern high end GPUs can push 300 GB/s, it's rumoured that the orbis is capable of 192 GB/S, facilitated by its plentiful fast ram and wide bus. what does this mean? it means that combined with the greater render grunt that a 1.8TFLOP GPU provides over a 1.2TFLOP GPU based on the same architecture, theoretically the same amount of data can be carried nearly twice as fast (higher framerates), or twice the data can be carried in one trip (higher resolutions/image complexity).

If he's in London, there'll be PS4 meetings between developers. Seeing how much input EU developers have had on the PS4, I suspect the initial showing will be SCEE game intensive.
Do you mean the eventual unveiling?

I expect Guerilla Games work will showcased, as will whatever Mm have been cooking up (which may or may not actually be a game) but I imagine Naughty Dog and Santa Monica will feature prominently.

Ponn

Banned
Is Apple TV a threat? Hasn't Apple been trying (and failing) to successfully launch their set-top box for over half a decade? It's been seemingly "upcoming" forever.

Apple TV was born out of arrogance and thinking they could sell on name alone. Closed/Walled Garden environment, expensive compare to competition that does similar things and more efficiently (I can get a Roku for $50) and the majority of that functionality built into consoles that people already own.

The Ouya sounds like something Apple would take as a next step (except they wouldn't sell theirs for $99 in a million years) but I don't see that doing very well for Apple either. If someone is going to spend that much money on something they are going to have to hook up to their TV it better do more then just run the app store on their TV.

I think the real threat from Apple for home entertainment is their rumored Apple TV. If it was reasonably priced, emphasis on reasonable, communicates wirelessly with Ipad, iphone, ipod, macbook, etc out of the box streaming everything including all apps and games, that would be something.

You guys aren't seeing anything till E3, best get used to that.
The PS4 will likely be revealed at a separate "PlayStation Meeting" event, presumably prior.
Apple TV was born out of arrogance and thinking they could sell on name alone. Closed/Walled Garden environment, expensive compare to competition that does similar things and more efficiently (I can get a Roku for $50) and the majority of that functionality built into consoles that people already own.

The Ouya sounds like something Apple would take as a next step (except they wouldn't sell theirs for $99 in a million years) but I don't see that doing very well for Apple either. If someone is going to spend that much money on something they are going to have to hook up to their TV it better do more then just run the app store on their TV.

I think the real threat from Apple for home entertainment is their rumored Apple TV. If it was reasonably priced, emphasis on reasonable, communicates wirelessly with Ipad, iphone, ipod, macbook, etc out of the box streaming everything including all apps and games, that would be something.
Oh are we referring to an actual Apple television set?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The PS4 will likely be revealed at a separate "PlayStation Meeting" event, presumably prior.

I think he was referring to gameplay. I definitely think there will be an event that'll show the console/UI/final name and a few game teasers but we won't see any games until the big show.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I asked earlier but I don't think anyone answered, coming from someone who doesn't know what is the difference between XDR in the PS3 and GDDR5 that will apparently be in the PS4 that emulation would need the XDR along with a Cell?

Ashes

Banned
Good shout on the charity.

But leaks shouldn't count IMO.

FWIW, I expect some sort of official announcement by one/both before E3.

No, I meant proper pics of said console... Hours before e3.. :p

But I reckon official announcements will be made long before that.

I think he was referring to gameplay. I definitely think there will be an event that'll show the console/UI/final name and a few game teasers but we won't see any games until the big show.
I imagine the rollout would go something like:
  • Reveal hardware design, some specs - maybe vague, show new UI. Final name PS4, because anything else is a poor choice really.
  • Possibly show some sort of tech demo/game teasers.
  • Reveal a bit about network and other services.
  • Have Yosp/first-party devs talk up the hardware potential in interviews etc. in the interim leading into E3.
  • E3 games blowout; announce price, release date.

You would be correct.

understood. that's...a lot. On PC that's about 2 years worth of performance difference (assuming equal prices). Give or take. At minimum, the framerates should always be noticeably better on PS3 versions of multiplat titles, with potentially a few more effects added I would expect. But if they lock the fps in games like they generally do now, the difference may not be appreciable.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
  • Reveal hardware design, some specs - maybe vague, show new UI. Final name PS4, because anything else is a poor choice really.
  • Have Yosp/first-party devs talk up the hardware potential in interviews etc. in the interim leading into E3.

That's what I'm expecting too, especially if they do wait until May like that recent interview stated. Keep the hype going for the month leading up to E3 and use Last of Us to hype up their first party offerings, then hit us with games at the show. No need to spend time on tech demos or boring stuff.

AppleTV is selling just fine. It's a pet project -- not a focal point -- and an unusually solid supplemental purchase for anyone who owns an Apple product that can take advantage of its AirPlay feature. It's not a threat to consoles, unless people are only buying consoles to watch Netflix and stream their computer desktop to their TV or some such.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Just like the Vita reveal. Specs and design first, drip feed some info till E3, then reveal the price and launch titles along with some tech demos at E3.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
There is a slight chance we will get something at GDC but I believe anything related to the next system will be only shown in closed door presentations.
I want them to wait for E3 just cause I think it would be amazing to see all the crazy shit stuffed into one conference, but there are an awful lot of rumors pointing to GDC for a public reveal.

Sid

It makes sense if they're trying to space out next gen footage from the release of big games, like Last of Us.
It makes 0 sense,that has never happened before either,if Sony wants it's console announcement to make an impact it has to show games at the unveiling.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I want them to wait for E3 just cause I think it would be amazing to see all the crazy shit stuffed into one conference, but there are an awful lot of rumors pointing to GDC.

GDC will likely give us an idea of what some next gen engines are going for and we'll likely get a few leaks from behind closed doors conferences but it's not a venue for announcing a console. A lot of people there will already have devkits.

Top Bottom