• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

nbthedude

Seriously? Because you were trying to claim that rather than buying a PS4, you should make your own HDTV connected gaming PC for $550 that would run rings around it. So, you know, you'd need all the bits that would make this possible.

If you're cherry picking what components to ignore, why not just assume that everyone has a spare i5 CPU laying around. I mean, I have one sat on my desk at work. Doesn't eveyrone

Right and I am pretty sure there is not a gamer on this entire messageboard who is interested in these consoles who doesnt already own a current gen console controller. I was talking about real world costs, not theoretical costs.

StevieP

Banned
Lol seriously, this is getting embarrassing. Comparing an out-of-the-box console with a PC is hilarious.

New consoles are a lot closer to a standard PC architecture than previous consoles (yes, including the 360).The only exception would be the original Xbox. I think that was his original point.

It's not quite apples to apples, but it's approaching that in many aspects of their design.

nbthedude

Also, do you have a desktop PC already? Because if not, you're going to want to get a monitor.

I'm not saying PC gaming doesn't have its place, it has a huge one and for a lot of people it's the place to be. It's just getting annoying seeing people act like consoles are nothing but overpriced gaming PCs.

You need an Hd display of some sort with either a pc or a console and they would work the same with either. PCs hook up to HDMI ports on current TVs.

All I am doing is looking at these current rumored specs. I have no way of knowing whether or not these specs are true. But I am telling you that if they are, that $600 PC build I listed would be considerably more powerful.

That is my only point. If these specs are true they are about what a low to mid tier current PC build would do. They aren't some crazy alien tech that is mind blowing and changes the game. They are a cheap PC current build, that comes pre-bult that fits under your tv for maybe around $400-$500. That is no small feat, but it also isnt anything too amazing.

Valnen

Radeon 7950 $279
Intel i5 3470 processor $150
Gigabyte 1155 motherboard $39
Samsung DDR3 4GB RAM $22
Antec Basiq 450w power supply $39
MSI Case $20
320gb WD Caviar BlueHarddrive $45

Total: $595

And that is not shopping around and going with what I could find in 10 of browsing and with all very good, reliable parts. There is room for skimping.
That setup is pretty low end and not very future proof. For one, that case looks like a flimsy piece of shit. It also doesn't have any of the modern features you'd expect from a modern case, like USB 3.0 or eSATA. For two, that power supply is awfully weak and you'd be hard pressed to upgrade with it futher in the generation and with such a setup I guarantee you'd need upgrades later on. The motherboard is also lacking in features like USB 3.0 and PCIe 3.0 meaning you'll be gimping yourself in a few years. And if you're going Sandy Bridge and not getting at least 3570k you're doing it wrong.

Honestly that setup would just be a headache a few years into next generation, you'd have to throw the whole thing out and build from the ground up for good performance.

Do composite cables carry HD signal?

Is PS4 designed with HD gaming in mind?

Why can't they just pack both?

In all likelihood I'm guessing Orbis and Durango will only pack in an HDMI. We're at the point where those are cheaper to include than analog cables. If you still need composite, and don't have any PS1, PS2, or PS3 analog cables lying around you can buy them for $15 or whatever.

That said, HDMI cables cost a dollar on eBay, so we're well passed the time where anyone should be complaining about them not being included.

Ponn

Banned
You need an Hd display of some sort with either a pc or a console and they would work the same with either. PCs hook up to HDMI ports on current TVs.

All I am doing is looking at these current rumored specs. I have no way of knowing whether or not these specs are true. But I am telling you that if they are, that $600 PC build I listed would be considerably more powerful.

That is my only point. If these specs are true they are about what a low to mid tier current PC build would do. They aren't some crazy alien tech that is mind blowing and changes the game. They are a cheap PC current build, that comes pre-bult that fits under your tv for maybe around $400-$500. That is no small feat, but it also isnt anything too amazing.

And? You expect console makers to take a bath on cutting edge pc parts? Of course you can build a similar pc for around the same, you are completely missing the point of consoles like the hundreds of other people that think they are making some profound realization with this argument. We dont even know what controller they are making for these systems yet but that is besides the point. People buy consoles for the simple, closed ecosystem at a reaonable price WITH exclusive games they dont have to worry about for 5+ years.

Boss Man

Right, the PS4 will not be as powerful as a high-end PC. I think everyone has known that since 2009. The point that others are trying to make is that a PS4 is not a PC, and it won't work the same way either. For instance the machine you posted, while very probably more technically powerful than the PS4 will be, probably won't be able to reasonably keep up with PC ports of PS4 games by 2015.

If you're going to build a PC, spend the money to do it right. From a 'power' perspective, you'll get to play a ton of console games (with better performance), and you'll get a game every now and then that excludes and slightly exceeds them. That's the reality of it, IMHO. It has more to do with the nature of game development than specs. The PC scene also has a ton of indie stuff going on right now, not to mention Steam which represents a huge paradigm shift. But it's just not a console, they aren't the same things.

That setup is pretty low end and not very future proof. For one, that case looks like a flimsy piece of shit. It also doesn't have any of the modern features you'd expect from a modern case, like USB 3.0 or eSATA. For two, that power supply is awfully weak and you'd be hard pressed to upgrade with it futher in the generation and with such a setup I guarantee you'd need upgrades later on. The motherboard is also lacking in features like USB 3.0 and PCIe 3.0 meaning you'll be gimping yourself in a few years. And if you're going Sandy Bridge and not getting at least 3570k you're doing it wrong.

Honestly that setup would just be a headache a few years into next generation, you'd have to throw the whole thing out and build from the ground up for good performance.

Actually his choices are pretty good for something build and forget to play games for a couple of years. The power supply is enough for what he needs and the extra features you listed don't improve performance.

I just feel now is a bad time to build a PC to play next gen games.

Valnen

Actually his choices are pretty good for something build and forget to play games for a couple of years. The power supply is enough for what he needs and the extra features you listed don't improve performance.

I just feel now is a bad time to build a PC to play next gen games.

Who builds a PC just to play games for a couple years? When you build a PC it's for the long haul.

Oh dear. We were having such fun too.
Everyone is being a bit insecure and silly.

For someone buying a new PC they would save money if they went gaming over console. The base rate of the PC has been paid for.

But the console is best if you don't want to merge those two worlds.
Though all these arguments should accept a PC is upgradable and B/C, a console isn't.

Preferences. What are they?
Let's leave the meltdowns for E3.

Who builds a PC just to play games for a couple years? When you build a PC it's for the long haul.

Well he is trying to build it for cheap and appeal to a console person. Buy a PC, play games with it for a couple of years, get a new one. I see a lot of people do this with laptops.

kpjolee

But PCs are poorly optimized and utilized compared to consoles so it would take maybe twice as more powerful hardware to achieve the results that are possible with consoles.
Even if PS4 has something only comparable to 7850 in GPU, but in a PC environment, it may take more than 680 to achieve same results with identical IQ.

nbthedude

Not if these specs are true and we living with them for a good while. Like I said, that system woudl be more powerful than what those Orbis specs are by a considerable margin.

nbthedude

But PCs are poorly optimized and utilized compared to consoles so it would take maybe twice as more powerful hardware to achieve the results that are possible with consoles.
Even if PS4 has something only comparable to 7850 in GPU, but in a PC environment, it may take more than 680 to achieve same results with identical IQ.

Could you give me some research to back up this "twice as powerful" statistic? I'm not being facetious, either.

I'm also not really exagerating the difference. The current top of the line AMD processor often gets substantially lower performance than that i5 I posted in that build. We are talking as much as 30-50 frames per second worse performance And, as has been stated, these AMD chips are not even that powerful. They are more improved mobile varities, apparently. Here is a comparison chart showing variouis game and application performances of the best AMD processors versus current Intel i5s.

The following is a very optimistic comparison of what that rumored AMD processor versus that i5 in the build I listed would compare at since this is a top of the line non-moble AMD currently:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=288

amdflf61.jpg

If you think "console optimization" makes up that difference, I guess that is maybe possible, but that's a hell of a lot of optimization fairy dust that is required.

Durango will be easy to replicate on PC, piss easy.

Or is is a different fish. Expect it'll be a good investment, but who knows how long the next gen will last :/

kpjolee

Could you give me some research to back up this "twice as powerful" statistic? I'm not being facetious, either.

I'm also not really exagerating the difference. The current top of the line AMD processor often gets substantially lower performance than that i5 I posted in that build. And, as has been stated, these AMD chips are not even that powerful. They are more improved mobile varities, apparently. Here is a comparison chart showing variouis game and application performances of the best AMD processors versus current Intel i5s:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=288

There is still a possibility that PS4 may have some extra APUs along with 8-core Jaguar processor to offload some FPU heavy operations. Also, typical PCs and consoles have very different in terms of CPU-GPU interconnect and memory architecture, so direct comparison really can't apply here.
I just threw the line that it may take twice as more powerful PC to run the same IQ as in consoles because PCs are never optimized and utilized in the way the consoles are.

If you think "console optimization" makes up that difference, I guess that is maybe possible, but that's a hell of a lot of optimization fairy dust that is required.

the optimizations will make up that and more. 300+% improvements are possible. And if you didn't realize.

Metro2033%20720p.png
this is what you get when you try to run 360 games with comparable hardware. Thats running the game at lower than 360 settings and not even hitting 30fps.

Ashes

Banned
I have wondered to myself what an FX version of a Jaguar core would look like. Would it be as big a difference between Trinity APU and FX with Piledriver cores?

I have wondered to myself what an FX version of a Jaguar core would look like. Would it be as big a difference between Trinity APU and FX with Piledriver cores?

won't really work out as it is impossible to clock the CPUs that high. They are designed to operate at ~2ghz at best. Best you can do is put in more cores. You can probably fit 16 jaguar cores into a 80W cpu but thats really not something many people would buy.

Valnen

Not if these specs are true and we living with them for a good while. Like I said, that system woudl be more powerful than what those Orbis specs are by a considerable margin.

Any console>PC port is going to have higher requirements than the specs on the console by a good or sometimes large margin.

nbthedude

the optimizations will make up that and more. 300+% improvements are possible. And if you didn't realize.

Metro2033%20720p.png
this is what you get when you try to run 360 games with comparable hardware. Thats running the game at lower than 360 settings and not even hitting 30fps.

Eurogamer's Digital Foundry comparison:

Graphics-wise, the PC version of the 4A engine is far removed from the console versions. All too often we've seen PC games that are identical to the 360 equivalents, simply offering you the ability to run at higher resolutions with higher frame-rates.

Metro 2033 features superior volumetric fog, double the precision in the PhysX, 2048x2048 textures (up against 1024x1024 on console), better shadow-map definition and filtering, object blur in DX10, sub-surface scattering for superior skin shaders, parallax mapping on all surfaces and better geometric detail with less aggressive LODs.

There's also going to be support for tessellation in DirectX 11.

The article does talk about the optimization tricks they used due to coding to hardware, but I don't think it is fair to say the PC version of Metro is identical.

nbthedude

I'm curious too. I'm just trying to going by a fairly optimistic view of what we currently know about AMD's tech. There are a lot of people in this thread throwing out suspicious claims about "optimization" with numbers pulled seemingly out of thin air. "Twice" the optimization, "300%!"etc.

AkIRA_22

Something I'm going to enjoy about having near PC components, is showing how wasteful DirectX and Windows is. When we see what Sony and Microsoft are going to get out of their silicone.

Noirulus

"console optimization" makes a hell of a difference; how else do you think PS3, a console that has 512MB combined memory with an nVidia 7900-architecture GPU, is able to churn out games like Uncharted 3/GoW3/Killzone 2?

kpjolee

I'm curious too. I'm just trying to going by a fairly optimistic view of what we currently know about AMD's tech. There are a lot of people in this thread throwing out suspicious claims about "optimization" with numbers pulled seemingly out of thin air. "Twice" the optimization, "300%!"etc.

Depends on how much modification AMD did with those Jaguar cores. They may beef up the FPU units close to Trinity or cut down the FPU and add extra CUs instead.

"console optimization" makes a hell of a difference; how else do you think PS3, a console that has 512MB combined memory with an nVidia 7900-architecture GPU, is able to churn out games like Uncharted 3/GoW3/Killzone 2?

less than half the framerate and less than half the resolution aswell as less effects like AA is not really a compareable situation.

Jep

I have been optimizing a convolution algorithm for image processing in openCL for 3 months right now. I went from a 30 times speed up vs a sequential cpu single threaded cpu implementation. To a 160 times speed up factor on my own when AMD compiler didn't fucked up the result when compiler optimization was on in openCL i got a 200 times speed up factor.

I probably could get even better result but then i have to work through the AMD programmers guide again or use some bit voodoo so i can eliminate a branch.

So yes fixed hardware and time can help you optimize a shit load. Especially if documentation is good like AMD openCL programmers guide. Wish i had some more time to dive into the more hardware specific parts. Shame all this work will probably not be integrated was more a research internship on how to optimize vision algorithms in openCL.

nbthedude

I would say it has an awful lot to do with the financial resources of the companies making the games.

I believe all three of those games also ran at 30 frames per second at 720p with some resources even rendered below that resolution.

Hmm, not sure if the idea has been floated, but wouldn't third parties essentially just target the lowest common denominator for both Orbis and Durango i.e.
  • 8 Jaguar cores @ 1.6 Ghz
  • 1.2 TFLOPS
  • 3.5 GB RAM

I'm not saying PC gaming doesn't have its place, it has a huge one and for a lot of people it's the place to be. It's just getting annoying seeing people act like consoles are nothing but overpriced gaming PCs.

It's tiresome, and it's staunch supporters even more so. They're obviously more interested in how many people use Steam rather than actual PC gaming, if the endless updates on concurrent users are any indication.

Noirulus

Your comparison doesn't make that point very well, they are doing alot less with alot less in that situation.

In what way in that situation is the PS3 doing a lot less? Now you're just being blatantly incorrect.

Edit: When I say "a lot more" I mean in context with its specs, not compared to PC's offerings.

Hmm, not sure if the idea has been floated, but wouldn't third parties essentially just target the lowest common denominator for both Orbis and Durango i.e.
  • 8 Jaguar cores @ 1.6 Ghz
  • 1.2 TFLOPS
  • 3.5 GB RAM

The thing is devs can use the rumored power of the PS4 to easily improve things like image quality and framerate, and if the PS4 really has a GPU with 50% more processing power and RAM with 3x times the speed, than this could be quite a significant improvement. A lot more than the differences between Xbox 360 and PS3.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Gemüsepizza;46694505 said:
The thing is devs can use the rumored power of the PS4 to easily improve things like image quality and framerate, and if the PS4 really has a GPU with 50% more processing power and RAM with 3x times the speed, than this could be quite a significant improvement. A lot more than the differences between Xbox 360 and PS3.

Yeah, I'm thinking what it will amount to is basically PS4 games running at 60 fps and Durango games running at 30 fps.

Again, if rumored specs are true...the gap is far wider than it was this gen.

nbthedude

In what way in that situation is the PS3 doing a lot less? Now you're just being blatantly incorrect.

Edit: When I say "a lot more" I mean in context with its specs, not compared to PC's offerings.

Or more like the same with the same. Crysis ran at around 32fps on a 7900 at slightly higher than 720p at medium settings. Keep in mind that is an open world game that is pretty damn impressive even today.

http://www.techspot.com/article/73-crysis-performance/page3.html

Here is Skyrim running on a 7900:
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=IBhk_bPan6U&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DIBhk_bPan6U

kpjolee

Yeah, I'm thinking what it will amount to is basically PS4 games running at 60 fps and Durango games running at 30 fps.

Again, if rumored specs are true...the gap is far wider than it was this gen.

But there are so many unknowns in Durango specs so I am not going to make any judgement until there are more credible leaks.
Only if rumored specs are true, then well..

nbthedude

That game is poorly optimized on consoles so that should help his point about optimization.

Some games are poorly optimized on PC (Saints Row 2), some are poorly optimized on consoles. That really doesn't do much to forward the argument that a mobile AMD processor when stuck inside a console box is suddenly going to perform as well as an i5 because "optimization!"

Noirulus

Or more like the same with the same. Crysis ran at around 32fps on a 7900 at slightly higher than 720p at medium settings. Keep in mind that is an open world game that is pretty damn impressive even today.

http://www.techspot.com/article/73-crysis-performance/page3.html

Here is Skyrim running on a 7900:
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=IBhk_bPan6U&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DIBhk_bPan6U

Not even close to being the same considering that the PS3 uses 512MB combined memory for both the system AND the GPU while the specs there have 2GB of system RAM and the 7900 has 512/256MB of GPU RAM.

Edit: I think it's only fair that I mention that the PS3 has faster system memory thanks to XDR, though.

Top Bottom