• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Don't Expect Another Deus Ex Game Anytime Soon, EM Working on New TR/GotG

jobrro

Feel bad for DE fans. Hope they don't tie TR to any one platform for a year and I hope it does well. The RotTR release strategy was a mistake, I feel it would have launched much stronger if released at the same time on Xbone/PS4 and PC. Hope that exclusivity money was worth it. Still enjoyed it on Xbone because I didn't want to wait, but would like to see the sales in that alternative universe compared to ours.

arcticice

Really disappointed that no new Deus Ex is coming out anytime soon or ever. I liked the stealth in this game way more than Dishonored 2

Damn. From Deus Ex and Thief, to getting TR games out more often and licenses. Brutal. I definitely think Eidos Montreal hasn't been perfect on their own end (I liked the new Thief but seemed there were very few of us, MD took forever) but they are a great team. Hopefully they get to do something in a similar vein in the future.

Just do the Marvel stuff and come back to Deus Ex later, with fresh ideas. I love Deus Ex but it doesn't to become a yearly franchise or anything.

Karu

Movie tie-in shovelwares exist in mobile games. Marvel is doing AAA games that are it's own thing.
I am well-aware and I realized that I don't like it. I would have no problem with this if Marvel had their own capable studios, but that's not Disney's strategy obviously - same for Star Wars. Instead they clog up already existing ones. But eh... Spiderman will probably be great. Telltale got stuff to do. EA swims in SW-money and now the CD studios get part of the pie. All fine and well, fans love it too. I think it is extra-ordinarily un-exciting.

Jonnax

They all do. Not just SE.

Of course, it's a business decision that makes complete sense.

But the fact that they halved a game to sell a sequel and not produce that sequel because a bag of money hit their laps is annoying.

If I had any interest in a Marvel game, I wouldn't buy it because they've already established that they are fine with not selling a complete game.

It's a shame but it's why you shouldn't leave a story incomplete for the sequel to resolve. Still think it will come back but probably not this gen.

Neoxon

I am well-aware and I realized that I don't like it. I would have no problem with this if Marvel had their own capable studios, but that's not Disney's strategy obviously - same for Star Wars. Instead they clog up already existing ones. But eh... Spiderman will probably be great. Telltale got stuff to do. EA swims in SW-money and now the CD studios get part of the pie. All fine and well, fans love it too. I think it is extra-ordinarily un-exciting.
Disney tried to get their own gaming studios going, but that initiative went belly-up. Now they're turning to Insomniac, Capcom, Telltale Games, & Square-Enix to fill the void. All things considered, it's a great idea to get some of the best in each companies' respective genres to make Marvel games to catch up to DC in terms of quality AAA releases.

komorebi

This is bullshit. MD was fantastic, though flawed.

But let's prioritize another color by numbers AAA third person shooter. We need way more of these.

That's a shame, Mankind Divided was pretty great (even though one can tell that the game is incomplete).

Don't care about the Marvel partnership but I know people are excited about it.

Karu

Disney tried to get their own gaming studios going, but that initiative went belly-up. Now they're turning to Insomniac, Capcom, Telltale Games, & Square-Enix to fill the void. All things considered, it's a great idea to get some of the best in each companies' respective genres to make Marvel games to catch up to DC in terms of quality AAA releases.
I never said it's a bad idea from Marvel's side of things. It's the best idea. I talked about why I don't think it's excited for me personally.

Neoxon

I never said it's a bad idea from Marvel's side of things. It's the best idea. I talked about why I don't think it's excited for me personally.
I feel like Marvel games taking effort away from other projects may only be an issue concerning SE & maybe Insomniac. MvC is Capcom's 2nd biggest fighting game franchise, behind only Street Fighter. Telltale makes a shit-ton of franchises into games. And Insomniac likely has another Ratchet & Clank game in development, though I can understand the concern of them not doing a new IP or something along those lines.

If it were another publisher I probably would've given them the benefit of doubt but it's square, so I feel like they probably mismanaged their studios into this situation.

They really do seem incompetent. Underwhelming ROTTR sales due to a stupid deal, trying to pull pre order shenanigans with MD, the inordinately stupid amount of money spent on FFXV's marketing... mess.

Jumeira

Banned
About 2 hrs into MD, the Dubai level was awful, completely lost all my enthusiasm to play. The story is rubbish as well, I'll endure though. Just after I beat FF15 .

Good. Put it on ice for a while and reboot it eventually. Closer to the original Deus Ex

Perhaps it'll do the series good, Deus Ex VR in another 5-6 years would be mind-blowing
More interesting is another Developer is working on a Tomb Raider game something that hasn't happened in nearly 2 decades

11 years isn't nearly 2 decades

edit: 14 years.

Jb

Hard to blame them honestly.
MD took a really long time to come out for a game that was so similar to HR from a design standpoint. If the "second half" of that game was really supposed to be the last third of the trilogy I don't see how it could have done well. Plus I think the HR formula was already getting a little stale.

I'm really sad about this because Deus Ex is such a unique and compelling series, but maybe they'll come up with a fresh new take in a few years.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
That's a shame but something went terribly wrong with Mankind Divided, it took them 5 years to make half a game. Square can only blame themselves for taking so long to make a glorified expansion pack to HR.

Isotropy

This is so sad.

Deus Ex deserved better. Both from Square and from us gamers.

The five year gap was way too much. MD lacked the insane narrative sweep of the original, as much as it nailed hub design.

Above all, we gamers often just have terrible taste :(

Jito

Banned
That's cool, they deserve to work on something new instead of being pinned as the Deus Ex studio. Shame that MD felt like half of a larger game though, perhaps another studio is working on the follow up.

Owners: 1,295,004 ± 32,370

I don't think that deal affected PC sales of the game.
Also it looks like it's selling pretty good on PS4/Pro.
It definitely didn't flop but I don't think it did as much as they wanted it to, either. I think it was probably at the low end of their expectations. Also it was discounted to $40 a month after launch on Xbox and $36 a month or two after launch on PS4.

What are Crystal Dynamics working on then?
Do these guys get rolled into the CD team, or is this an Ubi situation of having multiple teams on the same game?

The writing was clearly on the wall the moment they announced the partnership. They know where the money pot is. =(

That's not to say I can't also be excited at the prospect of a well-executed Avengers game, or even better, a potential Guardians of the Galaxy game especially if it's handled as a kind of space opera role-playing game, but not at the expense of Deus Ex for the foreseeable future.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
This is pretty damn terrible news TBH, I loved Mankind Divided: hopefully it's just a temporary hiatus, I much prefer the DeusEx series to TR/Anything Marvel.

I was extremely disappointed with Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Some of the side missions were terrible. At first, I thought it was pretty cool to get a few side missions in between the main story, but they were... not good. I don't know if any of them were good, which would have offset the bad ones. One involved killing a bird and running back to the person who gave me the mission. Another involved pressing Square by some equipment, running halfway across the map to deliver the equipment, and then running all the way back. That's it. Like, wtf?

Wasn't impressed with the main story, and there was something lacking in the level design, especially after playing Uncharted 4.

Top Bottom