• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Don't Expect Another Deus Ex Game Anytime Soon, EM Working on New TR/GotG

EGM1966

I remain amazed they managed to squander what I feel was a lot of goodwill and positive momentum taking way too long to release a sequel and then having it feel unfinished and lacking vs HR. I don't know details behind the final story design and focus on one big hub but it just didn't deliver for most fans I feel and the gap in time let the positive reception of HR diminish.

PR and marketing wasn't great either IMHO.

Seems for every good SE supported title one gets messed up somehow.

Jonnax

So is Jensen
a clone
in MD?

Well
The game doesn't really say whether Jensen is a clone, however you can find what appears to be clones of him in cryogenic sleep. Though he doesn't react to it.

As well as this there's plenty of hints that Jensen may or may not be a clone.

Machina

Banned
I remain amazed they managed to squander what I feel was a lot of goodwill and positive momentum taking way too long to release a sequel and then having it feel unfinished and lacking vs HR. I don't know details behind the final story design and focus on one big hub but it just didn't deliver for most fans I feel and the gap in time let the positive reception of HR diminish.

PR and marketing wasn't great either IMHO.

Seems for every good SE supported title one gets messed up somehow.

The BS with the pre-order "tiers" didn't help

Not sure if you're talking about Deus Ex or TR, I'd rather they put a bullet in a Marvel game, unless they're doing it Rocksteady justice, then why bother IMO.
That is the point of the studios they are getting to do them. They aren't going to Insomniac just to get them to make an Activision level Spider-Man.

xealo

For any game that gets the kind of approval ratings the latest tomb raider has via steam reviews, it's not the game being crap, it's you that just didn't like the game rather than the game being objectively terrible.

xrnzaaas

One of the problems I see is that Mankind Divided's development shouldn't take five years. They've devoted so much money and time to this project that imo it would end up being in jeopardy even if the sequel would sell on par with Human Revolution.

It was at "well over" 1 million copies sold 2 months after the XB1 release.
Add to that around 1.5 million copies sold on PC only.
Add to that PS4 sales...

I say you are wrong.

Disappointing sales. Huge drop from the reboot. Brand damaged on its most popular platform. IP has been handed to the B team.

Mankind Divided was an utterly fantastic game that got saddled with an utterly false reputation as "unfinished and microtransaction riddled half a game" when it was absolutely nothing of the sort.

AHA-Lambda

Mankind Divided was an utterly fantastic game that got saddled with an utterly false reputation as "unfinished and microtransaction riddled half a game" when it was absolutely nothing of the sort.

Indeed. It's been a highly unfairly treated game in some respects.

It'll be another Bioshock 2 and people will eventually give it the credit it's due.

Still less disappointing that DE it looks like.
ROTTR was best selling SE title of 2016 on Steam. I guess it's doing fine for them.

Oh I didn't know it was a comparison as to which project performed worse commercially. Definitely Deus Ex, but that isn't a very high bar. In the end one goes on hiatus again the other gets de-emphasized and passed to a different studio. We will have to see which fate is worse.

EGM1966

The BS with the pre-order "tiers" didn't help

Yeah that really soured me I have to admit. I saw that as part of the "mangling" of the franchise rather like the dumb Tomb Raider deal on XB1.

TBH I've been musing recently (even considered a thread) that after PS3/360 gen and deals like TR the videogame audience has been "put off" and is wary of titles that seem to be pulling bullshit like unwanted deals and DLC tiers.

A lot of franchises have slipped this gen, enough to be worrying to publishers and developers I'm sure. And while there's a lot of factors involved I feel there's a definite trend of people being put of being "mucked around" by obvious deals, unclear communication and generally having doubts what they're being asked to pay full price for is worth it at the point of time purchase can be made.

Personally any whiff of this dampens my interest in buying a game currently and for sure will have me avoiding any kind of day 1 purchase.

NeoRaider

Oh I didn't know it was a comparison as to which project turned out worse. Definitely Deus Ex, but that isn't a very high bar.

You are just being negative now for no reason.

I am talking about which project turned out better for them. That's what you were talking about. Sales.
I am positive about ROTTR sales and performance.

Edit: Also EM is not working on Shadow of the Tomb Raider alone, CD is with them.

Tomb Raider is fantastic and I'm excited for their Avengers project and all but I'd really rather another Deus Ex. The series deserves so much better.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This thread reminds me I should really muster up the interest to finish Mankind Divided.

ffvorax

That's a shame... :(

I love DE series, and even if MD was not good as HR, it's still a nice rpg where I can play all without killing anyone and with a good futuristic universe...

I have enough of TR... we have a million of games about TR... also ROTR was really disappointing, much more than MD...

Probably sell-wise TR was much better than MD...

Kinyou

The amount of negative hyperbole surrounding the game was very sad to see

Morts

I could've sworn there was a Eurogamer story around the time Mankind Divided came out that said the next Deus Ex was being worked on side by side with MD for a while and we might see it sooner than expected.

Also so much negativity in here about both Deus Ex and RotTR. Both were great.

Jb

Indeed. It's been a highly unfairly treated game in some respects.

It'll be another Bioshock 2 and people will eventually give it the credit it's due.

By Bioshock 2 do you mean Minerva's Den? Because 2 was a pretty dull rehash of 1 imo. Better gunplay but very repetitive structure and inferior narrative to the original.

I can see the parallels with Mankid Divided though.

Chumley

Banned
Oh I didn't know it was a comparison as to which project performed worse commercially. Definitely Deus Ex, but that isn't a very high bar. In the end one goes on hiatus again the other gets de-emphasized and passed to a different studio. We will have to see which fate is worse.

Deus Ex needs another game to bridge the gap between MD and the original. I just hope I live to see it.

robotrock

Banned
Why don't you explain why you brought it up first.
People we're talking about the games poor marketing so I brought up those two lines. To be fair, "augs live matter" was just a piece of concept art and not meant to be marketed.

I didn't understand what you were trying to say with your post.

Pagusas

Elden Member
further confirming my taste in games are no longer relevant in the current market, Mankind Devided (and Human Revolution) were both my games of the years. Its a crime that MD sold so bad. I know the game industry has moved beyond me, I just need to give it up at some point, but keep hanging onto hope we'll see the type of games I love stick around.

Un4

I'm very sad about this.

Loved HR and MD, although the last one was clearly cut in two. I wonder if we are ever going to see the last part.

Curufinwe

People we're talking about the games poor marketing so I brought up those two lines. To be fair, "augs live matter" was just a piece of concept art and not meant to be marketed.

I didn't understand what you were trying to say with your post.

You not liking something doesn't make it poor marketing, and it had nothing to do with its sales. It was an accurate description of what it felt like playing the game.

further confirming my taste in games are no longer relevant in the current market, Mankind Devided (and Human Revolution) were both my games of the years. Its a crime that MD sold so bad. I know the game industry has moved beyond me, I just need to give it up at some point, but keep hanging onto hope we'll see the type of games I love stick around.

I loved Human Revolution, but by the time Mankind Divided was released I didn't care any more. They fucked up with long gap between releases and what makes it so bad is instead of getting the sequel out in a timely manner they made a turd of a Thief game instead. Just poor management.

robotrock

Banned
You not liking something doesn't make it poor marketing, and has nothing to do with its sales. It was an accurate description of what it felt like playing the game.
The "mechanical apartheid" thing was absolutely marketing, it was how they sold their game at Square Enix's E3 press conference. While I absolutely do not think it was the reason the game didn't sell, it's definitely a piece of marketing.

I don't know what you're saying with "Deus Ex Mankind Divided made me feel mechanical apartheid". This doesn't make sense

Gator86

Agreed. It seems almost arbitrary which games get that distinction these days. MD was absolutely a finished, and polished, game when it launched. Breach mode was an absolute throwaway and clear inclusion as an attempt at a continuous revenue generator. Even still, you could easily ignore the mode entirely as it had no bearing on the rest of the game. Its's basically the MP on the new Doom - shit extras that neither add nor detract from the base game.

The microtransactions are completely benign as well. The game clearly wasn't designed with them in mind in any way. I completely forgot they were even in the game during my first playthrough. To severely criticize the core product because of stuff like that is cutting off your nose to spite your face. I hate it too, but that's the type of shit we're going to keep seeing if we want big single player games moving forward, in most cases.

Top Bottom