• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Don't Expect Another Deus Ex Game Anytime Soon, EM Working on New TR/GotG

Fitts

Mankind Divided was an utterly fantastic game that got saddled with an utterly false reputation as "unfinished and microtransaction riddled half a game" when it was absolutely nothing of the sort.

Indeed. I had no idea that there were criticisms of the game's length until I took to GAF after beating it. (as I often do with games) I put about 30 hours into my first campaign play through and it didn't feel as though content was cut or anything. Yes there were some "modernisms," (microtransactions, QR codes that required a separate app) but they were easily ignored. The only thing I truly hated about it was that it was that it was saddled with DRM.

Our only hope is for that Marvel game to be more Deus Ex than Tomb Raider, but I highly doubt it. And I doubt EM will be given the freedom to make a good TR game or take the series in an interesting new direction.

Dezzy

I hope these guys can take Tomb Raider where it should be, and not just do what Crystal Dynamics did with it. I want huge, dark and dangerous tombs and caves. Less human enemies, and less human interaction overall.

If they do go story heavy, well at least Deus Ex shows that they can make good ones.

ckaneo

Why are people saying fuck marvel, the more money the make the more likely they are to take a chance on lower selling franchises....

For taking up Square Enix's resources. No doubt if they didn't have to focus on the Marvel properties between studios they'd be pumping more money into building their own franchises ie. Deus Ex
If Mankind Divided was legitimately a sales dissapointment, the franchise would've been shelved regardless. Marvel's involvement doesn't make a lick of difference. Square-Enix would've put the team to making anything that would've sold better than a third Deus Ex.

Bluth54

Sad news but not unexpected considering how the last one sold. I know there were rumors that they were working on both games at the same time, I was hoping the next one was far enough along that they wouldn't cancel it.

sublimit

Banned
I hope these guys can take Tomb Raider where it should be, and not just do what Crystal Dynamics did with it. I want huge, dark and dangerous tombs and caves. Less human enemies, and less human interaction overall.

If they do go story heavy, well at least Deus Ex shows that they can make good ones.

Don't get your hopes up,Crystal Dynamics probably still works on TR unless they officially state otherwise. I assume it's something like the reboot where EM worked on the MP part.Maybe for SOTTR they assign them more responsibilities but i guess CD will still have the full reign on the overall project.

Ninjimbo

MD was my GOTY. You only see games like that come out once every few years. It sucks to see the series shelved but that's the reality of the market. There's too much stuff out there.

I hope Dishonored sold well. It's the only other series that does what Deus Ex did. This kind of game should exist.

xabbott

That sucks. It was one of my favorite games last year. Mankind Divided offered a combination of gameplay I don't find in other games. :(

For taking up Square Enix's resources. No doubt if they didn't have to focus on the Marvel properties between studios they'd be pumping more money into building their own franchises ie. Deus Ex
That isn't what is happening.

Deus Ex did not deliver sales wise and SE was able to find them (safe) work with Marvel. Either way, Deus Ex was going to go on the backburner and making new IP or what not isn't safe. Especially right after a financial letdown.

Kaizer

Banned
Meh, fuck the haters, I'm excited as hell for the potential from the Marvel projects. Other than Batman, there hasn't been a fantastic comic book game on consoles since the first Marvel Ultimate Alliance. I get disappointed every time I hear of a new Marvel game only to find out it's more tablet/smartphone "tap to win" & buy card packs/gems/in-game currency/random item chests. So along with Insomniac, the idea that big AAA developers are getting behind Marvel to work on these projects has me hopeful.

I'm sad they won't be wrapping up the Deus Ex trilogy anytime soon, as I enjoyed, but didn't love, Mankind Divided quite a bit. And I also still enjoy the Tomb Raider games quite a bit as well. To me they've felt like Uncharted-sequel games with the deeper RPG elements I wish Uncharted would have.

Vic_Viper

Deus Ex was the series I was most interested in after Metal Gear ended. This is a sad day for fans of the series and genre.

I liked the first Tomb Raider but in no way was I blown away by it like DEHR. Played RotTR here and there, need to start over and see how I like it. Was any of the DLC worth checking out for the latest Tomb Raider?

graywolf323

I actually really enjoyed Mankind Divided (even if it was a bit of a letdown after Human Revolution)

just finished a pPacifist/Foxiest of the Hounds run and this news is really disappointing because I wanted to finish the trilogy

Vibranium

Banned
Damn. Well, back to playing the original Deus Ex I guess. And Invisible War someday I suppose.

Maybe someday the franchise will return farther in the future. And with some stronger themes.

StereoVsn

That isn't what is happening.

Deus Ex did not deliver sales wise and SE was able to find them (safe) work with Marvel. Either way, Deus Ex was going to go on the backburner and making new IP or what not isn't safe. Especially right after a financial letdown.
Yeap, Marvel hate is irrational. Deus Ex wasn't marketed well and took hits for bad performance on PC, microtransactions and being unfinished.

Whether or not taken of these items were correct or not, SE basically did the game in. It didn't help that development took 5 years.

At least Marvel work means that there won't be firings. Plus, a Marvel game with kind of interactivity and hub that was present in Deus Ex would be pretty damn amazing. Hopefully get coukd reuse Deus Ex engine to cut on costs and accelerate development.

dc89

I'm thinking of picking Mankind Divided up soon, it's getting pretty cheap in the UK now, as little as £15 at some places.

Vintage

I didn't enjoy my time with DX:MD. Felt like a boring unnecessary expansion to Human Revolution. Maybe it's ok to take a break.

DrD

Shelving Deus Ex for Tomb Raider is pretty disappointing, but I'm looking forward to the Marvel games. Wish we could get an Arkane developed Deus Ex.

-NeoTB1-

Sigh. I have more interest in Deus Ex than Tomb Raider, and have absolutely zero interest in whatever Marvel stuff they are working on. Still, I like the studio, so I hope they continue to do well with whatever games they are making.

As depressed as I am about Deus Ex- Jensen Saga not getting the send-off it deserves, as long as I can play as Rocket Raccoon in the GotG game I may forgive them.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I'm disappointed to hear this news. MD was a really good game and more importantly, Adam Jensen's story isn't finished yet.

Top Bottom