• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: FIFA 06: Road to FIFA World Cup (X360) review - 2/10

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Unless they're filthy rich World Cup-only fans who don't know what club football is, anybody who pays $60 for FIFA 360 should be removed from the gene pool before they reproduce.

It's explained at the EG forums - EA have put an embargo on reviews of the European version of the game being published before the release date of 2nd December.

vas

Prine said:
Jeez, a review by the overly harsh Eurogamer isnt going to stop any Casuals from picking it up. For us hardcore, we never depend on EA games to sell us systems. How does this effect the launch? It doesnt

Casuals will eat it up regardless
Word of mouth travels fast, if some casuals realise how shockongly bad this "next-gen" fifa is, they will tell their casual friends who in turn will tell their friends....and so on...

I predict Dreamcast type numbers for 360, people will wait for PS3 once they realise how mediocre the line-up of 360 games is. Actually MS might even do worse than sega, dreamcast was technically leaps beyond competion (n64, ps). Can't say they same about 360, sure it's prettier but not that much prettier. Imo there was a bigger jump from ps2 to xbox than there is from xbox to 360.

Prine

Banned
vas said:
Word of mouth travels fast, if some casuals realise how shockongly bad this "next-gen" fifa is, they will tell their casual friends who in turn will tell their friends....and so on...

I predict Dreamcast type numbers for 360, people will wait for PS3 once they realise how mediocre the line-up of 360 games is. Actually MS might even do worse than sega, dreamcast was technically leaps beyond competion (n64, ps). Can't say they same about 360, sure it's prettier but not that much prettier. Imo there was a bigger jump from ps2 to xbox than there is from xbox to 360.

My casual mate and his friends seemed to love it when they went to the NUTs party afew weeks ago. He was talking how great it looked and animated when we were driving to Uni.

And Dreamcast numbers? Have you seen the pre-order madness all over UK? From what i've witnessed , MS are going to have a great Xmas in UK. And how can Xbox360 do worse than DC, when Xbox itself smashed DC sales.

Its going to be all over the news on 2nd December.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
TTP said:
was the page removed?

yeah, they apparently put it up early by mistake as some other site or magazine has an exclusive on the review. It'll go up on Dec 2nd. I think the forum at greenhillzone.co.uk has the full text cut and pasted, though.

vas

Prine said:
My casual mate and his friends seemed to love it when they went to the NUTs party afew weeks ago. He was talking how great it looked and animated when we were driving to Uni.

And Dreamcast numbers? Have you seen the pre-order madness all over UK? From what i've witnessed , MS are going to have a great Xmas in UK. And how can Xbox360 do worse than DC, when Xbox itself smashed DC sales.

Its going to be all over the news on 2nd December.

There was also pre-order madness for the DC. It's what happens after launch that matters. Xbox didn't do too well at launch, primarily because of the steep price (which was then cut by £100 only weeks later), but it picked up momentum from word of mouth. I think 360 will do worse than than the original. Imo sales will decline after the launch/xmas madness rather sharply especially since there isnt much on the horizon in terms of games (only Oblivion is worthy of consideration).

I really think that MS should have played the same strategy with 360 as with the xbox, that is come in after the competition (ps3/revolution) and come in stronger, more powerefull and reliable.

Another point worth mentioning is that some xbox adopters are rather peeved about the 360 coming out so early. If you remember, xbox only launched some 3 years ago in the UK. Dropping support for the original 2 years earlier than the usual 5 year cycle will certainly piss off quite a few loyal customers.

hadareud

The Translator
vas said:
There was also pre-order madness for the DC. It's what happens after launch that matters. Xbox didn't do too well at launch, primarily because of the steep price (which was then cut by £100 weeks later), but it picked up momentum from word of mouth. I think 360 will do worse than than the original. Imo sales will decline after the launch/xmas madness rather sharply especially since there isnt much on the horizon in terms of games (only Oblivion is worthy of consideration).

I really think that MS should have played the same strategy with 360 as with the xbox, that is come in after the competition (ps3/revolution) and come in stronger, more powerefull and reliable.

Another point worth mentioning is that some xbox adopters are rather peeved about the 360 coming out so early. If you remember, xbox only launched some 3 years ago in the UK. Dropping support for the original 2 years earlier than the usual 5 year cycle will certainly piss quite a few loyal customers.

All my casual friends here in the UK don't seem to see it this way though, there is no negativity about the 360 in casual world so far (not that I'm aware of at least). People who played the demo pods came away impressed by the games and the hardware. But you're very right, launch doesn't matter - it's what comes after launch counts.

I very much think that the 360 will do better here than the original Xbox, we'll see I guess.

Prine

Banned
vas said:
There was also pre-order madness for the DC. It's what happens after launch that matters. Xbox didn't do too well at launch, primarily because of the steep price (which was then cut by £100 only weeks later), but it picked up momentum from word of mouth. I think 360 will do worse than than the original. Imo sales will decline after the launch/xmas madness rather sharply especially since there isnt much on the horizon in terms of games (only Oblivion is worthy of consideration).

Another point worth mentioning is that some xbox adopters are rather peeved about the 360 coming out so early. If you remember, xbox only launched some 3 years ago in the UK. Dropping support for the original 2 years earlier than the usual 5 year cycle will certainly piss off quite a few loyal customers.

Everything i've witnessed so far goes against all your points. I guess we'll have to wait and see,im pretty confident X360 will atleast do better than Xbox.

Top Bottom