• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Hands-on Sheds Light on RE5's Treatment of Race

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Shouta said:
To be fair, I think they'd probably be wearing outdated sports apparel nowadays!
PgthiVdRd.jpg

Brazil, but it counts imo

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dreams-Visions said:
there's no way to defend that video.

None.

Ari Fleischer (God rest his soul), couldn't have spun this shit.
Bullshit.

It's not like spear they depict spear-wielding African's dressed in tribal gear as the typical African, living in the urban environments, these infected are attacking you as you move through a remote African region, where these tribes could still exist, and could still be "infected".

That's not particularly well articulated, but I hope I got my point across.

sonicmj1

Atrus said:
But that's the crux of the position.

Apparently Capcom can't portray Africans in a war torn region as savage, because it's 'racist'. Yet theres no problem when Jack Bauer goes to Africa and deals with some African warlords who kill children.

You would think that the Africa that currently exists today is not rife with problems, and it is one of these so-called problematic regions that sets up the scene for RE5. Instead we are led to believe by some here that Capcom is only using Blacks as novella 'savages'.

I'm really not sure what you're trying to say. What does Jack Bauer have to do with anything?

Africa has lots and lots of problems. Plenty of works of media exist that demonstrate those problems in graphic detail, that aren't being subject to the criticisms that RE5 faces. This may have something to do with how RE5 paints the entire African race as a savage 'other', in a way that those other works do not.

You painted our stance on the issue as "it's wrong for whites to kill black people because of racism", when that was never anyone's stance. On the other hand, I'd say it is wrong to present a race of people along the lines of a pernicious, centuries old stereotype that has cost the region dearly, regardless of who is killing or being killed.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Atrus said:
But that's the crux of the position.

Apparently Capcom can't portray Africans in a war torn region as savage, because it's 'racist'. Yet theres no problem when Jack Bauer goes to Africa and deals with some African warlords who kill children.
In 24, some Africans are good guys, some are bad guys. There are heroic Africans and evil Africans. Plus this is the series that had two black Presidents.

In RE5, from what we've seen so far the only good black person is the pretty lighter-skinned partner of the white hero.

Someone needs to tell me, what's wrong with black people being axe crazy inhuman badguys who are portrayed in a ridiculously intimidating light? How many people's heads would have exploded if the evil fucks trying to drag away Ashley in RE4 would have exploded? Why can't blacks in videogames be soulless slaves to an unknown evil?

a Master Ninja said:
Have you guys seen the zombies you fight in the underground tomb? They appear to have grass skirts, spears, and tribal shields. I'm pretty sure that is what Eurogamer meant when they said:

Watch from 2:30 on and judge for yourself.
Taking issue with that is pretty fucking ridiculous to be honest. It's obvious that the main thing they want to capture with the whole Ethnic Enemy is how Different And Scary their culture is. They played this to a fucking tee in RE4, that's obviously what they are going for again. Honestly that's more ridiculous than anything else. And the idea that it's somehow an "outdated stereotype" is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

Htown said:
In 24, some Africans are good guys, some are bad guys. There are heroic Africans and evil Africans. Plus this is the series that had two black Presidents.

In RE5, from what we've seen so far the only good black person is the pretty lighter-skinned partner of the white hero.
So fucking what? You need RE5 to tell you that not all black people are trying to kill you? REALLY? What if, in this game, they are? How is that ruining the fucking moral fiber of the world? Are you suggesting that the "virus" is actually a metaphor for the impure races of the world?

News Bot

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
Yes, light-skinned friendly "good African" is our lovable sidekick.

You are close minded to the nth degree. You do realize you're being racist yourself in pretty much every sense of the word?

There's no way of defending this article unless you're short on a couple thousand brain cells.

lol. secluded tribe in Brazil?

lol. secluded tribe in Kijuju?

Goddamn the logic you people have is mind boggling and, quite frankly, embarrasing.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Shouta said:
You missed the joke (or sadly reality).
The point was, these people do exist. These are probably the second enemy sets, much like the Illuminados were. They were a cult who worshipped the Plagas. They lived in very poor conditions and wore ROBES. So its not unexpected that these guys too worship the Plagas and live in POOR conditions, thus they revert to scrounging for provisions in the forest.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Son of Godzilla said:
Taking issue with that is pretty fucking ridiculous to be honest. It's obvious that the main thing they want to capture with the whole Ethnic Enemy is how Different And Scary their culture is. They played this to a fucking tee in RE4, that's obviously what they are going for again. Honestly that's more ridiculous than anything else. And the idea that it's somehow an "outdated stereotype" is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

Sorry but in RE4, the evil Spanish cult played into the typical, black robed miscreants cliche from popular culture.

Now I was defending Capcom before, but making a mockery of African culture like this is just fucking moronic.

And I am a white dude. This is not about white guilt or latent racism at this point. It's about Capcom fucking up, plain and simply.

Son of Godzilla said:
Someone needs to tell me, what's wrong with black people being axe crazy inhuman badguys who are portrayed in a ridiculously intimidating light? How many people's heads would have exploded if the evil fucks trying to drag away Ashley in RE4 would have exploded? Why can't blacks in videogames be soulless slaves to an unknown evil?

I can't watch the video at work, but I can't really imagine it being so bad as people are trying to make it out. So there are tribal africans in a remote underground area? Doesn't seem like a big fucking leap to me.

Also find it fucking sad that the most racist shit I have heard in this thread are the comments directed at Sheeva for being 'light-skinned'. When the hell did being light-skinned become a bad thing? Some of you fuckers need to grow up.

Son of Godzilla said:

Go ask a Black person. Hopefully you are able to come back and post about it.

I can't watch the video at work, but I can't really imagine it being so bad as people are trying to make it out. So there are tribal africans in a remote underground area? Doesn't seem like a big fucking leap to me.

Also find it fucking sad that the most racist shit I have heard in this thread are the comments directed at Sheeva for being 'light-skinned'. When the hell did being light-skinned become a bad thing? Some of you fuckers need to grow up.

No, read the thread again. It was believed Sheva would be an African woman, instead she is much more light skinned that the potrayal of the Africans and doesn't even speak with the same accent.

News Bot

Banned
Now I was defending Capcom before, but making a mockery of African culture like this is just fucking moronic.

*facepalm*

What exactly did they do wrong? Portray blacks? God for-fucking-bid they use black characters that aren't gun wielding gangstas from da ghetto that speak like they have a 10 foot dick rammed up their ass.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's not like they sat there at Capcom HQ and thought, "hmm, let's offend loads of people", it would be more like, "hmm, you know what would make a cool enemy type as you traverse through the remote regions of Africa? The traditional tribal African."

Capcom aren't trying to make a statement guys, they're just letting their art department have a wank.

Pedobear said:
Sorry but in RE4, the evil Spanish cult played into the typical, black robed miscreants cliche from popular culture.

And I am a white Canadian. This is not about white guilt or latent racism at this point. It's about Capcom fucking up, plain and simply.
The video has people trying to stab Chris with spears and grass skirts, which typical cliche from popular culture are we talking about?

News Bot said:
You are close minded to the nth degree. You do realize you're being racist yourself in pretty much every sense of the word?

"Pointing out passive cultural racism makes you THE REAL RACIST!"

Rez>You said:
It's not like they sat there at Capcom HQ and thought, "hmm, let's offend loads of people", it would be more like, "hmm, you know what would make a cool enemy type as you traverse through the remote regions of Africa? The traditional tribal African."

Capcom aren't trying to make a statement guys, they're just letting their art department have a wank.

No shit, and that's the problem. It's dumb and insensitive because they're apparently tone deaf when it comes to certain racial issues.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
BudokaiMR2 said:
Read my posts in the thread. I was defending Capcom and called out people for being racists themselves if they viewed the game as racist.

But that video is in another fucking ballpark, man, trust me on that one.

And yeah, I still say EmCeeGramr hates white people and just doesn't want to admit it. But still...Capcom fucked up for real this time.

Shouta

Dot50Cal said:
The point was, these people do exist. These are probably the second enemy sets, much like the Illuminados were. They were a cult who worshipped the Plagas. They lived in very poor conditions and wore ROBES. So its not unexpected that these guys too worship the Plagas and live in POOR conditions, thus they revert to scrounging for provisions in the forest.

Yes, I know. I'm just making a joke about how Americans send sports apparel to Africa because they either prematurely made it or they can't sell it anymore. I wouldn't doubt if there were folks there walking around in Seattle Supersonics, 2008 gear there. =|

News Bot said:
*facepalm*

What exactly did they do wrong? Portray blacks? God for-fucking-bid they use black characters that aren't gun wielding gangstas from da ghetto that speak like they have a 10 foot dick rammed up their ass.

They potrayed Africans, not black people.

Dreams-Visions said:
there's no way to defend that video.

None.

Ari Fleischer (God rest his soul), couldn't have spun this shit.
Good thing race isn't a big political issue right now or Capcom would really have something to worry about.

Oh wait...

Anyone want to take odds on how long this game stays on store shelves before Obama and Steele collaborate across party lines to get it banned from all major retailers? What's the Vegas line? Two weeks?

I'm just hoping it'll make it to launch. But hey, if Quran lyrics can sink LBP pre-launch, well don't count on anything.

Silly Capcom. At least they have SF4 monehs to hold them over.

News Bot

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:

Being a dick makes you, you guessed it, a dick.

But that video is in another fucking ballpark, man, trust me on that one.

Elaborate. I see an infected tribe attacking Chris and Sheva.

Tribes exist, get the fuck over it.

News Bot said:
*facepalm*

Atrus

Gold Member
EmCeeGramr said:
Dude, you are totally missing the point. It has to do with the context that the game presents this with. And if Eurogamer and Chris Remo's friend Nick are to go by, then the context portrays Africans in general in a demeaning fashion that's in line with some of the oldest and most hateful stereotypes in human history.

Really? Is your position that whatever it is that Capcom is choosing to show, it cannot find equal or worse representation in war torn regions of Africa? Do you believe that instead of framing their game in the context of these regions, Capcom is instead trying to exploit the dumb Kafir stereotype during the colonial era?

Dot50Cal

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:

No shit, and that's the problem. It's dumb and insensitive because they're apparently tone deaf when it comes to certain racial issues.

Yes, light-skinned friendly "good African" is our lovable sidekick.

Sounds pretty racist to me. Shes not black enough for you? What the hell?

Rez>You said:

Nobody's saying Capcom said 'hey let's make a really racist game.' Just that they've done it out of ignorance or by accident. I don't think the game makers are as racist as some of this material would have you think, but right now it looks like they've made a game with some seriously racially charged imagery and have made a racially offensive game out of ignorance or stupidity. Intentions aren't everything.

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Good thing race isn't a big political issue right now or Capcom would really have something to worry about.

Oh wait...

Anyone want to take odds on how long this game stays on store shelves before Obama and Steele collaborate across party lines to get it banned from all major retailers? What's the Vegas line? Two weeks?

I'm just hoping it'll make it to launch. But hey, if Quran lyrics can sink LBP pre-launch, welll don't count on anything.

Silly Capcom. At least they have SF4 monehs to hold them over.
Street Fighter 4 FTMFW!

Resident Evil 5...idunno man. I'll wait for more opinion.

News Bot

Banned
cartoon_soldier said:

So? What kind of fucking difference does that make?

You people are morons. Plain and simple.

lol. right next to an urban shanty?

Some tribes actually do live relatively close to urban areas but choose old customs over it.

Try again.

EmCeeGramr said:

No it's the fact that you are pointing it out as if it is a bad thing.

Also, as I have said earlier it really doesn't fucking matter how insensitive Capcom is on the issue. If you want to have your panties in a bunch why don't you worry about how insenstive almost every governement in the world is to the genocide in darfur.

Dot50Cal said:
Sounds pretty racist to me. Shes not black enough for you? What the hell?
It has nothing to do with her "not being black enough." The trope of the token "good one" is rather old, even if it's not intentionally meant that way.

Atrus said:
Really? Is your position that whatever it is that Capcom is choosing to show, it cannot find equal or worse representation in war torn regions of Africa? Do you believe that instead of framing their game in the context of these regions, Capcom is instead trying to exploit the dumb Kafir stereotype during the colonial era?

War Town Regions of Afirca have people who help others you know?

BudokaiMR2 said:
If you want to have your panties in a bunch why don't you worry about how insenstive almost every governement in the world is to the genocide in darfur.
*gasp* I do. But hey, I could just make assumptions about people over the internet as well! :O

ultim8p00

Banned
Guys, evidence that at least something is up here.

Far Cry 2: Depicts Africa pretty contemporarily (warring factions fighting for the people, using military power etc) You still shoot Africans in it and they attack you too. But they feel like people instead of savages. Yes they are badguys, but they have their motivations. Result? Sells over a million copies. No bitching. No claims of racism. No threads

Resi5: Going from the impressions posted, depicts Africans as savages, wearing grass skirts etc among other things. I could be wrong, but there is not one positive thing about being black in this game that we know off so far. Even Sheva, the only black protagonist has been designed to "appeal to a broader audience" complete with nose job. Result? The game isn't even out yet and we are already having threads. Capcom has had to add in new enemy models and make some changes. Some gamers are already thinking about not buying the game anymore.

I mean, I honestly don't think Capcom set out to make a racist game, but if you are going to make something that appeals to the West, do your homework Capcom. Going by some of the videos I've seen posted here, that stuff may pass in Japan but not the West, and especially not the US.

News Bot said:
Some tribes actually do live relatively close to urban areas but choose old customs over it.

Try again.
lmao. and I'm sure Capcom was well aware of anything of the sort when they decided to design these characters. :lol

Ari, is that you?

News Bot

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
It has nothing to do with her "not being black enough." The trope of the token "good one" is rather old, even if it's not intentionally meant that way.

Old, sure. But if it's not intentional, why the fuck bitch about it save for finding a reason to be a complete douche?

War Town Regions of Afirca have people who help others you know?

And? Love how you seem to have played RE5 right through to the end and have seen every character type there. And Kijuju isn't war torn at all.

News Bot said:
So? What kind of fucking difference does that make?

You people are morons. Plain and simple.

Black is the color of a skin, Black people can exist all over the fucking world. Understand the difference before calling people morons.

Try again.

Where?

News Bot said:
Being a dick makes you, you guessed it, a dick.

Elaborate. I see an infected tribe attacking Chris and Sheva.

Tribes exist, get the fuck over it.
Nonono, tribes are an outdated racial stereotype invented by white and not-black-enough-black suppressors.

I feel a bit comforted knowing that this topic is what I thought it'd be, a joke.

Go ask a Black person. Hopefully you are able to come back and post about it.

No, read the thread again. It was believed Sheva would be an African woman, instead she is much more light skinned that the potrayal of the Africans and doesn't even speak with the same accent.
:lol

BudokaiMR2 said:
No it's the fact that you are pointing it out as if it is a bad thing.

Also, as I have said earlier it really doesn't fucking matter how insensitive Capcom is on the issue. If you want to have your panties in a bunch why don't you worry about how insenstive almost every governement in the world is to the genocide in darfur.
Whew! Thank goodness there's genocide out there, I can get away with just about anything and as long as it's not genocide then anyone who gets upset with me clearly has their priorities out of whack. What a lifesaver. It's a good thing that if people wanted to complain about something I did, that would automatically preclude them being able to criticize genocide because as we all know you can only be upset about one thing at a time.

Dreams-Visions said:
Street Fighter 4 FTMFW!

Resident Evil 5...idunno man. I'll wait for more opinion.

But what about Balrog/M.Bison. That depiction of a black person doesn't get you all up in arms?!?!

Dot50Cal

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
Uhh, you have like several black BSAA members who are very dark skinned. Seriously, your head is so far up your ass right now.

News Bot

Banned
Black is the color of a skin, Black people can exist all over the fucking world. Understand the difference before calling people morons.

You don't appear to have an issue with the black stereotype seen very commonly in the USA, though. That's what I was referring to you. It's more demeaning than anything seen in RE5, which you're lashing out at Capcom for simply using Africa (god forbid) and Africans.

Try taking atleast three fingers out of your ass before even attempting to post again. Please.

BudokaiMR2 said:
But what about Balrog/M.Bison. That depiction of a black person doesn't get you all up in arms?!?!
almost everything from Street Fighter 2 is based of some sort of archetype of some sort (except for Blanka, LoL)... Barlog/M.Bison = Mike Tyson. Check his vs. Portrait in the first SF2.. it's Mike Tyson.

*edit, in Street Fighter IV Barlog/M.Bison is a Top Character kicking everyone's ass... so that is a POSITIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom