• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Hands-on Sheds Light on RE5's Treatment of Race

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
ultim8p00 said:

yeah, but FC2 is not infected by a huge zombie virus so you can't really complain that they're savages in RE5 (after the infection that is). RE games have always featured some crazy enemies. I think Capcom just thought of some cool enemies they would like to see in the game and created them, not thinking about the potential racial implications.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
BudokaiMR2 said:
I can't watch the video at work, but I can't really imagine it being so bad as people are trying to make it out. So there are tribal africans in a remote underground area? Doesn't seem like a big fucking leap to me.

Also find it fucking sad that the most racist shit I have heard in this thread are the comments directed at Sheeva for being 'light-skinned'. When the hell did being light-skinned become a bad thing? Some of you fuckers need to grow up.
Being lighter skinned isn't a bad thing. hell, I'm lighter than Sheva.

Dot50Cal said:
Uhh, you have like several black BSAA members who are very dark skinned. Seriously, your head is so far up your ass right now.
I hadn't seen them yet. Since that's the case, then it's not as bad as I feared.

BudokaiMR2 said:
I work with a south african woman who speaks in a stronger English accent than any British person I have ever met.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

-.-

Not to drag this point on since apparently I was a bit premature on this, but bringing up South Africa is never really a good idea. You know. Apartheid and subjugation of blacks by English settlers and all.

No, read the thread again. It was believed Sheva would be an African woman, instead she is much more light skinned that the potrayal of the Africans and doesn't even speak with the same accent.

I work with a south african woman who speaks in a stronger English accent than any British person I have ever met.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

-.-

EmCeeGramr said:
So I hate myself and every single person in my family. ?:|

ahahahahahah...

a. you were assumed to be black because you "saw racism where there wasn't any"
b. you were assumed to be black because your name has EmCee(MC) in it.. you must like that rap music "crap"

hahahahahahahahahah

Sheva's accent is alright, considering ex-British colonies in Africa,
but I do agree that her light skin tone does come off as "Hollywood"

Dot50Cal said:
Sounds pretty racist to me. Shes not black enough for you? What the hell?
are you familiar with the experience of blacks? not just in America, but in Africa, Central and South America? Familiar with the systemic prejudice and social constructs erected with regard to shade of complexion? How humans have bought into it?

Frankly, I'm shocked that you're shocked.

Might I recommend a book for you:

Miseducation of the Negro, by Carter G. Woodson

doesn't sound like something for everyone on the surface...but oh it is.

Tangentially, I think the scarier thing for me is not the racist; it's the person who can't recognize how bias influences and limits other people.

but I digress.

BudokaiMR2 said:
But what about Balrog/M.Bison. That depiction of a black person doesn't get you all up in arms?!?!
But all the other characters in the game also have the bulging eyes, giant mouths, and shoulders so large they replace the neck. Capcom is obviously paving the way on race relations by making every race look like a primate.

But then we reach the issue of SF4 not having any Korean characters, you insensitive prick.

gutter_trash said:
almost everything from Street Fighter 2 is based of some sort of archetype of some sort (except for Blanka, LoL)... Barlog/M.Bison = Mike Tyson. Check his vs. Portrait in the first SF2.. it's Mike Tyson.

*edit, in Street Fighter IV Barlog/M.Bison is a Top Character kicking everyone's ass... so that is a POSITIVE

Yes I know that.

And the setting in RE5 is based off of war torn areas in Africa.....

Both might be pretty ignorant on Capcom's part, but they aren't worth getting worked up over was my point.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Byakuya769 said:
ahahahahahah...

a. you were assumed to be black because you "saw racism where there wasn't any"
b. you were assumed to be black because your name has EmCee(MC) in it.. you must like that rap music "crap"

hahahahahahahahahah
I never said he was black, I said he was racist against whites. And yes you can hate your own skin color. And I did mention white guilt before.

News Bot

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
are you familiar with the experience of blacks? not just in America, but in Africa, Central and South America? Familiar with the systemic prejudice and social constructs erected with regard to shade of complexion? How humans have bought into it?

Frankly, I'm shocked that you're shocked.

Might I recommend a book for you:

Miseducation of the Negro, by Carter G. Woodson

doesn't sound like something for everyone on the surface...but oh it is.

Tangentially, I think the scarier thing for me is not the racist; it's the person who can't recognize how bias influences and limits other people.

but I digress.

Take the twig out of you're ass. Racism would be much less of an issue if people like you stop making it one.

News Bot said:
Because you're an ignorant, close-minded fool that speaks before he thinks.

Typical.
If I'm closed-minded, then why did I just admit that I was wrong?

I've been defending this game for months and thinking that the critics were wrong, but this latest news is concerning me so I reassessed my position.

And for the record, I actually LIKE the controls and Sheva's AI. :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, wait Sheva isn't black enough now?

Holy shit. Okay, I gotta bolt out of this thread. I won't break my rule...I won't break my rule...

Pedobear said:
I never said he was black, I said he was racist against whites. And yes you can hate your own skin color. And I did mention white guilt before.
"White guilt" ooohooohoooo ahaha literally the only people who use that phrase are the ones who think that white-on-black racism ceased to exist when Martin Luther King Jr. died for our racial sins

Atrus

Gold Member
sonicmj1 said:
I'm really not sure what you're trying to say. What does Jack Bauer have to do with anything?

Africa has lots and lots of problems. Plenty of works of media exist that demonstrate those problems in graphic detail, that aren't being subject to the criticisms that RE5 faces. This may have something to do with how RE5 paints the entire African race as a savage 'other', in a way that those other works do not.

You painted our stance on the issue as "it's wrong for whites to kill black people because of racism", when that was never anyone's stance. On the other hand, I'd say it is wrong to present a race of people along the lines of a pernicious, centuries old stereotype that has cost the region dearly, regardless of who is killing or being killed.

Race is an anthropologically useless term that often plays into old racist stereotypes, one that recognizes Europe as a collection of different social groups, currently by nation, while the 'black' Africans are all one homogeneous entity. Your so called 'African' race.

People forget that black Africans, even though they're black and hard to differentiate by colonial Europeans, are able to differentiate themselves the way a Frenchman, a Swede, and a Greek would.

Now that that is out of the way, in what way did Capcom portray the 'entire' African 'race' as savages? I was unaware that the game spans the entire breadth of Africa.

BudokaiMR2 said:
Yes I know that.

And the setting in RE5 is based off of war torn areas in Africa.....

the deal with RE5 is getting that middle ground not going over-that line

the Japanese most likely did not have any ill intent but also they do not have the same historical relation with African that us North-Americans & Europeans when it comes to the sensibilities pertaining to our past in Africa.

Not to drag this point on since apparently I was a bit premature on this, but bringing up South Africa is never really a good idea. You know. Apartheid and subjugation of blacks by English settlers and all.

I was just pointing out that there is a wide variety of culture and language in Africa and that you couldn't really be offended because a character doesn't speak in a thick african accent. In fact I am sure someone could find fault with that if it were the case....

Pretty much every African country has suffered racism/subjugation and most of the time it's between fellow Africans!

Kintaro said:
So, wait Sheva isn't black enough now?

Holy shit. Okay, I gotta bolt out of this thread. I won't break my rule...I won't break my rule...
Well fuck now I'm curious. What is your one rule?

Pedobear said:

I don't care if the protagonist of the game is white, black, Asian, Native American, Indigenous Australians, or a polka-dotted Jovian. I'm concerned about how the Africans are being portrayed in this.

There's really no way to judge this until we've played the game for ourselves and/or know how it's all implemented in the story, grasping for straws and trying to interpret this shit without context won't lead to anything other than more clicks for Eurogamer. :p

TheCardPlayer

badcrumble said:
"White guilt" ooohooohoooo ahaha literally the only people who use that phrase are the ones who think that white-on-black racism ceased to exist when Martin Luther King Jr. died for our racial sins
Black on white racism still exists and I use the term white guilt, oh what do you say now?

Log4Girlz

It can't possibly cost much to simply recolor all the skin texture to white. You just change one value. That'll fix it.

TheCardPlayer

EmCeeGramr said:
I'm concerned about how the Africans are being portrayed in this.
Now that I have seen the video posted earlier, me too. Doesn't make you any less of a racist tard though.

Log4Girlz said:
That'll fix it.
Too bad they can't fix the controls, AI and everything else though.

Pedobear said:
Now that I have seen the video posted earlier, me too. Doesn't make you any less of a racist tard though.
How the fuck am I racist. Please tell me in a simple way, because you've failed this entire thread to do so.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Fantastic. We've got the "racism only exists in people who talk against racism" morons in full force in this thread.

Pedobear said:
Black on white racism still exists and I use the term white guilt, oh what do you say now?
That it's perfectly reasonable for people who have grown up being able to take advantage of white privilege to feel at the very least uncomfortable about having that unfair advantage. Oh, and that racist imagery is racist regardless of the intentions of its creators.

TheCardPlayer

badcrumble said:
That it's perfectly reasonable for people who have grown up being able to take advantage of white privilege to feel at the very least uncomfortable about having that unfair advantage. Oh, and that racist imagery is racist regardless of the intentions of its creators.
I am unconfortable with it. So what? That makes my opinion invalid?

News Bot said:
Take the twig out of you're ass. Racism would be much less of an issue if people like you stop making it one.
take the twig out of your ass. Racism is more more of an issue than you'd like it to be, and you need to stop pretending it doesn't exist.

Your zeal to dismiss things speaks to your heart-felt desire to move on, and I appreciate that. But when it ventures off into trying to always dismiss everything that is questionable, you fall into a dangerous category of passionate aloofness. Dangerous when put together.

Something like clogged arteries.

Again, i appreciate the desire. But objectivity is still your friend. I've been a defender of RE5 up until tonight.

Protip on assholishness: You are one. You attack your fellow posters unnecessarially. I know you're probably the center of your own world, but you need to understand there are other life experiences out there that afford a different set of tools with which we see and understand things. some of those tools were created for a damn good reason. It would be wise for you to not so casually dismiss them and accuse everyone of somehow being less bright than you. I'm sure you can handle debating a point without vainly trying to insult people's intelligence. Kthanks.

Alts

badcrumble said:
Oh, and that racist imagery is racist regardless of the intentions of its creators.

For a nice easy to relate to example of this, note how "shoop da woop" is banned on this forum, despite the fact that the use of racist imagery is not intentional nor the end goal.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
badcrumble said:
I'd argue that intention is everything, and that anyone who honestly thinks otherwise and is offended, needs to pull their head out of their pompous ass.

ultim8p00 said:
Guys, evidence that at least something is up here.

Far Cry 2: Depicts Africa pretty contemporarily (warring factions fighting for the people, using military power etc) You still shoot Africans in it and they attack you too. But they feel like people instead of savages. Yes they are badguys, but they have their motivations. Result? Sells over a million copies. No bitching. No claims of racism. No threads

Resi5: Going from the impressions posted, depicts Africans as savages, wearing grass skirts etc among other things. I could be wrong, but there is not one positive thing about being black in this game that we know off so far. Even Sheva, the only black protagonist has been designed to "appeal to a broader audience" complete with nose job. Result? The game isn't even out yet and we are already having threads. Capcom has had to add in new enemy models and make some changes. Some gamers are already thinking about not buying the game anymore.

I mean, I honestly don't think Capcom set out to make a racist game, but if you are going to make something that appeals to the West, do your homework Capcom. Going by some of the videos I've seen posted here, that stuff may pass in Japan but not the West, and especially not the US.
and once again, this pointwill be ignored...

to the people that don't seem to be getting it, it's about the way the presentation is done.

Alts said:
For a nice easy to relate to example of this, note how "shoop da woop" is banned on this forum, despite the fact that the use of racist imagery is not intentional nor the end goal.
... You do realize that only gained popularity because of how blindingly racist it is, right? Not a great example.

TheCardPlayer

The Faceless Master said:

to the people that don't seem to be getting it, it's about the way the presentation is done.
That's true. I didn't get why the racism card was getting thrown into the mix until I saw that video.

No way I can defend this, nor anyone else.

News Bot

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
take the twig out of your ass. Racism is more more of an issue than you'd like it to be, and you need to stop pretending it doesn't exist.

Your zeal to dismiss things speaks to your heart-felt desire to move on, and I appreciate that. But when it ventures off into trying to always dismiss everything that is questionable, you fall into a dangerous category of passionate aloofness. Dangerous when put together.

Something like clogged arteries.

Again, i appreciate the desire. But objectivity is still your friend. I've been a defender of RE5 up until tonight.

Protip on assholishness: You are one. You attack your fellow posters unnecessarially. I know you're probably the center of your own world, but you need to understand there are other life experiences out there that afford a different set of tools with which we see and understand things. some of those tools were created for a damn good reason. It would be wise for you to not so casually dismiss them and accuse everyone of somehow being less bright than you. I'm sure you can handle debating a point without vainly trying to insult people's intelligence. Kthanks.

Yeah, you're a lost cause.

Do us a favour and stop trying to be high and mighty over a non-existant issue in a video game that you haven't played.

MrHicks

Banned
White magic = good
Black magic = evil

thatsracist.gif?

the overly extreme "political correctness" of today sees/looks for racism in pretty much anything

Alts

Son of Godzilla said:
... You do realize that only gained popularity because of how blindingly racist it is, right? Not a great example.

It gained popularity because a number of the people on this board idolize 4chan and all that comes from it. And the level of popularity it received on 4chan wasn't a result of its inherent racist qualities.

ultim8p00

Banned
News Bot said:
*facepalm*

What exactly did they do wrong? Portray blacks? God for-fucking-bid they use black characters that aren't gun wielding gangstas from da ghetto that speak like they have a 10 foot dick rammed up their ass.

Holy shit dude. Sometimes you want to think out your words before you type. People might get confused about your true state of mind.

Here's a hint. Far Cry 2 did it, and people aren't bitching. Obviously, RE5 is doing something wrong.

lol it is true,
nobody is talking about FarCry2 because they didn't step over anylines.

Ubisoft usually plays it safe (too safe IMO), even check out Assassin's Creed and how they handled that part of the world, it is pretty sterilized

News Bot said:
Yeah, you're a lost cause.

Do us a favour and stop trying to be high and mighty over a non-existant issue in a video game that you haven't played.

You've done a really bad job at arguing any point that you contend. However, you've done remarkably well at arbitrarily dismissing the posts of others and their views. Keep up that good work.

-REAL GAF HEEEEEROOOOOO-

At the end of the day we all have our own opinions. Play the game and see for yourself if it is indeed racist. This type of discussion would best be discussed after the game is out.

ultim8p00 said:
Holy shit dude. Sometimes you want to think out your words before you type. People might get confused about your true state of mind.

Here's a hint. Far Cry 2 did it, and people aren't bitching. Obviously, RE5 is doing something wrong.
Hey. Nobody cared until N'Gai wrote that article.

News Bot

Banned

I'm just playing on the fact that most people get all up in arms over a bunch of infected Africans (tribal or not) instead of getting up in arms about the demeaning depiction of all African-Americans as people that wear loose clothing, ridiculous jewellry and must all aspire to either rap or deal drugs to make a living.

But apparently modern depiction < ancient depiction.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

Which counts more than anything. Yea, RE4 had it share of ridiculousness, but it was never in your face. I'm not sure if a woman hung on a wall via axe (can't remember what it was) is subtle, but the actual behind the scenes violence of the people was done in a subtle manner---and not so subtle if you count the credits---.

I'm not jumping in this debate though. I have no thoughts on the subject since I haven't seen shit yet. What worries me is that we have an effin boss fight behind a turret. wtf...

Edit:
News Bot said:
I'm just playing on the fact that most people get all up in arms over a bunch of infected Africans (tribal or not) instead of getting up in arms about the demeaning depiction of all African-Americans as people that wear loose clothing, ridiculous jewellry and must all aspire to either rap or deal drugs to make a living.

But apparently modern depiction < ancient depiction.

Why even play on that when that's not what's being debated here? Just as bad as the people who've obviously never played an RE game before shouting, "just change them to white", like there haven't been multicolored zombies since PS1.

Oh come on. Africans can't be mindless, inhuman, axe crazy savages, slaves to their overlord's will? That's essentially the difference, isn't it? How is this just then *not* a case of over-sensitivity?

sevenchaos said:
At the end of the day we all have our own opinions. Play the game and see for yourself if it is indeed racist. This type of discussion would best be discussed after the game is out.

Hey. Nobody cared until N'Gai wrote that article.

Umm it wouldn't be to hard to dig up a thread that proves quite the opposite.

i was offended enough by the bloody demo. i completely agree with eurogamer here, and game companies have to buck up and think responsibly about what they're presenting. usually, they do. this time they have not.

Sectus

EmCeeGramr said:
Are you saying that mentioning south africa is racist?

I was about to mention I played with a south african friend who also had the same type of accent as Sheva. But hey, I guess I shouldn't mention that, that would mean I'm racist.

gutter_trash said:
it's like the Glen Beck show!
:lol :lol :lol

it's scary man. I remember sitting in Spanish class many years ago in high school. This particular day, I decided to rock my New York Black Yankees vintage t-shirt and hat.

NewYork-Black-Yankees-cap-L.jpg

One of my long-time female friends (white) looks at me half puzzled, half concerned, she quickly volunteered the question, "Why do they have to be the BLACK Yankees?!". With an eye-roll.

Taken slightly aback, I calmly, but in a slightly irritated tone told her, "...because...there were a Negro Leagues team...." to which she quickly responded with a bit more attitude, "Why does it have to be THE NEGRO LEAGUES?!"

*facepalm*

but not because she was dumb...but because of the ignorance. Completely oblivious to the fact that there is a proud heritage of black baseball players who weren't allowed to play with white players, so they formed their own, successful league. The grandfather of one of my fraternity brothers in my chapter owned one of the teams. And this was only 50 years ago. Still, the ignorance has already set in.

It's the same ignorance I see all the time (including in this thread). Sometimes people have no concept of historical perspective, so their ability to give proper context to issues that have historical implications is lost, paving the way for gross misinterpretation. or worse yet: intentionally siding with and defending ignorance.

Some would do well to learn the lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom