• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer has Deus Ex 3 blowout

Holy SHIT! I just watched the trailer. Jesus Christ the music, the augmentations, the story, and the setting all look terrific. I hope it's as good as Mass Effect.

thetrin said:
You are a bad person, and you are the reason RPG shooters are getting dumbed down.

It's funny, someone on the FPS side of the fence would say that it's because of him RPG shooters are becoming more streamlined.

I guess it's one of those half empty half full ways of looking at it.

shuyin_

Banned
Dresden said:
It'd be really cool if they could color-code the ethical dilemmas, so I don't actually have to read anything to make sweeping moral decisions that affect the narrative of the game.
Why wouldn't you want to read anything? Would you rather play a dumbed down game with no dialogue lines and just shooting?
Reading all the lines and choosing the one i want (after determining myself if i'm being aggressive/passive etc) is part of the fun, at least for me... Then again, i'm the kind of gamer that enjoys point and click adventures and RPGs with dialogue trees.

im really excited for this game but i've never really heard of deus ex before so i was wondering if the orignal held up good enough or if it was just something someone who played it back in the day can still enjoy also whats the diffrence between deus ex Goty and invisible wars?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
terrdactycalsrock said:
im really excited for this game but i've never really heard of deus ex before so i was wondering if the orignal held up good enough or if it was just something someone who played it back in the day can still enjoy also whats the diffrence between deus ex Goty and invisible wars?

this one does not exist

Deus Ex goty is an old school PC game with very dated graphics.

terrdactycalsrock said:

1. Get Deus Ex GOTY - NOT Invisible War

2. I'm playing it now and apart from the awful art design, yes it holds up very well game design wise.

3. When you play it you'll probably get a lot more out of it if you don't treat it like a straight-up shooter.

4. This game rewards exploration and talking to people so DO IT!!

Pinko Marx said:
I'd prefer a game that had LoS and light-based stealth mechanics. But you're right, most games have LoS stealth. Which isn't so bad.

Well it's not like you spend your time in Deus Ex exploring abandoned castles. Most people know how to turn the lights on in the future. Thief is coming out later, so you might want to wait for that.

God's Beard said:
Well it's not like you spend your time in Deus Ex exploring abandoned castles. Most people know how to turn the lights on in the future. Thief is coming out later, so you might want to wait for that.

But I'm sure a lot of Deus Ex 3 will be spent at night, stalking through city alleys and whatnot. I'd appreciate SOME light/dark mechanics.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
The thing is while you're doing A you can come across something, and can hack it and shut it down. If you do that then right away one of your colleagues will call you and ask, "Jensen, what did you just do?" You say: "I don't know. There was this switch and I shut it off."

But as you progress and do the other objectives it becomes clear that what you've already switched off is actually the final objective for the map - only you did it at the start. So basically we support players that maybe go left when they're meant to go right, when it makes sense, as much as we can.

DX3 has the mood-killing, disrespectful, pathetic generic characterization of an hollywoodesque bullshit action movie, but i got to give the designers credit for this choice - it's very underrated, and extremely important.
I just hope that things will also work the other way around: you hack that switch and shut it off, but later you'll find out that the objective was to prevent someone to shut it off - but you did it on his behalf, and some very bad thing would then happen, leaving you with a more difficult consequent objective :lol

Wallach

thetrin said:
You are a bad person, and you are the reason RPG shooters are getting dumbed down.

EFkte.gif

subversus said:
this one does not exist

Deus Ex goty is an old school PC game with very dated graphics.

The 'Very' modifier is not needed.

I just reinstalled it with some mods and cranked up the graphics as much as possible and the game looks good enough.

The worst part is the fact that it now gives me a serious case of motion sickness...

Timekiller said:
DX3 has the mood-killing, disrespectful, pathetic generic characterization of an hollywoodesque bullshit action movie, but i got to give the designers credit for this choice - it's very underrated, and extremely important.
I just hope that things will also work the other way around: you hack that switch and shut it off, but later you'll find out that the objective was to prevent someone to shut it off - but you did it on his behalf, and some very bad thing would then happen, leaving you with a more difficult consequent objective :lol

Huh?

Pinko Marx said:

I'll help you, mate. No need to thank me - it's a pleasure.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6JTvzrpBy0&feature=related

Some tidbits distributed loosely over the blatant Blade Runner ripoff and the noir clichès are pretty obvious: 2:10 to 2:57 of this video, and the end of the trailer is quite surely the cheesiest and most pathetic part (well, maybe the icarus reference... nevermind). Deus Ex shouldn't include a slowmotion somersault kick, and it doesn't get washed away with a slowly lightened up cigarette on a couch.

EDIT: Oh, and of course, the ol' good MECHANICAL SPIDERTANK! (TM)

lorddarkflare said:
Great thing that CG trailers of are always 100% representative of the games they advertise.

/Sarcasm

Yeah, and avatars in forums are not representative of the tastes of their users.
"/sarcasm"

Then, in fact, i was talking about characterization, so it doesn't matter if it's gameplay or CG.

Top Bottom