• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Independently confirms source that the PS4.5 is real, referred as PS 4K

Orayn

I get the feeling something was lost in translation, either from what came from Sony or what leaked out. As the article pointed out, actual 4k gaming would not be very likely at all.

It would be like 1080p on PS3 even with an improved GPU: Basically a non-entity for AAA games, maybe a few high profile ones with an option to run at an intermediate resolution.

So let's get all the cons out of the way:

1- Developer fragmentation and optimization headaches.

RX:
A) Better tools to identify targets, deficiencies, instability.
B) Devkits designed to offer both platforms (PS4/4K) ideal performance values for their respective hardware.

2- Consumer confidence waning.

RX:
A) Set logical scheduled releases that aren't too close (<2 years) or too long (>5 years).
B) Insure consumers that as long as a game supports a "Genus" the "4" in the PS4; that it will be playable on the "Family" of PlayStation devices PS4, PS4K, PS4KS etc.

3- Poor legacy platform support.

RX:
A) Mandate strict policies which have specific targets for all platforms. IE PS4 title should run at minimum 720p 30 FPS at >90% of gameplay. etc.

Yeah I feel like as long as Sony laid out a specific set of guidelines it wouldn't be too difficult. Set a certain standard for whats allowed on the original system and only offer 1 upgrade per cycle. In other words we will still have PS5, but a nice small jump in between to keep somewhat up with advances in tech.

Cleve

Reading this thread, are people aware that consoles aim for thermal/energy specs that restrict just tossing in high end pc components? Consoles won't be hitting 980 ti performance for a long time, certainly not with a refresh that is likely adding hdr, 4k media output, vr support, and maybe a tiny boost in apu speed.

thuway

If going to be so boring/disappointing if this just turns out to be a model that can play 4k blu-rays.

I agree. This is precisely the reason I don't understand why Sony would hold developer briefings and talk about all new hardware if it was just an HDMI Revision with a few random upclocks. That could just as easily have been sent through with a PDF. This sounds like much more than a "redesign".

If going to be so boring/disappointing if this just turns out to be a model that can play 4k blu-rays.

Ita going to play 4k blurays and also upscale games to 4k.

Bundles with 4k sony tv's. Bundled with 4k movies youll download. Bundled bundled bundled.

Reading this thread, are people aware that consoles aim for thermal/energy specs that restrict just tossing in high end pc components? Consoles won't be hitting 980 ti performance for a long time, certainly not with a refresh that is likely adding hdr, 4k media output, vr support, and maybe a tiny boost in apu speed.

980ti no.

But they can put a 3TF GPU in the PS4 without upping the power draw at all. A nice little jump from its current 1.8 TF GPU

Hexa

Guess: It'll have a higher clocks, HDMI2, and UHD Blurays. The higher clocked GPU will be default used to upscale, and hence that's what will happen for all older games, but devs will be able to take advantage of it if they so wish.
Is that possible? Or am I fundamentally misunderstanding the effects of clocks on the rendering pipeline.

Bsigg12

Yep and it would be a waste of an opportunity to at the very least improve the longevity of the PS4 by updating the APU to be more powerful for games.

thuway

980ti no.

But they can put a 3TF GPU in the PS4 without upping the power draw at all. A nice little jump from its current 1.8 TF GPU

This is where I disagree with a lot of people. I feel like Sony has all but no choice but to up the power draw a tad. Better cooling designs are in the PC space and cooling tech in general (water cooling etc.) has shown to be quite flexible.

Sony CAN up the power budget and thermal limit, it's all up to the engineers. This isn't the first time they'll flirt with water cooling btw. The Xperia Z3 had a water cooled design as well.

onQ123

CpTtbBb.png

With no fan

I get the feeling something was lost in translation, either from what came from Sony or what leaked out. As the article pointed out, actual 4k gaming would not be very likely at all.

True 4k native resolution for gaming is unlikely, but some fancy new upscaling techniques mixed with improved performance/visual fidelity is still on the table.

It's doubtful consumers would care if they aren't getting true 4k gaming, just 4k media playback and better looking games with a select few true 4k indie games would likely be enough of a selling point.

Cleve

980ti no.

Yeah, but it's definitely not going to provide the leap to 4k rendering as some folks want to believe. I imagine the added cost would probably keep them on the more conservative end too. I'm still very much expecting new features rather than a significant leap in performance.

With no fan

Playing back content is very different from rendering it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATAqts8eR_Q Cell phones can play back 4k content with passive cooling.

thuway

CpTtbBb.png

With no fan

This is where thermal budgets for the next round of consoles can really benefit. Put in enough vents and diffuse heat spreaders and you might be able to get away with upping the wattage and heat substantially. Mobile phone designers are king of this.

Lord Phol

Not sure I like this at all. All ready have a PS4 and a high-end gaming PC. Having to buy another PS4 just to get the full benefit of certain games and maybe even PSVR does not sound good at all. Will reserve my judgment until this thing is fully explained and official unveiled but I'm skeptical. Either make your console up-gradable from the start or just wait for the next generation IMO.

Santar

This just sounds like such a risky move by Sony.
Why risk messing it up when you finally are back in the lead, the lead of a console market that nobody was sure even was still there?

I think this move could really hurt the next Playstation console. I could see a lot of people just waiting for the first upgrade before buying a PS5.

kiguel182

Hopefully developers will make sure the new titles run okay with the current PS4 since I don't intend to buy a new console right away. Apart from that I'm all for killing the generation moniker and just going with incremental updates.

thuway

Do you guys really think a Polaris GPU won't be capable of hitting 4K 30 FPS targets? Come on guys.

72488.png

The 290X under load is around 200 watts give or take a few. This is a game running at Ultra settings in 4K. Polaris is supposed to offer a 2-2.5X efficiency so if Sony really wants, they can put in a GPU with the level of performance of a 290X in a 150 watt box :).

Ray Down

Banned
Why risk messing it up when you finally are back in the lead, the lead of a console market that nobody was sure even was still there?

I think this move could really hurt the next Playstation console. I could see a lot of people just waiting for the first upgrade before buying a PS5.

I don't see how this will mess it up though. It just a sightly better PS4 people can buy.

Yes maybe some people will wait, but I don't think general audience will when this kind of cycles are becoming more common place.

Banned
I'll gladly trade in my PS4 for it even though I don't have a 4K tv yet. Hopefully Sony offers some kind of promotion for existing users.

Instro

So let's get all the cons out of the way:

1- Developer fragmentation and optimization headaches.

RX:
A) Better tools to identify targets, deficiencies, instability.
B) Devkits designed to offer both platforms (PS4/4K) ideal performance values for their respective hardware.

2- Consumer confidence waning.

RX:
A) Set logical scheduled releases that aren't too close (<2 years) or too long (>5 years).
B) Insure consumers that as long as a game supports a "Genus" the "4" in the PS4; that it will be playable on the "Family" of PlayStation devices PS4, PS4K, PS4KS etc.

3- Poor legacy platform support.

RX:
A) Mandate strict policies which have specific targets for all platforms. IE PS4 title should run at minimum 720p 30 FPS at >90% of gameplay. etc.
B) GAURAUNTEE THAT IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM SONY WILL EVER FRAGMENT THE USERBASE.

I don't think 1 and 3 are particularly realistic.

My guess is a PS4 "slim" with added 4k support for movies and such. I really don't think the power will change.
The rumours point it being more powerful, and pretty much anything less than 4 times the power would fit with Eurogamer's claim of it not being enough for most current games. Could see 120fps native VR games getting a 60fps 4k mode, if... anyone is making 120fps native VR games beyond Playroom VR.

onQ123

Yeah, but it's definitely not going to provide the leap to 4k rendering as some folks want to believe. I imagine the added cost would probably keep them on the more conservative end too. I'm still very much expecting new features rather than a significant leap in performance.

Playing back content is very different from rendering it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATAqts8eR_Q Cell phones can play back 4k content with passive cooling.

Why would he be impressed with a PC GPU doing something that smartphones can already do?

thuway

I don't think 1 and 3 are particularly realistic.

Whether you think they are realistic or not, strict quality control paramters and developer tools exist for a reason. Sony has been all about developer ease so their tools are number 1 in the game. The Cell processor tools did some incredible stuff by showing a developer the core, the percentage of it being taxed, and how much performance was left PER FRAME.

Hexa

Complacency leads to arrogance leads to failure.

Averon

If this is just a PS4 that can play 4K Blu Rays, then there's no need for Sony to brief developers about it. The fact that Sony is briefing game developers suggests that there's some sort of hardware change in this revision that's significant enough that it required briefing and new documentation.

If this is just a PS4 that can play 4K Blu Rays, then there's no need for Sony to brief developers about it. The fact that Sony is briefing game developers suggests that there's some sort of hardware change in this revision that's significant enough that it required briefing and new documentation.

Exactly. Everyone saying its just for 4k blu rays should stop. Sony wouldn't be holding meetings at GDC to give developers a heads up about 4k blu rays. It has no impact them

thuway

4K UHD Bluray playback is so far down the priority list, it's not even funny. It does absolutely nothing to further Sony's goals of better VR performance, 4K gaming, and forward effacing levels of fidelity.

It's been apparent since the story broke that it would be an upgraded console that will make the Ps4 an actual 1080p console, run VR games better, and allow some smaller (mostly 2D) games to shoot for 4K. I imagine the new Xbox will have similar goals in mind.

The God

4K UHD Bluray playback is so far down the priority list, it's not even funny. It does absolutely nothing to further Sony's goals of better VR performance, 4K gaming, and forward effacing levels of fidelity.

It would further the goal of getting people to buy 4K displays and content though

thuway

C'mon now, if you really think they are going to put a 290X inside a Playstation next year I have a bridge here to sell you.

I never said 290X. I said 290X levels of performance in AMD's next GPU Line (Polaris). Essentially take the poewr draw of 290X and divide it by 2. AMD has been chest thumping quite a bit about their levels of performance from the new GPU and it seems to be a radical change of form for them.

2016 is the year AMD finally makes sense again on both the CPU and GPU front.

SerTapTap

Sorry for giving any incorrect numbers. I recall the latest Tested youtube channel impressions of the PSVR saying that there were games running at 45 that were re-projected to 90 fps. Maybe that was sheer guesswork on their part.

There's a whole thread calling them out for that. A real shame to see misinformation posted in popular stuff like that.

I never said 290X. I said 290X levels of performance in AMD's next GPU Line (Polaris). Essentially take the poewr draw of 290X and divide it by 2. AMD has been chest thumping quite a bit about their levels of performance from the new GPU and it seems to be a radical change of form for them.

2016 is the year AMD finally makes sense again on both the CPU and GPU front.

AMD has been saying that for years.

Years.

RedSwirl

Yeah I feel like as long as Sony laid out a specific set of guidelines it wouldn't be too difficult. Set a certain standard for whats allowed on the original system and only offer 1 upgrade per cycle. In other words we will still have PS5, but a nice small jump in between to keep somewhat up with advances in tech.

I still think developers would choose on their own to keep supporting the hardware with the biggest install base.

thuway

AMD has been saying that for years.

Years.

Your right, but the rumours circulating the interwebs about just how awesome the 14nm shrink has been to both Nvidia and AMD is too loud to ignore. We rarely ever see them and are almost garunteed boosts in performance. But this is also why I doubt a late 2016 launch.

Darkangel

I really hope it's just Option 3.

Didn't Netflix say that Sony was working on a PS4 revision that could do 4K bluray?

Averon

AMD is desperate. I can see them going to Sony and MS and sell them on using their Polaris based APUs on PS4 and XBO upgrades.

It would be a great way for AMD to market their new Polaris line of GPUs to the masses. And since the current APUs the PS4 and XBO are using is x86 based, backward compatibility will be easy to implement. So the fear of a fragmented user base is not much of an issue.

This E3:

NX
PS4K
Xbox4K

Yea, E3 will be a must watch for me. I realize that Uncharted 4 is not happening in 4k or The Witcher etc, but what are the chances that they can make simpler games in 4k? Allowing Sony to still market it as playing 4k games, although it'll only be simple indie games.

Krisprolls

Banned
I still think developers would choose on their own to keep supporting the hardware with the biggest install base.

It's not like they have anything to do. x86 / PC is everywhere now. You only need one version with slightly different graphical settings.

Top Bottom