• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Independently confirms source that the PS4.5 is real, referred as PS 4K

El_Chino

Teasing isn't cool. PM me.
cookie_monster_waiting.gif

thuway

It was a matter of time before consoles adopted the phone and tablet model, really. With MS also considering a XB1 refresh, I think traditional console cycles might indeed be on their way out.

The industry itself probably would collapse if we were to do another 8-10X leap. Budgets are bloated enough as it is. The level of fidelity in today's AAA games is more than substantial. I'd much rather developers start targeting things like image quality, better FX (motion blur, Ambient Occlusion), shadow quality, and most importantly- Framerates!

Increremental hardware is the only way to do it.

The way I figure it, a mid gen refresh is going to change as little as possible outside the guts of the APU itself. It could take AMD's latest Polaris stuff that is in the same category as it's existing jaguar parts, and pair it to existing 8gigs of GDDR. Now, We do know GDDR5X is a thing that is sampling, but i've no clue if it would be economical here. It would be pin identical to GDD5 though, so R&D costs would be low. Actual production costs though, I dunno. Can't be as cheap as the tried and true gdd5 though.

The Ps5 would be the one to move to HBM2 along side a hopefully, even beefier APU, perhaps one designed more for laptops then tablets. It would be built with 4k and high fps VR in mind.

thuway

The way I figure it, a mid gen refresh is going to change as little as possible outside the guts of the APU itself. It could take AMD's latest Polaris stuff that is in the same category as it's existing jaguar parts, and pair it to existing 8gigs of GDDR. Now, We do know GDDR5X is a thing that is sampling, but i've no clue if it would be economical here. It would be pin identical to GDD5 though, so R&D costs would be low. Actual production costs though, I dunno. Can't be as cheap as the tried and true gdd5 though.

The Ps5 would be the one to move to HBM2 along side a hopefully, even beefier APU, perhaps one designed more for laptops then tablets. It would be built with 4k and high fps VR in mind.

The issue with this logic is release timing. Process node shrinks are happening this year. Polaris launches this year. Zen launches this year. HBM 2.0 is on tap for early next year, with HBM 1.0 already in Fury X cards.

Either Sony goes all in, or they half ass it, and I really would like to see them commit to the idea entirely.

The industry itself probably would collapse if we were to do another 8-10X leap. Budgets are bloated enough as it is. The level of fidelity in today's AAA games is more than substantial. I'd much rather developers start targeting things like image quality, better FX (motion blur, Ambient Occlusion), shadow quality, and most importantly- Framerates!

Increremental hardware is the only way to do it.

Good post Thuway

Kalren

To me increasing game performance should not happen. Players with the new PS4K will have an advantage because of the better frame rate. You'll disenfranchise a majority of the user base.

To me increasing game performance should not happen. Players with the new PS4K will have an advantage because of the better frame rate. You'll disfranchise a majority of the user base.

No they won't be at a disadvantage for framerate. Online multiplayer comes down to 90% network latency which is for the most part outside of the control of anyone. The only way they would be at a disadvantage is if one has frame pacing issues and the other doesn't. Most games generally make sure the frame pacing for multiplayer is solid.

The issue with this logic is release timing. Process node shrinks are happening this year. Polaris launches this year. Zen launches this year. HBM 2.0 is on tap for early next year, with HBM 1.0 already in Fury X cards.

Either Sony goes all in, or they half ass it, and I really would like to see them commit to the idea entirely.

HBM is very pricey though, and would require major changes to the memory controller and other parts of the system. Might as well wait a few years for prices to drop, HBM2 yields to stabilize, and design all the core silicon around using it for the ps5.

Sticking with GDDR5 lets them just worry about the apu, while GDDR5X would at least be able to use the same pin layouts for everything, with a nice bandwitdth boost. I don't think anyone is building cards with it though, as of yet.

thuway

HBM is very pricey though, and would require major changes to the memory controller and other parts of the system. Might as well wait a few years for prices to drop, HBM2 yields to stabilize, and design all the core silicon around using it for the ps5.

Sticking with GDDR5 lets them just worry about the apu, while GDDR5X would at least be able to use the same pin layouts for everything, with a nice bandwitdth boost. I don't think anyone is building cards with it though, as of yet.

Isn't the Fury X using HBM 1.0? I don't think HBM 2.0 is in production just yet, but there is a little bit of a history lesson here. GDDR5 before the PS4 released was a pretty expensive and rare commodity with GPU vendors being stingy. The PS4's launch completely turned global production, prices, and mass adoption on its head.

You are absolutely right about yields and pricing stability, but that's why the hope is that Sony launches the machine in 2017 when yields for all three: Zen, Polaris, and HBM 2.0 stabilize.

The other issue is this: the entire industry will transition to HBM. If the PS4K and Xbox Two decide to go with GDDR5X they'll be losing out on savings in the long term. No matter what way you slice it, GDDR is a dinosaur on it's last legs.

kevm3

You do realise there is a massive difference between the two though right?

What massive difference aside from resolution? If there's a difference besides that, it will fracture the userbase, and really, why should consumers pay full price for a new console that is only a half generation update?

Kalren

No they won't be at a disadvantage for framerate. Online multiplayer comes down to 90% network latency which is for the most part outside of the control of anyone. The only way they would be at a disadvantage is if one has frame pacing issues and the other doesn't. Most games generally make sure the frame pacing for multiplayer is solid.

Are you suggesting there are no players who reduce resolution on their PCs to get a competative advantage with a solid/higher frame rate?

thuway

What massive difference aside from resolution? If there's a difference besides that, it will fracture the userbase, and really, why should consumers pay full price for a new console that is only a half generation update?

If you give the freedom to consumers to allow them to switch to any GPU on whim, it will absolutely destroy any hopes of symmetry for performance. Sony + MS are better off releasing closed boxes on fixed intervals. They can atleast control design paramters and performance barriers. If they open up the GPU to be changed, your no welcoming the wild west, and your prediction of "fracturing the userbase" couldn't be more true.

kevm3

If you give the freedom to consumers to allow them to switch to any GPU on whim, it will absolutely destroy any hopes of symmetry for performance. Sony + MS are better off releasing closed boxes on fixed intervals. They can atleast control design paramters and performance barriers. If they open up the GPU to be changed, your no welcoming the wild west, and your prediction of "fracturing the userbase" couldn't be more true.

They're fracturing the userbase anyways with this. I don't really see the point of this 'choice' other than making gamers pay full price for a half gen update.

Isn't the Fury X using HBM 1.0? I don't think HBM 2.0 is in production just yet, but there is a little bit of a history lesson here. GDDR5 before the PS4 released was a pretty expensive and rare commodity with GPU vendors being stingy. The PS4's launch completely turned global production, prices, and mass adoption on its head.

You are absolutely right about yields and pricing stability, but that's why the hope is that Sony launches the machine in 2017 when yields for all three: Zen, Polaris, and HBM 2.0 stabilize.

The other issue is this: the entire industry will transition to HBM. If the PS4K and Xbox Two decide to go with GDDR5X they'll be losing out on savings in the long term. No matter what way you slice it, GDDR is a dinosaur on it's last legs.

Hadn't GDDR5 been around in consumer cards since 2008 or so? I remember that the ps4 was only able to use 8 gigs of it because prices had fallen to allow the bump form the previously rumored 4 gigs.

RedSwirl

This has all got me second-guessing my PC GPU upgrade. I was gonna wait and see what Nvidia does/announces with Pascal this summer and probably get mid-range Pascal (GTX-whatever60).

Man, I'm really gonna have to wait till E3 for all my hardware purchasing decisions this year.

Are you suggesting there are no players who reduce resolution on their PCs to get a competative advantage with a solid/higher frame rate?

I'm saying it doesn't give them that much of an advantage. Unless the difference in frame rate is > 60fps(33ms difference in framerate related lag), the difference in network lag is going to be greater. If you are playing on a LAN though, the difference would be entirely related to framerate. In which case, there's a competitive advantage there. However, local console play is 90% of the time on the same machine (Are there any LAN capable games these days for consoles?). In that case, you are playing on the same machine so again no disadvantage or advantage.

That is one version would have to be 30 and the other 90+ for framerate to be a meaningful factor. Otherwise, the only way it would be screwing someone over is if there is bad framepacing in one but not the other.

kyser73

*A deep silence descended upon the thread, awaiting the return of Kagari the Crystal Bearer. Many of the villagers looked for a grey sign 'pon Zoetis' username*

bitbydeath

Gold Member
They're fracturing the userbase anyways with this. I don't really see the point of this 'choice' other than making gamers pay full price for a half gen update.

No they're not, it is no different to how some currently game on 720p vs 1080p.
Everything else remains the same.

kyser73

Can I walk into a shop and buy the same gane and it runs on both consoles?

If I can there's no fracturing the user base. One set of owners get to play at higher rez, possibly same rez but with higher framerate.

If OTOH this isn't the case then you have a problem.

Can I walk into a shop and buy the same gane and it runs on both consoles?

If I can there's no fracturing the user base. One set of owners get to play at higher rez, possibly same rez but with higher framerate.

If OTOH this isn't the case then you have a problem.

OTOH is a thing?

Top Bottom