• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer is moving to a five-star review rating system, beginning this week (starting with Zelda Tears of the Kingdom).

Wildebeest

Seems like a move to distract subs from the fact their staff are unprofessional trolls, even after lowering their sub price.

Elysion

Banned
I prefer a 10 point scale; anything less than that is just too vague, and anything more is too arbitrary. A 3/5 for example doesn’t really tell me anything. It could be the equivalent of a 5/10, in which case the game would be pretty meh, or it could be the equivalent of a 7/10, which means the game is pretty decent.

Regarding the issue that the lower half of a 10 point (or 100 point) scale is rarely used, I think that‘s mostly due to the fact that there are very few games these days (especially in the AAA space) that are genuinely terrible. It seems people have forgotten just how absolutely shitty and downright unplayable some games in the past used to be. Like, there aren’t really any modern equivalents to abominations like ET or Superman 64 for example, at least none that I can think of. I remember seeing quite a few scores below 5/10 (or 50/100) in gaming magazines during the 32-bit era (when I first started reading them); those kinds of scores got rarer during the PS2 era, and then almost vanished starting with 7th gen. And I think that’s because games on average have gotten much better since then.

Last edited:

Tams

I still laugh at the concept of the 100-point system. How on earth do you differentiate a 9.1 from a 9.2? Ratings with lower scales will always carry more weight because it requires the reviewer to at least consider the differences between scores.
Because that's just percentages?

You have 10 levels (100 being on its own and perfection) and within each 10% level, the you can get granularity. The exact percentage is subjective.

Stuff like that happens because at first something 'isn't a five, but four is too harsh'. So then you end up with half stars, or /10s. But then something 'isn't a 9/10, but 8/10 is too harsh. So you end up with .5s or /100.

nkarafo

This is the best rating system.

a 5/5 rating can fit every great/classic game, without necessarily being close to perfect. And you don't have to do pointless comparisons like "Why Zelda got 99 and GoW got only 95"? All games that get the same rating can be better or worse than each other, depending on taste. But when you break down the ratings to smaller numbers it's like you are nip picking too much.

Last edited:

Thief1987

Now i see why they returned to scoring system :D
screenshot_2023-05-316ffh0.jpg

Last edited:
If your reviewers can't handle a 10-point-scale because they "overuse" the upper half of it. I think you have a bigger problem on hour hands than just the number of points you give.

Melon Husk

Every rating system eventually tends towards a logarithmic scale, where 5/5 is ten times more desireable than 4/5, and so on.

Top Bottom