• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Nearly 1 in 5 gamers are LGBT+, says new GLAAD “study”

Bkdk

The rise of % in younger generation in LGBT proves that it is just a personal choice affected by society pressure rather than born with it. Transgender is particular interesting as it requires surgery, it's getting more and more obvious that the healthcare industry is pushing for the increase of trans people so that they could grow revenue and profits.

Cyberpunkd

The rise of % in younger generation in LGBT proves that it is just a personal choice affected by society pressure rather than born with it. Transgender is particular interesting as it requires surgery, it's getting more and more obvious that the healthcare industry is pushing for the increase of trans people so that they could grow revenue and profits.
Or (and in line with research) it only shows people being more comfortable now to admit they are non-hetero, whereas decades ago they would just hidden it…

Season 18 Omg GIF by America's Got Talent

Barakov

Gold Member
Maybe explain all those western garbage.

So, are gamers less toxic now?
Nah. They're about the same I'd say. In CS2 alone I've seen quite a bit of tea bagging and several creative verbal conjugations of various swear words.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The rise of % in younger generation in LGBT proves that it is just a personal choice affected by society pressure rather than born with it.
Twin studies demonstrate that—as with virtually everything in human behavior—sexuality a combination of genes and environment.

The drastic generational rise in LGBTQIA2S+++ identification is obviously cultural, particularly when new identifiers get invented every day so that more people can find ways to belong to the group.

All part of being in a free society though.

Bojji

Aren't something like 40% of zoomers non-binary or gay? Two of my nieces (in high school) came out as trans this year.

What a thing to witness coming from the 90s! LGBTQ-ification of the world.

This number is like that because young people THINK they are part of some mysterious group inside that LGBT... umbrella or one (or more) of 999 new genders. People are still developing brains even around 20, to think that really young children are indoctrinated with this crap is really something, no wonder they don't have a fucking clue who they are.

In reality probably around 90% of population is "just" straight males and females, few percent of gay people and some tiny amount of people with ACTUAL sex related problems (like having male brain in female body or vice versa). And it was like that trough history, super high numbers that we have today are result of children indoctrination and almost all media pushing this stuff.

Being straight is also boring and not that popular so young people will gravitate to be something else.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This number is like that because young people THINK they are part of some mysterious group inside that LGBT... umbrella or one (or more) of 999 new genders. People are still developing brains even around 20, to think that really young children are indoctrinated with this crap is really something, no wonder they don't have a fucking clue who they are.

In reality probably around 90% of population is "just" straight males and females, few percent of gay people and some tiny amount of people with ACTUAL sex related problems (like having male brain in female body or vice versa). And it was like that trough history, super high numbers that we have today are result of children indoctrination and almost all media pushing this stuff.

Being straight is also boring and not that popular so young people will gravitate to be something else.
All I know is growing up with TV, video games and board games in the 80s, I was a pervy kid who preferred hotties in their 20s-40s. While some of buddies in school would be liking Alyssa Milano in Whos the Boss (when she was a kid), I;'d be horned up on the women on Threes Company, the blonde in Too Close for Comfort and staying up late watching sex coms like Porkys on late night TV. Daisy Duke was all I cared about in Dukes of Hazzard.

There is no way, no how I'd convert to being gay no matter how many people told me to like Jack and Larry, over Janet and Terri. lol

But in modern day, all it takes is some people pressured by social media and teachers to classify themselves a different pronoun based on lectures and trying to put people in silos. If someone has a dream about a random naked guy, does that make him gay? Well, some people will surely say yes. Only a gay guy would dream that.

Last edited:

Bojji

All I know is growing up with TV, video games and board games in the 80s, I was a pervy kid who preferred hotties in their 20s-40s. While some of buddies in school would be liking Alyssa Milano in Whos the Boss (when she was a kid), I;'d be horned up on the women on Threes Company, the blonde in Too Close for Comfort and staying up late watching sex coms like Porkys on late night TV. Daisy Duke was all I cared about in Dukes of Hazzard.

There is no way, no how I'd convert to being gay no matter how many people told me to like Jack and Larry, over Janet and Terri. lol

But in modern day, all it takes is some people pressured by social media and teachers to classify themselves a different pronoun based on lectures and trying to put people in silos. If someone has a dream about a random naked guy, does that make him gay? Well, some people will surely say yes. Only a gay guy would dream that.

Exactly, I don't think anyone can actually force straight people to be attracted to same sex or gay people to be attracted to opposite sex. This shit is deeply rooted in our brains and we are born with it

There is some part that can be influenced by society but I think many years of governments trying to change gay people into straight showed that this doesn't really work.

We have so many sexual orientations and pronouns invented in recent years that probably every straight person on the planet can identify as part of LGBT by choosing something that is somewhat representative of them. This current trend of labelling everything is funny and tragic at the same time.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Yeah, nice try Draughtgoth.

A lot of people are into the LGB community without it necessarily reflecting their sexuality 1:1. It could be that they just support the movement.

Last edited:
Twin studies demonstrate that—as with virtually everything in human behavior—sexuality a combination of genes and environment.

The drastic generational rise in LGBTQIA2S+++ identification is obviously cultural, particularly when new identifiers get invented every day so that more people can find ways to belong to the group.

It is indeed part of being in a free (relative to the East) society, but one wonders if the rise comes from the virtues of freedoms or the challenges around freedoms in the modern world.

mhirano

That is good but is not news.

"In 2021, Ipsos interviewed people in 27 countries spanning all continents on their sexual orientation and gender identity. For some countries the samples were weighed for representativity, but in others with less internet access, they skewed more urban. In this survey, on average about 80% of people worldwide identified as heterosexual, 3% as gay, lesbian or homosexual, 4% as bisexual, 1% as pansexual or omnisexual, 1% as asexual, 1% as "other", and 11% don't know or won't say.["
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_sexual_orientation

Worldwide survey of general population shows 80% of people are heterossexual. So the remaining 20% are LGBQIA+ (20% is exactly 1 in 5)...

Bojji

That is good but is not news.

"In 2021, Ipsos interviewed people in 27 countries spanning all continents on their sexual orientation and gender identity. For some countries the samples were weighed for representativity, but in others with less internet access, they skewed more urban. In this survey, on average about 80% of people worldwide identified as heterosexual, 3% as gay, lesbian or homosexual, 4% as bisexual, 1% as pansexual or omnisexual, 1% as asexual, 1% as "other", and 11% don't know or won't say.["
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_sexual_orientation

Worldwide survey of general population shows 80% of people are heterossexual. So the remaining 20% are LGBQIA+ (20% is exactly 1 in 5)...

Many of that "11% don't know or won't say" are just hetero.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Weird. If google is right, 7.1% identify as LGBTQ in the US. Assuming this is universal and maybe on the low side, this survey on gamers shows either a bias towards gaming or a bias towards sampling.

I could see younger LGBTQ leaning more towards gaming than non LGBTQ simply because it is easier to meet people online, etc. So it may very well be that gamers skew gayer than the gen pop.

Ah yes...kids nowadays feel pressured to be LGBT due to society.

Gaf never ceases to amaze me.

Eurogamer: Nearly 1 in 5 gamers are LGBT+, says new GLAAD study​

I Dont Season 8 GIF by Friends

LGBT+ are in all layers of society Movie fans, Racists, Lego collectors. Why does this need extra study?
LGBT+ers exist. So OF COURSE they're represented in the gaming community also.

Non news.

Eurogamer: Apparantly some gamers are gay, says a new GLAAD study.
Eurogamer: Nearly 1 out of 10 gamers is vegatarian.
Eurogamer: Nearly 3 out of 10 gamers has an itchy ass.

The list goes on and on and on.

I mean COME ON!!!

Last edited:

kyussman

The alphabet crowd aren't big fans of free speech though are they.......politicians in my country are toying with the idea of prosecutions for misgendering,bear in mind a man can literally just say he's a woman these days and that becomes fact according to the gender ideologues.Imagine living in a world where I have to pretend men are women to avoid jail....no free society there.

wa600

1 in 5 is 20%, 1 in 6 is ~16,7%. According to the article its 17%, so the author just decided to inflate the numbers. I would be surprised if this study wasnt done in a similar way.. trying to push a narrative.

When Persona 4 Golden was rereleased on PC early 2023, that person made a review how bad the game has aged. Seems to be a person completely obsessed with this whole LGBT stuff and reading things into the game which actually arent even there and completely misinterpreting what the writers were trying to tell.

You can google his name and Persona 4 and you will easily find the article, here just some excerpts:

It's the poor representation that has truly soured my time with the game, however. P4G is rife with misogyny. Female characters exist almost always under a male gaze, their worth directly relating to their looks. They're almost constantly hit on, be it by their friends or even their creepy teachers. The two girls the hero befriends are heavily stereotyped between the quiet pretty one and the outspoken nerdy one - it's clear which is considered more desirable. That's made explicit when male friend Yosuke directly asks the player which girl he'd rather date, as if fancying at least one of them is inevitable. I chose neither and my character's courage increased: it does take courage to not fit societal norms, after all.

Kanji is a fellow student who has dropped out of school to beat up the local biker gang. He's aggressive, unlikeable, and a delinquent.

He's also gay, though not explicitly. He's just portrayed using harmful stereotypes that are at best awkward and at worst downright homophobic. Playing through his story arc is deeply uncomfortable.

"He may have some sort of complex," says one character describing Kanji, as if sexuality is an issue to be cured, while others describe him as strange. When questioned, Kanji insists "this ain't what you think!", afraid to open up.

The implication of all this is that Naoto is trans, but rather than accepting this, another bait and switch occurs.

Elysium44

Banned
Or (and in line with research) it only shows people being more comfortable now to admit they are non-hetero, whereas decades ago they would just hidden it…

Sounds like you mean 'research' which starts with a predetermined conclusion and works backwards from there.

In reality, the only reason 'trans' is increasing is because impressionable young children are being confused by modern gender ideology extremism. In the past, if a girl wore jeans and liked doing things boys typically did then she'd be called a tomboy - but nobody would ever have thought she was actually a male born in the 'wrong' body. But if you tell a young girl who doesn't like playing with dolls or wearing dresses that she might actually be 'male' then of course some of them are going to believe it. If you tell impressionable people any kind of bullshit, some of them will believe it.

tkscz

A lot of it comes with younger kids not being able to find themselves and get lost with no sense of personal identity or self love. They feel like outcast at all times and like no one talks to them, so they don't get a chance to express emotions or personality. It's like religion with drug addicts who need something to help them stay clean. These kids tend to be introverts or shut ins due to negative experiences. They find these groups and slowly they feel like they belong to something. These groups then tell them how to think and what to believe to the point that their personality changes to match the groups so that they still feel they belong. But these kids still feel lost because they never got the chance to find out who they are according to their own personal beliefs, likes, dislikes, hobbies etc etc...

I speak on this based on watching my daughter interact with her online friends who are like this. I constantly have to remind my own kid that she's important and she should have self worth before seeking approval from others. This has helped her a lot since the group she talks to act more like resetEra members than friends sense they are willing to dismiss other kids at the drop of a dime if that kid happens to live in "the wrong areas".

CGNoire

Ah yes...kids nowadays feel pressured to be LGBT due to society.

Gaf never ceases to amaze me.
Whats there to be confused by?

1994: Gay people used to pretend to be Straight just to Fit in.

2024: Straight people pretend to be Gay just to Fit in.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
See? That’s because you cannot choose to be gay.

jeff goldblum checkmate GIF
You can be groomed/trended/peer pressured (whatever they want to label it now) to identify in "current thing" and still not be gay. The rere's call themselves "non binary" and still jump into the alphabet soup group which majorly skews the "gen z has a massive LGBT+ increase." That is the point people are making.

Last edited:

gtabro

That would explain why Larian are promoting so much homosexuality on their page, I mean the game doesn't even have much lgbt-related stuff in it, but I guess they have a plan with their social media, idk man

Last edited:

Exede

Why the fuck is it importend to anyone what sexual orientation a gamer has... at all.
Whats wrong with some people?

Top Bottom