• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Next COD is Indeed Called COD: WWII

Eggbok

I like the title
G01Ye.gif

Chris1

I guess at they will likely split the franchise in 3 timelines. One for each studio. Past/Present/Future.

I think future is done. If there's anything 'future' it'll be like BO2 near-future IMO, no way they delve into the jetpack nonsense again

BO2 is the absolute furthest they should go again, futuristic enough to have some crazy shit, but not enough to have everyone jumping about like goofballs with jetpacks

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
We haven't had a AAA ww2 game in almost 10 years, I'll be happy to revisit that time period.
Bummed sledgehammer can't do advanced warfare 2 though :/

dugdug

Banned
We truly live in bizarro world. First everyone complains that CoD's futuiristic tone is already washed out too much (remember the dislikes for that Infinite Warfare trailer?) and that the franchise should go back to it's roots. Now that they're doing it everyone complains about CoD doing so.

I swear to god there HAS to be something to complain about for people otherwise they secretly can't be happy.

When people said "roots" they didn't mean WWII.

Yes, that's where the actual series started, so that's the literal roots, but, everyone knows the roots that people want are in Modern Warfare.

Chris1

Yes, that's where the actual series started, so that's the literal roots, but, everyone knows the roots that people want are in Modern Warfare.

Present day is what people want most but I'll definitely take WW2 over the dumb future stuff.

I agree, I'll probably get this simple because it's not got jet pack nonsense, but present day or near future (BO2) was what I wanted it to go back to personally

I loved World at War, but why do I have a feeling that somehow this game is going to include red dot sights, wall running, and jet packs?

I also hope they can get the weapon balance right. MP40+Juggernaut completely ruined WaW.

Is this releasing this year?

I feel like they decided to go back to ww2 after seeing the success of battlefield 1 and that doesnt give them enough time to make a complete polished game.

I have a feeling this would suffer from ( make a game fast and drop it before holiday season to sell fast?

CrayToes

I guess at they will likely split the franchise in 3 timelines. One for each studio. Past/Present/Future.

Blows my mind that Activision weren't smart enough to do this years ago.

Sledgehammer - Past
Treyarch - Present
Infinity Ward - Future

Instead we've had all 3 studios making near-future bullshit for years.

FeD.nL

Define people.

UO for example already had a point based, per match progression system in place through which the player could eventually could call in an airstrike. I think it was something like every 10 points you gained a rank and at 40 points you can call in the airstrike. And points were earned through kills and playing the objective.

MW refined that system but also took a step back by only allowing kills to be the way you could earn the streak. While making the ranking up persistent.

Courage

A gritty take on WW2 helmed by Sledgehammer is enough to get me somewhat excited. I'm expecting great things from the campaign.

Sledgehammer - Past
Treyarch - Present
Infinity Ward - Future

Everything since Black Ops 2 has been 20 minutes into the future and it's gotten stale fast.

Kill3r7

Sledgehammer - Past
Treyarch - Present
Infinity Ward - Future

I think TF really threw them for a loop. They felt that verticality/mobility was going to be the next big thing. So it is not that surprising. That said, I agree that this setup is a no brainer.

Gator86

I just have no faith in this series anymore. Moving back to WW2 gives them a chance to put out something fresh, but I just assume it's going to be dogshit with gacha crates and P2W multiplayer.

Joezie

I hope if this becomes the new trend that they find new set pieces. A huge part of WW2 fatigue for me was having to invade the same beaches on D-day and play in the same general areas in Stalingrad or Moscow.

Think they would be aided if they tried to go a bit more obscure. Something like the Battle of Arracourt or the Siege of Lille. Even bringing back a few older but not often seen battles like from Operation Crusader from COD 2 I think it was would be good.

Redd

I do pretty good in blops3 and got a 2.27 kd but I freaking hate Wall Running and Jet Packs. If this means they get rid of that stuff then do it.

I wonder if the title is Activision being cute and it standing for World at War II. Only problem is that was a Treyarch game.

Whatever the case, I do hope they keep the brutality of W@W. To me that was the big thing that defined it and set it apart from previous WWII games, just how bloody and vicious they presented WWII as, compared to how sanitized it generally is presented.

Like I think W@W is really underrated. A lot of people consider Black Ops I as the game Treyarch came into their own as a CoD dev (probably because of WWII fatigue), but I think they actually did that in W@W. I'm also a bit nostalgic for CoD III as it was my first 360 game, but uh, that hasn't aged particularly well.

Maybe for those who started CoD on console with 4, for me the roots are absolutely Cod1/UO

I am super excited for this CoD. I have hated the direction the series has gone over the past couple years. This is a day one purchase for me.

I think the biggest question to me is what the locales will be. From the cover it seems obvious that they'll be a new take on D-Day (not exactly the first HD take since CoD2 had Pointe du Hoc), which could be cool, but I really don't want them to have the same Stalingrad, Normandy, Bastogne, Berlin format that most WWII CoD games had.

Seeing these "WWII and Destiny 2 titles are lazy" is hilarious because Activision knows what they're doing. Marketing > creativity. Cmon GAF.

Van Bur3n

Can't wait to unlock my red dot rare legendary STG-44 that I got a pink skin with from my micro transaction supply drop.

Back to our roots, bros.

Top Bottom