• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Nintendo Switch to get Pokémon Sun and Moon third version: Pokemon Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does this post even mean? Some further explanation is required.

It means, that their consoles have been on a decline since the SNES, and since the Switch is a console (according to Nintendo), Pokemon will save it.

Though it's not technically true since the switch is replacing the console and handheld.

N.Grim

For what? I don't understand what are you trying to say, really. Can you formulate a full point, please, so I canunderstand what are you trying to argument against from what I wrote?
"it's all due to Nintendo trying to have their cake and eating it" it's not the case with this leak, because the game will (eventually) come out in one year, and it's not a short time

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
"it's all due to Nintendo trying to have their cake and eating it" it's not the case with this leak, because the game will (eventually) come out in one year, and it's not a short time

It's not only about Pokemon, it's also about 3ds sales in general. They adopted a strategy in which they announced NX some 20 months ago, put up a short reveal video a month ago while still pretending all this time that Switch doesn't exist.

And while the impact won't be that big on Pokemon sales because the fans will double dip, there will be some impact. Enough for Nintendo to be upset about this leak. Which was totally predictable though. If there was no impact there was no reason for this secrecy. I still think that Nintendo should have rather prioritised the long term development.

You think Pokemon would not have been in the January event? I generally doubt Nintendo's abilities to communicate properly, but this would be insane.

Guess it depends on when it launches. I don't think people would need to know in January no, and it would be in their interests to keep it quiet for longer. If it was announced before launch, maybe Feb 27th like Sun Moon was.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Guess it depends on when it launches. I don't think people would need to know in January no, and it would be in their interests to keep it quiet for longer.

I can kind of see that, but on the other hand, the January event is clearly designed to be the huge blowout that gets everyone excited about the console- so I would kind of think Pokemon would have to be there.

You think Pokemon would not have been in the January event? I generally doubt Nintendo's abilities to communicate properly, but this would be insane.

I think they would have withheld this info until the Summer after Switch launched, yeah. I think in Nintendo's mind people knowing about this would stop them from buying one of the 10 million copies of Sun/Moon they just shipped on 3DS.

Although I think that's just silly, this news isn't going to impact Sun/Moon's sales in any real way.

If 0.5% of the 10 million copies shipped at launch are not bought because of this news (and just sample how many in this thread have canceled their orders), then that's 500,000 lost sales.

It causes damage.

If you cancel a 3DS preorder in favor of investing $200-$300 into Nintendo's next gen ecosystem and buying the same game anyway, likely at a higher price, I think they'll sleep just fine.

This isn't being revealed in January. Or if it is, that'd be dumb and probably piss people off. Even UMVC3's announcement had a slower turnaround time and that game got tons of shit for it. Now imagine that with something on the scale of Pokemon.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If the games coming for Holidays 2017 (practically 6-9 months from launch) should not be present in the January event, then I don't understand why the January event is set up like this and why all the secrecy.

If the games coming for Holidays 2017 (practically 6-9 months from launch) should not be present in the January event, then I don't understand why the January event is set up like this and why all the secrecy.

Aren't Pokemon games always revealed on their own terms anyway?

ty_hot

what? pokemon yellow is a enhanced version over red? I had the yellow and always wanted to have the red instead (idk why lol)

oti

Banned
I think one big reason NoE is apparently in meltdown mode right now is the TPC. TPC must be super pissed right now. Like, super mega Z-move pissed.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think one big reason NoE is apparently in meltdown mode right now is the TPC. TPC must be super pissed right now. Like, super mega Z-move pissed.

They are since the old leaks that caused the delay of the recent pokemon games in EU by one week

Kouriozan

With Necrozma being the Prism Pokemon they should use Sun and Moon's codename, Rainbow, as this game's actual title.

Game Freak and the Pokemon Company reveal games when they feel like it.
I remember all the nights watching Pokemon Smash, Get⭐️TV and all the following ones when Masuda appeared to hope for a new game.

So you're saying that Nintendo stops everybody from announcing their games on their own marketing schedule, but Game Freak is excepted from this?
Game Freak isn't owned by Nintendo and they don't completely own Pokemon either. Game Freak does what it wants and they always make a shit ton of money for Nintendo.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Game Freak isn't owned by Nintendo and they don't completely own Pokemon either. Game Freak does what it wants and they always make a shit ton of money for Nintendo.

That's not the point. Ubisoft is not owned by Nintendo. Bethesda is not owned by Nintendo either. Nor EA. But all of them supposed to follow Nintendo's marketing schedule towards the big January event. I don't understand how you can have a Pokemon game launching in the first year of the console and not be at least announced at the big reveal event for that console. It's absurd.

LordKano

They are since the old leaks that caused the delay of the recent pokemon games in EU by one week

That's the perfect revenge from Eurogamer, in name of the whole Europe.
I still can't play Pokémon until Wednesday and that's unbelievable nowadays.

That's not the point. Ubisoft is not owned by Nintendo. Bethesda is not owned by Nintendo either. Nor EA. But all of them supposed to follow Nintendo's marketing schedule towards the big January event. I don't understand how you can have a Pokemon game launching in the first year of the console and not be at least announced at the big reveal event for that console. It's absurd.
Because Sun and Moon JUST came out and third versions are always announced relatively near when they launch. The game will be announced in May or June.

So you're saying that Nintendo stops everybody from announcing their games on their own marketing schedule, but Game Freak is excepted from this?

Kind of? I mean, Pokemon games are always announced separately from Nintendo's main events. Probably because Nintendo aren't the sole owners of Pokemon.

Looking at the past few years.

- Black and White were announced in spring 2010 (i.e. before E3)
- B2/W2 were revealed in February 2012 on the Pokemon Smash show
- X and Y got their own special Direct in January, separate from Nintendo's big Wii U direct that month
- ORAS were randomly revealed at an investors' meeting a month before E3 2014
- These games were revealed in February a few days before a general Nintendo Direct.

So I mean, being revealed separate from a big Nintendo event is pretty much normal for the franchise. It's not that unthinkable.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Kind of? I mean, Pokemon games are always announced separately from Nintendo's main events. Probably because Nintendo aren't the sole owners of Pokemon.

Looking at the past few years.

- Black and White were announced in spring 2010 (i.e. before E3)
- B2/W2 were revealed in February 2012 on the Pokemon Smash show
- X and Y got their own special Direct in January, separate from Nintendo's big Wii U direct that month
- ORAS were randomly revealed at an investors' meeting a month before E3 2014
- These games were revealed in February a few days before a general Nintendo Direct.

So I mean, being revealed separate from a big Nintendo event is pretty much normal for the franchise. It's not that unthinkable.

None of those were linked to a new console release.

Kneefoil

If Stars was a summer release, I could see them announcing the game in the January event, but since that's apparently no longer the case, I'm not expecting an announcement for it in January.

Pokémon games often don't get announced long before release, so January seems a bit early. For example, ORAS was announced in May 7, 2014. and released in November 21th of the same year (so just over 6 months between the two). Likewise the last third version of a Pokémon game, Platinum, was announced May 15, 2008, and released in Japan on September 13, 2008 (~4 month time period).

I dunno about that. The leak happened in Canada as well.

Angelina

Banned
Wait people think they are gonna lose there shit over people saying they are waiting for nx. They are actually gain over 3x money by u doing that haha

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Do Nintendo absolutely need to blow their load on every single Switch game before E3? You have to keep some sort of anticipation coming.

Nintendo comes after two failed launches. I don't think Nintendo affords to hold things back. A console is a long term investment for most of the people, is not just about the launch line-up. They need people to buy it also past the launch month. The January event is not just for the fans like us.

I don't want to see again a panic move like the January 2013 Direct. Nintendo needs to be proactive not just reactive.

Kid Heart

So, over two decades later we are finally getting a mainline Pokemon game on Nintendo's home console, huh? Interesting. I hope the Stars version has enough to differentiate it from Sun and Moon to make the purchase worthwhile though.

Nintendo comes after two failed launches. I don't think Nintendo affords to hold things back. A console is a long term investment for most of the people, is not just about the launch line-up. They need people to buy it also past the launch month. The January event is not just for the fans like us.

I don't want to see again a panic move like the January 2013 Direct. Nintendo needs to be proactive not just reactive.

Don't you think it would be key to have the January event be the beginning of strong momentum which is supported by Directs throughout the year and an excellent E3 showcase? If Nintendo announced absolutely EVERYTHING in January, and then showed up at E3 going, "nope, that's it, we have no more announcements for the whole year" that would instantly kill their vibes they had spent so long to build up. Bad move. It's important to time announcements and marketing strategically.

Even at their E3 this year they managed to have completely new announcements despite their anemic lineup. Inspiring consumer confidence is a long-term, continuous process.

On top of all that January is just not long enough after Sun and Moon's original release. I really can't see a situation where a third version is announced for the Switch on that short notice and doesn't create controversy. They're going to wait long enough so the announcement can come at just the right time when the "but I JUST bought that" period is over and people are legitimately interested in something new from the series.

Meesh

This might sound weak... but I've never played a Pokémon game and I own all the Nintendo portables. Oddly enough, Pokémon on switch kinda has me sold already... I've always wanted to play, but on TV really. This is awesome news!!

Samaritan

So is it safe to assume yet that Eurogamer is basically going to take up a permanent residence on Nintendo's black list? It seems like every other Switch leak/verified rumor has come out of them. I can't remember the last time Nintendo appeared to be so leaky.

Don't you think it would be key to have the January event be the beginning of strong momentum which is supported by Directs throughout the year and an excellent E3 showcase? If Nintendo announced absolutely EVERYTHING in January, and then showed up at E3 going, "nope, that's it, we have no more announcements for the whole year" that would instantly kill their vibes they had spent so long to build up. Bad move. It's important to time announcements and marketing strategically.

Even at their E3 this year they managed to have completely new announcements despite their anemic lineup. Inspiring consumer confidence is a long-term, continuous process.

Yeah I was gonna say they certainly need to hold out on some announcements for E3. I'm not sure I'd expect the pokemon announcement in January, though they should include some announcement which reassures people this will be getting traditionally handheld games. Monster Hunter should suffice for that.

So is it safe to assume yet that Eurogamer is basically going to take up a permanent residence on Nintendo's black list? It seems like every other Switch leak/verified rumor has come out of them. I can't remember the last time Nintendo appeared to be so leaky.

I'd say Nintendo needs Eurogamer a bit more than Eurogamer needs Nintendo though. So I don't think they'll blacklist them from any events if that's what you were suggesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom