• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Nintendo Switch to get Pokémon Sun and Moon third version: Pokemon Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strings

There's always one poster that can make anything into a Nintendo fuck up.

Huh?

Not really sure what to say. I'm just disappointed. Like, I'd be fine with it being late if it offered significantly different content, or I'd be fine if it made launch as just a third version.

But both just feels lazy :(

Ydelnae

Pokémon Solar Eclipse and Lunar Eclipse. Pull a BW2 with a new story, same region and more content and I'm okay with it.

Phamit

Indeed, Switch will be the first Nintendo "home" console to receive a main Pokémon adventure. It only took 20 years.

If it's basically the same game and not a new one designed for the power of a home console. is it really what people meant when they said they want a Pokemon on a home console ?

Playing a Pokemon on a console wasn't much of a problem ( well outside the DS and 3DS games) with super game boy etc.

Peru

Huh?

Not really sure what to say. I'm just disappointed. Like, I'd be fine with it being late if it offered significantly different content, or I'd be fine if it made launch as just a third version.

The third versions of Pokemon games always come some time after the initial launch, though. Difference this time is it's with better graphics and on a different system.

Huh?

They always came at least a year after.

I cancelled my pre-order of the Sun/Moon bundle (my brother & I were gonna split the cost and get one cartridge each). I'm also no longer getting the n3DS Black Friday deal (which I mentioned earlier in this thread).
Why would you do this for a rumor of a game that might not be released for a year, or not at all?

If it's basically the same game and not a new one designed for the power of a home console. is it really what people meant when they said they want a Pokemon on a home console ?

Playing a Pokemon on a console wasn't much of a problem ( well outside the DS and 3DS games) with super game boy etc.

High def assets alone are a game changer.

LordKano

This is only the first, you'll get another Pokémon on it in 2018-2019.

Randomizer

Because they are journalists not a PR company.
There have been rumours swirling for a few days now. Why wait until the release day to finally publish an article?

They knew what they were doing. Pokémon Sun and Moon will be trending today and they want to piggyback off of that to get more clicks. I except more of Eurogamer they are usually one of the more rebuttable sites.

Yeah, I pull myself together after realizing that it will not be released within a year. I can enjoy the game now, which is what I am going to do.

Clefargle

Sitting on the couch with a proper controller and playing mainline Pokémon online on my console is a dream I've always wanted. This is gonna be the best.

...Guess ill eat my previous words from other Switch threads about them not counting this thing as a full fledged handheld.

Well, shit. Way to kill momentum.

Most pre-ordered game ( I think) this year and the most pre-ordered game in the franchise, I think it's okay.

Not to mention since it a 3rd version. It would be next year (like November at the earliest probably.)

I would be surprised if it actually makes 2017.

Plum

Huh?

It could almost definitely make launch, but game publishing is in most cases nowhere near the "release it when it's finished," philosophy you think it has. Why would Nintendo cannibalize Sun and Moon sales by releasing a superior version 4 months afterwards all whilst cannibalizing sales of 3D Mario, the Mario RPG, Skyrim and whatever else is there at launch? It makes no business sense and is far from lazy.

We also don't know what exactly it will include though it seems to be the "3rd" version like Platinum, Crystal and Yellow. Those all released a year or 2 later so if you're fine with those you shoild be fine with this.

I get the feeling this might be one of Nintendo's big holiday titles next year, so I don't think it'd be a total waste to buy Sun or Moon (or both?) right now.

ramparter

Banned
Pokémon Solar Eclipse and Lunar Eclipse. Pull a BW2 with a new story, same region and more content and I'm okay with it.

That would take more time though and imo it's better for Switch to have the game soon.

You never know, maybe there's also a Pokemon Eclipse coming in 2017-2018 as an enhaned version of Sun/Moon/Stars.

Neoxon

Why would you do this for a rumor of a game that might not be released for a year, or not at all?
I'd prefer not to spend too much money on something if I don't have to. In the case of the Wii U ports, they're far enough apart to where I didn't care. In this case, I can stand to wait a year for Stars.

People talking about how "predictable" is this leak are talking without knowing the fact that Game Freak is known for taking its time to jump into a new generation and if that trend would continue probably the third version would be for the 3DS.

Less production costs and a safer install base is really tempting so changing this trend is a risky move for them. I wonder if Nintendo money hat'd this.

Also, first main Pokémon game on a home console after 20 years.

This isnt by any aspect a predictable move, guys.

Booki

86822-not-like-this-gif-perfect-loop-pD6b.gif

Aleh

Nice if they really are jumping on the new console this soon, and not with a new gen so the current one doesn't feel abandoned. I'll probably skip Stars since I got Moon but it at least means Gen 8 won't have to suck due to GF getting some experience with the new hardware first

Strings

How is this the sa.....ah nvm - this is another Splatoon/MK Switch are just ports situation when in fact they seem to be adding alot to these titles for the Switch release.

Aha, I'm pretty negative on those two too :(

I suppose they're great for the folks who didn't own a Wii U, but as someone who has one and is pretty disappointed with it, it just feels like padding? Like, it'll look great for Nintendo's release schedule when they can say they have ~9 first-party titles coming out in the first twelve months... But if I've already played at least 4 of them? Then to me it's the Wii U launch all over again.

This isn't coming out at launch so I don't know why a lot of posts are of people canceling X wanting to return the game

It'll be pushed with Zelda as the big holiday games for next year
Pokemon X Zelda vs the world
Which means Zelda gets delayed to holiday 2017 👀😩

Neoxon

Bamboo 竹;224886471 said:
People talking about how "predictable" is this leak are talking without knowing the fact that Game Freak is known for taking its time to jump into a new generation and if that trend would continue probably the third version would be for the 3DS.

Less production costs and a safer install base is really tempting so changing this trend is a risky move for them. I wonder if Nintendo money hated them.

Also, first main Pokémon game on a home console after 20 years.

This isnt by any aspect a predictable move, guys.
Either the bolded part or TPC/GF realized that the Switch has to be a hit early on or they'll suffer in the long-run.

Eclipse is a better name
It's a code name. I technically did play on a Nintendo Dolphin in 2002, a Nintendo Revolution in 2006 and I didn't play Space travel* on Wii U about 12 months ago but they were not called that despite that being thier code names.

*-When the voice cast was doing auditions for Xenobalde X it was given a code name along those lines.

Zedark

Isn't the Switch like 1000x more powerful than a 3DS. I expect a ton of upgrades with this version. At the very least a stable frame rate and 900p resolution at the least.

True, conservative guesses will place it at roughly 25-50 times as powerful. The article by Eurogamer also mentions that the Switch game will have "separate, higher-resolution assets". Hopefully this will be a visually striking pokémon game, that would be amazing!

Evenflow

As someone who isn't a Pokémon fan,this is the best news ever. It confirms we will get to play the next Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter, top down zelda etc etc on the TV. The Switch is coming together brilliantly.

WELP

This is what I told my friend yesterday would happen, and that if it did, my purchase would be locked, because I didn't want to get a 3DS and buy a Switch next year as well.

Now my purchase is locked. This will be my first Nintendo console

Dekuboy

Neo Member
I really hope so, so I don´t need a n3DS and can play on my switch.

I don´t even care if its a port or a 3rd version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom