• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum

Just make it the "NEX." Nintendo Entertainment Xperience. It's XTREME and nostalgic.

Just kidding. Don't do that.

NX itself would work really well. Long name could be the Nintendo Cross, or just the Nintendo X. I don't know.

womp

So my Shield TV flavored with Nintendo? Fine with me. One of the most under looked devices on the market today, and capable of 4k output to boot. Certainly no slouch either.

Bring it on.

Griss

If we look at this generations Zelda output we have:
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
Hyrule Warriors
Hyrule Warriors Legends
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Now imagine what the series would be like if there were only one system. Some of these games probably wouldn't exist, others may have taken their place but regardless that would be a hell of a lot of Zelda games for one system, Eiji Aonuma may have gone on to make that new IP he was talking about. We're talking about a system where Mario Kart 7 and 8 would just be one title. This is very exciting and gives older IPs more of a chance to return.

Exactly. This gives Mario and Zelda some room to breathe and frees up teams to do something new, even if that something new is a dormant IP.

No longer will there be teams moving straight from a portable game in a series to a console game in that series.

And seriously, give Zelda a rest after botw.

Why is everyone so obsessed about how much power this thing has? This is Nintendo were talking about here. They could still be making amazing games for the wii if they had to. They know what they're doing. This race to push more polygons is really taking its tole on AAA studios. These stupidly hi-res games are ludicrously expensive to make. You dont need 8K triple quad buffered 124X MSAA graphixx to make a good game. Yes games should look nice, but to a point. Its part handheld, 720P is more than enough. Nintendo has the right idea, gameplay first.
original.jpg

ZOONAMI

No chance in hell of it getting Geforce Now. Gamestream from your own PC is possible (but highly unlikely), be Geforce Now? Not a chance in hell.

Why not?

Also the dev kits wouldn't be actively cooling the x1s if they were just gonna gimp it. That actually suggests they are targeting a more powerful nvidia mobile chipset for the final release.

boiled goose

good with gravy
As long as they transition to a fully integrated hardware agnostic single Nintendo account that tracks all your purchases, i can deal with no BC.

Bc then becomes irrelevant. Certain gens gaps but you stil keep all your digital content from hardware to hardware.

Nintendo likes portable. Nintendo likes family play and playing with your friends. Above all, Nintendo wants it's play to be social.

What if...the supplemental computing device is a multi-dock of some kind. In other words, you take your NX over to your friends house, plug it in to one of say four slots, and the computing power is additive. I don't know how they'd handle scaling of games with that compute range, but I like rumors as much as the next guy.

It would also answer the rumor as the wildly variable range of power - barely above a WiiU to PS4 type.

Verder

i wonder if its going to have a hdmi out or some special dock that can connect to TV to run as if its a console?

either way im excited.

portable breath of wild? FUCK YES

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The only thing I found that can give us any clue about how 1 single Parker chip can have in power is that:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9903/nvidia-announces-drive-px-2-pascal-power-for-selfdriving-cars

With that number, 1 Parker = 4 TF chip, right?

Did you even look at how big the board is for that even cut in half let alone the fact that we are talking about something that'll half to be passively cooled in a handheld?

I mean really do you people even think about this?

Lets compare an Android Auto board to what needs to be in the NX handheld.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
So I wake up this morning to this, been working and doing chores mostly just can't ignore now...........

First malo gets some credit for being accurate. With that being said no I'm not backing down on cpu comments as I was talking about power performance not what chipset it's using. What should be mentioned is that the nvidia rumor in may were far more accurate than what we are hearing about amd's supposed involvement. AMD rumors are not mine and have never been mine, I'm still skeptical and even more skeptical about sku considering it seems to be a mishmash of exotic parts which I called out in private messages to two other gaffers.

I'm still waiting for some to explain the porting rumors cause while it's clear to me some of the tech in the device is no slouch its paper specs can't make a full claim it's better than X1, performance is another matter depending on what nintendo is actually using. Seems nintendo is vastly upgrading their networking tech and I won't name certain gaffer names but whoever was talking about the streaming tech being a big feature they are more accurate than anyone else I've seen in general talking about this system. Powerwise until nintendo puts a damn retail unit out and we can examine I don't care to talk about it that much except to say it will be definitely not be a power monster and far more efficient/feature rich console, which even for nintendo is a stepup for WiiU.

If people want to step on me just go back to certain threads most was hypothetical talk I never moved off my own goal posts or my own actual ideas I just commented on the clear crap that has yet to pan out. For one side of the debate, you may want to investigate if nintendo is doing multiple skus at this point it's either that or they literally just decided what they are going with, which is a danger I warned about.. Emily has been semi accurate on some parts and dead wrong on others, but I do wish to know what the port talk was about if the performance isn't gonna be there. Cause that alone is just straight talking out the ass as we still don't know what devs and what games those comments were being based on.
CPU wise it's almost granted - a cluster of A57 @2GHz would mostly beat a cluster of Jaguars @ 1.75 and two more Jags in a separate cluster (and a buggy coherency protocol inbetween - that one really freaked out some devs in the early days).

GPU wise - it suffices to scale down the output to 540p and the Maxwell in the TX1 would be more than a match to the GNC 1.1 in the xbone. Of course, pixel-per-pixel TX1 would not match xbone. If we're speaking vanilla TX1, which is surely isn't the case, but since we don't know what the case it, we can only mhm.

I'm pretty sure the PSP Go was built around not playing on a TV, despite being able to.

A hybrid would be built with both options in mind in that regard.

Indeed, also the PSP 2000, 3000 and Go didn't need a dock, everything was handled by the system with component out. HDMI out would suffice for NX if it was strictly a handheld that plugs into a TV, the dock must do something to add a console experience.

Why are they using cartridges???? I can't understand this and not discs

Because it's the better option for them. You can't put a disc drive on a device that's mobile.

Flash storage is cheap enough. 32 GB is more than enough storage and have higher data speeds vs disc.

Stop thinking of a cartridge like the n64. Think of a cartridge like the 3DS uses. Small, SD Card like storage.

Don't see the problem, 32GB would readily hold most current-gen games. Would likely have faster read speeds than a Blu-Ray drive too.

You can buy a 32GB microSD off Amazon that runs circles around the PS4 BD drive's read speeds for like ten bucks, and surely Nintendo would get them for less.

Most big games are over 32GB and that is not counting DLC that games come with now.
Plus disc are just the distribation method for games now , nothing plays off disc anymore.

tskeeve

I am very, very excited for this. I've become a big fan of handheld gaming with the Vita, and that'd be great to have a handheld with a full-fledged console library -- not just a console-like library. IMO they made a bold, smart move by making it the same hardware for mobile/console.

As long as the docked handheld can output first-party Nintendo games at 1080p with greater-than-Wii U performance, there's no reason for a more powerful traditional console to exist. Assuming a halfway reasonable price point for the former, anyway.

Zophar

I mean, I can understand a lack of BC being a disappointment, but to almost completely write off an entire console because of it seems weird.

Nintendo has done very little over the last 10 years to convince me to buy their hardware anyway, frankly. We'll see what the library looks like and what it actually offers, but so far I've seen very little to convince me to jump back in either way. No BC just makes it an even easier decision.

Griss

This news in no way confirms that there is not an upcoming dedicated home console from Nintendo. This "news" is also just a rumor, and all the rumor is telling us is that you can use the NX handheld with your TV and the dev kits are running on tegra x1 chips.

What possible use could there be in competing with their own device? If they were going to do this the NX portable wouldn't hook up to the TV. The Wii u only sold 12m and it didn't have to compete with a super powered 3ds also playing games on the TV. If it had, it would have sold nothing.

Guess Who

Banned
Looking at the install sizes of most of my PS4 games, I don't think that's the case.

There are definitely quite a few games (especially AAA games) that are larger, but Nintendo typically makes different-size cartridges for their systems. Wouldn't be surprised to see both 32GB and 48/64GB carts.

It better be faster as there is likely no hard drive to back it up. Also, you cannot compress the game to heck and back and unpack it when installing it if you only have a cartridge and no mass storage to unpack it into beyond RAM.

There will likely not be a hard drive, but there will certainly be either some kind of system storage or microSD support (or both).

The bit about 'recommending' 32gb is odd.. Implies there could be a costly size above that, but I doubt most first party games will even arrive on 32gb.

You can commercially buy a 64gig microsd card for 40 dollars.

Most WiiU games don't break 10 gigs.

This is super easy.

Assuming the 32gig thing in the OP is not concrete, cartridges seem like a good option then. I don't really have to deal with disc scratches anymore, but it'd still be nice to not worry about the media being on a delicate format.

Bioshocker

All this feels pretty expected, to be honest. Maybe except the cartridges (if they're SD cards, OK fine).

Assuming that all of this i correct, I understand why Nintendo are doing it. It's wise to focus all their resources on one single platform. But I still wonder who their customers are supposed to be. NX won't compete directly with Xbox or PlayStation, but I guess it could be quite successful as a handheld device if it's max €250. Nintendo will still need third party support to make that happen, though.

CrisKre

First tought: I need to see it.

Second thought: This could be a pretty elegant solution to Nintendo´s main problem: output and 3rd party support. This thing will have insane first party output: Pokemon will be playable at home, we will get Fire Emblem and other handheld focused games also playable on a big screen and Nintendo´s main franchises will all come out on a timely manner and it may give Nintendo some breathing room to come out with new IPs and ways to time their releases more wisely. Also, handheld 3rd party output may be significant, especially from Japanese developers.

Interesting times. Bring it on.

Alexlf

A rumor passed around news sites a year or so ago that Nintendo was shooting for a mid-range system (less powerful than the other two) that could hit the impulse buy price range of $199-$249. Don't be shocked at all if this is true.

I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but NVidia was probably selling those very close to cost, if not at a loss to expand their ecosystem. Nintendo will certainly not. Not to mention the NX would likely have better specs.

catbrush

I'm not too worried about this handheld being underpowered. There's nothing keeping Nintendo from releasing a new Scorpio-beating device in 2018. Since they're moving to a united architecture, all games should be backward/forward compatible within the ecosystem to an extent.

ZOONAMI

Indeed, also the PSP 2000, 3000 and Go didn't need a dock, everything was handled by the system with component out. HDMI out would suffice for NX if it was strictly a handheld that plugs into a TV, the dock must do something to add a console experience.

Or, a dock is nice so you don't need a really long hdmi cord running to your couch? Which also explains the detachable controllers? We know literally nothing about the dock from the euro gamer article.

psyfi

Banned
Yeah, a lot of our speculation today is useless without knowing what the dock is about.

Griss

Now that game freak have all this power they're really going to have to step their game up. Can't wait to see what the mainline Pokémon game on the nx will look like.

A handheld device using carts isn't surprising at all. Sony made the only handheld in history to have used discs, and in their later attempts they

A) ditched physical media entirely

and

B) used cards

I hope the virtual console comes back in some way, despite no BC.

I'm almost positive the Wii U virtual console isn't going anywhere, adding Turbografx months before their next system comes out is such a strange move. MyNintendo also keeps track of your purchases, I'm pretty much certain all your Wii U (and maybe 3DS) Virtual Console games will be playable on NX.

kennyamr

Everyone has stated their opinions already and I share many of them.
So I won't repeat other's points of view here.
I will just say that I am disappointed.
Mobile is fine but it's not my thing, this is disappointing in so many levels.
I will still play the new Zelda but I really was hoping for more.
Oh well.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Whoa. Nothing like coming back to a 100 page megathread

Love it. Zelda and Pikmin on the go, Pokemon home, man oh man oh man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom