• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefro

No chance in hell of it getting Geforce Now. Gamestream from your own PC is possible (but highly unlikely), be Geforce Now? Not a chance in hell.

GeForce Now sounds like a "Nintendo-like solution" to the lack of third party support to me. It may be branded differently, but I would bet on it happening if NX really has a Tegra chip powering it.

That'd be a reason for Nvidia to give Nintendo a crazy deal on the hardware.

I'm sorry to burst some bubbles, but I want to remind you all that Wii U, PS4, and Xbone all had much more powerful devkits than the final version. It's possible that the same is happening here and that they final chip will be a cut-down TX1 with only one SMM.

Ding ding ding.

Ryuuga

Banned
I'm curious what this will be priced at considering it'll be a relic by the time of it's release. If this thing ends up tanking harder than the Wii U they could always opt to selling mini versions of their other consoles to the faithful anyway.

If we look at this generations Zelda output we have:
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
Hyrule Warriors
Hyrule Warriors Legends
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Now imagine what the series would be like if there were only one system. Some of these games probably wouldn't exist, others may have taken their place but regardless that would be a hell of a lot of Zelda games for one system, Eiji Aonuma may have gone on to make that new IP he was talking about. We're talking about a system where Mario Kart 7 and 8 would just be one title. This is very exciting and gives older IPs more of a chance to return.

Guess Who

Banned
Nintendo's recommending 32gb cartridges?

clint_ew.gif

Don't see the problem, 32GB would readily hold most current-gen games. Would likely have faster read speeds than a Blu-Ray drive too.

You can buy a 32GB microSD off Amazon that runs circles around the PS4 BD drive's read speeds for like ten bucks, and surely Nintendo would get them for less.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
"Due to the radical change in hardware design and internal technology, we've been told by one source that there are no plans for backwards compatibility"

Hopefully it is fast enough to emulate VC titles better and N64 as well as Wii titles, but athough there were not as many classics I was really looking forward not to have many devices plugged in my TV. I do not think I do have free HDMI ports actually :/...

javadoze

I'm loving this news, seeing how I mostly love portable gaming.

Though I'm more curious to see the cost/form-factor of this thing come September.

psyfi

Banned
Yeah I'm honestly shocked more people aren't interpreting it as such.

Nintendo is basically declining to continue their home console business. It's almost as big as when Sega exited hardware.
There's still so much we don't know, though. The dock could make this more relevant to the living room than we think, or this could be just one form the NX takes, with a second, more TV-centric machine being planned.

But yeah, if you're right, then damn. This is huge.

Soooo we heard rumors from almost everyone about how this thing was between and Xbox 1 and PS4... Is that the docking station acting as like a supplement to the handheld?

Don't see the problem, 32GB would readily hold most current-gen games. Would likely have faster read speeds than a Blu-Ray drive too.

You can buy a 32GB microSD off Amazon that runs circles around the PS4 BD drive's read speeds for like ten bucks, and surely Nintendo would get them for less.

Looking at the install sizes of most of my PS4 games, I don't think that's the case.

BDGAME

To my understanding X1 is about 1.0 tflops in FP16 but tflops are usually counted on FP32 where it's half of the FP16. Again I may be wrong so feel to free correct me.

Okay so no X2 which is called Parker instead. I haven't found any reliable info how powerful it will be. Could you link your source?

And you're right, custom X1 chip is very possible. But it still feels a bit underwhelming tbh.

The only thing I found that can give us any clue about how 1 single Parker chip can have in power is that:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9903/nvidia-announces-drive-px-2-pascal-power-for-selfdriving-cars

With that number, 1 Parker = 4 TF chip, right?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

It better be faster as there is likely no hard drive to back it up. Also, you cannot compress the game to heck and back and unpack it when installing it if you only have a cartridge and no mass storage to unpack it into beyond RAM.

Spacejaws

But what are the controls gonna be like...hooefully nothing like that picturec( 2 analogue stick, d pad and 4 face buttons) if so alot of the control may be on the screen itself in which case im out.

Hakai

I'm sorry to burst some bubbles, but I want to remind you all that Wii U, PS4, and Xbone all had much more powerful devkits than the final version. It's possible that the same is happening here and that they final chip will be a cut-down TX1 with only one SMM.

Oh oh

ZOONAMI

Why? It still plugs into a TV.

This news in no way confirms that there is not an upcoming dedicated home console from Nintendo. This "news" is also just a rumor, and all the rumor is telling us is that you can use the NX handheld with your TV and the dev kits are running on tegra x1 chips.

Cartridges are good for a handhled .
It's the home console part that going to get screw over by them .
Disc cost cents , size is good and they are easy to get .

Sounds great if this is actually a hybrid, hopefully there will be less software droughts, though a more powerful device will make development times longer.

21XX

Banned
Just make it the "NEX." Nintendo Entertainment Xperience. It's XTREME and nostalgic.

Just kidding. Don't do that.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
The issue with that is that if the aluminium back is the main conduit of heat from the SoC to the heatsink/fan, then it's going to be pretty damn hot after the device has been used in docked mode. If Nintendo went with active cooling in docked mode, they'd need a solution where the device can be easily picked up immediately after use without being uncomfortably hot to the touch.

Here's a silly idea, feel free to shoot it down. What if it actually uses cartridges, not sd cards, but cartridges that have physical access to the motherboard like in the old days. Could you design a board in such a way that blowing or sucking air through this passage with an external fan would keep the device sufficiently cool when docked?

This news in no way confirms that there is not an upcoming dedicated home console from Nintendo. This "news" is also just a rumor, and all the rumor is telling us is that you can use the NX handheld with your TV and the dev kits are running on tegra x1 chips.

If this leak is true, I'd say it pretty much confirms no future dedicated home device. What would be the point? NX is doing everything a home console from Nintendo needs to do....and it's a portable to boot.

A powerful home box isn't bringing third parties back any more than something like this would, as you'd never get the GTAs, the Fallouts, or The Witchers on that device either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom