• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

shandy706

I was close...

..The NX will be a single package handheld docking system with a pro style controller.

Handheld on Docking Console
s-l1000.jpg

Included Pro Controller (turns out it may be detachable)
wii-u-pro-controller-black-big-210503.jpg

The raw materials of the PlayStation Vita were calculated at $160 in 2012. We should be able to get twice the power minimum at that cost now in the handheld unit.

The handheld would contain the CPU, GPU and 128GB Flash Drive for transferring games to and from the dock HDD.

orioto

Good Art™
Many people in the U.S. market want a device that receives multiplatform games so they don't feel forced to buy multiple consoles.

Millions of people played multi title at lower rez on XBO right ? A handled that is half XBO at 540p and around XBO on a tv would basically do the same. So the power wouldn't be an excuse to not port those games.

I would personally argue that Nintendo could find a dynamic if they offer something that lets devs downgrade realllly easily, withuot the need of a real budget, their AAA games to the portable, cause that would be a new market.

If Ubi could sell their Assassins Creed to kids via a portable, without having to spend too much money, no reason they wouldn't do.

But that's wishful thinking here.

It's exciting for Nintendo, I guess, since they're so far behind the curve, but not in terms of the industry. The Tegra X1 is going to be nearly two years old by the time the NX ships.

Not only for Nintendo no, as no other portable device will offer gaming of that quality. Techncially you could have GTAV on this, with a pretty good graphical quality. That would be unique. I'm not saying it will happen, for reasons, but the device could do that if it's what we hear.

fernoca

Yeah...

Expect a lot of WiiU ports bro sorry

Maybe they will let people who bought it digitally to own it on the new system and have codes for physical buyers?

Probably not though
Why would they offer codes to physical buyers? Not even the others did that despite been "#4thegamers". :p

At most, either some small select games could be made compatible (ala Xbox One) or give a discount in case of a re-release to digital owners. But that's reaching.

Eradicate

I actually am wondering about this as well...

They might skirt the whole "buttons/D-Pad, etc." problem with a clickable stick/slider button in a touchscreen and just have touch buttons. I don't think they will, but they could solve that problem?

This was a Nikkei rumor, IIRC? Samsung was making donut-screens, Nikkei reported Nintendo wanted to use them for a handheld.

Already replied to, but yeah, it was Sharp about two or three years ago brought it up and seemed to say that it was meant for their portables. No idea what ever happened with any of that in the end though! But, the inklings out there are that Sharp is still involved with this thing somehow.

I want my donut-screen!

emag

Parker ships sound insane

a 4 TFlop mobile processor?

The Parker boards being produced have a 250W draw (with 2 processing units, no display). The full-size iPad Pro has a max TDP of 5W (not counting display). There's no way the NX has anything like the full version of Parker, regardless of downclocking.

There's got to be a custom Tegra X1 (16nm, other improvements) or X2 (not Parker) in there.

thefro

I'm curious to see if they plan to push the third party onus onto iOS and android game developers. If the system is using a modified android kernel it would make sense, especially with the hybrid approach and the new mobile push from the company. It would be interesting for Nintendo to pursue a different type of third party support than their competition. Whether it will work or not will likely be cause for some disagreements.

Here's what you're looking at:
- Nintendo's 1st party support for 3DS
- Nintendo's 1st party support for Wii U
- Nintendo's 3rd party Japanese support for 3DS
- Some 3rd party Vita games that are now homeless
- Wii U's 3rd party support (Just Dance, Lego, etc)
- Whatever other publishers want to hop on board
- Indie games
- Virtual Console
- Maybe Android apps/games?
- GeForce Now game streaming

That's potentially the best software lineup of any of the systems.

So in effect its meant to have the power of a Wii U (or more) but in a fully portable device?

While it'd be a shame not to see Nintendo visuals with current console/PC hardware, I can still see plenty of appeal in that. Part of why the Wii U gamepad was so neat to use was that you could play games above and beyond what one might normally expect of 'mobile' or handheld titles, while having the screen all to yourself. A dedicated gaming tablet from one of the world's most prolific game developers? Market that right, and that will sell.

Ion Guru

I skipped both the Wii U and 3DS, so I'm 95% sure I'm going to jump on this release. The new Zelda looks incredible and I've missed out on a lot of 3DS games simply because I don't have a huge desire to play handhelds unless I'm traveling. Combining the flagship systems is very intriguing and I'm super excited to see what they have in store.

Hip Hop

There will still be a separate dedicated home console. If this rumor is even real this is only the handheld.

Nintendo completely exiting the home console business (outside of tv connectivity for a handheld system), makes very little sense given the success of the ps4 and the slow 3ds sales versus the ds. The failure of the wii u would not deter them from seeking another huge home console success. They haven't forgotten about the wii selling well over 100 million units, and the ps4 basically already at 50 millions units should make it clear that in the West at least they would be foolish to completely abandon the home console space. If they can sell even 30 million next-gen home consoles it would be well worth it to them as a platform holder, and if they aren't even going to make an attempt, they have lost faith in themselves to make a compelling home console entertainment system, and I find that hard to believe.
I don't know man, the detachable controllers give it away to me that there won't be anything else after this.

But who knows

Why would they offer codes to physical buyers? Not even the others did that despite been "#4thegamers". :p

At most, either some small select games could be made compatible (ala Xbox One) or give a discount in case of a re-release to digital owners. But that's reaching.

Its all reaching based on Nintendo precedent

They gonna make us rebuy all that shit son

We may get lucky on digital shit and thats it

psyfi

Banned
There will still be a separate dedicated home console. If this rumor is even real this is only the handheld.

Nintendo completely exiting the home console business (outside of tv connectivity for a handheld system), makes very little sense given the success of the ps4 and the slow 3ds sales versus the ds. The failure of the wii u would not deter them from seeking another huge home console success. They haven't forgotten about the wii selling well over 100 million units, and the ps4 basically already at 50 millions units should make it clear that in the West at least they would be foolish to completely abandon the home console space. If they can sell even 30 million next-gen home consoles it would be well worth it to them as a platform holder, and if they aren't even going to make an attempt, they have lost faith in themselves to make a compelling home console entertainment system, and I find that hard to believe.
I agree. Nintendo has no reason to "give up" the living room. If anything, they'll try to redefine our ideas about what a console can be, and that could very well be by making it more portable. But the NX falls short of really doing that. As far as we can tell from today's info, it's just a handheld that can connect to TVs. So, I think (1.) there's some info we're missing here (like the function of the dock), or (2.) Nintendo will release a more living room centric NX in a few years.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I agree with you because there are games that are released for both Vita and PS4. I think many of the 3rd party games will be from Japanese developers.

Exactly! This just means that the system will be in between a Vita and a PS4(yeah i know huge gap) and devs only need to focus on a single platform.

Current LPDDR4 chips are of the 1600mhz variant in the Pixel C and Shield. That being said LPDDR4 can go up to 3200mhz.

Also you sure you don't mean 80 GB/s in GDDR5? LoL

Your probably looking at between 25-30. Galaxy S6 is at 24.8 while the Pixel C/Shield is 25.6 GB/s. The GS6 clocked at 1555mhz. The shield bumped the clock speed up a hair. Meanwhile the GS7 snap 820 variant uses 1866mhz variety. So the clock speed has been going up. Which puts the GS7 closer to 30 GB/s.

No....but, wait. Weren't XB1 base DDR3 speeds like 68/GBs or something like that? That's pretty close to 80gbs, i was just kinda rounding up...but your saying the bandwidth would only get to around 360 or PS3 level with this thing?

Having full fledged Nintendo AAA games being portable is worth whatever the premium price Nintendo is going for here. I also imagine Nintendo will still make smaller games to fill out their release schedule, and the value of having those typically portable games being played on your home TV is also worth it. Sure it will turn some people off, but the core Nintendo gamer should be very pleased.

CrazyHorse

This thing will flop worse than Wii U. That is because the PS4/Xbone crowd wont want it and the casual mobile players wont want it. It has no audience.

This is PS Vita MK2

It's not that, it's the nature of mobile games. They're fun, but they don't last very long in the spotlight.
It's not even comparable to other mobile games; it's become ingrained like a social media platform. It's not going to keep it up forever, but it will still be going strong in March.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Maybe it is, but everyone know the nx rumor started with hybrid.

Smartphone tablet are already doing that without docking/base station, so why we need that?

Also Nintendo is afraid they would be copied if they released the idea already.

What do they mean by that? ps4 -> psvita can share games using wifi.

I wonder if there is more to the story. Some sort of aspects that this news leak either doesn't cover or sources didn't know about.

If so, my guess is the box that connects to the TV has more power to increase graphical fidelity. Possible, but not probable.

I wonder what the price point will be. Maybe they'll offer two models at launch. The basic model and the elite model that has more storage and battery life.

Neo and Scorpio will be coming out around the same time probably. I could see it doing well if it's $300 or less. By that point the base model PS4 and xbox one will probably be priced the same as well.

Sorcerer

I think the consolidation is the strength here. If they can just focus on great games for just one system, it will do wonders for Nintendo. Personally I am excited that I don't have to worry about buying 2 separate systems to enjoy all of their games, but that is just me personally.

Hope it runs Android, Nintendo needs to GTFO trying to write their own operating systems, they are terrible at it.

Can't say I am terribly enthused by the rumors so far, I'll probably buy one but it'll be like my 3DS - used maybe a few times a year, just to play those exclusives.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Hm, I wonder if the controller bits being detachable is partially so they can be replaced if they flake out over time, without having to replace your entire damn system.

Proelite

I would not necessarily assume it boosts.

There's been nothing so far to indicate that.

Once we find out what kind of link the portable have with the dock, we'll know for sure.

If it's PCI-E link then docs with extra ram and gpu power is guaranteed to be future releases.

If it's some slow ass pipe then dream is dead.

Randomizer

Because it revs to home console levels when used in a stationary form, attached to a tv.
Sort of like how a laptop enters low power mode when running on battery? It makes sense but there was no mention of this is in the leak just speculation from Digital Foundry and GAF. Also there's the possibility of a supplementary hub for added oomph.

ZOONAMI

What would be the point of making a device that can be played on a TV, if they will make another console specifically for TV's? If this leak is actually true, than this IS the home console and a handheld console.

A stop gap solution in the home console space because the wii u is dead until they release their next home console, and because it's a nice feature? Why wouldn't you want to be able to plug your handheld into your TV? I don't think it canabalizes sales of a home console as they would be different experiences, and the dock very well might be an optional accessory, which is just more hardware for Nintendo to sell at profit.

Vertti

There isn't a X2 chip announced. The next chip they are making is called Parker. It is a 4 TFlops chip at the minimum.

The X1 chip can run at 1 Tplop and they say the chip in NX Devkit is overclocked.

Maybe NX don't use a Parker, but a exclusive version of X1 that can run above the 1 Tplop found in the market, what will make the NX a portable Xbox one.

To my understanding X1 is about 1.0 tflops in FP16 but tflops are usually counted on FP32 where it's half of the FP16. Again I may be wrong so feel to free correct me.

Okay so no X2 which is called Parker instead. I haven't found any reliable info how powerful it will be. Could you link your source?

And you're right, custom X1 chip is very possible. But it still feels a bit underwhelming tbh.

MuchoMalo

Banned
- Indie games
- Virtual Console

No chance in hell of it getting Geforce Now. Gamestream from your own PC is possible (but highly unlikely), be Geforce Now? Not a chance in hell.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
People: The "Wii" name is dead. They'll be distancing themselves far, far away from this name.

My guess is they'll return to the simple "Nintendo Entertainment System."

Turnbl

playing Breath of the Wild tucked into bed, but these are the sacrifices we make.

And this is the real system seller. All home and handheld Nintendo games under a duvet.

Plus my bed is 20 yards from a Pokestop. This lack of activity won't end well.

so practically goodbye local multiplayer gaming.

Ha, it's actually an expansion on local multiplayer. Now you can play a multiplayer HH game w/ just one system! And when docked in TV mode, you don't think that games will support at least 4 players?! The controllers obviously transmit data via bluetooth or something.

Aters

This thing will flop worse than Wii U. That is because the PS4/Xbone crowd wont want it and the casual mobile players wont want it. It has no audience.

This is PS Vita MK2

It will have the library of 3DS and WiiU combined so I expect it will sell a little bit lower than those two combined, which is not bad at all.

Eradicate

Another solution is this:

Nintendo patent application shows portable system with interchangable controls

Nintendo news freaks everybody out everytime.

AAAAHKMAKSMDFAKSM!!!

- Indie games
- Virtual Console

It sure looks very impressive when you list it all out like that!

psyfi

Banned
What if this thing doesn't have analog sticks, but something more akin to trackballs or the Steam Controller trackpad things?

Those could be more conducive to portability.

Zophar

Really not a fan of dropping BC. I was holding off on picking up a Wii U because I was certain whatever successor it had would be BC but now Nintendo is looking at missing two sales from me :/

Thraktor

Perhaps an aluminum back to the main unit, with the controllers on either side being plastic? We can still dream, right?

The issue with that is that if the aluminium back is the main conduit of heat from the SoC to the heatsink/fan, then it's going to be pretty damn hot after the device has been used in docked mode. If Nintendo went with active cooling in docked mode, they'd need a solution where the device can be easily picked up immediately after use without being uncomfortably hot to the touch.

TH-Work

Banned
Feel this has to be in bold as too many people are just ignoring it. This rumour says the X1 GPU used in NX handheld is actively cooled. The stock X1 isn't actively cooled therefore this is not a stock X1 GPU, its faster or wouldn't require active cooling"

Maybe it's the Tegra X2? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom