• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

I also found this on Twitter.

4ClDd8b.png

Magwik

Banned
I get the feeling that Nintendo was mainly worried of Apple/Sony using the concept. Sony tried a similar approach but failed horribly with the Vita/TV. Apple TV is still struggling as a games machine. Those are the two they have to look out for the most.

tr1p1ex

this can't just be a 3DS with detachable controllers and an HDMI out. or a WiiU controller with detachable sides. you don't need a dock for either of those.

it's gotta be something like a smaller / thinner WiiU controller that mounts on a dock. the main processing power has to be in the mobile unit, and i don't know if i buy the controllers connect to the mobile unit itself, rather than just the dock.

They might be going with a bigger handheld. MOre tablet sized...given how ubiquitous smartphones are.

Maybe they'll let smartphones be the really super portable devices and this thing will be more backpack/car/room portable.

If this is genuinly supposed to replace both the 3ds and the wiiu then my biggest fear is having to pay a console price twice for games like pokemon and monster hunter for family multiplayer.

Well Nintendo have been experimenting with prices, especially on the Wii U. Captain Toad for example retailed at £25, a lot of their recent output like Splatoon, Xenoblade and Star Fox at £29. Whereas premium titles like Super Mario 3D World retailed at £39.99.

Whether that was out of necessity to try and sell consoles or a genuine look at pricing in regard to future plans is debatable but i think a lot of their output of late as been researching for the NX console, be the type of experiences - Captain toad, Prices, The scaleability of games - Smash, Console experiences on handheld - Xenoblade.

oakenhild

This is basically the perfect console for me.

Gaming wherever I want, but I can plug it in and play with the kids on the TV as well.

Not having to buy the same games twice (it better have local multiplayer like a traditional console).

I have very little interest in games ported from ps4/xbox one, but that would probably help sales. I can already get most of those games on the PC for cheap.

How much more powerful is this theoretically compared to a Vita? I always think of the Vita as like a "PlayStation 2.5" from a power perspective.

I just love the idea of powerful dedicated handheld hardware. FITS right into my life.

Kyzer

Banned
They've already made HD Monster Hunter games. They do not look like Dragon's Dogma, but they are definitely HD.

It's more accurate to say that people want AAA Monster Hunter.

Which HD Monster Hunter game did they develop?

Fuck man, if speculation threads and hardware transitions aren't the time for us to dream, when can we?

:(

Maybe im wrong to be fair i felt similarly about game freak making the 3d transition. Felt like something that would never cpme until it was forced. Who knows maybe next gen is finally time...maybe theyve been working on it this whole time?!!

The_Lump

Banned
ITT: Overreactions based on far too little information*

*myself included. Will now wait and see rather than guessing what it might/might not do/be.

Rodin

Just fyi, 720p would be 209.8 ppi on a 7" screen (less than the Vita), 244.77 ppi on 6" and 293.72 ppi on 5" (both better than the Sony device).

If this is genuinly supposed to replace both the 3ds and the wiiu then my biggest fear is having to pay a console price twice for games like pokemon and monster hunter for family multiplayer.

I don't think it's a replacement of the two current consoles. At least, that's not what Iwata and Kimishima said. Either way, you won't have to pay twice, the console is "one" that works in "two" ways.

How much more powerful is this theoretically compared to a Vita? I always think of the Vita as like a "PlayStation 2.5" from a power perspective.

I just love the idea of powerful dedicated handheld hardware. FITS right into my life.

Around 20x, possibly more

Fantastical

Death Prophet
The worst part about this thread is all the examples of horrible Android devices, and grips, and stupid tablets from China, adorned with lime green accents tribal tattoos and crap. Ugh.

I'm really allergic to that "PC gear" look.
To be fair 3DS and Wii U look like fugly, cheap toys for children.

AirBrian

From the software side, the larger impact/news is we shouldn't have the droughts of games like we've had on the Wii U/Wii/GCN (and occasionally on the 3DS). Nintendo's development teams focusing on one platform basically takes place of any western 3rd party support concerns. And quite honestly, Nintendo's consoles haven't had significant western 3rd party support for like 15+ years now anyway. The Japanese 3rd party support will be there from day one.

My biggest concern is how will it handle those who want to take the NX on the go, but still have others in the house who want to play at home?

Ridley327

But they all used up-ressed assets from older MH games.

Which is why I said people want a AAA Monster Hunter instead. HD is just a resolution.

Of course, we don't need to imagine what happens when they either create new assets from scratch or overhaul all of them, since we have vanilla MH3 to show that even at SD resolutions, it's very difficult to do all that and get a large enough roster of monsters to keep people coming back without having to go the MHFO route of throwing random shit on a base Rathalos model and calling it a day.

Expected, but awesome to get (some) confirmation.
Mostly excited that Nintendo can focus on a single platform now, which should ensure more variety and hopeful this could be the prime platform for Japanese games.

Just fyi, 720p would be 209.8 ppi on a 7" screen (less than the Vita), 244.77 ppi on 6" and 293.72 ppi on 5" (both better than the Sony device).

I don't think it's a replacement of the two current consoles. At least, that's not what Iwata and Kimishima said. Either way, you won't have to pay twice, the console is "one" that works in "two" ways.

I don't see how Nintendo could release the NX and another handheld that ran different software. This seems, to me, that they are combining g the two into one platform.

inner-G

Banned
Nintendo: We made this cool thing with the built-in screen and doohickeys!

The market: We just want a box that plays stuff.

This sounds scarily Wii U-ish to me

I wonder if the OS is an Android fork. It'll be common sense to run some popular Android apps.

It sounds like Nintendo is trying to do what Nvidia tried with their shield devices but leveraging the Nintendo brand. If it wasn't Nintendo who is notoriously closed in their approach is say this would be an amazing thing for mobile gaming. But as it stands it'll likely be more of a proof of concept for what's capable with mobile.

Kyzer

Banned
Which is why I said people want a AAA Monster Hunter instead. HD is just a resolution.

Developing a game in HD is different than uprezzing. HD is more than just a resolution youre choosing to be semantic lol you know what we mean. You wouldn't try to argue ffViI is already an HD game right?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
If Nintendo gets all this right it could be huge.

Price needs to be sub $299 and should include a game

It needs 128GB of flash as a MINIMUM. You can get 128GB for less than $40 so Nintendo could get it for a fraction of that

The dock should also support streaming via WiiU tech and have USB for external storage support.

I also think the same will be something that taps into Nintendo's roots. Super Nintendo (something) or words to that effect.

I get the feeling that Nintendo was mainly worried of Apple/Sony using the concept. Sony tried a similar approach but failed horribly with the Vita/TV. Apple TV is still struggling as a games machine. Those are the two they have to look out for the most.

They should still be worried about Sony.

Sony understands what's happening in Japan, and while the PS4 is selling well now, they'll eventually have to come up with an answer to the changing climate there. If NX is a hit, Sony will pull a full rip & run there at the end of the PS4/Neo cycle.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Nintendo: We made this cool thing with the built-in screen and doohickeys!

The market: We just want a box that plays stuff.

This sounds scarily Wii U-ish to me

I'll go a step further: this sounds like a disaster. Doesn't mean it will be, of course...but I echo your Wii U-ish sentiment.

thefil

Developing a game in HD is different than uprezzing. HD is more than just a resolution youre choosing to be semantic lol you know what we mean. You wouldn't try to argue ffViI is already an HD game right?

It is a useful semantic distinction though. I'd be perfectly happy with an HD + high frame rate home console Monster Hunter using the same assets that have been in the series for 10 years.

Ridley327

I know, that's why I'm saying you're asking for a AAA game instead.

Expected, but awesome to get (some) confirmation.
Mostly excited that Nintendo can focus on a single platform now, which should ensure more variety and hopeful this could be the prime platform for Japanese games.

They just can't create enough software to support two different platforms.

And strategically just looking at the Wii U, they obviously can't rely on third parties to carry the torch.

Development is booming on the mobile side, makes sense to leverage that as/if possible to close that third party gap and then centralize around one platform because they can't support two.

bigjig

Eh i am strangely okay with this. Like some people said before i got my PS4 and X1 for power. With Nintendo i like them doing their thing. I love ly Wii U and it gets played often. I am sure Nintendo will deliver.

Yup, I don't really understand the argument that we need a third console that does the exact same fucking thing. I'm looking forward to getting this in addition to my PS4.

Pandy

They just can't create enough software to support two different platforms.

And strategically just looking at the Wii U, they obviously can't rely on third parties to carry the torch.

Development is booming on the mobile side, makes sense to leverage that as/if possible to close that third party gap and then centralize around one platform because they can't support two.

Seeing as I'm one of the doubting voices in this thread.
I'll just say that I never expected two separate eco-systems, but one NX OS 'platform' with two (or more?) hardware forms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom