• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

gafneo

Banned
For those saying NX can't be as powerful as the ps4, remember that there was talk about it working on the ps4. This handheld could just be a game controller that plays on all consoles, while also being mobile.

Sadist

But be honest...playing in bed is not what a handheld is aiming for. How many people play with their controller in bed while looking at their tv and enjoying the game?
My point is that console games are not suited for an handheld. Its not fun watching a 20 minute cutscene in the latest Assassins Creed and that was all you did on your train ride.
And I doubt they would change ports for the NX to make the games better to play in short sessions...
Thats the point why I don't believe completly in this rumor. It just doesn't fit to Nintendo and their 25+ years of experience in the handheld sector.
I'd expect Nintendo going for games like Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, Bravely Default, Shin Megami Tensei and other games which where on 3DS actually.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
But be honest...playing in bed is not what a handheld is aiming for. How many people play with their controller in bed while looking at their tv and enjoying the game?
My point is that console games are not suited for an handheld. Its not fun watching a 20 minute cutscene in the latest Assassins Creed and that was all you did on your train ride.
And I doubt they would change ports for the NX to make the games better to play in short sessions...
Thats the point why I don't believe completly in this rumor. It just doesn't fit to Nintendo and their 25+ years of experience in the handheld sector.

This handheld that you have in your mind has died a long time ago. About the time first iPhone launched.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Thing is, there's still room for games that offer shorter play sessions, the only difference is that the library will be shared.

Omg omg omg

Wait until Nintendo actually SHOW SOMETHING!

We're nearing pre-Wii levels of ..things. Most people are curious, some are hype and then people swearing off Nintendo forever. Somehow expecting great things from the reveal now.

So the two controllers mean, that i can have Local-Mulitplayer on the go? This is actually a great feature, which isn't a common Smart-Phone feature. Playing Mario Kart with my girlfriend on vacation would be great or have random people in a train play Smash Brothers against me. This sounds awesome.

Except every multiplayer game would have to be designed with only half of the controls being available in mind

AzaK

If the system is substantially more powerful than the Wii U when docked, even when not it will likely still be more powerful, I don't see the issue. Should be enough power for 1080p Nintendo games.

Nintendo was never going to make a console to supplant the XBO or PS4, so why bother trying to play by their rules.

And look how the Wii U turned out.

Obviously we don't know the power level yet, but if the 500GFlops is right, this is <50% XB1. In less than what the Wii U speculation was all those years ago. For home console gaming this just doesn't cut it unless everything is a cartoon.

It also spells doom for western third party support I think, at those levels of power.

It's not like it's going to have a top notch screen or anything, so I doubt it will drive the cost up. I'd be shocked it launched for more than $250-300. So it will come in at less than Wii U launch price so I don't see why console only folks would feel ripped off of they rarely used the portable functionality.

Hell, if anything the portable only folks are paying more for the dick they don't need assuming it has power boosting features that add cost.

There's cost in making things portable. You need small components, low heat etc so you have to pay for that. That's money that could be spent elsewhere if you didn't have to worry about it.

There's cost in a screen regardless. Again money spendable elsewhere.

How is it any different than Wii U? The only added cost to this versus a normal console would be the screen, which Wii U had. If anything not having to have a wireless card for remote play (or whatever U used) would make this a bit cheaper than that solution, so what's the problem again?

The Wii U was expensive for what it was. As a broad use, home console gaming machine it was useless.

Cuburt

Detachable controllers? Portable with a dock/TV out?

I don't believe it. Tegra, Shield, carts, XB1/Wii U level specs are all stuff I could maybe buy, but the hybrid idea has never sounded like a real solution to me and certainly not the hook that would help sell people on an NX.

I mean, it always seemed to be painted as a "hybrid" sort of device but a dock/TV out sounds like a poor compromise and the detachable controllers as Eurogamer has diagramed look like the Wii remotes combined with the Wii U. That's the biggest red flag to me that this is false.

I don't buy it.

This is really an outdated view on portable gaming.

Especially for the games where there is a lot to do like Zelda (Xenoblade would fall also in this category) being able to play both at home and on the way is perfect. You could do a side quest in those short 20 minutes. Or finish that dungeon that you started. And not only on the way, but you can take it in the kitchen, in the bed or even on the toilet.

Its not an outdated view. It is an realistic view. Maybe Zelda is an outliner but most games are still specific designed for their handheld entrys. Look at Luigis Mansion for example or why is Monster Hunter so beloved? You can easily play a mission and move on. Resident Evil Revelations was the same...missions instead a huge campaign.
And wow, I can see the marketing...take your handheld in the KITCHEN! That will change the way you play while you do yourself some amazing pasta.
Sorry, maybe Nintendo finds a way to show us the future of handheld gaming but if THAT is their special feature for the NX...to play games on the go and at home with the same device, then I don'z know why they couldnt show it earlier. It's been done in some way for over 20 years now.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I hope they fix that audible fan situation though.

Handhelds shouldn't have moving parts nor should they get loud under load. Nobody wants to hold a clammy whirring brick with hot air blowing out all the vents.

Pandy

Not sure why you're getting hung up on a name? If a docking station that provides HDMI out and charging also allows streaming is it still not a docking station?

Maybe the streaming via WiiU tech is something Nintendo is keeping close to the chest and Eurogamer's sources aren't aware?

Ok. Your phone when using Apple TV (as an example) is simply you using your phone and mirroring it to the TV. It's not suddenly a console. It's your phone, on the TV. You still have to use the phone to operate everything.

When this unit is docked, it will become a home console. You'll use the separate controllers to turn it on, navigate it and play. It is, for all intents and purposes a true home console when docked.

You still haven't explained why 'docking' is a thing except for charging, and if I can play it remotely it's going to need a separate charger anyway.

Metal B

For those saying NX can't be as powerful as the ps4, remember that there was talk about it working on the ps4. This handheld could just be a game controller that plays on all consoles, while also being mobile.
There is also a chance, that there are premium Add-on-Station, similar to the PS4 Nexus, which give you more power. Maybe Nintendo learned a lot from Smash 4, Xenoblade 3DS and Hyrule Warriors and will have different graphical settings depending of your hardware. The Handheld will be the base and the add-on the premium version. This would make Casual and Core gamers both happy.

Edit: But this will 100% not be compatible with devices from other companies ...

AzaK said:
For home console gaming this just doesn't cut it unless everything is a cartoon.

It also spells doom for western third party support I think, at those levels of power.

1) In some cases "a cartoon" takes more processing than "realism" (lol)

2) Western third parties weren't going to bring their AAA non-family properties to Nintendo device even if it was a PC with an Intel Xeon and a Pascal Titan X. I don't know why you and others keep hanging onto the dream that doesn't exist.

Handhelds shouldn't have moving parts nor should they get loud under load. Nobody wants to hold a clammy whirring brick with hot air blowing out all the vents.

I can see the NX running at lower clock speeds on handheld mode and avoid using the internal fan, if it has one. Specially if they have the more efficient Tegra X2 chip there.

AmyS

I mean, supposedly the Tegra X1 chip currently in NX dev kits has an audible fan, so it could indeed be just overclocked to come close to the Tegra X2. But given how much mobile tech has advanced, wouldn't Tegra X2 coded to the metal be pretty much Xbox One levels?

I guess it could be. Have to wait until Nvidia reveals the next Tegra (X2 aka Parker) at Hot Chips in August to have an idea what the performance increase over Tegra X1 is.

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...its-next-gen-tegra-mobile-chip-in-august.html

Then, we'd have to guess the clockspeed (and whatever other modifications) of the Nintendo NX variant.

But yeah, one would assume Tegra X2 coded to the metal, on a 540p screen (what everyone assumes) would produce results around Xbox One levels.

Delio

That Digital Foundry video was pretty interesting and made me really think they will push it and use the X2. I really doubt they would leave the fan in there, Well if this rumor is real of course. Cant wait to see the real reveal.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Its not an outdated view. It is an realistic view. Maybe Zelda is an outliner but most games are still specific designed for their handheld entrys. Look at Luigis Mansion for example or why is Monster Hunter so beloved? You can easily play a mission and move on. Resident Evil Revelations was the same...missions instead a huge campaign.
And wow, I can see the marketing...take your handheld in the KITCHEN! That will change the way you play while you do yourself some amazing pasta.
Sorry, maybe Nintendo finds a way to show us the future of handheld gaming but if THAT is their special feature for the NX...to play games on the go and at home with the same device, then I don'z know why they couldnt show it earlier. It's been done in some way for over 20 years now.

You will still have your Monster Hunter and Luigi Mansions. What are you even talking about?

And it is an outdated view. A lot has changed even on Nintendo handhelds in the past 20 years. A lot. More and more "console" games being present there, You don't see it, but that doesn't mean it hasn't changed. You're really stuck in time.

Don't want to play Zelda in the train, don't play it, but don't act like nobody will enjoy that.

Pokemaniac

I have some doubts about this rumor. Some parts of the design, particularly regarding the controller, seem a bit off to me. If nothing else, there definitely seems to be some important piece of info that's missing from this.

Dizzy

Banned
Thanks. This is a must-watch video.

Richard puts Tegra X1 into perspective very well, and also speculates that X1 in the NX dev kits could be a placeholder for Tegra X2 which is Pascal architecture, with around twice the performance. Would bring NX much closer to Xbox One level performance.
Wtf?

Oh man. I completely underestimated how powerful Tegra was. I think I also overestimated the wii u's power, when I should remember it was in the same ballpark as 10 year old consoles.

Hopefully this turns out good. A shared software library between handheld/console is what I want most from Nintendo.

Mihos

Gold Member

Shield portable has a fan, it does none of the stuff you are saying

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
You still haven't explained why 'docking' is a thing except for charging, and if I can play it remotely it's going to need a separate charger anyway.

Because if I don't need the second screen, why not dock it? It can charge it's battery and allow me to play using a (presumably) more comfortable controller.

I'm not going to lie, I'm surprised this concept is confounding you the way it is. It's fairly simple.

Nanashrew

Banned
And why? An open world game on an handheld is not really a concept that works. Nintendo themselves once said, and thats a reason why there handhelds were so successful, that u need to make a specific designed game for an handheld. A game you can quickly play for 20 minutes and the put down again. Most console games don't fit in this explenation and thats a reason why I think it isn't a good concept Nintendo is aiming for with the NX.

A lot of that has changed these days. We're starting to get more home console like games on handhelds now that everything is in 3D. Not to mention many of the remakes of console games for the 3DS.

Roo

Nintendo will fail, horribly...smh....As a 38 year old gamer who grew up on Nintendo systems, it saddens me to know that my last Nintendo purchase will be my launch day Wii U....So long Nintendo, it was good while it lasted....

As a 38 year old man you sound childish
Why don't you wait for Nintendo to actually reveal the thing first?
Emofq2j.gif

1) In some cases "a cartoon" takes more processing than "realism" (lol)

2) Western third parties weren't going to bring their AAA non-family properties to Nintendo device even if it was a PC with an Intel Xeon and a Pascal Titan X. I don't know why you and others keep hanging onto the dream that doesn't exist.

1) Yeah, sometimes. :p

2) Thats just wrong and nothing that would work in the real world. Publisher bring their games on every possible console if it could be successful. If the NX would sell millions of millions units and would be a real powerhouse, the big publisher would bring the IPs for the console. They don't care if it says Sony, Nintendo or Ulumulu on the plastic thing you gpt under your TV. They wanna make money and if they see a chance to make some, they grab it.

If it is underpowered on the other hand you are right. We will never get downgrades of AAA titles even if the NX is successful. Then we will get either an specific made entry for the game or just a game which fits to the Nintendo audience.

Phaezyk

There's just something about the idea of Detachable controllers by itself that makes me question it's legitimacy and think "Nah, that's not it." with the sole possible exception being a design that evokes similarity to the original Famicom. Then you have to wonder the controller design itself, because if you start cramming a lot of buttons and sticks on there then the controllers become bigger, but if you keep it simple, maybe a simple as just a d-pad and some buttons similar to the Wii remote then you run the risk of possibly compromising the complexity of some games.

I could see a design using circle pads, the usual four face buttons and maybe some buttons on the top, but that doesn't seem like it would come cheap, and if that's the case then they certainly wouldn't include them if there was profit to be made from selling them seperately.

Anyway, just thinking more about the idea out loud.

I bet that the screen will21st of 99 be attachable to a headmount for VR gaming and that the two side controllers will have motion tracking so that together with the headmount xcan do roomscale V.

Pokemon GO VR!

Neoxon

The problem I have is how is this going to look on a big 1080p screen? Is there NX going to be even weaker than the 360?
Nah, the Tegra X1 will already be a fair bit above the Wii U. The question is if it'll reach Xbox One levels. The answer to that will depend on a number of factors.
  • Is the X1 chip in the dev kits (w/ an audible fan) a placeholder for the X2?
  • Does the console dock add additional power to the NX or, at the very least, overclock the CPU & GPU?
  • Is the NX itself overclocked or underclocked, even without the console dock?
  • Does the OS take up a lot of processing power?

NeonZ

And look how the Wii U turned out.

Obviously we don't know the power level yet, but if the 500GFlops is right, this is <50% XB1. In less than what the Wii U speculation was all those years ago. For home console gaming this just doesn't cut it unless everything is a cartoon.

The western third party support (or, really, the console focused third party support in general) would always be dead for a system arriving in the middle of the generation that didn't offer a leap over the current systems. There's no reason the audience buying FIFA or GTA would buy a new system for new versions of games that they already have with no advantages. A PS4+ console from Nintendo coming against an established PS4 and the X-Box would have no audience. The time for something like that was back when the Wii U launched - if it had been closer to the X-Box One then we might have seen a very different scenario, but by the current point it's too late. They'd need another generation transition in order to attempt something like that. For a system coming at this point, I really think something like this NX leak is the only thing that might give them some results.

Snakeyes

I still can't get over how bizarre this decision is.

Does Nintendo think console-only players will gladly pay out the ass for components they won't use much, if at all (display, battery, the modular handheld controls in the mock-up, etc)?

If the dock boosts the handheld's power, do they think handheld-only players will gladly pay out the ass for a peripheral they'll rarely use?

How do they expect families to share the unit? A stationary console just stays under the TV, but this docking tablet introduces another thing for kids to argue about.

The only benefit from doing this is having to develop for one platform, but you could achieve this just as well with two separate pieces of hardware built on the same architecture and playing the same software.

Sheroking

Well... I would be more disappointed, but I think I'll choose to look at this as a handheld with a built in GBA-player like option for TV gaming. It definitely differentiates from Xbox One and PS4 (I didn't see a pressing need for another one of those) and it unifies Nintendo's development pool - so they should support this console much better than Wii U or 3DS individually.

Now show me the form factor and controller.

MANUELF

Banned
Nintendo focusing ALL its developers on a single device is the biggest new here, that should mean no more dry spells anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom