• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trago

basically search for a 3DS recommendation thread and a Wii U recommendation thread

and then combine those recs

hyped as fuck right now

All those first party titles and Japanese exclusives.....

Who gives a fuck about power at this point? Think about how many games this thing could get.

I'm guessing underclocked GPU and 720p native resolution while in mobile mode and full clock and variable resolutions while connected to its base station.

NotLiquid

One thing that kind of bothers me is that if this really is Nintendo's push on the portable side of things then the big elephant in the room needs to be addressed of it kind of defeating the purpose of a personal portable experience. Two people in my household own a 3DS and it's an easy thing to deal with whether you're playing on your own or with someone else; but if you want your own portable console does this mean you're going to have to buy two NX consoles?

This has always been my main issue when it comes to dealing with a portable/console hybrid. It kind of eschews the main advantages of each front. I hope this is something Nintendo deals with or thought through properly.

jamsy

So is the latest Tegra more powerful than a Wii U? Or less?

Because this sure sounds like Zelda NX won't be in 1080p like everyone expected. Or any Nintendo game anytime for the next few years. Godammit Nintendo.

dock

xkMDKGC.gif

exclusive footage. the future is here.

I'm not entirely sure what to think of this, but as a self contained unit that people could play

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Considering that the VERY first thing we learned about it suggested pretty heavily that it was not going to be a hybrid, and for the longest time it was the only piece of information we know about it, its not at all a surprise that no would think it was an hybrid.

Nintendo says many things. There are some people kept insisting that NX is more likely to be hybrid but some people just shut them down.

My point is people shouldn't take words at face value. Only if EuroGamer is right.

The Boat

Question: The screen is more than likely not going to be 1080p resolution, so how would that work when connecting it to the T.V.? Would it just stretch the image?
The hardware can output 1080 to the TV even if the handheld screen is less than that.

As someone who doesn't play handheld gaming, all I care about it how it works as a home console.

I really hope the home console aspect isn't compromised by this design, if true.

There's no way it can't be compromised by its handheld design. Thats the entire point. A compromise between console and handheld.

Haunted

They will need to show some real fucking incentive for using the dock. Like, I'm expecting substantial improvements when the same game is played portable vs via dock.

The premise of playing your portable games on the big screen alone didn't work out so well for the Ouya and were nothing more than minor peripherals in the past (GBA player, PSVita TV).

acm2000

What is this 'much weaker' hw you're talking about?

Resolution scales (as proven by ps4/xbone SKUs). CPU-wise an X1 will likely beat both xbone and ps4, as long NX does not have half its cores 'reserved'.

are you mad? is everyone forgetting that this thing is gonna have some crazy power management, its not gonna run at anything near benchmark power

plus its nintendo, i bet this thing only has a 720p screen

Really curious to see what it looks like and how it feels.
Nintendo going all out with first party titles, and hopefully (funded) 3rd party exclusives, for NX should be something.

Could the "base unit" provide additional power to increase performance/graphics of software when connected at home???

People, seriously, read this:

We also know it has an unusual CPU set-up - two next-gen versions of Nvidia's own Denver CPU cores, paired with an ARM quad-core ARM Cortex-A57 CPU cluster. But what we don't know is the form its GPU component will take because unusually, Nvidia has released no specs on this element whatsoever. Assuming that X2 offers a generational leap over X1 and uses the same Pascal architecture found in its new GPU line, we are potentially looking at power more in line with the current-gen consoles. And if Pascal is in play, it will also use 14nm FinFET production technology compared to X1's 20nm process, meaning it is much more power-efficient. Nintendo could also downclock the chip for further efficiency savings and longer battery life while retaining the lion's share of its processing power.

Imagine the handheld is down clocked when you play it as a portable. Once you hook it up to the dock, it upclocks the GPU for a boost in power because it no longer has to worry about battery life.

There's a lot of potential here.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV.

Can somebody explain this?

The brain of the NX is inside the controller? How do you connect it to the dock station?

Asd202

Look up any list of best 3DS games. Many, MANY of them are third party.

If most of those companies move on to the NX, you'll now also be able to enjoy their games without having to play them on a tiny screen. Bravely Default, Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter, all of those now on your TV.

It's basically a trojan horse way for them to get their handheld partners to also make games for their console. By turning the console into the handheld.

That's cool and all it doesn't adress the elephant in the room which is Western 3rd party devs. That is what Nintendo lacks.

atbigelow

Not very interested in a handheld, to be honest. Especially if it follows the trend of Nintendo being incapable of ergonomics for them.

X1 has more power than a Wii U, though. And if I can get some kind of base station always attached with a wireless controller, I'd be happy.

Ridley327

No backwards compatibility oO

Welp. I may have to get a WiiU afterall.

In all likelihood, they're planning on porting over the bigger Wii U games to this. Smash 4 seems like a dead certainty at this point, and I imagine we'll see them do the same for Mario Maker.

Zero83

Sad to see Nintendo exiting the traditional home console market.
I never play handhelds, and while the NX connects to the TV, I'd be very disappointed if its less powerful than the Wii U. I'll buy it anyway, if the games are good. I hope Nintendo will continue to bring us the same high quality experiences as they mostly did on the Wii U.

akileese

As a few of us keep saying - we know nothing of the dock. It could be a breakout box for home users, a la PS VR.

This could also line up with why Emily Rogers thought it was expensive. If the dock is a breakout box that adds processing power to it it could end up being as much as the handheld itself, though not required by any means.

If this thing is expensive at launch like 3ds was their is a very high chance.

What did the 3DS in was the putrid software lineup it had. No one was going to pay that price when there were almost no games.

This is going to be launching with Zelda, and hopefully some other high quality games, too. If it has a great lineup, I think people will be willing to pay.

gunstarhero

I guess it'd be possible ala Surface Book, where the handheld would come with Tegra and the optional dock would be with a more powerful Nvidia's dedicated GPU. The dock could make it not dissimilar to the Wii U today except that code would need to be compiled for handheld and handheld+dock. Like the Book, this'd also opens up potential upgradable paths.

On reason I doubt that this is the case it is that the tech would be on the dear side for both the handheld and dock which could put folks off.

That would be pretty awesome if true. WiiU level graphics on the go would be great, then plug it in at home and you get something better.

The reality of new Nintendo hardware that gets the full force of their development efforts alone instead of splitting it between console and handheld is enough for me.

I'm in.

A portable that I can play on TV, that outputs Wii U-level or better graphics, that gets every single Nintendo-developed game is pretty much a winner for me.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm stoked. Now nintendo doesn't have to split focus between a handheld and a console. Everything runs in both modes on the same device.

Nintendo's output on the Wii U may have felt underwhelming to many, but on 3DS it's another story. We have had a steady stream of really good titles. Now we may be getting a nintendo system with a really compelling level of output with all those dev teams narrowing their focus on one piece of hardware.

The third party support on the 3DS has been pretty nice if you like Japanese games. Maybe Nintendo can court smartphone/tablet developers to port their content to the NX. Could be a better strategy than trying to convince PS4/XBO devs to port to a lower powered system. But hopefully it's a bit of both.

tr1p1ex

Sounds like Nintendo.

I never thought it was going to have a ton of power. Almost for sure thought they had to be going ARM this generation. They were combining OS's and having different architectures wouldn't make sense. 3ds was already ARM and had the better sales particularly in Japan which is their home market and the market that they focus first on. x86 isn't best in class in mobile architectures and so was doubtful. And Nintendo doesn't require high end graphics power for their games. Plus they were never going to try and make a PS4 clone.

Was pretty sure Nintendo was going to compete on the low end. Kids/families. Casuals.

i didn't really think it was going to be a hybrid though because of what Iwata said and because it seems like they can make a home version of this for even cheaper ...ie without the screen and battery. But Iwata's comments and a hyrbrid doesn't preclude Nintendo from doing just that and eventually coming out with a tv-only version of this. ...although then you lose some of your uniqueness and are just a streaming box with a controller.

I figured it was barely going to run Wii U games because..... They weren't going to make another expensive system nor PS4 clone. It was going to run ARM. It would either run the same games as the portable or slightly prettier versions. ....And a recent comment from Nintendo only backed that up. One of the big three in Japan that report to the CEO said (at E3 or during their last investor's report) that they are working to make Zelda be the same experience on the NX...which to me meant "porting to another platform" that doesn't have a lot of wiggle room in terms of extra processing power. ...because you don't have to work hard(relatively speaking) to port a game to a or provide a similar experience on a much more powerful platform. It seemed like an odd comment to make ...if the NX was going to have a lot more gpu power.

But for all I know this is another incestual rumor and just sourced from NeoGaf and crap read on the internets.

Taker666

Hybrid console is a good decision. You no longer need to split resources and you can get in on the mobile and console market at the same time. Don't see it as anything more than a secondary gaming device for most people though.

A multiplatform OS is a good idea..a hybrid device is not.

You combine the costs of a handheld and console... making a more expensive device that doesn't satisfy the needs of either individual market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom