• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just stick it in a neoprene sleeve. Works fine with Vita etc., and barely adds any size or weight. So unless you're one of those people always wearing baggy ass clothes with pockets that can fit a portable (especially a 3DSXL, because fuck the kiddy hand sized regular version and it's puny screen), it's a minor inconvenience at best and takes up little extra room in your bag/purse/briefcase.
I usually carried around my 3DS in my scrub pants pocket, I doubt this would fit.

KainXVIII

Obligatory

aa0.png

JCX

What if the new dragon quest for NX switches between 3DS/PS4 graphics depending on if it is docked or not? That would be a neat trick.

Nintendo had a choice between a console with only first party support(while they also had to support a handheld as well) and little to no 3rd party support.

Or a hybrid that will get ALL of Nintendo's first party support and support from Japanese 3rd parties who usually support their handheld.

Seemed like a no brainer.

bachikarn

Do people think there will be no 3DS successor now?

I always thought Nintendo might literally go the iPad/iPhone route, and release two portables. One more like a tablet (a hybrid and console replacement) and one with a smaller form factor that is more like a traditional gameboy/DS

this was my dream tbh

the Nintendo device that can play Mario, 3D Zelda, 2D Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, Xenoblade, Splatoon, Retro's games and Smash Bros. on the go and at home

will pay whatever it takes

Keyouta

I'm in. I enjoy playing Nintendo games on their handhelds and this looks like it'll be a powerful one. You have connection to a TV too in case you want that. The thought of a combined software library sounds great as well. I want good battery life and a good sleep mode out of this. Oh, and region unlocked, of course. Hopefully Nintendo comes out soon with some official wording.

Anth0ny

this is going to look EXTRA SHITTY after neo and scorpio drop

I still don't know who this is for. "more nintendo games, quicker" doesn't sound like a winning strategy in 2017.

This sounds cool. More or less the logical route for Nintendo tot ake, and I'm totally cool with it.

Actually, I'm glad it's just one device and not two as was speculated. Very convenient for me. The hybrid thing was always the best-case scenario, honestly.

Hopefully people can stop calling Emily a liar now.

That's the future. It's curious that Nintendo is making the most forward thinking gaming platform.
Eventually game consoles will be your Windows, Android or Apple tablet/phone that could be synch with your controller and TV.
Also Zelda portable is going to be great.

They are kinda forced into this given the barren release lists and not being able to support two devices. It doesn't sound that bad actually if I can hook up a pro controller, sure it will be underpowered but at least there will be a lot to play. I'm a bit worried about them ignoring the more traditional console type games though.

nekomix

I cautiously take that rumour, we've heard so much about NX that it is always hard to believe one rumour coming but if this one is right... this is a pretty ballsy move and I can't wait that reveal to know if my hype goes to 0 or to maximum levels.

I'm cautiously optimistic. A lot will depend on the price point of this thing. If it's in the 150-200€/$ range for an unified hybrid device I'm definitely interested.

hiryu

This is what the WiiU should have been. I'm glad Nintendo is going this route, they clearly weren't going to compete in the home console market power race.

Best part of this is that it gets rid of the split Nintendo developmental resources. Now all of their developers can focus on games for one device.

Taker666

A portable.

Alright, no NX for me!

I'm in the same boat sadly. I'd resent having to pay the extra money for a handheld just so I could still play Nintendo games on my TV.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a version which doesn't need the handheld is also coming.

I'm calling bullshit on this. If the main console comes with a touchscreen, then why did Breath of the Wild's touchscreen features get gimped? And what about this concept will bring the casuals back enough to get publishers like Ubisoft excited to dump their Just Dance type games on it?

Gartooth

Hahaha after all of Nintendo's denials it turns out to be a hybrid!

Curious how this thing's architecture is set up. It can't be too difficult to swap between handheld and console form if they don't want to piss off general audiences due to poor usability.

Also even if the power is better than that of a Wii U, it feels more like Nintendo folding their console hardware model into their handheld one than the other way around.

-Horizon-

"Due to the radical change in hardware design and internal technology, we've been told by one source that there are no plans for backwards compatibility."

Pretty important to note too if it's true

People should've been expecting this to happen though with the rumors out so far.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
That seems the most likely scenario by far.

Would something like additional RAM be feasible in the dock or not really worth it? At this point an additional chipset would be rather pricey, and not really worth it, but they could always release an expansion for that in a couple years times. But can we really expect the handheld to hold ~8 gigs of RAM?

DKHF

So if it's true that NX is getting Dragon Quest XI it probably won't be the PS4 version. If it's that underpowered it will probably an upscaled 3DS version.
I think it will be getting a significantly worse looking version of the PS4 version. I don't think you will be playing an upscaled 3DS game on a device with this power.

A Tegra X1 is more powerful than the Wii U. Why is that in question here? The Wii U's GPU closest equivalent is an ATI Radeon HD 4660. The X1 easily tops that. And an X1 is just whats in the dev kits. I'm not getting my hopes up, but I wouldn't doubt it having an X2 upon release.

Thank you. I didn't know the X1 was more powerful than the Wii U. Hopefully we get the X2.

maxcriden

It wouldn't surprise me if the 'click them together' is optional. There's no real reason for a controller to necessarily be a single unit, and I got quite partial to having my hands separate from one another for a few Wiimote + Nunchuk games that didn't require motion.

Oh, good point. That would be delightful. I love the Wiimote + Nunchuk combo.

Nzyme32

Called it!

The combo systems seemed obvious from that first nx discussion.

Tegra though .... We'll see. Yet to see tegra do reasonably well in terms of heat and battery life

Wait, imagine if this thing can stream PC games! I know the Shield can do it. I think Nintendo might have hinted (could be just me mixing up rumors) that the NX can potentially connect to other devices?
Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. That's really easy to do. Hell, I stream PC games to my iPad while using a 360 controller.

Tegra X1 is already a lot more powerful than Wii U.

dqiY9Om.jpg

Based on the FLOP number, it would still be approximately 2.5x less powerful than the Xbox One. That's not bad for a handheld, but unless the dock has extra processing available I don't see very many current-gen games coming its way.

Weebos

Banned
Nice, as a primarily handheld gamer this is good news.

I can't wait to see it, it sounds interesting and weird.

It's a shame there probably won't be backwards compatibility, but I hope they can get digital stuff worked out so we're not buying the same eshop games forever.

Honestly, it sounds really interesting on paper. If it is at least as powerful as the Wii U it would be nice to have a system that can play those kinds of games on the go and at home. I mean, third party support will probably be non-existent on it, but I'd still like to own one for Nintendo's games if the price is right.

Nintendo had a choice between a console with only first party support(while they also had to support a handheld as well) and little to no 3rd party support.

Or a hybrid that will get ALL of Nintendo's first party support and support from Japanese 3rd parties who usually support their handheld.

Seemed like a no brainer.
At least that'll be nice. Ace Attorney and Spike Chunsoft games on the big screen, maybe!

Sounds like it isn't clamshell designed either, which means that in order for it to be portable you'll be walking around with three DS sized pieces. Gross.

If the console controller is also the handheld input device, does that mean no analog stick?

On the converse, I think they may make the controllers on either side quite small. As for sticks or circle pads, that's a good question.

There will be USB ports on the dock and also a new Pro Controller. There's gotta be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom