• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregano

No, you're right, especially if it's more powerful by a significant amount. Only initially though.

I went back and looked at that article, somce some of it really was hilarious in hindsight.

I knew it was Vita's destiny. He basically said that 3DS wasn't even competition for Vita at all. No idea what that author was thinking.

I really want to see a repeat of that article.

If NX is a pascal-based Tegra device would it even be possible for a new PSP to be notably more powerful? Following up the Vita Sony would have to aim quite a bit higher resolution wise too so NX could actually end up with better looking games at lower res which would interesting.

If Sony were to release a brand new handheld(which I still doubt) the only goal would be to prevent Vita developers switching to primarily supporting Nintendo. It'd be entirely about fucking over their competition which seems utterly ridiculious.

Nanashrew

Banned
I think they want to make Nintendo as weak as possible so they can get most of the market share for themselves. Think about it, if they can rejuvenate the handheld sector like they did with PS4 on the console market. Then They are in a very very good position

I don't think Sony could. Nintendo has enough big hitters for their handhelds to bring in people and exclusives like Monster Hunter which is becoming bigger. It would be a tough uphill battle for Sony and I don't think they have the chops. Especially after how they handled the Vita.

MuchoMalo

Banned
If NX is a pascal-based Tegra device would it even be possible for a new PSP to be notably more powerful? Following up the Vita Sony would have to aim quite a bit higher resolution wise too so NX could actually end up with better looking games at lower res which would interesting.

If Sony were to release a brand new handheld(which I still doubt) the only goal would be to prevent Vita developers switching to primarily supporting Nintendo. It'd be entirely about fucking over their competition which seems utterly ridiculious.

It could be if Ghosttrick is right and NX ends up with 1 SM @200MHz with the goal of merely matching Vita or Wii U graphics at 540p. It's extremely unlikely though, especially since there's no reason for Nintendo to specifically target that. I guess if they were both using a Pascal Tegra and Nintendo went with one SM while Sony went with three.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It could be if Ghosttrick is right and NX ends up with 1 SM @200MHz with the goal of merely matching Vita or Wii U graphics at 540p. It's extremely unlikely though, especially since there's no reason for Nintendo to specifically target that. I guess if they were both using a Pascal Tegra and Nintendo went with one SM while Sony went with three.

You speak as if Vita and Wii u had the same graphics

Mr Swine

Banned
let the dream die

It's just some speculation from my side

They don't have the products/IP for it, and they spent the last two+ years burning their audience on handhelds with no support and being relegated to "legacy". They did the exact opposite of what they did with the PS3 to PS4 transition.

I think devs are more willing to support a Sony handheld than a Nintendo handheld if Sony is behind it. And what about no ip's? They have Uncharted, TLoU, GoW, GT and a slew of other big hitters that have sold well.

I don't think Sony could. Nintendo has enough big hitters for their handhelds to bring in people and exclusives like Monster Hunter which is becoming bigger. It would be a tough uphill battle for Sony and I don't think they have the chops. Especially after how they handled the Vita.

I think Sony could if they supported the new handheld like they did with PSP or better

I think they want to make Nintendo as weak as possible so they can get most of the market share for themselves. Think about it, if they can rejuvenate the handheld sector like they did with PS4 on the console market. Then They are in a very very good position

This is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time. This is the type of shit that will pop up in a dream and it'll immediately turn lucid because your body knows it's sleeping and this isn't real

Vena

We're starting to go backwards again, come on, lol.

I think devs are more willing to support a Sony handheld than a Nintendo handheld if Sony is behind it. And what about no ip's? They have Uncharted, TLoU, GoW, GT and a slew of other big hitters that have sold well.

Yes, just like the Vita. A complete tire-fire.

Like it or not, if you don't have Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and a bunch of other incredibly potent IP, your handheld is worthless in this day and age.

I think Sony could if they supported the new handheld like they did with PSP or better

The problem is, I don't think they can.

Look at the situation Nintendo is in. They've been spread far too thin this last generation trying to support both a handheld and an HD console. It's a nightmare scenario, which is why the NX is heading in the direction it appears to be. And that's Nintendo, probably one of the most prolific developers out there. The amount of manpower Nintendo has at their command to pump out first party titles still can't prop up both in today's gaming industry. It just isn't feasible.

And I have a hard time believing Sony first party output can outpace Nintendo's first party output, and that's before you realize that Sony could potentially be splitting their output between two systems while Nintendo gets to put all their effort into one device. On top of that, if what we hear about NX is true, it's not too likely that a significant power advantage will be cost effective, as historically the types of high-quality titles that defined the PSP/Vita library were RPGs, VNs, and hunting games, none of which will likely be so pressed for power that they could ONLY run on a "Vita2" and not the NX...

tl;dr, I just don't think the situation favors Sony. They would be throwing money away.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

If they were planning on doing that, why did they abandoned the Vita so fast?

Pokéjungle has no credibility, people. That website's stock-in-trade is repeating every single /vp/ rumour it gets its hands on, not getting legitimate scoops.

That alleged leak's credibility likely comes down to the Happy Hour Meowth being datamined weeks ago, not genuine foreknowledge of Game Freak or Nintendo's plans.

Snakeyes

None of these are enough to carry a system, nor do they lend themselves well to a pick-up and play experience that is crucial on a handheld. In fact, the key selling points (graphical showcase, cinematic presentation) of all the IPs you mentioned would be greatly diminished on a portable. The success of PlayStation hardware depends heavily on third party support, so the fate of a Vita successor would hinge on the amount of developers Sony could round up and commit to serious projects.

This is the exact argument that was used to fuel that fairy tale IGN wrote that the Vita would outsell the 3DS.

Nobody wants to play Uncharted or God of War on a handheld. Nobody.

Servbot24

Banned

Sony does not care that Nintendo exists. Nintendo is nowhere on there radar, other than possibly as a guide of what not to do.

Asd202

So what if with PSP3 you will be able to play PS4 games on the go? Just link your PSN account and your good to go. I mean people in this thread are expecting NX to get 3rd party games based on the rumored specs so I can't see why new Sony handhled couldn't do it. It would be kinda like NX but you would need two devices instead of one. The difference here would be there are already over 40 million PS4 in the wild. I think it would be interesting and could make NX look not as interesting or new concept wise. Wonder how Nintendo would tackle that situation. Obviously it's all baseless speculation :p

So what if with PSP3 you will be able to play PS4 games on the go? Just link your PSN account and your good to go. I mean people in this thread are expecting NX to get 3rd party games based on the rumored specs so I can't see why new Sony handhled couldn't do it. It would be kinda like NX but you would need two devices instead of one. The difference here would be there are already over 40 million PS4 in the wild. I think it would be interesting and could make NX look not as interesting or new concept wise. Wonder how Nintendo would tackle that situation. Obviously it all baseless speculation :p
The NX concept or at least the idea people had previously was a weaker handheld and a stronger console that you can port up so any game would run natively on future hardware. I don't think you can release a weaker system and expect it to run 3 years of ps4 games at an acceptable performance natively.
At most they can make it so devs can produce games for it and easily have it run on ps4, but I'm not sure there's much of a market for that.

antonz

Had Uncharted Vita been a good game, people would have wanted to play it.

Yep. Sony's entire problem is the studio's that make their big games want nothing to do with handheld. So the best Sony can attempt to do is farm out the franchise to others.

People want to play Naughty Dog's Uncharted. Not Uncharted by Random Studio A or B

Vena

So what if with PSP3 you will be able to play PS4 games on the go? Just link your PSN account and your good to go. I mean people in this thread are expecting NX to get 3rd party games based on the rumored specs so I can't see why new Sony handhled couldn't do it. It would be kinda like NX but you would need two devices instead of one. The difference here would be there are already over 40 million PS4 in the wild. I think it would be interesting and could make NX look not as interesting or new concept wise. Wonder how Nintendo would tackle that situation. Obviously it's all baseless speculation :p

And how would you do that? Magic? If its streaming, then that already exists in the Vita and no one gives a shit.

Oregano

Yes, Nintendo can barely muster 600GFlops at best but based Sony can put out a 1TFlop+ handheld with ease.

Eolz

Easy. Just give MonHun to Nintendo again and let Sony do dumb decisions as usual with handhelds (memory cards, marketing, not understanding the handheld market, and other weird stuff).
Obviously it won't happen so...

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The file sizes of PS4 games alone would make a portable PS4 impossible for anything other than indies.

Noi_

Banned

So uh, what storage space does it get? you'd be able to get like, maybe 3 games on it tops lol

This thread is way off topic now.

Yeah at this point it's just: "HERE'S WHY MY RUMORED CONSOLE BETTER THAN YOURS"

I can't see it. It released a few months after Uncharted 3, which was a far more appealing product. That's always going to be the problem with a handheld version of a popular Sony IP - it's just more fun to play on console and there's always going to be the option to do so.

Gravity Rush was probably the best attempt Sony made at creating a uniquely handheld experience that benefits from being on handheld. But that and its sequel are on PS4 now too. Even if they did put out new hardware, Sony's never going to foster a mass audience on handheld with that sort of software planning.

Retrobox

Well, the NX has to happen for Nintendo either way because that's where all the future projects are going to, so even if for some bizarre reason Sony released another handheld, I do believe Nintendo would be relatively unfazed by that.

But really, what sense does that even make when Sony themselves stopped supporting the Vita?

Malus

Well that'd contradict Matt saying it wouldn't be weaker than Wii U and everyone seems to really trust him.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Uncharted Vita was a great game. Best core gameplay in the series at time of release. It jus didn't have the big set pieces or cinematic stuff of the console games. But the core gameplay was very well done. Gyro aiming made the act of shooting so much better. There were a few annoying gimmicky things that could have been taken out, but nevertheless Golden Abyss was a great UC experience when it comes to the core gameplay.

AdanVC

In all seriousness I ask: Do you think it will be possible that Nintendo will finally announce the reveal date of this thing before August ends???? I'm going crazy over here :'(

Malus

Things can change with time you know. The 3DS and the WiiU started as much better machines iirc.

Yes I know, but he hasn't exactly provided any update so.

There's also Emily relatively recently stating it'd blow away Wii U, but I'm just quoting Matt because he seems to have some authority with people here.

Noi_

Banned
In all seriousness I ask: Do you think it will be possible that Nintendo will finally announce the reveal date of this thing before August ends???? I'm going crazy over here :'(

If it's an actual press event, then yes. It almost has to be announced in August so people will have time to book flights and what not. Even if it's a direct or a digital event i'm sure they'll have some sort of hands on press event. But idk who handles the flights and stuff. And at the very least i'm sure they'll wanna build hype and not just announce it 3 minutes before they stream it

Bitanator

It's just some speculation from my side

What makes you think like that? and a slew of other big hitters like what? Sony IP is incredibly thin compared to Nintendo in regards to games that translate well to that environment, no dev with go against the family market Nintendo has in order to support an otaku only machine considering that is all the third party support your dream created sony machine would garner.

Not only that but to your other bold, in order for Sony to craft a respectable machine with games they would have to pour countless resources into a new machine nobody wants and take away PS4 resources which people clearly want. You have to stop being delusional about this fantasy, they will never give the support that a handled needs to thrive in this current environment, they do not have the audience or the care to do so, it would be disastrous again.

So what if with PSP3 you will be able to play PS4 games on the go? Just link your PSN account and your good to go

Well, not really. Either this "PSP3" would need to be disgustingly powerful with a tremendous battery (and thus prohibitively expensive) or it would require devs to go back and redesign their existing PS4 games to work on a different system (and likely architecture, as x86 is apparently less than ideal for a handheld) just so people can play existing games on another system, all for no additional revenue if you intend for people to not have to repurchase those titles.

It's just kind of a pipe dream.

I mean people in this thread are expecting NX to get 3rd party games based on the rumored specs so I can't see why new Sony handhled couldn't do it.

That's based on more than just rumored specs. We can debate about exactly how many third party console titles will ALSO come out on NX, although I think most people probably expect that line to be in the vauge neighborhood of "some but not all".

More importantly, Nintendo handhelds have traditionally had pretty good third party support. And given the nature of the Japanese gaming market, a next-gen Nintendo handheld with no competition currently in sight will probably absorb pretty much all Japanese third-party support for anything but the most demanding titles (and that support is usually the only thing keeping Sony handhelds alive).

Even if Sony was able to put together a strong competition (which historically they have not been able to), they would need to announce it and push it out the door ASAP to prevent Nintendo from building up too much of a lead. Once a Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter are on the NX and not the "PSP3" it's basically curtains for Sony.

I think this is the week. This one or the next one. Within 2 weeks we should know when the reveal will occur.

At least I hope so, cause this secrecy is becoming ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom