• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all seriousness I ask: Do you think it will be possible that Nintendo will finally announce the reveal date of this thing before August ends???? I'm going crazy over here :'(

I know we're all fretting over John Harker not getting an invite yet, but there's always the possibility that Nintendo may announce the NX itself via a live-streamed "Nintendo Direct" like event rather than a press event, then invite the press afterward to a hands-on event down the road with a second wave of info revealed then.

If they do this, they could easily announce the live-stream event as little as a week in advance. Wouldn't surprise me too much. Nintendo is extremely unpredictable.

EDIT: Point being, developers and press alike probably wouldn't be needed for a streamed reveal presentation, so if that is their approach it could come totally out of the blue. Basically nobody outside of Nintendo would know about it, and only a few people INSIDE Nintendo would.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Well that'd contradict Matt saying it wouldn't be weaker than Wii U and everyone seems to really trust him.

Yeah. I think that realistically a new PSP could only beat NX by 50-100%, which sounds like a lot but is nothing compared to the previous gaps.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yeah. I think that realistically a new PSP could only beat NX by 50-100%, which sounds like a lot but is nothing compared to the previous gaps.

And be priced so high nobody would buy it...just like the Vita.

I say this as a launch Vita owner.

Peterc

nintendo-says-its-looking-to-appeal-to-both-causal-and-core-gamers-with-nx

Shinya Takahashi who is the General Manager of Nintendo Entertainment Planning & Development has revealed the demographic that Nintendo is aiming for with the NX platform. In an interview with Nikkei Trendy, Takahashi says that the company has designed the NX to be an appealing product for both casual and core gamers and also addressed the subject of software droughts. Here’s what he had to say:

“I can’t talk about this in detail yet, but we are aiming so that neither people who like games nor moms dislike it. I think that I want to release a game device that both customers who have much experience in gaming and customers who haven’t played much can enjoy greatly.”

“We are paying attention to that. Having said that, it isn’t about drastically increasing the amount of development staff. To be specific, software development teams and teams that create the development environment are thinking about the NX lineup together. For example, a software development team may have a request ‘if we had this library, then development would progress quickly’. Teams creating the development environment respond to that by considering ‘if we prepare an environment like this, then development will go smoothly’, and they actually discuss with development teams and hear their opinions and prioritize those things. We have built a stronger cooperative relationship compared to what is was before and are making efforts so that software can be developed smoothly.”

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/08/...ppeal-to-both-causal-and-core-gamers-with-nx/

Was this already been posted?

MuchoMalo

Banned
A bit too heavy on the pessimism when it comes the NX, don't you think?

This is under the assumption that Nintendo would aim for a $200-250 machine and have two SMs, while Sony would go for $300-350 and also use a Tegra but with 3-4 SMs. My personal minimum expectation for NX's GPU is 2 SMs @500MHz, or 256 FP32/512 FP16 GFLOPS. I'm still having a really hard time seeing Nintendo going with more than 2 SMs, though.

The Wii U didn't. It tried to replicate the Wii's success. And, well....

I don't think that the poor execution of the Wii U is evidence that Nintendo didn't TRY to appeal to both groups--just that they failed on both accounts by trying to appeal to tablet gamers with a half-baked controller and terrible marketing.

Having said that, they still showed signs of brilliance in this regard with Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon, but the console was already doomed.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Things can change with time you know. The 3DS and the WiiU started as much better machines iirc.

You don't recall correctly. We don't know if a better GPU or CPU was really planned for Wii U at any point, and 3DS with Tegra 2 would have had similar performance to what we got (though with a more modern architecture).

antonz

Nintendo was considering a very large handheld before and only backed off of it because the tech was too expensive. In the last 6 years or so since they considered the Large Handheld the tech they discussed as being too expensive have become cheap and they can now deliver on the original premise and from what's been rumored that seems to be exactly what NX is aiming to do. The fact a handheld with dimensions as large as the Wii U Gamepad was on the drawing board should open peoples eyes to the fact they can look beyond the constraints of a 3DS sized device.

Nintendo was considering a very large handheld before and only backed off of it because the tech was too expensive. In the last 6 years or so since they considered the Large Handheld the tech they discussed as being too expensive have become cheap and they can now deliver on the original premise and from what's been rumored that seems to be exactly what NX is aiming to do.

This is true, and Nintendo would be wise to look at Apple on this point. You have to find the right time to bring a technology to market. Too early and it can be clunky in execution and the costs too high for mass market appeal. Too late and your competition will beat you to the punch. For all of Apple's faults, they seem to be really good at bringing established technologies to market at the perfect time to appeal to the consumer.

Plum

In all seriousness I ask: Do you think it will be possible that Nintendo will finally announce the reveal date of this thing before August ends???? I'm going crazy over here :'(

I'm going to pessimistic and say they won't. It's just getting ridiculous how long this is taking to get a reveal date that having it be more ridiculous makes sense.

I don't think that the poor execution of the Wii U is evidence that Nintendo didn't TRY to appeal to both groups--just that they failed on both accounts by trying to appeal to tablet gamers with a half-baked controller and terrible marketing.

Having said that, they still showed signs of brilliance in this regard with Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon, but the console was already doomed.

Oh they did. Splatoon is a massive success even if you don't consider that quite a few people thought it was going to flop.

Log4Girlz

Nintendo was considering a very large handheld before and only backed off of it because the tech was too expensive. In the last 6 years or so since they considered the Large Handheld the tech they discussed as being too expensive have become cheap and they can now deliver on the original premise and from what's been rumored that seems to be exactly what NX is aiming to do. The fact a handheld with dimensions as large as the Wii U Gamepad was on the drawing board should open peoples eyes to the fact they can look beyond the constraints of a 3DS sized device.

540 p screen then

Even though i havent touched my white vita in what must be 2 years or so,mi would still buy a psp3 lol.

I might also be interested in getting one and set it right next to my NX when I'm not using them! :)

I feel like we'll get an announcement announcement next week or the week after - then late sept for announcement.

Rodin

Sony does not care that Nintendo exists. Nintendo is nowhere on there radar, other than possibly as a guide of what not to do.

Sony always wins. You can't beat Sony. Sony is true shit. Is true shit.

Yeah, i really don't see this thing being less than 5.5-6", possibly 7. Even 5.5" is a bit of a stretch imho.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I have a hard time believing that Sony could release another handheld, but imagine if at the Nvidia event, Nvidia announces that for the next Tegra they've partnered with Sony. I think GAF would explode at the implications this would have for both SonyGAF and NintendoGAF. Chances of that happening are basically zero, though. :p

But I do think a Vita 2 could be a reason for Nintendo to be a little scared about NX. I guess we'll find out on September 7th.

Nintendo, please announce your event date this week. :)

antonz

540 p screen then

Reasonable. Dimensions wise they could basically put a Shield TV into a gamepad and have a working console with no need to underclock or anything. Nintendo could even pull what they did with the gamepad and sell the handheld with a 3-4 hour battery while having a larger capacity battery available as an optional buy.

MoonFrog

I'm kind of confused as to why the conversation is "oh no, there is no handheld market for Nintendo," and then "oh if Sony stepped in, all'd be golden." I mean after Vita, that's really the line people are going to take?! I get having been burned by Nintendo and having seen the PS4s success, but let's keep our heads on our shoulders.

Sony isn't god. Nintendo has more valuable handheld IPs, more history of success in that market, stronger handheld support (in terms of key, system selling franchises), etc. Sure, a PSP 3 could, hypothetically, beat the NX, but I don't get thinking that a) that'd be the likely outcome and b) that Sony wouldn't face the same shrinking market issues Nintendo is facing that everyone loves to go on about.

IDK, it reminds of when people act like the 3DS doesn't exist and all Japanese gaming happens on the Vita or PS4...people just have a certain Sony-centric narrative that erases a reality where Nintendo does exist and is a major player in Japanese consoles (for whatever that's worth :p) these days with the original Wii and the DS line.

Noi_

Banned
I'm kind of confused as to why the conversation is "oh no, there is no handheld market for Nintendo," and then "oh if Sony stepped in, all'd be golden." I mean after Vita, that's really the line people are going to take?! I get having been burned by Nintendo and having seen the PS4s success, but let's keep our heads on our shoulders.

Sony isn't god. Nintendo has more valuable handheld IPs, more history of success in that market, stronger handheld support (in terms of key, system selling franchises), etc. Sure, a PSP 3 could, hypothetically, beat the NX, but I don't get thinking that a) that'd be the likely outcome and b) that Sony wouldn't face the same shrinking market issues Nintendo is facing that everyone loves to go on about.

IDK, it reminds of when people act like the 3DS doesn't exist and all Japanese gaming happens on the Vita or PS4...people just have a certain Sony-centric narrative that erases a reality where Nintendo does exist and is a major player in Japanese consoles (for whatever that's worth :p) these days with the original Wii and the DS line.

Gaf is full of sony fanboys, what can you expect?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Presumably a PSP would play PS4 games on the go? I don't see Sony supporting a new HH....

I'm not sure how that would happen, given that the rumored Slim isn't that small. So I think we'd be a few years away from a portable PS4, especially considering that I can't imagine Sony releasing a handheld in 2016 or 2017 with a screen equivalent to their last handheld, making it likely 720p or more, which means its GPU would probably need to be pretty similar to the PS4's to handle its games at that resolution. I don't think AMD has a product that could do that. Maybe Navi could, but that's a few years away.

Unless it plays PS4 games on the go like Vita played PS3 games. That could be possible.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
While it'd be great if sony did not exit the hh market, that's just wishful thinking. ..Wait, why are we discussing sony here again?

I know I'm late to the party but I just want to stop and take a moment to laugh heartily at whoever posted that shit on 4Chan to begin with.

I mean, there's some dumb but almost sorta kinda plausible stuff on that list - like the name of the console, or two Smash games dropping at once.

Animal Crossing: Election Year
is HYSTERICAL, though. That's the type of shit that only stupid falls for.

Speely

Banned
On one hand, I don't see the new PsP thing happening because Sony has a lot on its plate already with the Neo and PSVR. Those are in no way guaranteed hits, and I would think they would want to concentrate their resources and focus on creating a healthy ecosystem there.

On the other hand, I can't help but think this might be the source of Nintendo's comments about not revealing the NX for fear of features being copied.

Whatever the case, bring on September! I love hardware hype :)

ckfy63a

So, those of you who think announcement of reveal event is coming this week: what day of the week are you predicting? We have the Olympics news cycle ending with the closing ceremony in just a few hours, and of course Nvidia's Hot Chips event tomorrow. Will Nintendo try to get in before Nvidia and say something Monday (Japan time)? Or will the announcement come later in the week due to precedent? I'm going to remain ever-optimistic and go on #TeamMonday!

Oregano

It's not actually physically possible to have PS4 power in a handheld form factor. Unless its Laptop sized it's not playing PS4 games.

I feel that customers are going to be confused by the numerous PS4 / XB1 SKUs.

Back to the discussion of NX. It's Monday already and Japan is going to start working within one hour. Hopefully an announcement will be made by Nintendo regarding the reveal. We have waited long enough, don't you think so, Nintendo?

Is there actually anything of substance that people are basing the assumption that Nintendo might announce something on Monday about the reveal or are people just desperately grasping at straws?

jmizzal

So, those of you who think announcement of reveal event is coming this week: what day of the week are you predicting? We have the Olympics news cycle ending with the closing ceremony in just a few hours, and of course Nvidia's Hot Chips event tomorrow. Will Nintendo try to get in before Nvidia and say something Monday (Japan time)? Or will the announcement come later in the week due to precedent? I'm going to remain ever-optimistic and go on #TeamMonday!

Monday or Thursday

I can see invites to the press starting to arriving Monday, and then Thursday a press release

Is there actually anything of substance that people are basing the assumption that Nintendo might announce something on Monday about the reveal or are people just desperately grasping at straws?

Rumor is the event will be Sept 13th a week after Sony event
Based on previous events, next week is the logical time frame from announcement until event, otherwise they would be cutting it close

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom