• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
That would be a terrible use of the system! Why would you want to play a massive open world game that requires hours of gameplay on the go, rather than in the comfort of your own home?

People that don't own TVs or have much space for them? Very common in the US.

People that can only afford one tv (or a place with space for more) and don't want to fight with their significant other over it?

People who have kids hogging the TVs?

People who have long public transit commutes and little gaming time otherwise?

It's not for me. But I'm an upper middle class American with a house with a dedicated mancave/gaming room that I don't share with my fiance and drive myself to work. So I'd just play it 99% of the time as a console on the big screen. But I can recognize plenty of uses for portability for others.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I was thinking of that but maybe BOTW is just an exceptional case where they know it'd be a waste to release it on Wii U only and decide to put it on NX as well to push sales.

As of right now my concern is dumb anyway since outside of Let's Dance and BOTW we don't know shit about the lineup

Nintendo will make the same type of games they always make. Some will be "pick up and play", some will be more extravagant. The only difference is that you will only need one piece of hardware to play their full library rather than having to buy two.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I would be surprised if Nintendo at some point doesn't release a cheaper home-only version of NX without screen and battery.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
U6NI10ph.jpg

Ok, updated the concept.

Too expensive most likely, but feasible. Wouldn't be a terrible shame though to not have a real D-Pad. No reason that the left side controller can't use that for the four face buttons instead of actually having face buttons.

wapplew

Game design philosophy will be interesting in this one.
They can make hybrid hardware, but can they make hybrid games that fit both on the go and on the couch?

HotHamBoy

I think a solution like this one
phonejoy-gamepad-smartphone-controller-p50072-300.jpg

is more realistic/wise/better than two completely untied controller parts.

But it doesn't work as a Two Player on-the-go solution, which I presume is the point. Nintendo has a slew of controller options for the home docked set up.

Drencrom

Physically? I'm picturing it as a 6-7" tablet. Comparable to a Wii U GamePad with the controller parts attached, an Amazon Kindle without.

I wouldn't personally be against it being Wii U gamepad size-wise but isn't that a bit too big for most people for it to being mainly a portable handheld?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Well, it depends on if you're looking at it from a console gamer's perspective or handheld gamer's perspective, which is going to result in rather bipolar responses.

Honestly i think most ppl dont really know what the X1 is capable off and think of the Tegra 3 used in the og Nexus 7 or something. We have a bunch of posts here where people seem to think it will produce worse graphics than what we currently see on WiiU.

~500Gflops handheld is amazing. But ~500Gflops console is not good in 2017.... Mixed feelings about this.

I am not happy at all really. Personally i don't care for handhelds, it's all about console gaming for me and yeah and console with specs like that is not good. Are third parties actually going to bother porting their games to it?

But let's wait and see what the final specs are and if it's up there with the current systems.

End of the main series from Game Freak. There would still be spinoffs, and maybe even a reboot by another dev. Game Freak might shift focus to mobile, current consoles, and PC. We already know that they have PS4 and Xbone dev kits, and I doubt that they bought them to make only one game. Perhaps they were preparing to part ways with Nintendo.

Ok, you've officially lost the plot.

Too expensive most likely, but feasible. Wouldn't be a terrible shame though to not have a real D-Pad. No reason that the left side controller can't use that for the four face buttons instead of actually having face buttons.

Yeah, I hope there's an actual dpad as well. I can't imagine Nintendo would completely cut a dpad off their controller after having it for so many years now (and making such quality ones usually). I think the "split controllers" will have a dpad on one and face buttons on the other, meaning they can be two 'acceptable/basic' controllers or combined to be one more normal one with a dpad and facebuttons +2 analogs,etc.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
History has teached us that price is ALWAYS a key factor for the succes of a console.

I pesonally think that if it's over 300$ is DOA.

imjust1n

Banned
We allllll knew this would be a hybrid Console from right in the beginning.
On thing that I think is odd is that there will not be a base home console its a dock for the controller? Also the power of the system just seems odd a K1 thats pretty dumbed down. Will the dock expan on the power I would hope? To upres graphics.

It depends on the game but I wouldn't really want to play a jump & run using a dpad for buttons.

MacTag

Banned
The video said that the PS3/360 versions had much more stable frame rates on Trine than the Shield version.
No it didn't, it said there was more variance in frame time (ms) but not frame rate (fps), which was likely a result of Android. The framerate on the game was a constant 30fps, and locked at 1080p while PS3 and 360 had to use dynamic resolution in order to maintain 30fps.

DNAbro

End of the main series from Game Freak. There would still be spinoffs, and maybe even a reboot by another dev. Game Freak might shift focus to mobile, current consoles, and PC. We already know that they have PS4 and Xbone dev kits, and I doubt that they bought them to make only one game. Perhaps they were preparing to part ways with Nintendo.

no

Rncewind

I am not happy at all really. Personally i don't care for handhelds, it's all about console gaming for me and yeah and console with specs like that is not good. Are third parties actually going to bother porting their games to it?

Ports for Tegra when PC/Ps4/One using arm/x86? + nintendo system?

not gonna happening

EVH

So is this really confirmed?

For me, this sounds a bit crazy, to be honest. And the fact that its been ages since I didnt see somebody playing a handheld outside makes it even worse. Personaly, the obvious lack on performance for the device will also affect the number of ports / third parties, but I guess Tegra is pretty easy to code for too, so really mixed feelings.

Sounds like a really great concept that most probably could end up being a mess.

If the thing with the base dock is true, would be cool if they just released another one in the future that is able to make the console more powerful and act like a real console.

Lutherian

At least, Nintendo can now run PC games from 2003 at 60 FPS like DooM 3 (witch runs on nVidia Tegra X1 on the Shield TV).

I hope this is not true. At all.

AmyS

~500Gflops handheld is amazing. But ~500Gflops console is not good in 2017.... Mixed feelings about this.

That is true. However, perhaps the entire story hasn't been told. The Supplemental Computing Device is a patent with great potential. Nintendo was quick to get that patent approved after part of it was rejected. Seems to me they might not have bothered if they didn't have plans for it to become a product. I doubt Eurogamer knows everything. We'll see.

So the overall system sounds like it will be in four pieces:

Left:
*Control Stick
*Dpad
*L button
*Maybe trigger
*Maybe system buttons
*Maybe battery/charge port (for console mode)
*Latch and port to connect to Middle piece for handheld mode and Right piece for console mode

Middle:
*The brains (NX card port, SD card port, processing, wireless)
*Ports on left and right sides to connect to Left and Right pieces
*Screen
*Speakers
*Maybe system buttons
*Battery
*Charge port and port to connect to Base

Right:
*Control stick
*ABXY buttons
*R button
*Maybe trigger
*Maybe system buttons
*Maybe battery/charge port (for console mode)
*Latch and port like Left piece

Base:
*HDMI out
*Port to connect to Middle piece (console mode)
*Maybe charge port for controller (Left+Right)
*Maybe USBs for additional memory/charging multiple controllers
*Power port

I'm going to miss DS family BC if that part is true. RIP best systems of all time.

It'd be great if the detachable controller parts had a similar feel to the Wiimote. That way it's curved a bit and would feel better both connected to the handheld and as a standalone controller.

So much for the NX version of Breath of the Wild being vastly superior, running at 4k etc.

The layout looks like the Wii U Gamepad, which I find very comfortable because of the finger shelf that sticks out the back. Since this is meant to be a portable I don't see it being able to have that same comfortable form factor.

The PSP Go already did the portable/console years ago. While the Go is seen as a historical joke by most, this will be seen as bold and inventive just because it says "Nintendo" on it.

I dont get it

Isnt like the majority of NeoGAF complaining about the zealous and fast transition to 4K by Neo and Scorpio?

I dont think people even know what they want anymore... unless you are a PC gamer with a little cash

You guys must be laughing at us everyday :p

HotHamBoy

Nintendo and I are all about symmetry. I think having one player with a d-pad for face buttons is too confusing.

I personally think it's going to come in at $250, Nintendo hasn't learned a damn thing.

Sounds much better than just being a weak console.
I like what I've heard so far though I'm not sure about certain aspects.
A potentially really interesting aspect is the parent for chain linking systems. Maybe you plug in the handheld to a dock and it powers it up to play at higher frame rate and resolutions.
Nintendo could release new docks every year or so as well to keep the hardware up to snuff. Kind of a return to the console add on era...but not as lame, I guess.
Buying a dock should be a whole lot cheaper than a console upgrade

Kathian

Banned
Base Station and Unit are pretty much my dream answer. Tegra still is a big surprise to me; Nvidia must be offering a good deal.

September does not shock me either, all the 3DS models launched quickly.

OmegaFax

NX will probably use a custom big.Little configuration and downclock RAM and GPU when it's not connected to a TV. It's the only way I can think of this working because you can't take a Tegra chip from Nvidia's Shield console and throw it in a portable + expect speed and battery life. I'd be surprised if the NX had one consistent running mode regardless of how it's set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom