• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutFox

Banned
73781_2.PNG

:p

TM94

This sounds terrible on just about every level.

Hate portable gaming, I have no use for it in my life.

The lack of power is predictable yes, but still massively disappointing.

I really thought the NX would be the one to pull me back into Nintendo.

Guess not.

People are seriously happy about it? you do remember this is the main console right? not just a handheld, it's suppose to replace the WiiU, and it's underpowered and using carts, great!

Forget 3rf party support for the next good years.

If you have a PS4, or an Xbone, why would you care about 3rd party support? You already have it!

Flare

What part of, "NB: not Nintendo's illustration, but useful pic of concept)" are you guys not understanding?

yeah because that image is a great to judge how comfortable it is

I understand it's a concept. I also understand that it's based on what it may look like and the design may change. However Nintendo's track record when it comes to comfort in the last 5-10 years is not exactly impressive.

The Wiimote was alright in its default position but in its horizontal orientation it was horrible. The DS was alright but it was still uncomfortable to hold and play for extended durations. The 3DS was worse, and the Gamepad isn't very comfortable either. The only controller they got right was the Wii U Pro controller.

I overreacted clearly, the design might change etc etc. But like I said, they don't make very comfortable controllers or handhelds. It's all subjective of course.

kswiston

5 years is a long time when it comes to technological advancement. The idea that they could make a portable Wii U with a bit more juice and a lot more RAM at an affordable price isn't particularly far-fetched. It's not going to be PS4/XBO levels, but it's not hard to beat Wii U technology now.

Wii U wasnt even particularly powerful when it was released.

Vita is going to be 5 years old by the time the NX releases. Unless I am misremembering, the Vita was made so that it wouldnt be a huge loss leader even at release. Take away the fancy screen and it would have been even cheaper than it was.

Does anyone doubt that a handheld a generation more advanced than the Vita couldnt out-perform the Wii U?

It's anything but smart at the moment. With how much Microsoft is still floundering this generation it could have been Their time to swoop in and come out with a bang. But instead they are going to almost concentrate on region specific market of Japanese third party deals, first party and hope UK/US really like the device like they did with Wii.

Which I don't see happening like they want it too.

If you think a Nintendo home console can be succesful in 2017 I dont know what to tell you

Wollan

With neo and scorpio coming soon it's more important than ever that devs make sure their games scale well. To have your game playable on NX < XBone < PS4 < NEO < Scorpio your game needs to scale through 4 levels. Its like making a pc game that has to run on countless different configs. Except one's ARM... Yeah this isn't going to get a lot third party ports.
In terms of third-party support this will be another Wii & Wii-U generation.

rbanke

My off the cuff feelings about this are that since I almost never play games when not at home (phone filled with unplayed games, vita & 3ds with years old games untouched), this is going to be a thing I have to pay extra for stuff I don't need/want in order to play the things I do want.

I'm keeping an open mind, but any part of the package that is portable focused is just wasting my money, selfishly speaking of course.

WAIT A MINUTE, Pokemon in HD on my TV, oh hell yes, I've been waiting forever for this.

Edit: I hope the No BC refers to previous Console iterations and not things like 3DS/DS. That would be a shame, but I suppose they could build an emulator given the specs of the system to make it work.

DNAbro

With neo and scorpio coming soon it's more important than ever that devs make sure their games scale well. To have your game playable on NX < XBone < PS4 < NEO < Scorpio your game needs to scale through 4 levels. Its like making a pc game that has to run on countless different configs. Except one's ARM... Yeah this isn't going to get a lot third party ports.

Going to make mention that no one knows how the market is going to react to Neo/Scorpio. Maybe 3rd party devs are going to do the bare minimum with it.

dickroach

I hate this. I don't want a beefy handheld. I don't want any handheld.
A 2017 console being less powerful than the XB1 is dogshit.

molnizzle

All Nintendo teams working on 1 SKU. That's dozens of games per year. I'm fucking in.

Yep. Who gives a shit about third party support when all Nintendo teams are supporting a single device. System will be worth it for Nintendo's first party output alone. Plus Monster Hunter. Shit, latest Monster Hunter on my TV. Yessss

Jimrpg

Got called out in the Emily Rogers thread for saying the NX was a hybrid and being told that "we already know its not a hybrid"

Kind of annoys me when people do that when you know nothing has actually been confirmed?

To the NX, if it is a hybrid its greatly piqued my interest, it will be like buying two systems for the price of one and having all your gaming on the one console. The cross play / cross buy thing on the Vita and PS4/PS3 is really annoying from a gamer's perspective. Two copies of the same game, downgraded graphics on the handheld, cloud saves thats dependent on an internet connection. no BC is a bit of a bummer but I can see why. Hopefully they finally implement a 'steam' like account system so future systems are BC.

Zurick

Banned
Fucking lol at all the posters I would regularly see that were 100% certain it wouldn't be a hybrid

I'm one of those. I didn't see it coming. I had thought Nintendo was ready to move up with the times. I keep forgetting it's Nintendo.

Papacheeks

Banned
Nobody is doing hardware BC anymore is gamers are fine with this.

Actually with BC for xbox, playstation Now, and these architectures staying x86 or somewhere around there would say your wrong. Sony and Microsoft see how many digital games being bought now, they know why steam is so great for older games.

But hopefully we will get remasters of Splatoon, Smash, Mario maker with all DLC to help give people who never bought a Wii U a chance to play those games again.

clav

So if no BC is true, then I guess all that hard work for Mario Maker is going down the toilet unless Nintendo plans on making a Wii-U port. Everyone has to rebuy the game again.

Draxal

i don't like this one bit.

putting all your eggs into one basket sounds stupid. AND at the end of the day it's just a further exstention of the wii U idea....that didn't work.

I love handheld gaming tho so its fine i guess but not really seeing the benefit right now.

Nintendo's other basket is mobile.

Nintendo´s output is going to be insane. All first party games just on one device, first time Pokemon on the big screen.

Hopefully their execution is great.

I do think that their first party output is going to be beastly, which really matters in the long run. They don't have split resources anymore. The software drought should drastically decrease now, which is a really good thing. I don't care for 3rd party games since I have a gaming PC and PS4. Although, this should be powerful enough to get some ports. Obviously, it might not get the big guns like COD, but since Tegra has a modern chipset, we might be surprised.

AmyS

The News on Eurogamer states its a modified Tegra, so no benefit in such a comprasion

I'm using the standard Tegra X1 as a baseline since we don't know anything else, performance wise.

The final hardware should be a modified Tegra X1 or modified X2.

Honestly, I play Wii U 95% of the time on the gamepad. And I like having regular television on while playing my games so I'm glad we're going to get near console quality gaming on a handheld, finally. (sorry Vita)

Timeaisis

Well, I don't know what to think about this.

On one hand, a hybrid console sounds awesome in concept. But on the other hand, this almost sounds like it's portable first and foremost and a home console as kind of a gimmick. But it's hard to tell with limited information.

I think the detachable nature of the controllers is the most interesting thing here. So we've got a large screen portable gaming device, then when you get home you "dock" it to your TV, and remove the two controllers "sections" on either side. Now do you play with those two sections independently or with both hands at the same time (a la the Wii + Nunchuck, but minus the cord)? Seems kind of complicated. And what about additional controllers? I'm assuming they'll just support some kind of "Wii U Pro Controller" type deal for that, which makes the most sense. I could also see games make use of the two "sections" of the controller as two separate controllers (similar to turning the Wii Remote on it's side) type of deal.

I'm intrigued, but skeptical. As usual, I'll have to see it for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom