• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papacheeks

Banned
Spoiler: they don't want to compete in the core console space anymore. It's been a losing battle for them for nearly 20 years. It's long past time for people to let go of that dream, unless you want Nintendo to stop existing completely.

Is that because they can't or they don't want to hurt their pride and make full region company changes like the rest of the industry did?

maxcriden

So in review

Sell the Handheld with dock now

Sell a dedicated console later?

Holy shit you are blowing my mind right now.... but does that mean they would have to announce both to avoid people confusing this as the console?

because as it stands right now its all about the Hybrid being everything

That would be yet another dance for marketing

If this is launching in March, not really. Having a single SKU during that time will be fine.

During its first holiday, yeah, having a handheld only version might be ideal. Assuming they even go this route. I could honestly see Nintendo sticking with a single retail option.

OB, unless I misunderstood, you weren't saying an actual out and out console was one of these SKUs you saw as a possibility, right? Unless I misunderstood Rob, I think he was under the impression you were saying a full on non-hybrid console version was a possibility in your mind. (personally, I think if this is real, and I believe it is, there's no point to making a standalone console additionally.)

Watch the screen resolution be 720p lol. They released the 3DS with a 240p screen and Wii U 480p.
The old Matt leak talked about a 540p screen.

DId I misread the Digital Foundry article? I thought it said it was more powerful than Wii U.

If its Tegra it will be above Wii U in power but weaker than Xbone (likely). In other words it should be quite nice / beefy when looked at as a handheld but grossly under powered when looked at as a home console.

That's why I kinda think Nintendo really just view this as a portable system with the added "bonus" of being able to hook it up to your TV

Well that's great for a handheld, especially with the optional tablet form. But this pretty much means that Nintendo has left the home console space. This is about as much a replacement for your PS4/One/HTPC as a Vita is.

Kyzer

Banned
NX has a screen. Or am I missunderstanding your question?

You are excited about Nx for tournaments because you don't needs TVs, so that means you are planning on crowding around the handhelds screen ? Do people do that on Wii U? Also, we don't know if it will support off screen console mode , how many controllers it will support either

After thinking, I think the NX hybrid could be something that could push the game industry forward due to its accessibility.

I feel like that accessibility could influence Sony and Microsoft to do something similarly.

If the two controllers snap off the side of the tablet and can snap together the same way to form a controller on its own, holy fuck. I'm so in. Nintendo, I'm ready.

Yeah this is the thing that has got me excited. Particularly if it just feels good to click together.

Plus it massively opens up future control opportunities. Two control sticks on one side? All buttons? A PS4 style touchpad? They could basically adapt to whatever becomes the new zeitgeist.

I have to imagine it's also a good thing for costs. Being able to sell just the 'tablet' or just the control bits separately as well as whatever the TV out thing is.

And imagine a WarioWare on this thing!

Turnbl

Will post a few thoughts before devouring the GAF hivemind.

This option makes a lot of sense, keeps costs down, and avoids a probably by now unwinnable war with Sony/Microsoft in the tech war.

But with Nintendo, it's always the games and innovation that's the separator.

Surely it has to be at least as powerful as the Wii U or immediately the living room proposition will not make sense. Also if they can finally get a single unified 'buy once' library then nostalgic purchases will help immeasurably.

The split controller sounds relatively clunky. The size of the device will be intriguing. Clearly a controller the height of the Wii controller each side wouldn't be 'portable'. Maybe it's one chopped in half each side and plugs into each other for the living room? Maybe it's a controller we haven't quite seen before.

Also the tech in the device will be interesting. I wonder if Pokemon GO is an indicator of direction - cameras, gyro, maybe even gps for a new augmented world. Glasses or VR option?

In summary, being a new dad and needing to grab any gaming time on the go (even between sofas), and if they don't horribly mess up, then I'm in.

Mory Dunz

i'm pretty sure this is the same thing

I can't imagine there are many nintendo fans out there that bought a Wii U but not a 3DS.

3ds' best holiday was 2012 or 2013, I believe. it has been downhill since. peaking in the second year is not a good look. mobile is stealing the lunch money of traditional handhelds worldwide.

I doubt this will even sell half the units 3DS sold.

For what it's worth, I didn't get a 3DS.
And never came close tbh. Despite it being like 80 bucks now.

(If PM and M&L were better or FFTA3 existed I would've caved instantly >_>)
I've owned every home console since the snes though

My guess is 720p too.

Only one Nineteen made game on the WiiU runs at 1080p. Smash Brothers.

If you meant Nintendo-made, technically that's not true. Wind Waker HD also ran at 1080p, though at 30 fps unlike Smash. But your point still stands - Wii U was a primarily 720p console.

Sadist

Are there any rumours of this thing running an android based OS? I mean, it would be kinda cool if it could also play Pokemon GO and any other game that Nintendo puts out on mobile.
No. It says in the article there were rumors, but according to Eurogamer's sources it's going to be something created by Nintendo themselves.

deleted

Truth to be told, I didn't see this coming. I was 100% in the console and handheld as 2 releases camp.

I'm still not 100% sure this is true, because I don't see Nintendo only selling one piece of dedicated gaming hardware from here on out, even with iterations...

They have to sell me on this. Hard. If they manage to release the OS and the VC this time, it may be enough to get me on board, but I can't imagine this turning out good. Too many movable parts that may break fast, 2 controllers on 1 device that will most likely have an unpleasant form factor (like the Wiimote sideways- hated to have to play that way), local 4 player MP will most likely become an afterthought which is one of the main reasons, why I play Nintendo games...

We'll see. September is not too far away.

Is that because they can't or they don't want to hurt their pride and make full region company changes like the rest of the industry did?

Because they are pivoting their business away from a sector where they have had minimal success over the last 20 years?

Hurt their pride? At this point what are you even talking about?

dogen

How? The Tegra is very weak. Look at how it runs MGS: Rising. It can't even match the X360.

That was a poor port. The Tegra X1 is a 512GFlop GPU with relatively a modern CPU. It's easily faster than a wii u which can only do 176GFlops and is a much older architecture. This could also be using a hypothetical tegra x2 with a much more efficient pascal gpu and a better cpu.

thefro

Way too many unanswered questions to fully judge this, but it sounds like a powerful portable system that should have a great library that you can plug into a TV.

Twitter person citing gaf insiders (lol)

Or

Eurogamer

Eurogamer isn't even European anymore after Brexit

maxcriden

Re:

This isn't a home console, what about the heart rate sensor? Also didn't i read first you could plug a controller in it. Now again you have real small not comfortable controllers that you can detached. Like wii remote that nobody liked to play on as a standalone controller.

Not buying it.

I think the detachable controllers are separate. There will be regular ones also, and presumably one packed in (maybe no pack-in if the detachables end up being full size, but Nintendo does love to offer multiple controller options so I expect they'll do so this time also).

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I don't mean it like that - like things can't change - I just mean it got me thinking in general. What defines a hybrid system? What is the one thing that makes it not just a 'handheld with hdmi out.' what's the difference?

I would say that it goes from handheld with HDMI output to hybrid, if it offers local multiplayer with one device and several controllers.

OB, unless I misunderstood, you weren't saying an actual out and out console was one of these SKUs you saw as a possibility, right? Unless I misunderstood Rob, I think he was under the impression you were saying a full on non-hybrid console version was a possibility in your mind. (personally, I think if this is real, and I believe it is, there's no point to making a standalone console additionally.)

Yeah, he must have misunderstood me. I don't think a more powerful, standalone console is happening. An additional SKU could only include the handheld component, for example. This could be useful for families who want multiple devices, but don't need more than one docking station. Or for consumers who just want a portable console.

jabuseika

On the one hand, Zelda on a handheld.

On the other, I'm done with carrying around a portable, is too much hassle, the battery life will need to be amazing.

Hilarion

2. Could it be possible for Nintendo to change to the Tegra X2, or would this be already to late because of final production of the Nintendo NX SKU's and the worldwide launch of the Nintendo NX in March 2017?

Eurogamer themselves brought this up in the article, because they said that the devkits had fans in them, and clearly no handheld is going to have a fan in it. They speculated that the devkits could have X1s overclocked to X2 specs.

OryoN

What about the possibility that the handheld device could actually have a second GPU on board(or just one, running in a significantly 'reduced state' while mobile), completely offline unless in docked mode? That would solve any latency issues involved it housing extra CPU/GPU in the docking station, provide admirable processing power in console mode, while still having decent battery life in mobile mode.

It may explain why Nintendo have been researching similar architecture for console and mobile, even though it is now revealed that - in all likelihood - it's just one hybrid device.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
You are excited about Nx for tournaments because you don't needs TVs, so that means you are planning on crowding around the handhelds screen ? Do people do that on Wii U? Also, we don't know if it will support off screen console mode , how many controllers it will support either

The tread topic says Tv out...

LordRaptor

What are the big changes made by whats left of the dedicated gaming hardware industry?
The Western third parties are exactly the same as they always have been. they've basically forced their methods to be the only viable ones left, by upping production costs and squeezing out the midtier.
The Japanese third parties changed all right - they said "fuck this, we out".

jmdajr

If you meant Nintendo-made, technically that's not true. Wind Waker HD also ran at 1080p, though at 30 fps unlike Smash. But your point still stands - Wii U was a primarily 720p console.

Guess that random reddit post I found was (sorta) wrong.
edit: Nope I read wrong.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U is the only Wii U exclusive game with native 1080p resolution and 60 FPS. There are some third party titles, like Rayman Legends for example, that are 1080p and 60 FPS, but most are only interested in exclusives and not in multiplatform titles (when talking about resolution & framerates).

Here's a list of exclusive Wii U retail games:

Bayonetta: 720p & 60 FPS (some struggles)

Bayonetta 2: 720p & 60 FPS (some struggles)

Captain Toad - Treasure Tracker: 720p & 60 FPS (same engine as SM3DW)

Donkey Kong Country - Tropical Freeze: 720p & 60 FPS

Game & Wario: 720p & 60 FPS

Hyrule Warrios: 720p & 30 FPS (struggles) / 480p & 30 FPS during co-op (struggles)

Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush: 720p & 60 FPS (edit: could be 1080p & 30 FPS due to its "clay"-style).

LEGO City - Undercover: 720p & 30 FPS

Mario Kart 8: 720p & 60 FPS

Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games: 720p & 60 FPS

New Super Mario Bros. U: 720p & 60 FPS

New Super Luigi U: 720p & 60 FPS

Nintendo Land: 720p & 60 FPS

Pikmin 3: 720p & 30 FPS

Sonic Boom - Rise of Lyric: 720p & 30 FPS (struggling)

Sonic Lost World: 720p & 60 FPS

Splatoon: 720p & 60 FPS

Super Mario 3D World: 720p & 60 FPS

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U: 1080p & 60 FPS

The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker HD: - 1080p & 30 FPS (minor struggles)

The Wonderful 101: 720p & 60 FPS (some struggles)

Wii Fit U: 720p & 60 FPS

Wii Party U: 720p & 60 FPS

Wii Sports Club: 720p & 60 FPS

ZombiU: 720p & 30 FPS

Oddduck

SMD actually had a huge leak that turned out TRUE. Eurogamer/Rogers have done what?

Food for thought.

Last year, Wall Street Journal reported that NX will be packaged with at least one portable device that you can take anywhere. The Eurogamer report backs up Wall Street Journal's report. I don't believe WSJ would publish lies.

SemiAccurate also believes that NX is using Nvidia chips.

Kyzer

Banned
What about the possibility that the handheld device could actually have a second GPU on board(or run in a significantly 'reduced state' while mobile), completely offline unless in docked mode? That would solve any latency issues involved it housing extra CPU/GPU in the docking station, provide admirable processing power in console mode, while still having decent battery life in mobile mode.

It may explain why Nintendo have been researching similar architecture for console and mobile, even though it is now revealed that - in all likelihood - it's just one hybrid device.

The console will have the GPU. People arent going to pay for a dormant gpu in their handheld

It will just use their Wii U streaming tech and stream the image to the handheld instead of vice versa

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Most families aren't going to be purchasing three of NXs in March. Nintendo can easily get away with having a single SKU with all the hardware components during that time period.

If NX takes off then yeah, I could see a handheld-only option being offered in the future.

The NX needs to sell units. There are way more people interested in the handheld portion if we go by the 3ds vs Wii U sales. Selling only the hybrid bundle would be actively gimping sales.

I can see them going with 1 SKU at launch, but beyond that they'd be leaving money on the table only selling the more expensive bundle hybrid SKU.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I wasn't talking about backwards compatibility. I was talking about Nintendo having one platform vs two and concentrating the flow of titles into one system. That's stunning stuff right there.

It's replacing both the 3DS and the Wii U. That's one hell of a deal for me given that between the two of them they're all I play anymore.

That's the real key here. When you're a company that has niche market appeal, albeit a very large niche, you can't split that market in two like they have been.

It's great when you hit it by with both like the Wii and DS. But that's a rare event. GameCube/GBA and Wii U 3DS scenarios are much more likely.

If this succeeds they they solve that problem and can sell ALL their games and accompany DLC and Amiibo to console fans, portable fans and those who like both.
They could bump up attach rates and revenue dramatically if it sells even moderately well.

I mean Splatoon has sold what, 3 million to an I nstall base of 13ish million? Imagine what it could sell if it had came out on a hybrid device with say a 65ish million install base (guesstimating what we'd get combining 3DS only Wii U only and owning both together).

That's what Nintendo is hoping to achieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom