• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Playground Games developing Fable reboot

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
VDJfZjE.gif
giphy.gif

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Already posted in another thread

Last edited:

evanft

Is Fable even worth bringing back? I played the first couple games but they were pretty standard action RPGs for the time.

cormack12

Gold Member
Leonardo-DiCaprio-Django-Unchained-You-Had-my-Curiosity.gif

Is Fable even worth bringing back? I played the first couple games but they were pretty standard action RPGs for the time.

Yeah, especially if they're trying to win back a sizeable portion of the defectors. What will be interesting is the tone they go for. This is good, just hope it's not two years out. If it's launch ready then MS mean business I think.

Flintty

That’s a fuck yes from me.

In the way that GTA has a terrible control scheme but you can overlook that due to the fun gameplay loop, Fable’s shortcomings have always been easy for me to overlook because of the quirky humour and the world they created. I’m one of the five people who really liked Fable 3 though so make of that what you will.

pr0cs

Is Fable even worth bringing back?
On paper maybe not, but looking at Playground Games, the devs that for many people re-launched the racing genre, there is a lot of interest if they can work their magic on the RPG genre.
Fable 1 was fine, overhyped by Molyneux but that was par for the course with him by then
Fable 2 was great, it had it's hiccups but it was a solid entry and set the tone for the Fable games, with luck Playground will use this game as a template for setting the scene/worldbuilding

It makes sense to pick an existing property that at least at one time had a decent following. Personally I think I'm most excited about seeing Playground do something OUTSIDE of racing, of all the Microsoft "new things" we have heard rumors about.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Fable was nice when it was nice... but it's so generic, it feels like a waste of effort

hyperbertha

As if Fable was some well written game.

Bruh 🤣

RPG story telling standards are astronomically different in 2020. Without a decent story, its dead in the water. Also from what I remember, the original fable was head and tails above most western games in terms of writing. The only fable truly derided for bad writing is fable 3. (haven;t played 2). Whats your point.?

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
RPG story telling standards are astronomically different in 2020. Without a decent story, its dead in the water. Also from what I remember, the original fable was head and tails above most western games in terms of writing. The only fable truly derided for bad writing is fable 3. (haven;t played 2). Whats your point.?

The original Fable miles ahead of most western games at the time in terms of writing? Are you drunk?

hyperbertha

The original Fable miles ahead of most western games at the time in terms of writing? Are you drunk?
Not at all. Care to give me some examples of these superbly written western games available at the time? Also, even if it were magically false, your comment is still pretty dumb, seeing as rpg standards has increased dramatically. Nothing wrong with expecting a well written fable.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah baby!!! Come on Playground, give me your Witcher 3 version set in the Fable universe. Three weeks to go until we finally see it!!! Can't wait!!!

Not at all. Care to give me some examples of these superbly written western games available at the time? Also, even if it were magically false, your comment is still pretty dumb, seeing as rpg standards has increased dramatically. Nothing wrong with expecting a well written fable.
Jade Empire, Shenmue, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Divinity, Fallout 1 and 2...

You're right in a sense though, Fable 1 had a unique charm and feel to it. 2 and 3 shit the bed and went OTT cartoony. 1, IIRC, was a darker game with some childish-like humour that balanced the dark.

Back when they came out I played Fable 1 and 2. They always seemed like A-Tier Family Action RPGs. I couldn't tell you anything about both of them from memory. Maybe there was something with sacrificing your sister for a sword or something? It always seemed like a Disney movie Tie-in. Something you'd really like if you already had contact with the better part of it before.

Is there anything to actually "reboot"? What's the important thing people would want to see again from the first games?

Back when they came out I played Fable 1 and 2. They always seemed like A-Tier Family Action RPGs. I couldn't tell you anything about both of them from memory. Maybe there was something with sacrificing your sister for a sword or something? It always seemed like a Disney movie Tie-in. Something you'd really like if you already had contact with the better part of it before.

Is there anything to actually "reboot"? What's the important thing people would want to see again from the first games?
That it's stylized fantasy and has some humor. That's it really.
Personally, I'd like to se them expand upon the hero's guild, so that we can hire our own heroes and build it up from the ground, but it's not vital for the reboot.

This is the exciting bit, though; that there really isn't much that has to carry over in a reboot at all. It means Playground gets pretty much a blank slate to create a AAA RPG. It's almost as if it's a new IP, so I am excited. Though I don't think they'll have much substantial to show, I'm expecting CG trailer, or something akin to Hellblade 2 trailer.

D3SCHA1N

Fable 1 had the best control scheme I thought, especially in terms of magic combat. Being able to access and cast 12+ spells with just a couple quick button presses was super fun. One of the few action / RPG games where the satisfaction of using the magic was on par with melee / ranged combat.

I hope they tone down slightly how your good / bad alignment impacts how you look though, I mean by Fable 3 you were friggin' sprouting angel wings FFS, so they should scale back on that and make it far more subtle, but I'd still prefer they kept a slightly cartoon / exaggerated art style. Over-sized hands & feet are sort of essential to the look of Fable imo. Paired with that however, if you're making a game with swords & battle axes, we'd better be able to chop off heads, I mean, c'mon, but with a cartoon-ish art style, the humor in it could come through.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Nothing strange to renew the trademark guys !

But my body is ready for a new and next gen Fable, BRING IT MICROSOFT !!

IllustriousFlashyEasteuropeanshepherd-size_restricted.gif

I stan Fable 1, as I was young enough at the time to know nothing about Molyneux or any of his false promises so I just played the game for what it was and loved it. Finished it like 20+ times. If they can recapture the charm of the first game but with some more modern gameplay and graphics, it could be a huge hit. Fingers crossed.

Flintty

Fucking excited. I keep saying it (because it’s true), MS shat the bed this gen with Fable. Legends was a disaster that was rightfully cancelled. Dunno if MS or LH we’re responsible for that direction but it was a shit move.

10 years since the last proper Fable game is fucking criminal negligence of a great IP.

replicant-

I never gave the Fable franchise a chance. Will definitely play this one.

You should do, especially Fable 2. I’m sure the trilogy are backward compat and maybe on GP.

I like Fable because it is fun and quite British. I appreciate the regional accents when I hope the new game retains. It should do being Playground are Brits.

FUBARx89

I always liked the Fable games, the end of 3 was piss poor with the whole money thing dropped in, but was still a decent game regardless.

Hopefully they'll do a new one justice rather than that......thing they announced a few years back.

But, answer me this, will the press releases ever be the same without Molyunex hyping the ever loving shit out of it with ridiculous promises?

Batiman

Banned
Can’t wait for this game and Infinite. Fable 1 is still my favourite. Just expand on the original in every way and make it limitless with how you build you’re character other many different outcomes.

I really hope they keep the atmosphere and humor, I'm all for some gameplay improvements but I hope the overall look and humor are kept. I do hope they open the world up more instead of making it linear roads that lead to hubs and actually make it true open world.

sixamp

fable 1 & 2 were great but the games were just way too easy. you could play #2 and basically never die. id love for them to make the next game much more difficult or punishing

MaulerX

I really hope they keep the atmosphere and humor, I'm all for some gameplay improvements but I hope the overall look and humor are kept. I do hope they open the world up more instead of making it linear roads that lead to hubs and actually make it true open world.

120 frames per second farting mechanics. Nice and smooth. And make use of the Series X's machine learning so that every fart sounds different depending on how the ripples of your anus are situated at that particular point in time. The rest will just be icing on the cake.

niilokin

In first Fable I tried to get the necromancer title by marrying women and sacrificing them at the altar of Skorm, fun times. That game had such a great atmosphere in all of the areas, the autumn forest might've been my favorite.

I really hope so. I miss the charm and sense of humor in the fable series. I can't think of many RPG's that are so light hearted in tone.

niilokin

I really hope so. I miss the charm and sense of humor in the fable series. I can't think of many RPG's that are so light hearted in tone.

Yeah I found it to be mixture of light hearted but also some darker undertones although in good taste.

This music sums up first Fable really well for me.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I never liked the art style of the previous games or their crude,tacky humor (oh wow my character can fart that's soooo funny :rolleyes: )

I hope this new one goes toward a new direction.

Top Bottom