• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Pokemon Stars Switch, confirmed for 2017?

Cartho

"what else we know could be on the way"

transformed to "confirmed for 2017" by OP for clickbait and misleading title

in their article which you quoted they say 1) what is confirmed 2) what isn't, so if Pokémon is the 2) I let you make the conclusion

Good job here.

Reading it more carefully... You're right. I'm a tit. Nothing to see here.

Mr T.

Banned
What exactly are you talking about here? The Pokemon models in Sun/Moon are as high quality as the ones that were in X/Y/OR/AS and are not indicative of anything. That's actually what had me fishy about the EG article. The 3DS Pokemon games have been using those HD models all along.

I'll have to look up the article, but people originally thought you could have any Pokemon follow you (running animation) or something. Eventually people said since the assets weren't used it most likely would be used in a 3rd/future game.

llexan

I suppose it's not too crazy to think Stars could come out this holiday as a Switch exclusive. Pokemon Crystal was released exclusively for the Gameboy Color a year after Gold and Silver with bug fixes and new features. They could do it again, maybe!

Interesting to see them still believing in Pikmin 4.

"As well as the games of the above, Shigeru Miyamoto told Eurogamer back in 2015 that Pikmin 4 is on the way and it's likely to be a Switch title, and not the 3DS side-scroller announced in September."

That's really misleading. In their reports they made it very clear that the Pikmin game's platform was unconfirmed. It sounds more like they're speculating that there's a second Pikmin game in the works, but the way this sentence is phrased makes it sound like such a thing has been confirmed. Eurogamer has done a great job with their Switch coverage and rumours so far, but not being able to separate facts from speculation is pretty bad.

Weebos

Banned
Can someone give me the quick rundown on what this Pokémon Stars game is supposed to be? I don't play Pokémon games so I have no clue.

Pokemon games have traditionally had a "third version", for example Pokemon Gold and Silver came out, then later Crystal came out.

This third version usually has a bunch of enhanced features and some changes. There was no third version for XY (or Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire), and Black and White got a sequel instead (though very similar to a third version in practice), so we haven't technically got one in two generations.

What exactly are you talking about here? The Pokemon models in Sun/Moon are as high quality as the ones that were in X/Y/OR/AS and are not indicative of anything. That's actually what had me fishy about the EG article. The 3DS Pokemon games have been using those HD models all along.

I believe the dataminers found that every pokemon had a "follow" animation too, such that they would be following the player in the overworld, which was present in the game. Which would suggest it's being saved for the third version.

Cartho

I believe the dataminers found that every pokemon had a "follow" animation too, such that they would be following the player in the overworld, which was present in the game. Which would suggest it's being saved for the third version.

Pretty much. They found "walking and resting" models for all of the pokemon, along with the 4th "encounter theme" suggesting possibly a new group alongside / to replace Team Skull.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
I'll have to look up the article, but people originally thought you could have any Pokemon follow you (running animation) or something. Eventually people said since the assets weren't used it most likely would be used in a 3rd/future game.

Oh, that's right. They don't convince me of a third version for the Switch, but they are interesting. It's also worth noting that Gen 4 remakes have been a topic of speculation, and Gen 4 has an area called Amity Square, where Pokemon could follow you.

Pretty much. They found "walking and resting" models for all of the pokemon, along with the 4th "encounter theme" suggesting possibly a new group alongside / to replace Team Skull.
Do you have a link to that unused theme? Music in general isn't very convincing for me because a lot of past Pokemon games had remixes or tracks that were never put to use.

Neoxon

If you played Pokémon Sun/Moon it's actually very obvious that the game was meant to be on a more powerful hardware. PokéFinder is only part of that.
They even moved away from using 3DS-specific features (Ex: no StreetPass, Sun/Moon's decreased use of the 2nd screen, etc.).

Malus

That's really misleading. In their reports they made it very clear that the Pikmin game's platform was unconfirmed. It sounds more like they're speculating that there's a second Pikmin game in the works, but the way this sentence is phrased makes it sound like such a thing has been confirmed. Eurogamer has done a great job with their Switch coverage and rumours so far, but not being able to separate facts from speculation is pretty bad.

I missed Eurogamer's earlier comments about Pikmin 4. Fingers crossed that they're right.

https://twitter.com/Inferno313/status/799728754075398144

https://twitter.com/tomphillipsEG/status/799641933824061440

Sheentak

I doubt a 3ds port is possible, the game struggled on the 3ds if we have pokemon following you around frame rate will be trash.

Spinluck

I doubt a 3ds port is possible, the game struggled on the 3ds if we have pokemon following you around frame rate will be trash.

Idk. I think it's a 3DS port, and that this game is also coming to 3DS. Just a hunch. I'd be surprised if they released a Switch Pokemon game built from the ground up to utilize the hardware, all while just having a Pokemon game release on 3DS last year.

Not that I'm complaining. Maybe this will give us a good idea of what to expect with Pokemon Switch.

Platy

I'm not sure I understand, what was datamined? I haven't followed things, really.

Long story short is here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGGGnh6myAc

You can find all the walk and running animations here
For example :
1-151 walking and running

Should be noticed that those animations were supposed to be used with lower poly versions of each pokemon to be used in the overworld, so it is not JUST the animations, but also an alternate lower poly model for EVERY SINGLE POKEMON. 802 unused models with 2 animation each

Kouriozan

I hope it's true, but I have such a vivid vision of a future where it's announced for 3DS and GAF's front page is filled with nothing but reactionary threads about how the Switch is done for.

You'll get that with Monster Hunter XX localization announcement, don't worry.

Neoxon

I'll say this- their original report was extremely specific. It wasn't just a "Pokemon coming to Switch later in the year".
They even went into some detail about it, & (as mentioned earlier) Tom Phillips specified on his Twitter that they heard that Stars was a Switch-exclusive (at least as of November). That coupled with this recent post kinda shows that Eurogamer is really confident in Pokémon Stars being Switch-bound later this year. And while it's not really confirmed, the guys at Eurogamer (as well as Emily Rogers) got through the Switch Presentation with their reputation in-tact, so they still have some clout in therms of what they report.

In the OP's defense, though the article does say "could be on the way," the way the article is laid out and the headline/title it was given is confusing. Not to mention that every other game in the post-release section besides Pokemon was confirmed. I can totally see how someone might get the idea that Pokemon Stars is confirmed.

Wiseblade

I just don't see Game Freak talking about a game that makes Sun & Moon irrelevant so soon when they have been selling so well. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Switch Pokémon title announced in November, but anything earlier would be really surprising.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
With the success rate of most of the Switch software rumours I'd say this is even less confirmed for 2017.

LordKano

Counterpoint: All the other 3DS Pokemon games ran like refried ass too.

This one is way more than the others. Pokémon XY at least only had slowdowns during battles, and weren't that bothersome. This one, however, stutters like crazy every time, not just during battles.

Also, it's not just performance. As someone said earlier, the game uses almost none of the 3DS's capabilities, they even removed a lot of them from past games.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This one is way more than the others. Pokémon XY at least only had slowdowns during battles, and weren't that bothersome. This one, however, stutters like crazy every time, not just during battles.

Also, it's not just performance. As someone said earlier, the game uses almost none of the 3DS's capabilities, they even removed a lot of them from past games.

X&Y barely used 3D, the streetpass functionality was a joke and Miiverse screenshots are disabled.

Only times I've really experience obvious slowdown during my time so far in Moon is during double battles.

And for all this talk about it not using the duel screens and touch, I'm constantly finding myself using my stylus while playing.

Wiseblade

X&Y barely used 3D, the streetpass functionality was a joke and Miiverse screenshots are disabled.

Only times I've really experience obvious slowdown during my time so far in Moon is during double battles.

And for all this talk about it not using the duel screens and touch, I'm constantly finding myself using my stylus while playing.

It's mostly the move from PSS to the Festival Plaza. It's a wholly inferior system feeds into the "Switch-compatible" narrative.

Asd202

I'm more interested if it's going to be on 3DS as well.

I don't doubt they'll want Pokemon on the Switch. I kinda doubt they'll do it within 1 year of SuMo launch.

Well Stars would just be 3rd version of the Sun/Moon. so it's more like a port with some extra stuff.

18-Volt

Add Smash to that and we have a pretty killer lineup for fall 2017. Already announced third party stuff (SMT, Octopath Travelers) have high chance to miss fall 2017, so I'm eager to see what this first party only lineup could do to hardware sales. I mean, Pokémon, Mario and possibly Smash. This has to move some numbers.

entremet

The Pokemon Company does their own thang, so it makes it was not at the conference.

Plus they don't want to cannabilize Sun/Moon sales. Game is still out and selling briskly.

Neoxon

The Pokemon Company does their own thang, so it makes it was not at the conference.

Plus they don't want to cannabilize Sun/Moon sales. Game is still out and selling briskly.
This. People shouldn't be surprised that we didn't get a Pokémon Stars reveal at the Switch Presentation. If I had to guess, I'd put my money on a Pokémon Direct revealing Stars sometime in the Spring before E3.

With the success rate of most of the Switch software rumours I'd say this is even less confirmed for 2017.
Eurogamer's rep is still rock-solid after the Switch Presentation (as is Emily Rogers', for the most part).

mindsale

I don't doubt this, but it should be noted that the 3DS' successor is on store shelves in 6 weeks.

You literally cannot buy a 3DS at retail in the US and haven't been able to for some time.

Pokemon Sun and Moon are not moving handheld units. There are no units to be moved.

I'd love a Stars release in mid-May to combat the Switch drought.

I don't doubt this, but it should be noted that the 3DS' successor is on store shelves in 6 weeks.

You literally cannot buy a 3DS at retail in the US and haven't been able to for some time.

Pokemon Sun and Moon are not moving handheld units. There are no units to be moved.

I'd love a Stars release in mid-May to combat the Switch drought.

Huh? The 3DS is still in production and I see them all the time here in Vegas.

AntMurda

Nintendo could have announced it if they wanted to, if it theoretically exists. But Nintendo was clearly more concerned with the first-half line up pre-E3. For the second half they just gave a very brief preview.

opricnik

Banned
Add Smash to that and we have a pretty killer lineup for fall 2017. Already announced third party stuff (SMT, Octopath Travelers) have high chance to miss fall 2017, so I'm eager to see what this first party only lineup could do to hardware sales. I mean, Pokémon, Mario and possibly Smash. This has to move some numbers.

Add (imaginary i want this port ) to another ( i want this port too) and you have pretty good lineup. But thing is none of these are announced games and waste of time speculating them.

Also SMT and Travelers wasnt announced for FALL 2017 so they wont be missing anything.

Grief.exe

Zelda, Pokemon, and Mario year one on the Switch. Going to be an impressive first year, especially if there is more to come.

otakukidd

Huh? The 3DS is still in production and I see them all the time here in Vegas.
I thought this was a little bogus also but I just checked. You can't buy a new 3ds XL from Amazon, GameStop or best buy. And with best buy you can't buy one with in 250 miles of me which includes Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati.

Edit
Game stop has some 2ds but everything else is sold out for new.

Top Bottom