• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer] Remedy on life after Xbox exclusivity

jesu

So Microsoft wanted to make Alan Wake 2 on the condition they would get the Alan Wake rights, Remedy didn't want to give Alan Wake to them for whatever reason. Now we'll probably never see Alan Wake 2 because outside of Microsoft, who would fund the sequel to a poor selling Xbox exclusive from 2010. That's very sad to read :(

No, you have misread that.
MS wanted an new IP, that they could own.

Thank god they didn't go with that deal.

Nothing like that is mentioned in the article anyway.

Part of me thinks that this was originally written as "lead zeppelin" before an editor changed it.

It's a common phrase in the UK.

Crossfire 1 was one of those generic asian CS online clones F2W.

How can they afford paying Remedy to make the Story mode of the sequel?

Melchiah

i hope xbox fans don't crucify me for saying this but it seems to be...

so far this gen, very few Xbox one exclusive has been gaining traction...(excluding the always reliable Forza, also KI seems pretty good). Even Halo and Gears has been losing momentum. Ori is certainly a 'sleeper' hit but it's not something that will cause brain to melt when a sequel is announced on the E3 stage. Despite the quality of sunset overdrive & Quantum Break, they seems to be duds from a sales standpoint. Recore seems to be a mistake. What else am i missing?

Rise of the Tomb Raider

On topic, it'll be nice to have a chance to play Remedy's games on other platforms. Although, I'm not sure if they're my cup of tea, outside of Alan Wake which I never got to play (laptop gaming is pretty much out of the question).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's not what he said at all in that thread.

I read it as there are many moving parts, the game would have to be exclusive for us to find it and they'd be stuck for another few years on a single ecosystem.

Perhaps I'm being overly cynical (though, frankly, I do doubt it considering Quantum Break), but, really, all we can do here is agree to (more or less) disagree.

Remedy wants a mass market audience. Hence they're going with P7.

Well, yeah, that goes without saying given the portion of the interview I quoted. ;)

Yah man...the 2 non-playstation insomniac games seems to have underwhelmed in terms of sales while the ratchet & clank remake actually sold quite a lot...no surprise why they went Sony exclusive again with spider Man

It wasn't Insomniac that went exclusive again, they were hired for an exclusive contract. The deal is between Sony and Marvel. Insomniac are work for hire.

oSoLucky

Any other example of Independence studio work with platform holder for ages and go multiplat success story?
Insomniac is only studio I can think of and back doing exclusive again.

Sorry if I'm late here, haven't read the whole thread, but Bungie.

nynt9

Going from Microsoft Publishing to some Asian CS clone and a game published by 505 games seems like a huge downgrade :(

Considering both their Microsoft published games took way too long to make and didn't set the world on fire, it's not really surprising though. AW is a cult classic at best and QB is just a game that has already been forgotten.

AW did okay I guess but QB was a commercial flop. Did it even get to a million sold WW? I think they've learned their lesson and won't make exclusives anymore and that's great for everyone.

But if the Remedy head says that they got some pretty good money from it...

For Microsoft it was a flop, there's no doubt about that. But if Microsoft used Remedy as a contractor, Remedy got their money nevertheless.

I don't remember what interview it was (Gamasutra maybe, or some Finnish magazine) but he said that they got enough money from QB to keep them afloat and that made it possible to them to grow their studio and start making multiple games at the same time.

Future is looking pretty good for them, only way to survive is to adapt and be ready to change.

Thanks for the all the kinds words and the speculation is interesting to read :)

Suffice to say, we gotta do whats good for our company and enables us to hopefully make the kinds of games we want and believe you want. All that in hopefully a sensible time frame!

Thomas/Remedy

Kikorin

Alan Wake is a masterpiece for me, same for Max Payne 1. Quantum Break (IMHO) is the worst big game ever made by Remedy, but is still a great game.

Can't wait for their next project (not the FTP thing).

ASaiyan

Banned
Who would've thought trying to sell a video game console on features other than gaming wouldn't work. Lol.

Interesting read. Sad that Alan Wake has to be ripped from Steam because of licenses.

ianpm31

I always felt like Remedy games would fit well with the playstation audience. Never understood why Remedy never tried to reach out to Sony

blakep267

Who would've thought trying to sell a video game console on features other than gaming wouldn't work. Lol.

Interesting read. Sad that Alan Wake has to be ripped from Steam because of licenses.
The features didn't have anything to do with it. The direct competition was $100 and launched at the same time.

Top Bottom