• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Rumor: Guerrilla Games working on open world RPG, too early for E3 reveal

Bundy

Banned
Eurogamer: As Killzone Shadow Fall gets co-op, Guerrilla plots future on PS4

Guerrilla Games is busy working on a significant four-player co-op expansion to its PlayStation 4 launch title Killzone Shadow Fall - but it's also busy working on its secret next effort on the console.

According to the Dutch developer, its next game will benefit from its creators having had plenty of experience with the finished version of Sony's console. It was a different case, of course, with Shadow Fall.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Guerrilla producer Poria Torkan said making a PS4 launch title was particularly difficult because the developer was working with ever-changing hardware and software - even though, as a Sony-owned studio, it was as close to the console as could be expected.

"The best metaphor for making a launch title is it's like driving a race car while the car is still being built around you," Torkan said.

Beyond Shadow Fall, Guerrilla is working on a new intellectual property for PS4, rumoured to be an open world role-playing game. This game has been in the works for some time, although Eurogamer understands next month's E3 trade show may come too soon for a reveal.

Back in September, Shadow Fall lead designer Eric Boltjes told Eurogamer this new game is "completely different to Killzone". "I don't want to say anything about it right now," he said, "but as a studio we do want to keep it fresh."

Similarly, Torkan kept Guerrilla's cards close to his chest. "It's really awesome!" he said. "It's exciting times. If I even say one word people will kill me."

Whatever the case, we can expect Guerrilla's next effort on PS4 to go one better than Shadow Fall - at least in technological terms.

"If you compare Shadow Fall to the first games on the PS3, so if this is like the first generation of games which are coming, god knows what they will be like in four or five years," Torkan said.

"Compare the first games that came out on the PS3 to The Last of Us or GTA5. It's amazing. That's the thing. We had two-and-a-half years to figure out what we wanted to do with our engine and one-and-a-half years to figure out what we wanted to do with the hardware. Imagine when comparably technically advanced studios get four or five years under their belts with the hardware.

"We'll get our chance!"

More here

There you have it, folks.
No "Guerrilla Games New IP" at E3, as it seems.....

nib95

Banned
Boo! I'd have loved to see what they've been working on. Oh well, when it's ready to be shown I guess.

Dinjooh

There you have it, folks.
No "Guerrilla Games New IP" at E3, as it seems.....

While "although Eurogamer understands next month's E3 trade show may come too soon for a reveal." doesn't inspire confidence, I wouldn't rule it completely out for an E3 reveal.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The fact alone that they are making a game completely different from the Killzones is already hugely exciting. Talented guys, I really wonder what they are able to do with a fresh genre like action adventure or even RPG.

Bundy

Banned
The fact alone that they are making a game completely different from the Killzones is already hugely exciting. Talented guys, I really wonder what they are able to do with a fresh genre like action adventure or even RPG.

But still.... :-/
It's nearly 2 1/2 years now..... and they can't even show a trailer? .... :-/

If a developer based in Amsterdam can release a game on time for a launch and have time to still work on another with releasing DLC throughout the year, then what is your excuse.....
Driveclub

But I am incredibly excited to see what they are doing next.

Bundy

Banned
If a developer based in Amsterdam can release a game on time for a launch and have time to still work on another with releasing DLC throughout the year, then what is your excuse.....
Driveclub

But I am incredibly excited to see what they are doing next.
Guerrilla Games has two studios, in two different cities ;)
(and no, not Guerrilla Cambridge)

DrZeus

Would love an action rpg from them with great combat. I'm so intrigued by this and I have no clue what it is. I can't wait for sucker punch to give us something outside of infamous.

Some Nobody

While "although Eurogamer understands next month's E3 trade show may come too soon for a reveal." doesn't inspire confidence, I wouldn't rule it completely out for an E3 reveal.

Yeah, it implies it but it also implies that they don't know for certain and they're just kinda guessing it's too soon. But I also saw shinobi say a title that was supposed to pop up at E3 would be at a later show this year. This new IP sounds like a major title, so seeing it at Gamescom would give us something to look forward to post-E3?

wapplew

What if it's first person open world rpg in Killzone universe? Still exciting?

Dinjooh

Just imagining an RPG with the graphical fidelity of Killzone:SF is mindblowing.

(Well, Witcher 3, but I wouldn't mind more of that)

GYNGA

That part sounds like a tale from Eurogamer's ass

Bundy

Banned
Yeah, it implies it but it also implies that they don't know for certain and they're just kinda guessing it's too soon. But I also saw shinobi say a title that was supposed to pop up at E3 would be at a later show this year. This new IP sounds like a major title, so seeing it at Gamescom would give us something to look forward to post-E3?

.... yeah, "Shinobi said"....
btw. he said he wasn't talking about Sony, MS, or Ninty.
What if it's first person open world rpg in Killzone universe? Still exciting?
Ugh... this would be beyond horrible!!! :-/

Liamario

Banned
Please don't make another Killzone. It's an average game with a sometimes above average multiplayer. You've created an interesting universe, but it appears you have no idea how to tell an interesting story involving interesting characters, within this universe.

sense

they released a title 6 months ago so probably an early 2016 or maybe even holiday 2015 title so maybe gamecom or spike vga reveal

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I didn't expect this at e3 but they basically have to make an RPG now. There is going to be such backlash if it isn't. I hope it has eurojank. I love that.

Sony has no wrpgs in its portfolio and it is a growing space so that would be Sony leading instead of following for once.

Bundy

Banned
Since when Cory Barlog's game is the only in development at SSM?
Yeah, btw. Cory was just starting/forming a new team and was searching for new people/talent.
Of course he won't show anything. There is absolutely nothing to show.

How long does it take to whip up a cgi trailer with a title and logo at the end? That's probably about the level of reveal you will get.

Interesting to see how they go with a completely different setting , I feel they never really hit the mark with the kill zone series, so at least they are trying something fresh.

Sintoid

How long does it take to whip up a cgi trailer with a title and logo at the end? That's probably about the level of reveal you will get.

Interesting to see how they go with a completely different setting , I feel they never really hit the mark with the kill zone series, so at least they are trying something fresh.

Maybe they won't people react with a "Oh, no, a shitty CG trailer with a logo!"

sense

Again: They have two studios in two different cities. Full teams!

while this is likely true i still don't see them revealing a new rpg game at e3 and coming out this holiday or early 2015. if this game is in full production for awhile the the best case scenario would still be holiday 2015

iceatcs

Yeah... This is definitely concerning. Hopefully this doesn't mean Sony padding their conference with PSNow.

There is nothing wrong with it because most games took at least 4 years to make, and their last game wasn't long ago.

There are many other studios anyway.

Hugstable

Banned
It's Guerilla Games thats working on an RPG right? Did they hire anyone new for story purposes or anything? Or is the story is this RPG gonna be Killzone quality? I really like Killzone 2 and 3, but I just don't see the guys who made those games making a decent WRPG story even by WRPG story standards. It'll be interesting to see though and I know that the game will still be fun to play even if the story isn't that great.

R_Deckard

Damn another ones drops from E3...
Patrick-Stewart-Just-Cant-Handle-Right-Now-On-Star-Trek.gif

Salex_

Reading that quote it seems like Eurogamer is just guessing, nothing is confirmed.
Sooo

No Sony Santa Monica game at e3 (confirmed by Cory Barlog)
No GG presence at e3

Yeah... This is definitely concerning. Hopefully this doesn't mean Sony padding their conference with PSNow.

You guys know Sony has more than 2 studios working on games, right? SCE London Studios, Sony Bend, Guerrilla Cambridge, and the other 1st/2nd party studios are working on AAA PS4 games.
It's Guerilla Games thats working on an RPG right? Did they hire anyone new for story purposes or anything? Or is the story is this RPG gonna be Killzone quality? I really like Killzone 2 and 3, but I just don't see the guys who made those games making a decent WRPG story even by WRPG story standards. It'll be interesting to see though and I know that the game will still be fun to play even if the story isn't that great.

Yeah.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-11-27-fallout-new-vegas-writer-joins-guerrilla-games

Curufinwe

I didn't expect this at e3 but they basically have to make an RPG now. There is going to be such backlash if it isn't. I hope it has eurojank. I love that.

Sony has no wrpgs in its portfolio and it is a growing space so that would be Sony leading instead of following for once.

Any chance they go after the GoT license?

wapplew

Looking back to the PS4 launch all access video, 4 up coming projects was brought-up.
GG project (may not show on E3)
SMM project (Canceled? )
That's left us with Sony Bend and MM.

Dinjooh

But...but...
ZhRRuvK.jpg

Again, from the quote in the OP - nothing is final. And either way, why would Guerilla even go out and say if they had a game to show? There's like three weeks to go till E3, they'll probably keep it secret if they are showing it.

Please don't make another Killzone. It's an average game with a sometimes above average multiplayer. You've created an interesting universe, but it appears you have no idea how to tell an interesting story involving interesting characters, within this universe.

I haven't played Shadow Fall yet, but I understand it was progress over the others in terms of depth and level design. I thought Mercenary was great, but like those before it, while the narrative and lore was interesting the storytelling was weak. I think Guerrilla's main flaw is in storytelling and Killzone is probably too tainted a franchise to ever be a huge success, so they're probably better off starting on something entirely different. I think their art is generally pretty great and I'd like to see a Cyberpunk RPG from them/

Top Bottom