• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Rumor: Guerrilla Games working on open world RPG, too early for E3 reveal

This early, after 2 1/2 years in development? Not even "trailer" ready?
New IPs can spend up to 3 years in pre-production with a small team no problem. I very much doubt full-production started before SF shipped. So while they have the basics nailed down, not much of the actual content is produced most likely.
So the game is probably "shitty annoying teaser" ready, but not "awesome reveal with gameplay" ready. I think Sony will focus more on the ladder this generation.

Hope we dont see another SSM new IP out of this.

2.5 years and not ready to show has me a little worried already.
2.5 years "in development" tells us nothing. It could have been 10 people up until 2014.

tasch

Banned
i'm glad to hear this. Killzone is just a mess of a game in my humble opinion. They really need to mature in their development and learn from other genres before they go back to make FPS titles because as of right now they just cant seem to get the most basics down.

Whenever someone says they will be or wont be at E3, I take it with a grain of salt. David Jaffe going on and on about how he wouldn't be at E3 only to come on stage with Sweet Tooth to officially reveal Twisted Metal sealed my opinion on future statements from other devs.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Whenever someone says they will be or wont be at E3, I take it with a grain of salt. David Jaffe going on and on about how he wouldn't be at E3 only to come on stage with Sweet Tooth to officially reveal Twisted Metal sealed my opinion on future statements from other devs.
Eurogamer reporting a rumor isn't 1:1 with a developer making a public statement.

sublimit

Banned
There you have it, folks.
No "Guerrilla Games New IP" at E3, as it seems.....

They just made an assumption they didn't mentioned it as a fact.They said it may be too soon:
although Eurogamer understands next month's E3 trade show may come too soon for a reveal.

Kinda misleading thread title IMO.

I think it would be good for the PS4 to have some great exclusives, but I have very little faith left in GG.

KZ2/3/SF were technical showcases but only competent games. I think Sony has placed far too much faith in this studio, who have proven repeatedly that their skill is in technology, not the craft of game creation. When you advertise a game by boasting about new abilities to stab someone in the eyes, it's pretty clear that creativity is not your strong suit.

I'd like to be proven wrong - but GG has done nothing to give me any hope that this will be an "important" game for any other reason than what, I'm sure, will be some very pretty graphics.

Rad-

I don't really have much faith in GG pulling off a good RPG.

I am interested in seeing the game engine however.

It could still show but it sounds like if it is at this years E3 it'll be shown as a teaser or concept trailer rather than a full reveal. If Sony is standing by their plans to show games closer to launch going forward then it probably is unlikely we'll see it.

Maybe a late 2014 reveal at the VGA's.

I thought as much. They just released KZSF 6 months ago and I'm pretty sure they don't have a separate team other than Guerrilla Cambridge who also released KZM last year. I doubt they have much to show after 6 months. Probably next year or in 2016 since open world RPG sounds ambitious and should take about 4 years, so we probably won't see it until 2017.

I thought as much. They just released KZSF 6 months ago and I'm pretty sure they don't have a separate team other than Guerrilla Cambridge who also released KZM last year. I doubt they have much to show after 6 months. Probably next year or in 2016 since open world RPG sounds ambitious and should take about 4 years, so we probably won't see it until 2017.

This new I.P has been in development for atleast 2.5 years, so they could possibly have enough to show off, even a teaser would suffice probably.

They have 270+ employees not all of those were working on Shadowfall.

StuBurns

Banned
Well, this isn't quelling my fears that Sony's E3 conference will be an anemic affair...
They have to announce Beast Souls, GoW4, TLG, GT7, MM's next game, Bend's next game, QD's next game, and a few others in the next couple of years, they can certainly still pack E3 without GG's RPG.

But...but...
ZhRRuvK.jpg

People need to stop listening to this guy.

This new I.P has been in development for atleast 2.5 years, so they could possibly have enough to show off, even a teaser would suffice probably.

I stand corrected.

They have 270+ employees not all of those were working on Shadowfall.

So is the entire team now working on the new IP or is the Shadowfall team working on their own thing? I hope they hired the guy who wrote Visari's speeches to write the major dialogue and speeches for the new IP.

Some Nobody

New IPs can spend up to 3 years in pre-production with a small team no problem. I very much doubt full-production started before SF shipped. So while they have the basics nailed down, not much of the actual content is produced most likely.
So the game is probably "shitty annoying teaser" ready, but not "awesome reveal with gameplay" ready. I think Sony will focus more on the ladder this generation.

2.5 years "in development" tells us nothing. It could have been 10 people up until 2014.

So. All these posts that keep saying they formed a separate team several years ago are just gonna get ignored, huh?

vpance

Based on what thuway's been saying I'm not expecting anything big shown this year anymore. Kind of thinking The Order is gonna slip too. Pop an ambien and set your alarm clock for next year folks, TLoU remake and DC are your saviors.

jayu26

Based on what thuway's been saying I'm not expecting anything big shown this year anymore. Kind of thinking The Order is gonna slip too. Pop an ambien and set your alarm clock for next year folks, TLoU remake and DC are your saviors.
Enlighten me...

StuBurns

Banned
I really don't believe Sony is going to completely bow out this holiday season, that would be insane. They're certainly doing very well, but not so well they can just not compete at all.

I am starting to get the feeling this is going to be yet another Sony show with few new announcements but all the insiders keep saying "they are just holding back. Just you wait" like we have been getting.

If it wasnt for the DRM and Price KO punches last year that show would have bombed hard. If they do the same level of announcements this year (A whole 1 new Exclusive boxed game!) then they are messing up royally.

Add to that the potential dangers they have trying to Demo VR which could be a train wreck and this show might be a disaster.

Sid

I really don't believe Sony is going to completely bow out this holiday season, that would be insane. They're certainly doing very well, but not so well they can just not compete at all.
What do you mean by bowing out? not announcing any more AAA exclusives for this year? I'd say that it's very likely.

StuBurns

Banned
I am starting to get the feeling this is going to be yet another Sony show with few new announcements but all the insiders keep saying "they are just holding back. Just you wait.

If it wasnt for the DRM and Price punches last year that show would have bombed hard. If they do the same level of announcements this year (A whole 1 new Exclusive boxed game!) then they are messing up royal.

Add to that the potential dangers they have trying to Demo VR and this show might be a disaster.
E3 last year is an absurd thing to compare it to, because they announced their games when they announced the platform. This year they didn't have a February event.
What do you mean by bowing out? not announcing any more AAA exclusives for this year? I'd say that it's very likely.
I mean only shipping DC, that should have shipped a year before, and TLoU HD this holiday is insane, even in their strong position.

Top Bottom