• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Rumor: Guerrilla Games working on open world RPG, too early for E3 reveal

Gurthang

Banned
liefeld-cap.jpg

OchNx26561.jpg

Aruhamel

Banned
Killzone is a successful franchise and Guerilla Games is one of sony's most technically advanced developers, now they are making a new IP where they aren't going to be making the type of game that you are (apparently) complaining about.

What's the problem?
The 'problem' is that RPG's are one of the most difficult genres to make and this thread is gushing with positivity despite the developer's complete inexperience in that genre and (arguably) not so stellar track record. Excuse me for expressing a healthy dose of skepticism.

SRTtoZ

So awesome, an exclusive open world RPG that doesnt have to meet some crazy deadline (i hope). Sounds like it has potential.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
They're great at pushing technology but their game design...leaves something to be desired. Although maybe they'll be better at RPGs than they are FPSes.

slash3584

After all the rumors going about Sony's conference im pretty sure it's impossible that it lives up to the hype (Or that it will be remotely as good as some rumors say).

I hope the "being on top" stuff does not make them waste what could be a legendary E3 :(

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Kudos to them for not revealing too early like a certain Division or Final Fantasy Versus XIII...

Hoping that open world RPG is in a futuristic setting. Enough with the medieval or fantasy settings. Give me a gritty sci-fi open world title that rivals Omikron.

It's not a big ask...

ReaperXL7

I hope this is not accurate, I am trying to keep my hype alive but it kind of seems like Sony's studios might just not be ready for this E3. I guess at this point I am expecting a focus on Morpheus as a way to differentiate the PS4 from Xbox One, but I am not sure what they could show if neither Uncharted nor their new IPs are even ready for trailer treatment.

Drive Club was supposed to be a launch game so I'm not sure it's going to get people talking as much as some new announcements would.

Yasir

Lol - I kid of course. But I see your point, that Vietnam game by Guerilla wasn't thrilling either. I'm also a bit cautious.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
They're great at pushing technology but their game design...leaves something to be desired. Although maybe they'll be better at RPGs than they are FPSes.
Yeah good point. Naughty Dog went on to make great narrative based third-person shooters after making platformers.

Some Nobody

They mentioned making a fantasy RPG like back when killzone 3 came out.

Still no teaser or anything of substance yet?

Did they?

A company that has only ever made cliched shooters developing an open-world RPG?

Yeah, I'm sure it'll be a guaranteed masterpiece.

Depends. They may find their niche here. They already hired a talented writer.

Whatever they do i hope it's third person.

So much this.

Hoping that open world RPG is in a futuristic setting. Enough with the medieval or fantasy settings. Give me a gritty sci-fi open world title that rivals Omikron.

It's not a big ask...

Co-signed, but fuck the gritty part. Give me some fun space exploration game without any military crap or "grit". Think "Farscape", but with a little more action.

Respawn

Banned
The fact alone that they are making a game completely different from the Killzones is already hugely exciting. Talented guys, I really wonder what they are able to do with a fresh genre like action adventure or even RPG.

Feel the same way

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
They've learned from the the TLG fiasco.

Say what you will about the actual game, but Titanfall did it the best.

The game showed off first at E3 in June. And it's out. You can buy it today.

That's so rare nowadays. Usually games have at least 2 E3s and it sucks.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I hope it's a dark fantasy myself, as long as it doesn't have excessive cursing I'll be happy.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Say what you will about the actual game, but Titanfall did it the best.

The game showed off first at E3 in June. And it's out. You can buy it today.

That's so rare nowadays. Usually games have at least 2 E3s and it sucks.

I liked how Far Cry 3 was unveiled: awesome unexpected trailer and out 6 months later.

If it's not coming out this year I don't mind them now showing it. We've gotten to the point where they only reason people want companies to show things at e3 and other shows is so that they can win fanboy dick waving contests on the internet.

Kyoufu

If it's not coming out this year I don't mind them now showing it. We've gotten to the point where they only reason people want companies to show things at e3 and other shows is so that they can win fanboy dick waving contests on the internet.

12 month window from announcement -> release is the way to go.

I wish everyone would do this.

They'll show a trailer but won't reveal a lot in my opinion.

Killzone had the bad ass weight system, thus making it the most innovative shooter of last generation.

The maps and weapons were actually pretty great in killzone 2, and that designer has been back with GG since shadow fall, which has good maps for the most part.

Uhhh, uhh huh.

Hmmm, heh, hhmmm, humph, pftttt, pffffffft.

Just no man.

Maybe he meant unique in a negative way....

There isn't anything controversial with that statement, Killzone 2 was great, its a critically acclaimed game, that is a fact. Maybe you guys forgot that and fail to remember the praise it got due to the more recent KZ games not being as good, but KZ2 was a monumental milestone in the genre back then and still is a brilliant game now and one of the the most fun I had with a shooter. While most other shooters try to mimic CoD or BF, this game did its own thing, GG should've never listened to some people because they ruined the sequel.

lupin23rd

So the game has "been in the works for quite some time" but it's too soon to reveal it at E3? Seems a little contradictory, unless Eurogamer means full on stage gameplay reveal.

Fuck, they should just pull a Black Tusk and just show a teaser trailer for a game that looks like what they want to make if they haven't actually made anything yet.

Dusky

There isn't anything controversial with that statement, Killzone 2 was great, its a critically acclaimed game, that is a fact. Maybe you guys forgot that and fail to remember the praise it got due to the more recent KZ games not being as good, but KZ2 was a monumental milestone in the genre back then and still is a brilliant game now and one of the the most fun I had with a shooter. While most other shooters try to mimic CoD or BF, this game did its own thing, GG should've never listened to some people because they ruined the sequel.

That's not the point, it's your hyperbole of "most unique by far" that's throwing me off here. I respect that you think the game was great and whilst I don't agree with the amount of praise it receives I did very much enjoy it's MP.

As far as "unique" goes, mechanically Killzone is not, which to me represents a large portion of what defines a shooter as unique. Titles such as Gears of War and Bulletstorn are a couple of games I think stand out on a mechanical level from last-gen, and while you may not enjoy those titles I think Epic deserve credit for trying to make something different. The Killzone series' main stand out of course is its setting and even then it's not like galactic war between two factions is unheard of. It's various additions of multiplayer modes such as Warzone was very welcome and I'll admit that that is one of Killzone's most appealing features, but besides that I really fail to see where you find Killzone 2 to be the most unique shooter by leaps and bounds.

You must also take into account that just because something is "unique" doesn't necessarily make it good. A topic that is often raised with Killzone 2 were its heavy controls and the issues players had with its lag-input. I realise that GG stated this was intentional but to me it just came across as lazy design as there was little disparity between guns. They tried to address it in Killzone 3, but instead we ended up with run and gun type gameplay.

I won't discuss plot or characters as I feel we all know what the general consensus is when it comes to GG's writing, although I will say that Radec was an excellent villain and
I think it's a shame they killed him off.

I'm glad that GG are moving on to a new IP, hopefully it does turn out to be an RPG as I feel that sort of genre will suit their talents best. Whether they reveal it this year is to be seen although I can't say I'm too bothered, they're better off showing it when they feel it's ready to be displayed as this will probably decide whether they'll be considered a capable developer. Not just some fluke, which unfortunately a lot of people consider Killzone 2 to be.

Salex_

You're still wrong as they're not publishing Lily Bergamo and GGXrd so 'they' have only 3 titles confirmed for this year.
"They" have those games only coming out for their consoles.

I don't know why you're being so dense. Whatever you're trying to accomplish is pointless. Go take a look at all of the exclusives that aren't published by Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft. No one ignores them or doesn't count them for their lineup.

I like Killzone, not played Shadow Fall but I will at some point. Was really hoping to hear about this at E3 but if its too early then they should (obviously) wait. Cant wait to see what Guerrilla have come up with though.

Santiako

I'll keep my expectations in check since GG has never done anything above mediocre for me, but more open world rpgs are always welcome.

Dusky

I like Killzone, not played Shadow Fall but I will at some point. Was really hoping to hear about this at E3 but if its too early then they should (obviously) wait. Cant wait to see what Guerrilla have come up with though.

I see Abigail is back, what happened to poor Fizzie?

charsace

Pretty much this. A year before release is when the hype machine should start for a game.

Top Bottom