• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: The best Zelda games, Readers' choice

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
12. Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link
11. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
10. The Legend of Zelda
9. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
8. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
7. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
6. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
5. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
4. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
3. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-02-25-the-best-zelda-games-eurogamer-readers-choice

Just glad to see link awakening ranking as high as it did. Easily my favourite zelda game. All in all the ranking was what I expected.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think WW deserves to be that high. Odd that Spirit Tracks is omitted, though I can guess where that would go.

mclem

I've not played Minish Cap, but I've generally been under the impression that it was quite well-received, and that seems oddly low. I can understand omitting the Four Swords titles for the sake of consistency, but I feel it really ought to have the Oracle games in there.

Edit: Oh, yes, Spirit Tracks. Didn't notice that was also missing.

JordanKZ

They got no.1 right. Majora's Mask should be last.

Hahaha, oh dear. Prepare for the incoming hate.

Skyward Sword is pretty much where it belongs though. I forced myself through that game. Wind Waker is in exactly the right place, at number three.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The Oracle games? Spirit Tracks? Four Swords?

A top 12 of all numbers is rather random. If it's not a top 10 at least include them all rather than looking like an incompetent publisher that doesn't even know all the games in the series.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I'm glad Wind Waker and A Link to the Past getting the love they deserve.

-shadow-

Majora's Mask should've been #1. For the rest of everything is shifted one lower (those above MM) andit's all good :)

Salty Hippo

Fantastic list. I think I agree with every spot. Maybe I would move the original Zelda ahead of SS, but that's pretty much it.

Nere

I agree partially with the list. The only ones that don't belong in this list are Phantom's Hourglass and Skyward Sword. Also where are the oracle games? Such awesome but forgotten little games.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Close enough I suppose. It makes me happy to see Spirit Tracks isn't listed.

Spirit Tracks is better at basically everything compared to Phantom Hourglass. Controls are fine tuned, dungeons are actually challenging and require some thought (PH is basically 'my first Zelda' in terms of difficulty), Zelda actually has character rather than the PH approach of completely butchering Tetra, the central dungeon isn't such a chore and has an interesting mechanic and it has meaningful rewards for side quests. I'd even go so far as say the train was better than the boat since you actually had to be engaged with the track system (least you die from one of the bomber trains) and was even incorporated with the final showdown. How PH got on this and ST didn't I'll never know.

Spirit Tracks is better at basically everything compared to Phantom Hourglass. Controls are fine tuned, dungeons are actually challenging and require some thought (PH is basically 'my first Zelda' in terms of difficulty), Zelda actually has character rather than the PH approach of completely butchering Tetra, the central dungeon isn't such a chore and has an interesting mechanic and it has meaningful rewards for side quests. I'd even go so far as say the train was better than the boat since you actually had to be engaged with the track system (least you die from one of the bomber trains) and was even incorporated with the final showdown. How PH got on this and ST didn't I'll never know.
The flute
Dungeons made easy enough for a baby to complete

Red Hood

Banned
They should have called it "The best Zelda games after OOT", nothing is gonna pass that.

2. Twilight Princess
3. Majora's Mask
4. A Link Between Worlds
5. A Link to the Past
6. The Wind Waker
7. Skyward Sword
8. The Minish Cap
9. Phantom Hourglass
10. Oracle of Ages

haven't played the others (yet).

mclem

They picked a wonderful reader's quote to end on.

But lets cut through all that saccharine stuff and remember some of the truth behind Ocarina of Time. "Genuinely magical game with very very little to fault," says Ecoplex. "Except the water temple which was like licking Satan's balls."

This is actually a pretty good list. I think MM should switch places with OoT and Zelda II with Phantom Hourglass.
But other than tha, it's pretty alright.

They got no.1 right. Majora's Mask should be last.

giphy.gif

Champion

My Top 5 is the same as theirs but the Oracle games cant get any love? They're better than most of the games on their list.

Top Bottom