• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europe gives Facebook, Twitter final warning on hate speech - CNN

Flo_Evans

This seems like fining car manufactures for speeding to me. Shouldn't the responsibility fall on the EU for prosecuting hate speech?

These websites are basically offering free platforms for neo-Nazis and other assorted white supremacists around the world to organize, coordinate, and spread their message. Something should be done.

This seems like fining car manufactures for speeding to me. Shouldn't the responsibility fall on the EU for prosecuting hate speech?

No, the social media platforms are publishers as a matter of law. To put it in concrete terms, the systems they provide are actively involved in the publication of illegal material, and they've designed those systems in such a way that only they can remove that material. Of course those who originate illegal content will be prosecuted, but that doesn't absolve the social media platforms.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
You are just repeating your same point again and again, while ignoring any real world examples of functional hate speech laws and stuff like constitutions and separation of power to stop that "now everything we dislike is hate speech" nonsense slippery slope argument.

I'm sorry if the USA doesn't have any of the two.

No one has answered my question on "what stops Russian trolls from using this against groups they don't like?"

I would like to see those studies about how banning anti semitism caused the holocaust.

Hint: They don’t exist.

Reminder that a higher percentage of Germans and French (and all non Denmark western european countries) have anti-semitic views than Americans.

http://global100.adl.org/#map

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
They do fuck all to improve their platform so anything will help. AI isn't going to solve every problem just hire people and make an effort.

Dang, Europe fighting to save America this time around. World War III: Cyberscape

Or you could just makes hate speech laws yourselves instead of expecting us to hold your hand! ( /jk)

I'm not sure if I'm joking or serious with that sentence, considering we just had a rather disappointing thread on the topic (I'm making it in jest here though).

But on a serious note: I get that US people have internalized fear about any kind of change and assume the worst, but the reality is hate speech isn't free speech anyway and to remove it is neither limiting an opinion of value nor very likely to abused in ridiculous ways since racism is pretty limited in its practical application anyway. If it were, the Supreme Court would have to end that real quick since even US laws are hardly vague on those matters.
There is no good reason for the US not to have them, except fear that 'something might happen', which is hardly a compelling argument. That said, it will take a different administration to do so. But I also wonder if the USA will ever get there at this rate.

It's also curious to see the difference between that thread and this one. So, you trust the EU with hate speech laws, but not your own? That's fucking dark, man.

Sec0nd

Feels more like fining car manufactures that create polluting cars. You could argue that the drivers are the cause of the pollution. But it's the responsibility of the manufactures that the pollution is brought to a minimum. And with these rules there is an understanding that the issues of pollution is somewhat inherent in the product. But trying to keep it as low as possible is being rewarded.

Same will be for this I guess. You can't have 100% control over the output of the users. It's, I think, literarily impossible. And the EU understands this. But these companies need a kick in the ass to do something to try and tone it down.

Bustanen

I hope that is sarcasm, otherwise, yeah, glorious

MPU7BEz.png

Social media platforms need to handle their T&Cs far better, but I'm not quite sure how the EU can just blanket fine a private company like this. I'm sure they probably can do it somehow.
I'm sure properly moderated platforms would rise to take their place in EU. Banning sites that allow terrorists and nazis to spew their shit is not censorship.

Mael

Reminder that a higher percentage of Germans and French (and all non Denmark western european countries) have anti-semitic views than Americans.

That was always the case.
Like seriously antisemitism has been going on for millenia in France.
To the point that one legal way to raise money for the Crown was stealing assets from Jewish subjects.
You also have a higher percentage of people wanting absolute monarchy in France too.

theWB27

No one has answered my question on "what stops Russian trolls from using this against groups they don't like?"

Because your question doesn't really merit an answer. Russia is already waging cyber warfare. Pretending curtailing hate speech on some of the bigger platforms isn't going to magically make Russia more dangerous than continuing doing the nothing that's happening now.

Slippery slope arguments are the worst.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be fine with the EU fining them into oblivion. They clearly have no interest in being responsible for managing their platforms, and the stuff we see more and more about Facebook and Twitter being manipulated make me think they are way too far gone.

I think the big problem is that tech companies just hate hiring people. They can't stand the idea of any solution that doesn't scale.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Some of you are fucking defeatists. We can put a man on the moon, split atoms and have greatly lengthened our life spans but we can't figure out a way to deal with hate speech on social media.

Late Flag

Some of you are fucking defeatists. We can put a man on the moon, split atoms and have greatly lengthened our life spans but we can't figure out a way to deal with hate speech on social media.

I don't follow people who engage in hate speech, and I ignore stuff that I personally find offensive. That's how I deal with it, and I find that it works pretty well for me.

avaya

I'm sure European regulators share your vision.

Lol. The EC has possibly the best regulatory regime in the world, the outcomes for consumers in many sectors are second to none.

US firms, like everyone else get into trouble with the EC for violating the law.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I don't follow people who engage in hate speech, and I ignore stuff that I personally find offensive. That's how I deal with it, and I find that it works pretty well for me.

Ok? What does that have to do with what I said?

John Dunbar

correct about everything

i would think the big problem is actually the people themselves, social media just helps to identify them. education probably doesn't work since that will most likely just produce more colin moriarties.

Audioboxer

I'm sure properly moderated platforms would rise to take their place in EU. Banning sites that allow terrorists and nazis to spew their shit is not censorship.

So you do support something like what China or North Korea do? You honestly do not think that is seriously far-fetched to outright start blocking websites at a Government level like Facebook/Twitter (and I presume YouTube, given the issues it has with comments sections)?

Something else will "just pop up" on the same scale/financially funded as them? And then what? We ban it's website address if there is a slip-up with moderation? Where does it end? Banning everything like China till it's some sort of Government ran internet privacy nightmare? https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/27/china-orders-internet-comments-linked-to-real-identities/

Plumbob

Lol. The EC has possibly the best regulatory regime in the world, the outcomes for consumers in many sectors are second to none.

US firms, like everyone else get into trouble with the EC for violating the law.

Notice how you praise European regulations, but you also want European tech giants?

Mael

What's funny is that we have AI that can predict what you're going to write next when you're writing a text and there's even algorithm that can accurately predict what you're going to buy and when!
But an algorithm that could recognize hate speech?
Way too hard!

Or you could just makes hate speech laws yourselves instead of expecting us to hold your hand! ( /jk)

I'm not sure if I'm joking or serious with that sentence, considering we just had a rather disappointing thread on the topic (I'm making it in jest here though).

But on a serious note: I get that US people have internalized fear about any kind of change and assume the worst, but the reality is hate speech isn't free speech anyway and to remove it is neither limiting an opinion of value nor very likely to abused in ridiculous ways since racism is pretty limited in its practical application anyway. If it were, the Supreme Court would have to end that real quick since even US laws are hardly vague on those matters.
There is no good reason for the US not to have them, except fear that 'something might happen', which is hardly a compelling argument. That said, it will take a different administration to do so. But I also wonder if the USA will ever get there at this rate.

It's also curious to see the difference between that thread and this one. So, you trust the EU with hate speech laws, but not your own? That's fucking dark, man.
I'm assuming the reason our government hasn't done more about this kind of thing is because hate speech on Facebook and Twitter helped out ruling party get elected.

avaya

Notice how you praise European regulations, but you also want European tech giants?

What? This isn't sports teams. If Google, Facebook and co were Exxon, Chevron and JP Fucking Morgan you wouldn't be going to bat for them.

I don't want European tech giants, I am not caught in nationalist drivel. I don't much care where companies originate from. I like Google, Facebook, MS, AAPL and the services and products they provide. What I am also keenly aware of is that they have routinely broken the law.

The US categorically has dog shit regulators, since they are so heavily compromised by an incredibly corrupt political system which is brought and paid for. Your government is broken.

Lobbyists find it incredibly hard to get their way in the EU because Commissioners are very tough to buy and decisions often need unanimity. You couldn't ask for a better system when it comes to Competition Law.

Good for you, you don't expose yourself to crap. But that doesn't stop the target groups of hate speech suffering as a result of, say, antisemitism. Even if they follow suit and ignore hate speech, they still suffer from the antisemitism which is spread by that speech.

Zubz

Banned
Well, I'm glad someone's finally making the steps towards fighting back. Hate speech shouldn't be protected speech; it hurts people by its very nature. And, as we're learning more and more, the only group that benefits from social media not curating it is the Russian government, so the more steps towards preventing people from riling up bigots with open-bigotry, the better.

Unfortunately a lot of the cool people you follow are likely putting up with the brunt of the hateful rhetoric spewed

This will make their lives and experience much bettet

UberTag

Too little too late for Facebook. I finally nuked my account for good yesterday.
Have to keep Twitter around due to its use for news and communications tool but that doesn't mean I'm especially thrilled with them, either.

Painguy

I dont really approve of this kind of censorship. If people want to publicly reveal they are racist idiots then let em. We can just point and laugh at em or ignore em. These kinda laws can be a slippery slope into sum real bad ju ju.

Just my opinion tho. I appreciate where those approving of this come from but imo the long term effects seem kinda bad. Its pretty easy to avoid things on the internet that you dont like. By doing so you also dont empower the racist idiots.

I dont really approve of this kind of censorship. If people want to publicly reveal they are racist idiots then let em. We can just point and laugh at em or ignore em. These kinda laws can be a slippery slope into sum real bad ju ju.

Just my opinion tho. I appreciate where those approving of this come from but imo the long term effects seem kinda bad. Its pretty easy to avoid things on the internet that you dont like.

It’s not censorship, it’s failure of American businesses to meet the existing legal requirements of doing business in another country

MJLord

Just my opinion tho. I appreciate where those approving of this come from but imo the long term effects seem kinda bad. Its pretty easy to avoid things on the internet that you dont like. By doing so you also dont empower the racist idiots.

That and I don't really agree with this notion that Facebook and Twitter are publishers and responsible for the behaviour of their users.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

No, we don't just let people abuse others so that they can be 'revealed' to be assholes.

That and I don't really agree with this notion that Facebook and twitter are publishers and responsible for the behaviour using the platform.

Good thing you aren't writing the laws, then!

MJLord

No, we don't just let people abuse others so that they can be 'revealed' to be assholes.

Good thing you aren't writing the laws, then!

Well yeah clever, but you've not given me a reason for this line of thought. How are Twitter and Facebook culpable for what their users post?

Top Bottom