• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europe PSP official 249E or £179

PLAYSTATION PORTABLE TO LAUNCH ACROSS EUROPE ON
1st SEPTEMBER 2005
PlayStation Portable Value Pack to retail at €249
London, 26 April 2005 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) today
announced that its highly anticipated PlayStation® Portable handheld entertainment
system will be launched in Europe on 1st September 2005.
Following the success of the PlayStation Portable launches in Japan and the USA,
PlayStation Portable will go on sale in the European PAL territories on 1st September
2005, available in a single version Value Pack, priced at €249 (£179). The PlayStation
Portable Value Pack contains an added-value package of accessories and
entertainment content, including the PlayStation Portable system with a protective
pouch, 32MB Memory Stick Duo™, Battery Pack, Headphones with Remote Control,
AC Adaptor, Wrist Strap and a video/music/game sampler Universal Media Disc™
(UMD™) including several non-interactive game demos.
A copy of Spider-Man 2, on UMD Video will be available free of charge to early
purchasers of PlayStation Portable, who register their PlayStation Portable and order
their Spider-Man 2 UMD Video through www.yourpsp.com, the official SCEE web
portal for PlayStation Portable.
PlayStation Portable features a 4.3-inch, 16:9 widescreen TFT LCD that displays full
colour (16.77 million colours) on a 480 x 272 pixel high-resolution screen. PlayStation
Portable also comes complete with built-in stereo speakers, exterior headphone
connector and a range of input/output connectors such as USB 2.0 and 802.11b
Wireless LAN, enabling users to connect to the Internet and play online via a Wireless
Network. Up to 16 PlayStation Portable systems in the vicinity can also be connected
to each other directly in Ad Hoc Mode, allowing for Wireless head-to-head competition.
In addition, Wireless capabilities will allow software and data to be downloaded to
PlayStation Portable and saved onto a Memory Stick Duo.
PlayStation Portable uses a newly-developed proprietary storage medium named
Universal Media Disc (UMD). This high-capacity optical disc is the next-generation
compact storage media, and although only 60mm in diameter, a UMD can store up to
1.8GB of digital data – more than three times the data held on a CD-ROM. A broad
range of digital entertainment content such as high quality 3D games, music, movies,
video clips and other media can be distributed on UMD.
“PlayStation Portable will revolutionise portable entertainment, giving users the
freedom to play full 3D games, watch movies, listen to music and connect wirelessly on
their terms, wherever and whenever they wish to do so,” said David Reeves, President
of SCEE. “More than ever, today’s consumer demands access to their personal
entertainment outside the home, without compromising quality. With more than 100
PlayStation Portable game titles currently in development worldwide, and the ability to
download and listen to music, and view feature films with breathtaking screen quality,
PlayStation Portable lets users control their entertainment options, all in a single
package.”
PlayStation® Portable Basic Specifications and Features
Product Name PlayStation® Portable
Colour Black
Product Code PSP-1001K
Dimensions Approximately 6.7 in (W) x .9 in (H) x 2.9 in (D)
Weight Approximately 280g / .62 lbs (including battery)
CPU PSP CPU (System clock frequency 1 - 333MHz)
Main Memory 32MB
Embedded DRAM 4MB
Display
4.3 inch, 16:9 widescreen TFT LCD
480 x 272 pixel, 16.77 million colours
Maximum luminance 180 / 130 / 80cd/m2 (when using Battery Pack)
Maximum luminance 200 / 180 / 130 / 80cd/m2 (when using AC
Adaptor)
Sound Built-in stereo speakers
Main Input/Output IEEE 802.11b
USB 2.0 (mini-B)
Memory Stick Duo™
IrDA
IR Remote
Main Connectors Memory Stick Duo™ slot
USB connector
DC OUT connector
DC IN 5V connector
Headset connector
Power Lithium-ion Battery
AC Adaptor
Disc Drive UMD Drive (Read only)
Profile PSP Game
UMD Audio
UMD Video
Codec [Video]: “UMD”: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Main Profile Level 3
[Video]:“Memory Stick”: MPEG-4 SP, AAC
[Music]: “UMD”: linear PCM, ATRAC3plus™
[Music]:“Memory Stick”: ATRAC3plus™, MP3(MPEG1/2 Layer3)
[Photo]: JPEG (DCF2.0/Exif2.21)
Security (Encryption) 128bit AES (Copyright protection technology)
MagicGate™
Access control Region, Parental Control
Wireless communications
IEEE802.11b
Infrastructure Mode
Ad Hoc Mode (connects up to 16 PSP systems)
PSP Value Pack supplied
accessories
AC Adaptor
Battery Pack
Memory Stick Duo™ (32MB)
Pouch (Black)
Headphones with Remote Control (90dB limited*) (White)
UMD In-pack Sampler
Wrist Strap (White)
Cloth (Light Grey)
* conforming with European standards
-ENDSFor
further information please contact:
Nick Sharples (nick_sharples@scee.net )
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd
Tel: + 44 207 859 5301 Fax: + 44 207 859 5036
or Helen Boole (helen_boole@scee.net )
Tel: + 44 207 859 5349 Fax: + 44 207 859 5036
About PlayStation Portable™
PlayStation Portable is a new handheld entertainment system that allows users to enjoy 3D games, with
high-quality full-motion video, and high-fidelity stereo audio. With graphics rendering capability
comparable to that of PlayStation®2, PSP features a 4.3 inch widescreen, high-resolution TFT display.
PlayStation Portable also adopts a newly developed compact but high-capacity (1.8GB) optical disc,
Universal Media Disc (UMD), as its storage medium. With a wide range of accessories and connectivity
options, including Memory Stick Duo™, USB 2.0, IR port and Wireless LAN.
Images of the PlayStation Portable system are available from the SCEE Virtual Press Office at
www.scee.presscentre.com.
About Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd.
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE), based in London, is responsible for the distribution,
marketing and sales of PS one®, PlayStation®2 and PlayStation Portable® software and hardware in 102
territories across Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Oceania. SCEE also develops, publishes, markets
and distributes games software for the three formats, and manages the third party licensing programs for
these platforms in the PAL territories. At the end of December 2004, over 39 million PlayStation® units had
been shipped across these PAL territories, over 101 million worldwide. Between its European debut on 24
November 2000 and the end of December 2004, over 29 million PlayStation®2 units have been shipped
across the PAL territories, over 81 million world-wide, making it one of the most successful consumer
electronic products in history.
PlayStation and the PlayStation logo, PS one and PS2 are registered trademarks of Sony Computer
Entertainment Inc. PSP and UMD (Universal Media Disc) are trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment
Inc. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
More information about PlayStation products can be found at www.scee.com, www.yourpsp.com and
www.playstation.com, or visit the Virtual Press Office at www.scee.presscentre.com.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Thats really shocking, I don't think anybody guessed that price :lol

u_neek

It deserves to bomb hard..
But Sony know they can buttfuck us all they want, launch it almost a year after the JAP release and still sell their freakin' PSPs

mrklaw

MrArseFace
its expensive if you compare to the US price, but then the exchange rate is nuts right now, and Sony must be really hurting to even get to $250. Compared to the Japan price its less extortionate.

Rhindle

A special note for everyone that thought that launching with Value Pack only in the US was a mistake: Sony doesn't think so. They're pleased as punch with the US launch and coming back for seconds.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Project Midway said:
damn the delay... its too close to Xbox360 launch... I dont want to spend ~€1000 on videogames in so short time span... :(

So import a Japanese unit from play-asia for 199Euro now, and save up for Xbox :)

mrklaw said:
So import a Japanese unit from play-asia for 199Euro now, and save up for Xbox :)
damn, didnt realize dollar is so weak already. 259 USD *is* only 199 euros. =) But then... ~24% customs makes it to around 246 euros and with shipping its even more. BUT the price from Play-Asia isnt the problem, I would really really like to buy it from here where I live, so I would be able to easily return it in case of dead pixels or other problems.

Or does PSP carry Sonys worldwide guarantee?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
You know, European taxes are high and dealing with the Euro can be quite a task but sometimes I think that Sony *could* treat us a little better given how this is PlayStation land.

Oh, well, that's why they are screwing us again, people are going to buy it anyway...

refreshZ

norinrad21 said:
PSP will be DOA in europe, they must be crazy if they think thay can get away with that price for a handheld over here.

This is Sony country. Unfortunately it will sell like the clappers providing further indesputable evidence for these unscrupulous bastards that we're willing to take an ass raping time and time again and sing show tunes for seconds.

marmaraS

i spent $429 on a PSP, game, memory stick (512mb) and screen protector and i got through customs without having to pay!!! if u go to www.videogamesplus.ca they do a good deal and they make sure customs cost stays down to about $20 so its ok to buy from the states (or canada)

Elios83

norinrad21 said:
PSP will be DOA in europe, they must be crazy if they think thay can get away with that price for a handheld over here.

Think about the PS2 that was launched here at 450€ ^^''
They will sell really well until the end of the holyday season.In Januay-April 2006 sales will dramatically slow down as happened with the PS2 in 2001,and then Sony will do a magic price drop that will bring the sales up again in a costant way.

Pug

Project, if you buy a PSP from Lik Sang or Play Asia, the guarantee is not valid. All you can do if you have a problem is send the machine back to the suppliers who should try to sort the problem out. Lik Sang will take defective PSP back but they are still trying to figure out how they get them back to JPN and repaired. This is one of the negatives of importing. By the way my PSP cost £185 including postage, and an US version of RR. Remember you may also be liable for import duty (sometimes you get away with it sometime you don't) and in my case I had to pay £44. As it is it seems that a game plus the PSP is going to sell for £200-210 to be honest with the games that are out at the moment it seems a bit over the top to me.

Koshiro

Nick Sharples (nick_sharples@scee.net )
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd
Tel: + 44 207 859 5301 Fax: + 44 207 859 5036
or Helen Boole (helen_boole@scee.net )
Tel: + 44 207 859 5349 Fax: + 44 207 859 5036
They're going to thank you for that.

Thanks Pug.

Lik-Sang could be the best choice since when I have previously ordered from their Hong Kong store, they still have sent the goods from their EU store. All the recent shipments (well, only two during this year) have been sent from Germany. I wonder if they are sending PSPs also through their EU offices so I could get away without customs? :)

edit: damn, immediately after I posted the above I read from Lik-Sang site they are using UPS courier with PSP shipments... so its very likely UPS charges the customs from me.

Pug

PM, I got mine through Lik Sang, it was shipped via HK to Germany then onto the UK. So nope you don't avoid customs, shame I know. Mind you LS are fantastic on there shipping costs, £17 from HK to the UK 3 days. As for Sales in Europe I think it will sell okay, it will not fly off the shleves at the prices quoted, the biggest dissapointment for me is not the machine itself, which is very nice bar crap trigger buttons and phones, its the software, they need more original titles for me.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I wonder what the European Union has to say to this equation:

xe.com said:
25,000.00 JPY
Japan Yen
=
181.768 EUR
Euro

1 JPY = 0.00727072 EUR
1 EUR = 137.538 JPY

and then Sony ripping European consumers off with a price 38% HIGHER (70 EUR) THAN THE ORIGINAL PRICE.

I mean WHAT THE FUCK.

Luckily I have had my Japanese PSP since December. People in the office are now importing like crazy.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Price isn't that insane for the UK, at least. US straight price equivalent is what, £130 excluding tax? We pay 17.5% VAT on top of that, takes it to over £150. I was honestly expecting £199.

Doesn't stop me importing anyway, though. :)

123rl

I expected £250 tbh :lol

Still, I'd rather import or, even better, pick one up from America

Maybe an American can answer this for me: if I bought one that had dead pixels, would I be able to exchange it there and then for another machine?

DCharlie

Banned
"people are going to buy it anyway..."

then Europeans get everything they deserve... they are sending the message
"We like being fucked in the arse, but next time use less lube, more sand, and larger dildos please"

179 GBP... lol... at recent rates, that's nigh on $360

123rl said:
I expected £250 tbh :lol

Still, I'd rather import or, even better, pick one up from America

Maybe an American can answer this for me: if I bought one that had dead pixels, would I be able to exchange it there and then for another machine?

Depends where you buy it. I'm not sure if any stores have official policies post 3/24 but i went through 2 at best buy before i ended up with mine (1st had a wonky square button and 2 dead pixels, 2nd had 2 dead pixels almost touching each other just off center).

Lionheart

Chittagong said:
I wonder what the European Union has to say to this equation:

and then Sony ripping European consumers off with a price 38% HIGHER (70 EUR) THAN THE ORIGINAL PRICE.

I mean WHAT THE FUCK.

Luckily I have had my Japanese PSP since December. People in the office are now importing like crazy.

I can't tell if you're joking or not, but the EU has nothing to say about that. The thing with Nintendo's pricing in Europe, which they were fined for (if you're referring to that) was iirc that:

1. There was a big difference in game prices between countries in the EU.
2. Nintendo didn't allow shops to sell copies of games in their country which they ordered in other countries of the EU.

Those who just received their value pack from DVD Soon for £105 must be feeling smug right now, especially those that didn't get hit by customs. I just wish that i was one of them. :(

I got my PSP with WoP and Lumines from VG+ for £240 which is probly what it will cost when it is officially released on September 1st.

Top Bottom