• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European retailers praise PS3 supply chain, Demand is getting 'crazy'

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
morph said:
Everyone is talking about it here in London

Really? I live in London and noone seems to be talking about it.

But I guess if you mix with impressionable nerds then they might be talking about it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
DCharlie said:
u av2 bi Ps3 , iz bad. Mong lik u lik Xbx

I can't read this :lol :lol

But I guess if you mix with impressionable nerds then they might be talking about it.

:lol :lol when will you stop

pswii60 said:
And exactly how long has English been used in America?

7 years. Well, not really true. We stopped using it back in the 90s. Now I have no idea what language we speak.

pswii60

Y2Kevbug11 said:
It's not true. If it were really from the UK, there would be at least five words with u's in them that don't have u's.

Allouws you to surf the web

And exactly how long has English been used in America?

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
It's a strange situation, I don't know what to believe. I would have expected lots of hype (as there is with any console) and brilliant launch sales, but the only thing I've actually heard about the PS3 here was radio 1 slagging it off last week. (Radio 1 is the most listened to station in the uk for you americans).

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Sorry I meant the wealthy parts of London.

confirmed : London crazy all over!

everyone in Kensington wants a PS3. The excitement is palpable! Joshua and i will be travelling forthwith to Harrods to partake in the preorder scheme - followed by a Pimms and a light French Salad

Strtham Hill iz il 4 da PS3, rpreznt tha wairlas masif

morph said:
Everyone is talking about it here in London - I am surprised at how many people who don't game have mentioned it to me.

Pretty much every single PS2 owner I know is getting one on launch day and thankfully they won't have to spend weeks hoping to find one.

A lot of them are looking forward to finally putting their HD sets to good use too.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23523

Really?!!! I live in London too and haven't heard a thing... then again I don't get out much these days. If it still had the 98% backwards compatibility (I never had a PS2 and was looking forward to playing 100s of older titles) then it would be a definite purchase, but Sony had to screw things up and remove hardware. Now the new 360 SKU (which isn't completely official) and the PS3 are on a equal footing.

No doubt all of those arsehole city business types will buy up all of the stock as they did with the 360.

EDIT: Added a few extra "!" to differentiate my "Really?" from everybody else's.

morph

Banned
DCharlie said:
Joshua and i will be travelling forthwith to Harrods to partake in the preorder scheme - followed by a Pimms and a light French Salad

Why do Northerners and ex-pats always have this Mary Poppins idealistic view of London :lol

SoVos20

Banned
Shocked at the demand in europe given the price. It is even more expensive in europe than in the U.S. It is over $800 USD in the UK, and it is still selling great.

I don't know what it's like for the commoners in London, but here near hardcore Chester we see the PS3 as being too cheep. The buzz is basically how much of a step down it would be to play it.

Kangu

Banned
Napoleonthechimp said:
Really? I live in London too and haven't heard a thing... then again I don't get out much these days. If it still had the 98% backwards compatibility (I never had a PS2 and was looking forward to playing 100s of older titles) then it would be a definite purchase, but Sony had to screw things up and remove hardware. Now the new 360 SKU (which isn't completely official) and the PS3 are on a equal footing.

Not that you guys aren't getting screwed, but you should wait till we get a list of the titles that will be backwards compatible. If say (best case scenario) the top 1200 games are backward compatible and you never owned a PS2 you should still get a lot of value out of it. Hell, I don't plan on upgrading my PS2 until PC's make all the new consoles look like shit.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
SoVos20 said:
Shocked at the demand in europe given the price. It is even more expensive in europe than in the U.S. It is over $800 USD in the UK, and it is still selling great.
Sweet! He's back!

Console launches are crazy? I am shocked by this news. Almost as shocked as I will be when the PS3 will sell out during it's first month out in Europe.

vasuba

Banned
Sounds to me like we need to set up a subforum for the poor londoners. cant have the rich and poor mingling.

pswii60

Kangu said:
Not that you guys aren't getting screwed, but you should wait till we get a list of the titles that will be backwards compatible. If say (best case scenario) the top 1200 games are backward compatible and you never owned a PS2 you should still get a lot of value out of it. Hell, I don't plan on upgrading my PS2 until PC's make all the new consoles look like shit.

That 1200 number is across both PSOne and PS2 titles according to IGN.

Mmmkay

pswii60 said:
Well jeez, IGN said it so lets forget about all those other places which correctly reported the story.

pswii60

vasuba said:
Sounds to me like we need to set up a subforum for the poor londoners. cant have the rich and poor mingling.

Direct the poor to www.barclaycard.co.uk

I think on March 23rd the credit cards will be coming out across the UK while it further certifies itself as the debt capital of the world. Everyone will be an additional £425+ in debt.

Mmmkay said:
Well jeez, IGN said it so lets forget about all those other places which correctly reported the story.

My bad, but obvious that I touched a nerve there. Some of you guys need to calm down. Listen to Phil Harrison, "Everyone, just calm down".

painey

morph said:
Sorry I meant the wealthy parts of London.

:lol :lol :lol nice man. Im in london and theres hype where i live but some of my own has died after seeing the poor sales figures

Kangu

Banned
pswii60 said:

Really? Isn't PSX emulation all software since the PS2Slim? And aren't there like 5000 PS1 titles? So either PSX emulation has been drasticaly reduced or PS2 bc is for something like 2 titles.

Draft

Isn't there a delightfully british word for Crazy, like I dunno crackers or something?

Demand is getting crackers.

pswii60

Draft said:
Isn't there a delightfully british word for Crazy, like I dunno crackers or something?

Demand is getting crackers.

I haven't heard the expression 'crackers' for about 20 years. You guys watch way too many Richard Curtis movies and think that we all speak in that stupid accent. Damn British movie industry.

morph

Banned
pswii60 said:
My girlfriend read this post and said "Arrogant w*nker!!"

Tell her to give me a call if she wants to do something more interesting than watching you read a gaming forum on a Friday night.

morph said:
Why do Northerners and ex-pats always have this Mary Poppins idealistic view of London :lol
because you're a bunch of stuck up nonces who need a jab to the ribs every now and then to be reminded that London isn't more important than the rest of the country.

SoVos20

Banned
What is even more impressive is the median income in the UK isn't very high, yet it looks like sony could very well sell more PS3 in a week the UK than it did LTD in the U.S percapita wise. Amazing. Sony has outdone themself in the UK.

pswii60

morph said:
Tell her to give me a call if she wants to do something more interesting than watching you read a gaming forum on a Friday night.

Actually we're in the middle of intercourse as I type. I tell you, if you think sand is bad on the beach, you should try popcorn after the NPD results.

EDIT: And, erm, well, you're also on a gaming forum on a Friday night.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Kangu said:
Really? Isn't PSX emulation all software since the PS2Slim? And aren't there like 5000 PS1 titles? So either PSX emulation has been drasticaly reduced or PS2 bc is for something like 2 titles.

Yeah, the two are Eragon and Castlevania: Curse of Darkness.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Doesn't seem to be getting much excitement over here in Australia - everyone wants to get a 360, Wii or both. Saw some girls buy a Wii yesterday when I picked up SSX Blur, and even I think it's time to get a 360 for myself sometime soon.

Only store that seems to be pushing it is EB, every other non-video game franchise that does sell games hasn't got any displays up last time I checked. At $1,000 I suppose it is a bit over the top to expect people to buy one from there. EB had a demo running of PS3 and a few kids tried it out, had to stifle my laughter when they said it's basically like their 360 and gave the controller back to the store assistant

Even EB's trade-in bullshit is alive.. "Trade in 20 Xbox and PS2 games along with your console and buy a PS3 for $699!"

morph said:
oh i see, your girlfriend being off doing something else, asleep or out clubbing without you at 2:45 am makes her so much better than pswii60's...

heaven forebid they share interests!

Draft

morph said:
pimpsmack.gif

LJ11

pswii60 said:

Wired News said:
WN: This is what I mean about you being very on message. And actually speaking of that, one of the things that you had said prior to launch was that backwards compatibility was a "core value," that you were building a platform with PS3 and that it was so important. But now there's a dialing back on the amount of titles that are going to be backwards compatible with PlayStation 3. How do you reconcile that statement of purpose with what's going on right now?

PH: Well, there's a huge amount of games that are available for PlayStation 1 and PlayStation 2. The vast majority of games that people want to play are going to be compatible on PlayStation 3. So I stand by what I've said. I think there's been some confusion in the marketplace about the numbers, but on March 23rd when we launch in Europe there are going to be over a thousand games playable from PS2.

You can read more of Chris Kohler's interview here.

And I think you're right Kangu, IIRC Fafalada mentioned that PS1 is software emulated on all three Sony platforms.

painey

plagiarize said:
because you're a bunch of stuck up nonces who need a jab to the ribs every now and then to be reminded that London isn't more important than the rest of the country.

the city isnt but the inhabitants are :D

SoVos20

Banned
speedpop said:
Doesn't seem to be getting much excitement over here in Australia - everyone wants to get a 360, Wii or both. Saw some girls buy a Wii yesterday when I picked up SSX Blur, and even I think it's time to get a 360 for myself sometime soon.

Only store that seems to be pushing it is EB, every other non-video game franchise that does sell games hasn't got any displays up last time I checked. At $1,000 I suppose it is a bit over the top to expect people to buy one from there. EB had a demo running of PS3 and a few kids tried it out, had to stifle my laughter when they said it's basically like their 360 and gave the controller back to the store assistant

Even EB's trade-in bullshit is alive.. "Trade in 20 Xbox and PS2 games along with your console and buy a PS3 for $699!"

mmm, Sony needs to bring their European PR team to Australia.

morph

Banned
plagiarize said:
London isn't more important than the rest of the country.

But it is.

Let's not turn this into a Londoners vs the rest of the country thing.

You know how bitter you guys get about it.

plagiarize said:

Now this is a good example of the well documented Northern inferiority complex.

morph said:
But it is.

Let's not turn this into a Londoners vs the rest of the country thing.

You know how bitter you guys get about it.
London is the most important city in England, but it isn't more important than the rest of the country put together.

many Londoners have no idea about the world outside their dull city, and you seem to be one of them.

London may generate more than it's fair share of the GDP, but it doesn't generate the majority, and it certainly doesn't house more people than the rest of england.

Napoleonthechimp said:
Now this is a good example of the well documented Northern inferiority complex.
wait... where did i say anything alluding to north or south. i'm talking about London vs the rest of England... in response to a rich person in London thinking his rich friends are representative of how the PS3 is going to sell in England.

SoVos20

Banned
any chance of sony selling more PS3 in one day than nintendo has sold wii since launch. For the UK only. I think their is a good chance, base on past news reports.

Top Bottom