• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European retailers praise PS3 supply chain, Demand is getting 'crazy'

Deku

Banned
Members of the supply chain certainly has a vested interest in selling as many PS3s as they can, given the supply they have. So all hype aside, I think the European picture will be more or less in line with what we've seen elsewhere.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Y2Kevbug11 said:
She was wearing this really hot baby blue bikini. Looks great on her. We come back to the apartment and she turns the shower on. I check GAF while waiting for the water to get warm and now I think I have perma-erectile dysfunction. :(

Jive Turkey said:
She was wearing this really hot baby blue bikini. Looks great on her. We come back to the apartment and she turns the shower on. I check GAF while waiting for the water to get warm and now I think I have perma-erectile dysfunction. :(

So basically, it tied itself in a knot?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I think one thing going for FOne: CE in Europe is how close the console and game launches in contrast to the FOne season. The first race is this Sunday... the console out in less than 6 days. Nice timing. FOne might be the breakout hit for the PS3.

Blablurn

Sometimes history repeats...

It seems like Europe will be PS3-Land again..

*looks at his room*
*sees the PS1, PS2 & PSP*

Yep, definitely!

Just give us Singstar and we're happy!

Z3F

Banned
Merovingian said:
Europa1.JPG

Maybe thats why the Ps3 will be more successfull here?

That's sly of you to show the European from an angle where we can't see her hairy armpits. :lol

Tieno

So this report is only talking about the UK/London?
Well, I hope the same is true for contintental Europe. I pre-ordered a ps3 at two stores (it was free and included a free ps3 game, so whichever one calls first...) last week. At one store I was the 14th pre-order. I HOPE that's enough.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Tieno said:
Well, I hope the same is true for contintental Europe. I pre-ordered a ps3 at two stores (it was free and included a free ps3 game, so whichever one calls first...) last week. At one store I was the 14th pre-order. I HOPE that's enough.

How big of a store was it? If it was EBGames/Gamestop size, then 14 from one of those stores is pretty damn good. If it was from a Toys'R'Us sized store, then, well. Not that good.

vasuba

Banned
Tieno said:

the fact last week you were able to preorder and only be # 14 in line says alot. that close to launch you should have been like preorder #90 lol. seriously though it seems odd a week before launch and preorders aren't ending and they don't seem that astronomical in number either.

First week will get mega sales but then there going to drop hard imo, also GAME will do ANYTHING to sell a new item so never trust half the stuff they put on there made-in-5-minutes posters, it's also a different poster per store too depending on the manager.

Tieno

vasuba said:
the fact last week you were able to preorder and only be # 14 in line says alot. that close to launch you should have been like preorder #90 lol. seriously though it seems odd a week before launch and preorders aren't ending and they don't seem that astronomical in number either.
Nah man, it's a pretty small store. With my 360 I pre-ordered it at a speciality video game store a 200-300 meters further down the block a month in advance and I was about the same in line (17-18) and got mine on launch. People here in Belgium aren't that big on pre-ordering I think (especially a 600euro console). There are about 3-4 stores in a 1km radius that take pre-orders too and are much more agressive about it.

Besides, they literally just called me a minute ago saying I can pick up my ps3 this friday. It's almost surreal. Woot! Now I only need Resistance as the free game, going to bere there when the store opens.
I'm just glad I don't have to jump through hoops like the PS3 and 360 launches in the USA.

Forsete

Gold Member
morph said:
A lot of them are looking forward to finally putting their HD sets to good use too.

Same for me. Other than my PC, I dont have any other HD source. :(
And my PC isnt much of a HD source anyways. It cant play Matroska type HD movies without dropping frames. Weird since I have a 3.4GHz P4 HTT processor.

Oh well, bring on PS3.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Merovingian said:
Hoyl ****ing shit.

game-bluewater.jpg

wait, "to 3 or not to 3"

Does that imply that everyone already has a wii and a 360?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Eteric Rice said:
At least we brush our teeth.

:lol
you're referring to an English stereotype, not a European one.

What I learned from this thread:
Englishmen are bizarre but they do brush their teeth.

What I learned from morph (not only in this thread):
Tesco is the European Walmart, they sell more consoles in a minute than Game in a year.
Being super wealthy is great because you have friends who talk about PS3.
Likewise being poor sucks.
The northern part of the UK is a inhabited by a lot of unemployed miners.

I think we should see more threads by morph, you learn a whole lot.

Oh god. How can people allready say this launch is going to be a-never-seen-before-success on the base of such a vague statement from retailers who want to create as much hype as possible for the launch.

I'm not saying the launch will suck no matter what, I really hope they'll sell a lot of PS3 because otherwise Sony is pretty much screwed, but PS3-fans shouldn't set their expectations to high, because we all know how that turned out in Japan and US. OMG peoples getting shot 4 PS3!! and the likes...

Jesus morph, you really are deluded aren`t you?

A quick summary of my morning, I get up, check the email, which contains emails from 2 internet firms begging me to order a PS3. I thn go to the supermarket (ASDA in my case) where they also prominently claim that they have plenty of PS3 for launch day.

Needless to say, there is a distinct lack of people swarming around the desk,despite the fact that I live in the poncey south.

pswii60

Souldriver said:
Oh god. How can people allready say this launch is going to be a-never-seen-before-success on the base of such a vague statement from retailers who want to create as much hype as possible for the launch.

I'm not saying the launch will suck no matter what, I really hope they'll sell a lot of PS3 because otherwise Sony is pretty much screwed, but PS3-fans shouldn't set their expectations to high, because we all know how that turned out in Japan and US. OMG peoples getting shot 4 PS3!! and the likes...

It will be the biggest launch in UK history because it has the largest amount of supply in UK history. Consoles always sell out at launch. On that basis, if Sony ship 1.5 million consoles to Europe as is rumoured, they may add 1.5m to their total userbase count in a DAY.

pswii60 said:
It will be the biggest launch in UK history because it has the largest amount of supply in UK history. Consoles always sell out at launch. On that basis, if Sony ship 1.5 million consoles to Europe as is rumoured, they may add 1.5m to their total userbase count in a DAY.

This console will not sell out at launch. I guarantee you that!

pswii60 said:
I really doubt that IF they had 1.5mln consoles at launch day, they'd all sell out. But that's just all guessing. We'll have to see how things turn out.

Tieno

What this big supply does is cause some good competition between the retailers. I've seen some awesome deals here for pre-ordering a ps3. Free ps3 game of choice, 100-150 euro store credit, free tickets to an amusement park, free Blu-Ray movie etc. No forced bundle shit.

Forsete

Gold Member
Tieno said:
What this big supply does is cause some good competition between the retailers. I've seen some awesome deals here for pre-ordering a ps3. Free ps3 game of choice, 100-150 euro store credit, free tickets to an amusement park, free Blu-Ray movie etc. No forced bundle shit.

No.. thats desperation! <source: GAF analysts>

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Onix said:
Obviously not.

Implying PS3 will have record breaking sales that set the industry on fire however probably is.

then I'll state it. PS3 *will* have record breaking sales that set the industry on fire.

Biggest launch to date in the UK at least is 105k units over the opening weekend. That was the Wii. 360 did 70k units.

I'd expect Sony to be shipping in at least 200k units into the UK. I expect nothing less than a record breaking weekend - partly because its PS3 in a strong Sony territory, partly because for the first time ever they have plenty of stocks compared to previous launches which were severely supply constrained

At a stretch they may even pull off a 250k launch weekend, which would beat the previous record by over 2x, and give them a nice round number for headlines. Sony know they need some good press to kickstart them in Europe

I'd expect Sony to be shipping in at least 200k units into the UK. I expect nothing less than a record breaking weekend - partly because its PS3 in a strong Sony territory, partly because for the first time ever they have plenty of stocks compared to previous launches which were severely supply constrained

The UK is getting 220,000 units, however signs on the highstreet are that they haven't sold out of allocated stock. Every store has a billboard outside proclaiming that they can still guarantee a PS3 for launch day. No matter how many they sell, having stock sitting on shelves still gives the appearance of failure.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Bildi said:
Well duh, PAL gamers like waiting for releases and Sony has definitely met their expectations.

That's true, however I wonder how long it's gonna last once a lot of them realize they needed to own an HDTV. I do think Europe could be the PS3's strongest market, even though it's the region where it will eventually face the most odds in. They're doing a good thing by taking advantage of the launch momentum, that's for sure, cause afterwards it's gonna get harder. Luckily for Sony they will have plenty of supply this time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
RubberJohnny said:
The UK is getting 220,000 units, however signs on the highstreet are that they haven't sold out of allocated stock. Every store has a billboard outside proclaiming that they can still guarantee a PS3 for launch day. No matter how many they sell, having stock sitting on shelves still gives the appearance of failure.

Consoles sold out and frustrated gamers = forum bile.
Consoles not sold out and lots of people happy with their purchase = forum bile.

You can't win either way it seems. At least Sony are trying an alternative to the usual car wreck that launches are.

The Innocent X said:
Jesus morph, you really are deluded aren`t you?

A quick summary of my morning, I get up, check the email, which contains emails from 2 internet firms begging me to order a PS3. I thn go to the supermarket (ASDA in my case) where they also prominently claim that they have plenty of PS3 for launch day.

Needless to say, there is a distinct lack of people swarming around the desk,despite the fact that I live in the poncey south.

Yes, because advertising is 'begging' now. There is a large consumer electronics launch coming next week. Doesn't it make sense for retailers to try and get a piece of that pie?

reilo said:
I think one thing going for FOne: CE in Europe is how close the console and game launches in contrast to the FOne season. The first race is this Sunday... the console out in less than 6 days. Nice timing. FOne might be the breakout hit for the PS3.

Nah f1 isnt so popular in the uk, i cant speak for the rest of europe.

Top Bottom