• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Preseason 2017... anyone? (gifs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
I know. I know. How about looking at something positive for a change. You know. Crazy Europeans.
And Australia.

Romania-Vampire-Eurovision-Gif-Meme-2013.gif

tumblr_inline_nk5be0U0Z81to0uav.gif

moldovan-eurovision-o.gif

My Greek relatives are super hyped for Eurovision this year and I found out why. One of the most popular Greek singers will represent the nation with a song written by the guy who composed the song for Russia in 2016. After missing the finale for the first time ever in 2016, Greece seems determined to be one of the front-runners this year. Her name is Demy. I like her. Vote for her. 12 Points. (Her song hasn't been chosen yet.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGP_2DmollE

That brings us to the nations that have chosen their songs at this point.

Georgia - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQvwm2PdFrg

Belarus - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE64fKApyZM

Finland - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XQ0VNmzMIE

UK - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkNQIShMZfY

UK's lyrics. Right? Right?

Anyway, here are more gifs (I did warn you).

27-Moments-Eurovision-2013.gif

tumblr_inline_mn0iiv7ZPV1qz4rgp.gif

R3S0iMj.gif

eurovision2012turkey.gif

Let's get all European in here! And Australian.
Mate.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I personally think out of the 6 songs the UK had to choose between there weren't really any with a chance, which is a bit of a shame

Schäm dich Oti, I almost missed this thread

I'm only slightly behind this year but I've been watching every preselection competition thus far.

All of the chosen songs at this point are really disappointing -- except for Blackbird (Finland), which I absolutely love and was surprised to see win considering the support Circle of Light had from international fans. It's way too plodding and dark for ESC but I'm very happy with the Finns.

The BBC continues their active hatred of Eurovision. All of the songs this year were garbage, unsurprisingly, including the winner.

Of the preselection contests who have released songs, Supernova (Latvia), Eesti Laul (Estonia), A Dal (Hungary), and even Eurovizijos 2017 (Lithuania) this year have more than a few songs that are worthy. The Baltic countries are putting on some really good shows given their size. Iceland has a pretty good selection compared to the last few years, too.

Israel has some great performers competing this year, so hopefully the song is good. Armenia's competition was actually quite fantastic and I hope they follow the same format for next year.

Of course all everyone can talk about is the return of Loreen.

wait whaaaaaaaat

why did this not win?

This wasn't a competing song! She was the host and performed during the voting. She's competing in Melodifestivalen (Sweden) this year instead.

Dehnus

Australia? I never knew they were in.... when did that happen.. and How? I mean.... Since Russia is in.. Japan would be closer.

So... why not let Japan in then as well? And the USA, I mean with Trump there we might get some funny shit tweets out of it.

Let's just make it into "WorldVision Song Contest then" :D.

oti

Banned
Schäm dich Oti, I almost missed this thread

I'm only slightly behind this year but I've been watching every preselection competition thus far.

All of the chosen songs at this point are really disappointing -- except for Blackbird (Finland), which I absolutely love and was surprised to see win considering the support Circle of Light had from international fans. It's way too plodding and dark for ESC but I'm very happy with the Finns.

The BBC continues their active hatred of Eurovision. All of the songs this year were garbage, unsurprisingly, including the winner.

Of the preselection contests who have released songs, Supernova (Latvia), Eesti Laul (Estonia), A Dal (Hungary), and even Eurovizijos 2017 (Lithuania) this year have more than a few songs that are worthy. The Baltic countries are putting on some really good shows given their size. Iceland has a pretty good selection compared to the last few years, too.

Israel has some great performers competing this year, so hopefully the song is good. Armenia's competition was actually quite fantastic and I hope they follow the same format for next year.

Of course all everyone can talk about is the return of Loreen.

I wasn't actually planning on starting this thread but my Greek friends and relatives wouldn't shut up about Demy. I don't think I will follow the preseason too closely tbh. But feel free to post whatever you want. I know you watch all the national finals which sounds NUTS to me.

Tugatrix

This year my country is trying too hard, all the major musicians are pooling their talent on this... I don't know where this will lead

Since last year's mediocre showing I've been less interested in following the acts as they get revealed. This year is looking mighty mediocre as well. Gotta keep the hope for some good trash.

I wasn't actually planning on starting this thread but my Greek friends and relatives wouldn't shut up about Demy. I don't think I will follow the preseason too closely tbh. But feel free to post whatever you want. I know you watch all the national finals which sounds NUTS to me.

I know very little about the Greek pop scene, but I know in the offseason the "Big Three" names floated for Greece were Katerina Stikoudi, Tamta (who was also suggested for Georgia given her heritage), and Demy, with the latter two considered the best shot for Greece to do well.

Hopefully the song is good. Greece deserves better than only 2 good songs in the last decade. I'm not too confident about the Germans this year, either :/

oti

Banned
I know very little about the Greek pop scene, but I know in the offseason the "Big Three" names floated for Greece were Katerina Stikoudi, Tamta (who was also suggested for Georgia given her heritage), and Demy, with the latter two considered the best shot for Greece to do well.

Hopefully the song is good. Greece deserves better than only 2 good songs in the last decade. I'm not too confident about the Germans this year, either :/

Demy is the bigger deal, I think. She's had multiple #1 songs and she's super young still. I think Greece was kinda hurt by the 2016 result, when one guy nominated their friends to represent Greece. There was a huge uproar. It was kinda refreshing to see a nation caring so much about Eurovision. The team is there. The National Broadcaster calls it the dream team or something.

I have no idea about Germany in this year's contest.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
UK is always about 10 years behind Eurovision trends. We've finally ditched kitsch quirk and stumbled into soulful sopranos. In another 10 years, we'll reach Europop only to find out everyone else has moved on again.

addik

I am soooo ready.

More funny entries please and less serious ones like the ones we had from the past 2 years.

2014 still had a good ratio of good/boring/so bad it's good.

s_mirage

UK is always about 10 years behind Eurovision trends. We've finally ditched kitsch quirk and stumbled into soulful sopranos. In another 10 years, we'll reach Europop only to find out everyone else has moved on again.

It's the bloody BBC; it's quite clear that they have no real desire to win the competition. The song selection process looks like a fix (50/50 viewer/jury system for songs the BBC have already preselected), and they never try to increase a songs chances by putting effort into/spending money on things like staging.

Peru

Last year's final wasn't bad, a lot fewer ballads than usual. Of course some of the best songs are always lost in the semi-finals. The lousy fucking jury is mostly to blame for this, as they'll never give what they deem 'novelty' acts credit.

Booked tickets for the Swedish finals, front seats! Hype!

Lucky, it's going to be a stacked year with so many returnees and anticipated songs. Not a fan of Clara Henry or David Lindgren though. With the new system of rotating Melfest hosts we'll probably not see them next year but I thought Gina Darawi/Danny Saucedo/Måns and especially Lena Philipsson were great.

It's the bloody BBC; it's quite clear that they have no real desire to win the competition. The song selection process looks like a fix (50/50 viewer/jury system for songs the BBC have already preselected), and they never try to increase a songs chances by putting effort into/spending money on things like staging.

Yeah there's been a lot of frustration with the Beeb in the last few decades. After Terry Wogan died, Christer Björkman (Swedish head of delegation and a constant ESC presence) slammed him and Graham Norton, basically accusing them of being unnecessarily nasty to the performers and coming off as elitist pricks. It may have been a dick thing to say but lots of ESC fans feel the same and feel that the attitude is pervasive there, where the BBC feels the competition is beneath them.

Sad, because it's definitely not politics preventing them from winning again.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
it's the only big event I LOVE to watch. my best friend and I have been watching it "together" since 2009. We chat in line, while drinking.

it's awesome.

Kanhir

Yesss, was looking forward to this thread.

giphy.gif

Melodifestivalen in two days! I'm keeping myself deliberately out of the loop this year so I can be surprised and delighted as the semis air each week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom