• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2012 |OT| Europe's guilty pleasure since 1956

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCX

M3vz5.png

Almost all countries have chosen their songs for this year's Eurovision so I thought it might be fun to start a new thread. Also I'm having a hangover Saturday so I got nothing better to do.

Participants in semi-final 1:

First half:

1. Albania Rona Nishliu - Suus
2. Belgium Iris - Would You
3. Finland Pernilla Karlson - När Jag Blundar
4. Greece Eleftheria Eleftheriou - Aphrodisiac
5. Iceland Gréta Salóme & Jónsi - Never Forget
6. Latvia Anmary - Beautiful Song
7. Montenegro Rambo Amadeus - Euro Neuro
8. Romania Mandinga - Zaleilah
9. Switzerland Sinplus - Unbreakable

Second half:

10. Austria Trackshittaz - Woki Mit Deim Popo
11. Cyprus Ivi Adamou - La La Love
12. Denmark Soluna Samay - Should've Known Better
13. Hungary Compact Disco - Sound Of Our Hearts
14. Ireland Jedward- Waterline
15. Israel Izabo - Time
16. Moldova Pasha Parfeny - Lăutar
17. Russia Buranovskiye Babushki - Party For Everybody
18. San Marino Valentina Monetta - The Social Network Song

Semi-final 2:

First half:

1. Belarus Litesound - We Are The Heroes
2. Bulgaria Sofi Marinova - Love Unlimited
3. Macedonia Kaliopi - Crno i Belo
4. Malta Kurt Calleja - This is the night
5. Netherlands Joan - You And Me
6. Portugal Filipa Sousa - Vida Minha
7. Serbia Zeljko Joksimovic - Lane Moje
8. Ukraine Gaitana - Be My Guest

Second half:

9. Bosnia & Hertzegovina Maya Sar - Korake Ti Znam
10. Croatia Nina Badrić - Nebo
11. Estonia Ott Lepland - Kuula
12. Georgia Anri Jokhadze - I'm A Joker
13. Lithuania Donny Montell - Love is blind
14. Norway Tooji - Stay
15. Slovakia Max Jason Mai - Don't close your eyes
16. Slovenia Eva Boto - Verjamem
17. Sweden Loreen - Euphoria
18. Turkey Can Bonomo - Love Me Back

Automatically in the final:

1. Azerbaijan Sabina Babayeva - When The Music Dies
2. France Anggun - Echo (You And I)
3. Germany Roman Lob - Standing Still
4. Italy Nina Zilli - L'Amore È Femmina
5. Spain Pastora Soler - Quédate Conmigo
6. United Kingdom Engelbert Humperdinck - Love Will Set You Free

Top 10 winner candidates right now according to oddschecker.com:

1) Sweden
Loreen - Euphoria
qNTf1.jpg

2) Italy
Nina Zilli - L'Amore è Femmina
nhDrH.jpg

3) Russia
Buranovskiye Babushki - Party For Everybody
qNIbN.jpg

4) Serbia
Zeljko Joksimovic - Nije ljubav stvar
OJIUf.jpg

5) United Kingdom
Engelbert Humperdinck - Love Will Set You Free
SZRaZ.jpg

6) Iceland
Gréta Salóme & Jónsi - Never Forget
ByBNz.jpg

7) Romania
8. Mandinga - Zaleilah
p7EdX.jpg

8) Spain
Quédate conmigo - Gala
dqUff.jpg

9) Denmark
Soluna Samay - Should've Known Better
XgEzX.jpg

10) Ireland
Jedward - Waterline
KhrlX.jpg

Let's do this!

glDsM.gif

I am fully on board with Russia's entry and would vote for them if I was one of those immensely weird people who actually votes on this thing.

Majine

Banned
Few things make me as sad as Eurovision. Europe has IMO the best music in the world, yet none of it ever appears in this show. What we're left with is the bottompit of what can sometimes barely be called music.

Hoo-doo

Banned
As a person from the Netherlands, I have absolutely no idea who "Joan Franka" is.
Never even heard her name before, but apparently she's representing my country.

Shows how much we care, I guess. I'm staying for the .gif's.

Kinyou

Why not just turn this into a beauty contest already? Seeing the Newscaster during the giveaway of the points is the best part anyway.

Wes

venison crêpe
Already listened to a lot of the entries. My top 3 being: France, Denmark, Cyprus.

Germany and The Netherlands have good entries too.

Humperdink should be hilarious.

I really like the Swedish song. A bit eurodancey like Sash!, but also kinda like We Found Love from Rihanna.

But I'm wondering: wasn't the biggest eurovision rule that vocals have to be live, no matter what? That Swedish song clearly has backing vocals during the chorus, yet I only see the girl. I thought that was against the rules. Pre-recorded backing vocals mask off key singing.

As a person from the Netherlands, I have absolutely no idea who "Joan Franka" is.
Never even heard her name before, but apparently she's representing my country.

Shows how much we care, I guess. I'm staying for the .gif's.

Please don't try to find out.
She performed sporting feathery, native-american headgear, complete with Pocahontas back-up singers. Out-of-tune, but it has earworm potential. TROS people like it, that's all you need to know

Erasus

I kinda like ours (Sweden), though I liked Lisa Myskowsiks a bit better
http://youtu.be/0coeSZrSm30

Dennmark is nice too, haaaaaaaaaaawt gurl and kinda nice, if a bit bland song

Russia does a lordi, its hilarious

JCX

Go Russia!

I remember a while ago NBC bought the rights to a Eurovision type contest, just with the 50 states. Probably won't ever happen now considering the Voice's success.

Even joke entries need to have some quality to them. These Russian Grandma's are just plain bad in every possible way and don't deserve the attention they get.

THIS is a joke entry done right.

I voted for Lordi way back when. Was glad to see Apocalyptica perform the following year. Always nice to see things mixed up a bit.

GCX

Even joke entries need to have some quality to them. These Russian Grandma's are just plain bad in every possible way and don't deserve the attention they get.
It's pretty cool though that they are singing in Udmurt, one of the native languages Russia has tried to destroy for a long time.

Peru

Would be nice to have the semi-final lists consist of links instead of an image so people can just click their way to sample the goodness.

I know they're favorites every year and always fail, but this year I really feel Sweden should take it.

Wes

venison crêpe
I really like the Swedish song. A bit eurodancey like Sash!, but also kinda like We Found Love from Rihanna.

But I'm wondering: wasn't the biggest eurovision rule that vocals have to be live, no matter what? That Swedish song clearly has backing vocals during the chorus, yet I only see the girl. I thought that was against the rules. Pre-recorded backing vocals mask off key singing.

I think that's only for the actual performance on the night of the contest. The vocals have to all come from people on the stage - they could be wearing all black and have no lighting on them throughout the whole performance but it would still be allowed.

For each countries personal choice of nomination process it doesn't matter/rules are whatever they choose.

I think that's only for the actual performance on the night of the contest. The vocals have to all come from people on the stage - they could be wearing all black and have no lighting on them throughout the whole performance but it would still be allowed.

For each countries personal choice of nomination process it doesn't matter/rules are whatever they choose.
Ah, that's why I figured.

During the melodien festival (or how it is called again?) this was allowed, but during the actual eurovision contest either the song will be less nice, or there'll be 2 girls in the background singing along.

It's pretty cool though that they are singing in Udmurt, one of the native languages Russia has tried to destroy for a long time.
That is nice I guess.

Peru

I'm beginning to doubt your commitment to this revered institution!

Denmark's song is "pleasant" but will never ever win, odds way too low. But these bookmaker favorites always change a bit as the songs settle among the 'in crowd'. I haven't listened to most tracks, though, so I'm yet to find out of there's anything good.

Wes

venison crêpe
I'm beginning to doubt your commitment to this revered institution!

Denmark's song is "pleasant" but will never ever win, odds way too low. But these bookmaker favorites always change a bit as the songs settle among the 'in crowd'. I haven't listened to most tracks, though, so I'm yet to find out of there's anything good.

There's no clear frontrunner at this stage like Norway's Fairytale was for sure. Last year the favourite at this stage was the French opera song I believe. Not all of the nominated songs have been chosen/released yet either.

Truly straddles the line between 'so bad its good' and 'irredeemably awful' in the way that Europe seems to be particularly adept at without being too self-aware

Zutroy

THIS is a joke entry done right.

Every year I forget about this song, then somebody brings this delight back into my life! I'll be obsessed for a week now!

Anyway, Swedish chick kinda sounds like Beyonce.

Russia are mental. One of them will probably die on the night.

What was the incident that happened last year? Was it a wardrobe malfunction or a dancer fell? I remember it happening, just not what actually happened. I think it was maybe in the opening performance?
[E] Actually saying that it might have been two years ago now.
[E2] Google seems to suggest I'm thinking of the random who joined Spain's performance!

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The UK entering Engelbert Humperdinck is the only thing that matters.

1288304189_engelbert-humperdinck-remember-i-love-you-1987.jpg

There is your winner, concede gracefully.

Jamie OD

I always look forward to the contest. There is some surprisingly good songs on offer but they are usually hidden behind the more bizarre entries. I see it as a bit of harmless fun, too bad a few of the older people here in Ireland still take it seriously due to our glorious past in the contest.

So yeah, we're sending over Jedward again. I've no problem with that. Their personality fits in well with what the contest is now and they are popular enough to qualify for the final and hopefully finish in the top half of the table. I can't bear to think what it will be like if they and the Russian women have some sort of interaction together in the lead up to the event.

demented

I never really follow eurovision much but I fucking love this year's song from us, video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Yzw09JcZHXc

It's not totally a joke song I'd say, he is really popular singer and he does what you can call hm "smart" music I guess, you need to understand it and it's not for everyone, but this song is awesome and says a lot about us and eurosong.

Can post lyrics, can be hard to understand sometimes, even for me, it's english with heeeavy accent and some of our words mixed in.

P.S. He said he's mostly doing it to support tourism here(and for money I bet) because in past he had strong opinion about this show and many other things :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom