• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2015 |OT| Austro-Australovision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

Jury voting was brought in to fight block voting.
And it seems to have worked somewhat, between 2003 and 2008 it was only the public voting and the jury was introduced in 2009. It leads to a shift from mostly Eastern countries to mostly Western countries. With Norway, Denmark and two times Sweden, it seems to lead to a certain part of the continent being advantaged.

mr-paul

We (the UK) actually voted Lithuania as our favourite song, which I'm pleased about (I voted for them!). The gay kiss obviously went down well.
Poland were second though. And we know that's not because the song is good, probably down to the number of Polish people in the UK! Their song was AWFUL. - Just checked and Ireland's top two were exactly the same!

Everything else looks quite sensible, although Italy are too high for my tastes - didn't get the appeal at all, and Georgia too low! I do think though that the way they combine the votes is wrong though. The judges should only give their top ten, which is then combined with the public's top ten. Last year Poland were our favourite act (boobs), but the judges ranked them something like 22nd, so they got no points.

Moon

Banned
We (the UK) actually voted Lithuania as our favourite song, which I'm pleased about (I voted for them!). The gay kiss obviously went down well.
Poland were second though. And we know that's not because the song is good, probably down to the number of Polish people in the UK! Their song was AWFUL. - Just checked and Ireland's top two were exactly the same!

Everything else looks quite sensible, although Italy are too high for my tastes - didn't get the appeal at all, and Georgia too low! I do think though that the way they combine the votes is wrong though. The judges should only give their top ten, which is then combined with the public's top ten. Last year Poland were our favourite act (boobs), but the judges ranked them something like 22nd, so they got no points.

Pretty sure it was a guy and a girl who kissed

Edit, my wife has since corrected me, guess i didnt notice the background

mr-paul

Pretty sure it was a guy and a girl who kissed

Edit, my wife has since corrected me, guess i didnt notice the background

Yeah, it wasn't the most obvious, but following the Ireland referendum, and considering that same sex marriage isn't legal in Lithuania, it was a nice moment.

Peru

What is this, pray tell

Both FYR Macedonia and Montenegro’s jury votes – which account for 50 per cent of the total votes cast – were dismissed, with their points made up entirely from public televoting instead.
The news was confirmed in a statement by Eurovision representatives.
‘The jury results of FYR Macedonia and Montenegro for the grand final have been excluded after consultation of PricewaterhouseCoopers, the contest’s independent voting observer, and upon the decision of the executive supervisor and the chairman of the reference group,’ they said.

Rapstah

Azerbaijan's participation in Eurovision has always been irritating because:

1) Azerbaijan have been busted for cheating in Eurovision by offering bribes. In fact Eurovision had to change their rules because of Azerbaijan's shady bribery tactics (and stop Azerbaijan from trying to cheat again).

Here's an undercover documentary from the BBC (from the UK) called "Eurovision's Dirty Secret Azerbaijan"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oea2XGsIbvI

2) If someone in Azerbaijan votes for Azerbaijan's neighbouring country Armenia, the police have tracked those people down, dragged them to a police station, and questioned those people for why they voted for the "enemy" (and have also tried to arrest them).

Azerbaijan television have also in the past blocked Armenia's entry in Eurovision airing on Azeri television (they literally block the video & sound when it's Armenia's turn to perform).

For the police to get involved and drag people to police stations for simply voting for a song, and for the television bosses to shut down the television signal when a country they don't like is performing....what the fuck is this country thinking, are they another Iran or Saudi Arabia?

3). Nearly all the time, Azerbaijan pays a shitload of money to have non-Azeri's from around the world - put together Azerbaijan's Eurovision entry. The song-writer, song producer, song composer, music video producer, dancers on stage, etc....are 99% of the time foreigners and not Azeri's - and I don't think that's what Eurovision is about.

Since Azerbaijan's entry in Eurovision, just 1 song was actually written and composed by an Azeri. Every other song, Azerbaijan have had to pay other people from other countries to write and compose Azerbaijan's Eurovision entry (and that includes this years entry from Azerbaijan - yet again another song that has been written, produced, and composed by someone in Sweden on behalf of Azerbaijan ).

It's terrible because it makes Azerbaijan look like a joke (and uncreative) that they can't write and compose their own songs, and need to rely on non-Azeri's to do it for them.

Every single Azeri jury member and the Azeri televote placed Armenia last. That's pretty telling.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I knew Sweden was the winner the first time I heard it, but I have to say I'm already sick of it.

And it is quite similar to one song from D.Guetta that is constantly on radio.... or my mind is playing tricks on me.

Every single Azeri jury member and the Azeri televote placed Armenia last. That's pretty telling.

Yep, just like every year, every single juror from Armenia and Azerbaijan voted the other country in last place -- the televote in each country has the other one last, too. The EBU will do nothing about it, of course.

Ikaran

Neo Member
Televoting results:
01. Italy – 366
02. Russia – 286
03. Sweden – 279
04. Belgium – 195
05. Estonia – 144
06. Australia – 132
07. Israel -104
08. Latvia – 100
09. Albania – 93
10. Serbia – 86
11. Armenia – 77
12. Romania – 69
13. Georgia – 51
14. Azerbaijan – 48
15. Poland – 47
16. Lithuania – 44
17. Norway – 43
18. Montenegro – 34
19. Slovenia – 27
20. Spain – 26
21. Greece – 24
22. Hungary – 21
23. Cyprus – 8
24. United Kingdom – 7
25. Germany – 5
26. France – 4
27. Austria – 0

Jury results:
01. Sweden – 353
02. Latvia – 249
03. Russia – 234
04. Australia – 224
05. Belgium – 186
06. Italy – 171
07. Norway – 163
08. Israel – 77
09. Cyprus – 63
10. Georgia – 62
11. Estonia – 53
12. Montenegro – 44
13. Austria – 40
14. Azerbaijan -40
15. Slovenia – 36
16. Lithuania – 31
17. Hungary – 29
18. Greece – 29
19. France – 24
20. Germany – 24
21. Romania – 21
22. Armenia – 15
23. United Kingdom – 12
24. Serbia – 12
25. Spain – 6
26. Albania – 4
27. Poland – 2

Well that was unexpected...

This was my first time seeing any of eurovision (I only saw the first 5 acts) but was it always this silly? I thought it was serious but the tone was anything but.

Also I've seen plenty of people criticise the uk's effort which I have to say surprised me since I love it... apart from the weird scatting part. Are songs judged on how good they are or more on the performance/act? I guess the uk's could've been fancier?

Bri

Televoting results:
01. Italy – 366
02. Russia – 286
03. Sweden – 279
04. Belgium – 195
05. Estonia – 144
06. Australia – 132
07. Israel -104
08. Latvia – 100
09. Albania – 93
10. Serbia – 86
11. Armenia – 77
12. Romania – 69
13. Georgia – 51
14. Azerbaijan – 48
15. Poland – 47
16. Lithuania – 44
17. Norway – 43
18. Montenegro – 34
19. Slovenia – 27
20. Spain – 26
21. Greece – 24
22. Hungary – 21
23. Cyprus – 8
24. United Kingdom – 7
25. Germany – 5
26. France – 4
27. Austria – 0

Jury results:
01. Sweden – 353
02. Latvia – 249
03. Russia – 234
04. Australia – 224
05. Belgium – 186
06. Italy – 171
07. Norway – 163
08. Israel – 77
09. Cyprus – 63
10. Georgia – 62
11. Estonia – 53
12. Montenegro – 44
13. Austria – 40
14. Azerbaijan -40
15. Slovenia – 36
16. Lithuania – 31
17. Hungary – 29
18. Greece – 29
19. France – 24
20. Germany – 24
21. Romania – 21
22. Armenia – 15
23. United Kingdom – 12
24. Serbia – 12
25. Spain – 6
26. Albania – 4
27. Poland – 2

So Italy is the true winner after all.

oti

Banned
This was my first time seeing any of eurovision (I only saw the first 5 acts) but was it always this silly? I thought it was serious but the tone was anything but.

Also I've seen plenty of people criticise the uk's effort which I have to say surprised me since I love it... apart from the weird scatting part. Are songs judged on how good they are or more on the performance/act? I guess the uk's could've been fancier?

You have no idea

oti

Banned
Jury really helped Latvia so I can't complain too much about them. Also some old traditions (Greece-Cyprus) needed to die so that's nice.

Peru

The UK song was judged on how unimaginably shitty it was. By far the worst song, just judging it as a song.

And yeah, this was one of the more serious-faced years of Eurovision.

Kabouter

I think there were a lot of boring songs yesterday, but the British song was the only one that actively annoyed me. Far and away the worst to me, act doesn't even enter my consideration there.

oti

Banned
Conchita really saved this Eurovision though. The hosts were competent but boring and their sketches soulless. Bring back that Merde lady Sweden, she was awesome.

And what was that music between the acts? That was great.

Humidex

I think there were a lot of boring songs yesterday, but the British song was the only one that actively annoyed me. Far and away the worst to me, act doesn't even enter my consideration there.

I dunno, the Armenian one was, on the night, terrible. But basically yes, I'm amazed the UK outscored the French and Germans...

BowieZ

Banned
In March 2014, while a guest on a Swedish cooking show, Zelmerlöw commented that homosexuality was an "avvikelse" to him (which can be translated to "deviation" in English).[49][50] He later repeatedly apologised for his remarks and explained that it was a miscommunication.[51][52] After his Melodifestivalen win a year later, the incident came under international media scrutiny, prompting members of gay, Swedish, and Eurovision media to come to Zelmerlöw's defence.[53][54][55] He later revealed that he would be willing to date another man.[56]
Okay...

Rapstah

They're supposed to be judged by the complete package, both act and song.
By judging each song each jury member will focus on the vocal capacity of the artist(s), the performance on stage, the composition and originality of the song, and the overall impression by the act.
This rule was seriously added between last night and now because it wasn't there yesterday:
To increase diversity, music industry professionals can only take a seat in a national jury if they have not been in the jury during one of the previous two editions of the contest.
Maybe it has something to do with the disqualified juries?

I suspect that the quality of UK songs always reflects how much the BBC is worried about how hosting Eurovision will affect their budget to the point of impacting managers pay.

Televoting results:
01. Italy – 366

See you next year!

iJf1cPsolXo0i.gif

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
My favorite song was the Estonian "Goodbye to Yesterday"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWACbw3cqW0

Televoting results:
01. Italy – 366
02. Russia – 286
03. Sweden – 279
04. Belgium – 195
05. Estonia – 144
06. Australia – 132
07. Israel -104
08. Latvia – 100
09. Albania – 93
10. Serbia – 86
11. Armenia – 77
12. Romania – 69
13. Georgia – 51
14. Azerbaijan – 48
15. Poland – 47
16. Lithuania – 44
17. Norway – 43
18. Montenegro – 34
19. Slovenia – 27
20. Spain – 26
21. Greece – 24
22. Hungary – 21
23. Cyprus – 8
24. United Kingdom – 7
25. Germany – 5
26. France – 4
27. Austria – 0

Jury results:
01. Sweden – 353
02. Latvia – 249
03. Russia – 234
04. Australia – 224
05. Belgium – 186
06. Italy – 171
07. Norway – 163
08. Israel – 77
09. Cyprus – 63
10. Georgia – 62
11. Estonia – 53
12. Montenegro – 44
13. Austria – 40
14. Azerbaijan -40
15. Slovenia – 36
16. Lithuania – 31
17. Hungary – 29
18. Greece – 29
19. France – 24
20. Germany – 24
21. Romania – 21
22. Armenia – 15
23. United Kingdom – 12
24. Serbia – 12
25. Spain – 6
26. Albania – 4
27. Poland – 2

Italy got robbed! :mad:

Joni

And it is quite similar to one song from D.Guetta that is constantly on radio.... or my mind is playing tricks on me.
It is that same genre indeed.

Some stuff is intentionally silly, some stuff seems silly because you have a culture clash.

It was awful. The act was okay, but the singing/song itself were bad.

Italy got robbed! :mad:
Or it performed badly during the general rehearsal. Iirc the jury looks at the rehearsal, not the show itself.

Spain really got robbed, even by the jury? Spain had some solid entries this year and last year. Last year I could understand because the performance wasn't that amazing, but this year had everything. I guess people just don't vote for Spain? :I

Xater

Crazy Lixx has a cover up now of Heroes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BigtJHOQHQ
I like it. The 80s sleaze metal sound really works.

This is definitely an improvement to this song. If this would have been the song yesterday with the same performance I would have been much higher on it.

Spain really got robbed, even by the jury? Spain had some solid entries this year and last year. Last year I could understand because the performance wasn't that amazing, but this year had everything. I guess people just don't vote for Spain? :I

Spain to me was just another pretty lady with a boring song which we had way too many of this year.

Or it performed badly during the general rehearsal. Iirc the jury looks at the rehearsal, not the show itself.

Yeah there's a separate show for the jury that also functions as a rehearsal of sorts for the broadcast.

There was talk that Belgium was hurt a bit during the jury final because there was a lot of smoke onstage from the Australian performance, but it doesn't look like it affected much in terms of standings.

Interesting that the juries liked Norway and hated Serbia relative to the voters. The voters seemingly wanted more upbeat stuff in a year filled with sleepy ballads.

Joni

Yeah there's a separate show for the jury that also functions as a rehearsal of sorts for the broadcast.

There was talk that Belgium was hurt a bit during the jury final because there was a lot of smoke onstage from the Australian performance, but it doesn't look like it affected much in terms of standings.

Interesting that the juries liked Norway and hated Serbia relative to the voters. The voters seemingly wanted more upbeat stuff in a year filled with sleepy ballads.

It might be just in the way the jury works versus how the voting works. At home, I see one song that talks to me and I vote for that. The jury has to judge all of them. If I like Serbia because of the message, I vote for it. I don't have to think how it relates to the Italian song for instance.

Hellraider

The entire German jury had Latvia on number 1.
The Greek jury really hated Israel for some reason. Screw you, they were the better Greece this year. No reason to be so salty "experts".

For some reason both of the Greek presenters REALLY hated Israel. It was literally the only song they would always have something bad to say about.

Just caught a re-run. Zelmerlöw nailed his performance, and the light show really was something else.

tumblr_nlj4t33JES1qb40t4o1_r1_540.gif

This song is going to be on loop throughout the summer though :(

Austrian TV quota for Eurovision reached it's record, almost 2 million viewers watched the finals at ORF (that is of course not counting the people who streamed it, like me).
Meanwhile, the Makemakes take their 0 points loss with humour.

And naturally, the Austrian "quality" press is bringing up the misunderstood "homophobic" line from Zelmerlöw very badly, pushing it through the headlines, while actual quality press only has it within the related articles, but also mentions that it was taken out of context and he had apologized for it (or they don't mention it at all).

And of course, just as Austria ends its display of being open and liberal, we go back to denying equal rights for gays (a bill that brings up the rights of gay couples was denied by the conservative party ÖVP just a few days prior to the finals), and keeping refugees in tent camps.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The UK should hire Noel Gallagher for Eurovision 2016, at least as a writer.

Also, i always root for Russia but this year their song was super boring, i dont get how they got so many votes.
Sweden song was ok i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom