• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2015 |OT| Austro-Australovision

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
Germany deserved better but that's Eurovision. Its appeal is to be bat shit insane and unpredictable. Enjoy your Schadenfreude Europe, it's OK.

Germans saying "Eurovision is trash anyway" in 3,2,1

Violet_0

Banned
I was really rooting for Russia, the poor girl was so excited :(

meh, yet another Song Contest goes to Sweden. There's something bittersweet about Germany and Austria both getting 0 points (undeservedly I should add, the burning piano alone has to be worth a couple points)

driver116

The results always seem odd to me, yes the competition is about the music but in reality I think a lot of people would vote for a particular country not act.

Dinda

Haha Germany 0 Points.

I also heard that Alexa Feser was one of the participants of the qualifying in Germany, is that true? If so, why the hell didn't we vote for her? She would probably also only got a few points but at least it would have been a song to not be ashamed of.

Sesha

There's a legit chance it's never coming back and I'm kind of scared. :(

What was the goofiest entry this year? Slovenia? That wasn't even that goofy! Austria's burning piano was a goofy part of an otherwise non-goofy entry.

It was all pretty tame. Nothing truly crazy, like the Latvian pirates, Russian rapping grandmas, Chiki Chiki or Alf Poier. Spain and Austria has to step up with the troll entries.

I'll even take something like the Moustache guys, the German guy with Dita von Teese, and the Turkish ska band from 2004.

Sigh. I miss 75 cent.

Lena stahp. Your 5 minutes are longtime over

Lav lav lav.

Andaweah thei bloo.

Kuldar

Germany deserved better but that's Eurovision. Its appeal is to be bat shit insane and unpredictable. Enjoy your Schadenfreude Europe, it's OK.

Germans saying "Eurovision is trash anyway" in 3,2,1
We need an "Eurovision was a mistake" gif in German.

Well this was a fun first Eurovision experience. Happy for the Swedes victory, and 3rd place for Italy is a very good result overall. Looking forward to seeing more Eurovision next year!

T.O.P

Banned
tumblr_inline_notextUoE91rp30jy_540.jpg

tumblr_nopw0hOxJP1qci7ofo2_540.gif

tumblr_not8e2596G1rti6djo1_400.gif

gosh

That's so weird. Does that mean the songs are more or less divisive now than over that 2003-2014 period?

semi finals weed out the 0 pointers. the two that got it were the ones that already qualified without going to a semi. if you advance in a semi you are somewhat popular.

Koren

If Germany, UK and France had their songs in Semi-Finals they wouldn't be in Finals. Thus no zero point fiascoes. If there is no competition for that spot there isn't much effort.
France had apparently impressed a bit a couple days ago in the pre-show, I'd be curious to know whether they would have indeed missed the finals. Very possible, though...

Here was the journalists votes :
arton72070.jpg

What I find interesting is that the bookmakers top 5 (Sweden, Russia, Italia, Belgium, Australia) was right, if I'm not mistaken.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
From what I can tell, not really. Most people just scoff at it, and thought it was silly that Conchita won. There wasn't really much "pride" in the victory, I saw more disgust and shame at us sending a drag queen and only winning cause she stands for gay rights. Austria is not as open and modern as it tried to present itself this year. It still has fairly spartan LGBT laws, to the point of the EU having to literally force the Austrian government to adjust their adoption laws to reach EU standards.

Oh yeah, definitely! Austria is not as open as ESC 2014 might suggest. We are actually pretty terrible. Russia singing about peace is not quite on the same level, but we are close.
Just saying, after "we" on last year I assume people cared more than usual. Maybe not.

The results always seem odd to me, yes the competition is about the music but in reality I think a lot of people would vote for a particular country not act.

People prefer music from similar and known cultures, thus neighbors have huge advantages. Also Russia can export their culture to more countries compared to Azerbaijan or Georgia. This gives them some base points, with a decent song they can turn this into a victory.
Similar effect can be seen around balkans and scandinavia but these regions don't have a culture pusher like Russia.

Xater

France had apparently impressed a bit a couple days ago in the pre-show, I'd be curious to know whether they would have indeed missed the finals. Very possible, though...

Here was the journalists votes :
arton72070.jpg

What I find interesting is that the bookmakers top 5 (Sweden, Russia, Italia, Belgium, Australia) was right, if I'm not mistaken.

Interesting how much lower Russia is compared to the real deal. Eastern block giving all those points to Russia.

"We won again? God damnit!" - National Swedish TV broadcaster right now.

Well, one more and they'll share the top winner status with Ireland. But Swedish songmakers are really popular in USA/Global market afaik. So their sound might be familiar to many thus pushing them to vote for them.

chadskin

The jury results of F.Y.R. Macedonia and Montenegro for the Grand Final have been excluded after consultation of PwC, the contest's independent voting observer, and upon the decision of the Executive Supervisor and the Chairman of the Reference Group.

In both countries, televoting applied for 100%. The exclusion of two juries will be further discussed in the next Reference Group meeting in June.
https://twitter.com/eurovisionpress

Huh

Xater

Well, one more and they'll share the top winner status with Ireland. But Swedish songmakers are really popular in USA/Global market afaik. So their sound might be familiar to many thus pushing them to vote for them.

Oh yeah, Swedish pop is like super compatible with most people.

oti

Banned
Well I learned what "slay queen" means so it wasn't all for nothing (like the amount of points German got) so that's something. Thank you everyone. It was a great time.

UK's song is still trash though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom