• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVE Online |OT| of Internet Spaceships

I have been curious about this game for quite some time, I've been getting bored with the usuals WoW, GW2, SWTOR, Rift and I just need a change of pace how is the community on here still active I would assume?

GAF is not active, but if you find the right corp, it'll be fun enugh. like my corp we're doing war dec right now

so if i get that 2nd account thing, what would you guys reccomend for a money making alt?

I wants that cash. and if things get really interesting, maybe a stealth bomber thing!

DBT85

Depends what you want to do to get that money. You could just semi AFK mine but it's dull, you could do lvl 4 missions, you could rat in low sec, you could trade.

Manufacturing is kind of fun and little work but with no research slots anywhere you'll never be able to compete without eating in to your own profit, you can still make some, just not as much as everyone that already has BPs researched.

I'm kind of tempted to use that thing (since it costs me nothing) to get a 50 day alt to have a go with some low/null sec ratting or maybe some pew. I don't know. The fact that it won't cost me anything obviously appeals in that regard.

k3yring

It has been awhile since I played but when I did my second account was support/cleanup for my main.
main would clear Sanctums in 0.0 alt would come in with Noctis and loot and salvage it up.
Sadly I ran that into the ground for me and ended up being bored to death of it great money though when done right.

DBT85

Finally managed to get both my combat characters running lvl 4s at the same agent this morning, the next mission on each? Vengeance. I like it when the same mission comes up twice like that, nice and easy to fit for!

Also took a crap load of Armor Plates to Amaar to sell. I've been holding on to all my salvage to make rugs but couldn't find any that used them, turns out there aren't any so on the market they went :). Also been having a fairly good run with selling some rigs I've made, hopefully I can grow that a little.

Also looking more into a pirate/null sec alt on that 51 day thing. I could use my amaar character who only has skill points in killing things, but I don;t know if it's a career/life I want to do properly and I don;t particularly want to expose a character I'm happy with to that. EVE is a vindictive, bloodthirsty vengeful place. Plus my Amarr character has +4 implants in that I'm not quite ready to lose. And I know I'll lose them in the first week if I start piracy.

I've been looking at having the toon join OUCH, he Open University of Celestial Hardship who will train n00bs and don't need minimal SPs and API and shit.

Shazzam6999

Neo Member
If you want to get into low sec look into faction warfare. A lot of pirate corps have turned into fw corps since there's not really any reason not to, and there's some nice benefits (no loss of sec status, plexing oppurtunities, lots of targets).

DBT85

Right, my Pirate character is now alive and kicking. Training won't start until next week since I'm working but I have a lot of info to read!

DBT85

what skillsets you going to go for?

By training I meant training for PvP, not the skills.

As for the skills, the typical for this kind of thing I think, afterburners, MWDs, webbers, disruptors, engineering etc etc.

By all accounts I'll not be flying anything other than a Rifter for possibly 6 weeks so it takes a load off.

Setting the skill queue going was hard work though, like 25 skills for today alone as so many were 8 mins long lol.

By training I meant training for PvP, not the skills.

As for the skills, the typical for this kind of thing I think, afterburners, MWDs, webbers, disruptors, engineering etc etc.

By all accounts I'll not be flying anything other than a Rifter for possibly 6 weeks so it takes a load off.

Setting the skill queue going was hard work though, like 25 skills for today alone as so many were 8 mins long lol.

i meant hybrids, projectile, lasers pew pew

DBT85

i meant hybrids, projectile, lasers pew pew

Oh, at the moment I just need to be able to use autocannons and rockets. I'm sure there will be more information provided as a guide.

The thing is I still don't know if I'm even going to enjoy it, I had some time on a mission op last night on TS and I realised I quite like the silence of playing solo lol.

But then I never ever use a headset for anything so it's probably just getting used to it.

DBT85

Didn't even know it was happening.

Did a bunch of lvl 1 missions on my new pirate/pvp character in a Rifter on Thursday/Friday. Forgot how much more fun there is in those early missions where you have to be a bit more active rather than the lvl 4s in a Raven where you just sit at 60k and shoot missiles at them for a minute until they pop.

Also found these vids on youtube which seem good. Can finally sort my overview now!

http://www.youtube.com/user/EvECoPilot/videos?view=1&flow=grid

won 200m from a raffle in corp. oh yeah.

lvl 5 HM is a long wait (8 days), but t2 railguns is only 4 days. faaaack.

Reaching that point where every skill point is 4-8 days and its tough. when you have 8 diff modules to fit, and they all require almost a full week to train for. ugh.

DBT85

Yeah I hate that stage :(

On the flip side, having a new character who is learning 10-20 skills a day for the first few days is really exciting!

eot

Banned
Having long skills is relieving eventually. Last one I put on was 50 something days and you can just forget about it

So it may have been a poor decision over the other races, but I finished Amarr Frigate V today. Primarily because the covert ops design is my favorite one and that's primarily what I intend to use the skill for. So no maxed Rifter or maxed Caldari frigates even though I'm primarily Caldari otherwise. For frigates I figured it didn't really matter that much since I'm not heavily invested in the weapons skills either way. Most of my offensive SP are in cruiser/BC-sized modules.

Getting covert ops up and running may prove useful if the expansion is going to have an exploration focus. The ships are only ~25mil or so. Much more disposable than having to worry about taking my Tengu out, especially into dangerous areas. I may go back to doing some day tripping of wormholes with this development.

I'm going to cut it really close with BC 5. not going to train it till last month. no offense but Other skills have preference.

Getting into my bad habit of buying a nicely fitted ship and running it straight into a gatecamp. freaking instant warp scrambling bastards.

DBT85

Have you had any training in how to not get caught? That's what OUCH does, that's why I joined them.

As for BC5, I still don't know if I can be arsed, I'll certainly get all the Cruisers to 3 so that I get Racial BC 4 on all of them.

On my shooting only character It's going to take 34.5 days to get All frigs to 4, Cruisers to 3, Destroyers to 5 and BC to 5. But 20 days of that is BC4-5 alone.

On my Caldari main its going to be 38 days as he only has BC3 at the moment.

I'll not bother on my indy trader.

On my new pirate character though it will be ages as he has no implants, and no cruisers or BC trained at all yet! Still don't know if I'll keep him for Pew once I'm done or if I'll just let the account die and take the lessons I learned to my other accounts.

I'm done with all the tiericide nonsense already, so I don't have to worry about it anymore. Except for the command ships thing, but I doubt I'll ever have any interest in flying those, so I don't really care.

DBT85

Well my corp joined an alliance, I mnaged to break through 1bn cash, 3bn total value (only 500m increase in 25 days, pah), and I'm now not at work for 18 days :D

going to do some Epic Arcs.

oh boy oh boy Sniper build coming in 5 days! will keep me entertained before i start BC 5

also, i forgot to hit the "Apply" button for skills after adding a crapload on my alt, and lost like 2 days :C

Shazzam6999

Neo Member
I've had an alt in RvB for a while just because it's so easy to find fights. There are a lot of things I don't like about RvB but for someone who doesn't play a lot it's a good way to find constant combat.

So I fell for a margin trading scam about a month back or so and I just noticed today that I finally recouped 80% of the loss (re-selling the same thing). May have been able to move it at the same price I bought it (or even slightly higher), but I figured just getting most of my ISK back would be a victory, which it is. Had written it off and came back to a pleasant surprise. Apparently the sale happened about a week ago, but I guess I haven't been paying close attention.

In other news, finished Cov Ops IV in the past day, to go with my wrapping up of Amarr Frigate V, so I may do some wormhole fishing/daytripping. A good run without dying could be worth hundreds of millions of (reliable) ISK in a few hours, though a ship loss could be ~60mil to replace (battlecruiser - not risking anything more expensive just going solo). Very low chance of losing the scouting Anathema, but those are cheap enough so long as you don't put a Sisters launcher on them (where the module is worth more than the ship itself.) Will have to swap clones though, as my normal pod is worth ~90mil. Not much escaping from being podded in a wormhole.

eot

Banned
One thing to watch out for in wormholes is that sometimes you will spawn close enough to the WH itself that you can't cloak right immediately, so make sure you have an MWD.

So I fell for a margin trading scam about a month back or so and I just noticed today that I finally recouped 80% of the loss (re-selling the same thing). May have been able to move it at the same price I bought it (or even slightly higher), but I figured just getting most of my ISK back would be a victory, which it is. Had written it off and came back to a pleasant surprise. Apparently the sale happened about a week ago, but I guess I haven't been paying close attention.

In other news, finished Cov Ops IV in the past day, to go with my wrapping up of Amarr Frigate V, so I may do some wormhole fishing/daytripping. A good run without dying could be worth hundreds of millions of (reliable) ISK in a few hours, though a ship loss could be ~60mil to replace (battlecruiser - not risking anything more expensive just going solo). Very low chance of losing the scouting Anathema, but those are cheap enough so long as you don't put a Sisters launcher on them (where the module is worth more than the ship itself.) Will have to swap clones though, as my normal pod is worth ~90mil. Not much escaping from being podded in a wormhole.

man i jelly.

I finally got to sniper build. i have shit support skills and still missing a lot of essential, but dammit if my naga isnt a beautiful sight to see. are you using torpedoes?

DBT85

Had my first bunch of lessons with OUCH tonight, only overview, setting up the eve client and arranging the UI so far but it was still useful. Tomorrow night is bookmarking and D-scan.

Also did 3 or 4 missions with a corp mate and then everyone bundled in to help finish off Angel Extravaganza in the bonus room. Our POS will be online in a few days, we'll be in an Inc alliance in 22 hours.

And my manufactured ripoff rigs are selling nicely :)

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Is it common for players to pay for multiple accounts and play them at the same time? I notice when reading about this game a lot of people suggest having a main character to do whatever you're going to do, and then having another character mining while you play on your main. To do so would require multiple accounts wouldn't it?

If I ever do get around to starting up my account, which I plan on doing after the semester ends (I still have the EVE Online Starter Pack from Amazon that I picked up on sale), I'd like to keep it to one account.

Is it common for players to pay for multiple accounts and play them at the same time? I notice when reading about this game a lot of people suggest having a main character to do whatever you're going to do, and then having another character mining while you play on your main. To do so would require multiple accounts wouldn't it?

If I ever do get around to starting up my account, which I plan on doing after the semester ends (I still have the EVE Online Starter Pack from Amazon that I picked up on sale), I'd like to keep it to one account.

i made an alt to take advantage of the BC update and also to train some hauler skills. ill train some industry in it to create stuff. but im already balls deep by making a 2nd account. End game i was thinking that i could sell it due to its price for quick cash in the future if the need arises.

i promised myself i would not get too intrigued with an MMO again because i DONT want to spend everyday thinking about it, or spending cash on a game that i could spend on more important thing.

i am itching to have a 3rd char making money, but im forcing myself to take things slow.

DBT85

I think most people have an alt account, some people have several, there is just too much to do to be able to do everything particularly well early on, and it's nice to have variety.

It's entirely possible to do it on one account, but remember that you can only train one character per account, so if you made an alt to help you haul stuff or mine then you would have to forgo training on your main to do it.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I think most people have an alt account, some people have several, there is just too much to do to be able to do everything particularly well early on, and it's nice to have variety.

It's entirely possible to do it on one account, but remember that you can only train one character per account, so if you made an alt to help you haul stuff or mine then you would have to forgo training on your main to do it.

It's more of a payment thing for me. I don't want to pay for two separate accounts.

eot

Banned
It's more of a payment thing for me. I don't want to pay for two separate accounts.

A lot of people strive for alt accounts that are self sufficient in terms of ISK so they don't have to pay money for them. I wouldn't get a second account just because "everyone" has one. Lots of people do but lots of people don't and grouping up with other people works just as well.

DBT85

If you can make about 400-450m isk a month you can pay for an account with that. Obviously that's more something you can do after a few months with your main.

eot

Banned
Just don't grind for PLEX, it's the worst and will make you quit. There are countless ways to make enough money for a PLEX passively so it doesn't feel like a grind.

DBT85

Did my first incursions tonight. Was a bit worried as I'd never done one before but I did fine.

Will be doing them again :)

Lost my Naga today. War targets were diddling around all day. i was the only sniper fit (big mistake, i wont make that same mistake of being the only one of my class in a fleet), so i was warping 100 off all our warp ins.

We catch a tornado and hold him until someone with bombs arrives to also kill his pod, just to send a message to stop being dicks to the newbies. so while he's being held his tornado buddy pops in at 100. which was 25km off where i was perched with my sniper.

i knew the shit hit the fan as soon as i saw him warping in because
a) i only have 2-3 months of skills, and he/she probably had years
b) Was quite generously fit in t2 gear and i'm still in t1 shit.
c) was made apparent when it One-Hit KOd me out of my brand new naga.

my poor naga. 2 days planning, waiting for the right skills, and running away from 3 gate camps just to get it into home base. only to lose it the next day. it never hurt anyone ;-;

it never got a chance to. OH WELL! Lesson learned!

Been thinking about picking this game up again lately.

Used to play it a few years ago, for about a year.

I haven't actually played in probably 3-4 expansions now. Skill training online made up the last year, year 1/2-ish of my EVE career.

Somethings been drawing me back to this game. I loved it so much!, But it was just too time demanding.

So I decided if I ever came back, I'd start fresh, play casually, and not get overly involved in corporation management/logistics, etc.

Are there referral programs/trial period still? I wouldn't mind trying it out again, I bet so much has changed in the last few years.

**EDIT: Also, I'd like to ask, where is a good place to start? I really want to focus on PVP. I'm really out of touch with this game, is there any decent starter corps? Is there a GAFFER corp?

DBT85

There are still trials and the buddy programme. The former is 14 days, the latter 21. If you get a buddy invite from someone and you then pay for that account they get either a months sub or a PLEX which is worth between 400-500m.

As for PVP and where to start, I've enjoyed the little time I've spent with the Open University of Celestial Hardship.

http://ouch.artofwar-alliance.com/index.php

They will teach anyone regardless of skill or ability the basics of pvp and surviving in Null sec without getting killed. You have 90 days with them to pass through the modules, once you pass you get 30 days to decide if you want to stay or go. If you stay, you have to help with the training same as everyone else in the corp.

I've been playing the game on and off for a decade and Sunday just gone was the first time I'd used the Dscan or learned anything about safes and tacs and so on.

Null sec here I come.

oh yeah tell me your ingame name so i can blue you and not pop you in the off chance we meet each other in the endless, vast space

5th fucking naga i lose.

i had an alt, i checked to see the system was clear. In the time i logged off and jumped into my character, war targets setup at the gate and fucked me 3 ways from sunday.

I'm heavily contemplating leaving corp for a while. this corp is supposed to be for newbies and having war targets is a nice way to hit the ground running in terms of being forced to learn the aspects of the game.

but when the majority of members are barely out using cruisers and our wts are in fucking 10+ fleets of t2 battleships its a little disheartening.

eot

Banned
The weirdest things happen in EVE.

Last night we got word that someone had spotted a Wyvern in Kehjari. One of our guys had an alt nearby and went to check it out. He finds the Wyvern on an FW plex (where it has no business being), but it cloaks. We scramble to get everyone online and get some HICs (Heavy Interdictors) over there. Almost right away however, he uncloaks and warps to a station. In case you didn't know, Supercarriers can't dock, so he ejects from his ship and docks his pod, because you have to be docked to change corporation.

The system was out of Titan bridge range, so we immediately jump in some Carriers with HICs in their SMA that they can eject and board to tackle the Wyvern, then we bring in our dreads. If we'd been slightly faster we might've been able to steal it, but we didn't get anyone who could fly it in there fast enough. It's also a bit tricky because you can't board a ship that's being targeted unless you're the original owner, so everyone would have to unlock him. Anyway, we got the kill.

http://kb.snuffboxcorp.com/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=61139

eot

Banned
I'm not sure if this is interesting to any of you guys, but I got into one of the coolest fights of my EVE 'career' last nigh and a corpmate uploaded a video of it. The short of it is that we were fighting a local prirate group who called for help from the CFC (it was actually a planned trap). We ended up outnumbered 4:1 but still came out ahead in the ISK war by a wide margin and somehow saved almost all our capitals.

Anyway here's the video, it's mostly sped up with music but there are some fleet comms sprinkled throughout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDHZA7_5Si4

Here's also a killboard link:
http://dog-net.org/brdoc/?brid=17987

DBT85

Wow looks like you had fun!

We got our POS up on Tuesday, so I've finally sorted moving my stuff around to use and abuse the facilities. I've also finally started fitting my CNR with some more faction gear as it only had a fancy xlarge shield booster and amp before, now it has faction ammo and BCS, hopefully will have navy launchers in a week or so as I'm still a ways from T2 launchers.

Still not done my homework for OUCH, or any more Incs since my first batch, but gradually my characters are moving toward where I've wanted them since coming back to the game. My Caldari main is now on his Tiericide training and my Amaar will be starting in the next week or so.

I'm not sure if this is interesting to any of you guys, but I got into one of the coolest fights of my EVE 'career' last nigh and a corpmate uploaded a video of it. The short of it is that we were fighting a local prirate group who called for help from the CFC (it was actually a planned trap). We ended up outnumbered 4:1 but still came out ahead in the ISK war by a wide margin and somehow saved almost all our capitals.

Anyway here's the video, it's mostly sped up with music but there are some fleet comms sprinkled throughout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDHZA7_5Si4

Here's also a killboard link:
http://dog-net.org/brdoc/?brid=17987

nice fght! which corp is this?

So I've kind of run out of things that increase my dps (without switching type) or defenses at a reasonable rate of return timescale, so far the past couple weeks I've been boosting my exploration skills some more in anticipation if Odyssey.

Since I'm going out if town for about a week starting tomorrow I had to figure out what to toss in my queue - something that was longer than a week and could feel better about ignoring. So I finally went for it:

Motherfucking Salvaging V. Salvager IIs here we come!

DBT85

Motherfucking Salvaging V. Salvager IIs here we come!

Nice :) My Noctis is T2 fitted and it's understandable why people call the thing a hoover. I run 5 tractors and 3 salvagers and it just chews through even the largest piles of wrecks and at crazy ranges.

Finally got Mass Production lvl 5 so I have now got Adv Mass Prod training to lvl 3, already done the same with Lab Ops and Adv Lab Ops. Really getting the most out of the Corp lab slots while nobody else is using them!

Did some more Incursions too, took in 96 million isk after 10% corp tax in about 65 minutes so quite pleased there.

Currently making a lot of stuff every day to sell, mostly at 15-20% margins. I've also been doing some bits nearer 40% but those have a much lower volume so might only shift 10 units in 3 or 4 days. Handy to have in the collection regardless.

Right now I have 800m worth of bits being built, 425m on the market, 60m to go on the market, 400m of salvage to turn into rigs and 190m of minerals for ammo.

Since I came back about 40 days ago my total value has gone form 2b isk to 5b isk which I'm quite pleased with considering I've only really started manufacturing properly in the last 15 days or so and I'm still only doing rigs and cruise missiles.

Since the POS went up I've also now got access to a bunch of researched BPs from the corp so hopefully I can start using those for some other bits. Some cruise missiles are fine for margins but the amount of isk they bring in for the amount of time they take to make is a bit pants. For example, Nova Cruise I can make at approx 29% profit margin after taxes, but they only bring in 100k isk profit per hour to manufacture. One of the rigs I make at about 26% profit margin after tax but they make over 1m isk per hour to manufacture, and they sell in enough volume to be worthwhile.

Hopefully I can get into something a bit more viable long term with minerals soon!

Oh and I have no problem fighting the 0.01 isk battle on the markets, but I get really annoyed when someone comes along and dumps a load of something on the market that is currently going for 5m and they put their price at 4.5m. All they just did is reduce the profit they and everyone else is making, becuase everyone else will just go 0.01 isk lower than that price anyway!

I get it when you only have 1 to sell and want shot fast, but some of these guys are infuriating!

Also it's interesting looking at the market history for certain items, with one item I make going in a 12 day cycle on price. Clearly it starts at say 5m, but costs 3m to make, then over the next 12 days it will drop to selling for 3.5m sale, then the price will flip and start back up again as less people are making it because the profits are lower. Once the price peaks again everyone jumps back on board and the price drops.

All very interesting!

eot

Banned
nice fght! which corp is this?

I'm in Snuff Box but BALEX were also with us in that fight.

Oh and I have no problem fighting the 0.01 isk battle on the markets, but I get really annoyed when someone comes along and dumps a load of something on the market that is currently going for 5m and they put their price at 4.5m. All they just did is reduce the profit they and everyone else is making, becuase everyone else will just go 0.01 isk lower than that price anyway!

I get it when you only have 1 to sell and want shot fast, but some of these guys are infuriating

You have to consider why they might be doing that. The first thing to note is that a lot of commodities in EVE are more elastic than you might think, the traded volume of an item does tend to increase with a lowered price. Similarly the supply of produced items also fluctuates with price and that's part of what creates price oscillations. Low price gives high demand but low supply which pushes the price up, which will lead to a boost in production and eventually an oversupply forcing the prices down again. So it goes on (different items obviously have different dynamics because their supply chains can look very different from one another.)

Never assume that the current market price actually reflects what people are willing to pay. It's not worth 0.01-ing your orders against five other guys when you're competing for just a few sales. The guy who slashes the margins in half and sells five times as much is actually doing the right thing. He might even force you out of the market on purpose! A lot of traders do this when they meet competition, they purposefully cut the margins until people give up.

DBT85

I'm in Snuff Box but BALEX were also with us in that fight.

You have to consider why they might be doing that. The first thing to note is that a lot of commodities in EVE are more elastic than you might think, the traded volume of an item does tend to increase with a lowered price. Similarly the supply of produced items also fluctuates with price and that's part of what creates price oscillations. Low price gives high demand but low supply which pushes the price up, which will lead to a boost in production and eventually an oversupply forcing the prices down again. So it goes on (different items obviously have different dynamics because their supply chains can look very different from one another.)

Never assume that the current market price actually reflects what people are willing to pay. It's not worth 0.01-ing your orders against five other guys when you're competing for just a few sales. The guy who slashes the margins in half and sells five times as much is actually doing the right thing. He might even force you out of the market on purpose! A lot of traders do this when they meet competition, they purposefully cut the margins until people give up.

But that guy who cuts margins in half just gets matched by nearly everyone else minutes later. He's not selling more than anyone else because they all beat his price. Sure some won't make the jump because they can't afford to or just don't want to budge, but enough do, certainly on the things I've been watching.

The one rig I talked about in my post above with the 12 day cycle doesn't have a matching cycle on volume. So reducing the price just meant that people paid less for it, no more were sold, or if they were it wasn't by an amount to offset the cut in margins.

As you said that obviously doesn't follow for everything, some materials fluctuate wildly and others barely change. Some things will sell a bit more if they are a lower price, others seem to just sell x amount every day give or take 10% and that doesn't seem to matter what the price is, it's just something people need.

It's very interesting going through trying to find the things to make money on, trying to get the materials as cheaply as possible but with minimal effort/flying. But regardless, I know where my profit point is, and when someone comes along and just drops the market price by 20% and dumps enough volume to sate the market for a few days I'll join the others in beating the price. And I'll wave my middle finger at my monitor. Why I do that bit I don't know :p

I've also noticed that some salvage parts are used in lots of rigs, and some seem to not be used at all, or used in very small quantities. Obviously some rigs are far more popular than others and all it takes is a few of them to use the same main component in a large enough quantity and suddenly the price is 100x more than some other salvage.

Top Bottom